Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1669453835436187651

Flash is tracking for $170 million opening.

Not terrible, but not great. And not on track to make a lot of money for a movie with a $300 million budget.

They’re talking about the Time Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1669453835436187651

Flash is tracking for $170 million opening.

Not terrible, but not great. And not on track to make a lot of money for a movie with a $300 million budget.

170 is great actually for an opening. If you mean domestic. If that's the worldwide number though... yeah that's gonna be a rough haul on that budget. You better hope the reactions and word of mouth are as good as they were promised to be.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!
Seems to be for worldwide, yeah. Domestic is currently tracking around $70 million, which is Black Adam numbers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Yeah. Those are worldwide figures.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

But they said it was the greatest superhero movie ever made. That doesn't make sense.

Surely it will have great word of mouth and just be a slow burn moneymaker.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Good thing they announced Muschietti for the new Batman movie before his big audition tanked.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is gonna seem like folly considering Spider-Verse is still in theaters, and to be clear I'm not including it in this statement, but I'm definitely hitting a point of diminishing returns on comic multiverse stuff. I wasn't really interested in it before all this, to be fair, but it's getting to the point where it's hard to imagine still having any interest in that concept by the time Secret Wars is out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm not gonna see Flash in theaters because I don't want to give them any money for sticking with Miller.

So the clips and stills I've seen have been hilarious and make me glad I saved the money. Look them up. It all looks so bad. If it's intentional than it's a terrible choice and giving this guy Batman is a huge mistake.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

X-O posted:

Surely it will have great word of mouth and just be a slow burn moneymaker.

Just what you want out of The Flash. A nice, slow burn.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

X-O posted:

But they said it was the greatest superhero movie ever made. That doesn't make sense.
I know you're joking, but was that in an ad or something? I don't listen closely but I haven't heard anything effusive about Flash. The best has been something like "Much better than I feared it would be"

Arist posted:

This is gonna seem like folly considering Spider-Verse is still in theaters, and to be clear I'm not including it in this statement, but I'm definitely hitting a point of diminishing returns on comic multiverse stuff. I wasn't really interested in it before all this, to be fair, but it's getting to the point where it's hard to imagine still having any interest in that concept by the time Secret Wars is out.

For me I don't think its the multiverse per se, but a lot of stuff feels like an ad for its own sequel and its getting a bit exhausting. Flash and Ant Man 3 both feel like movies where the central point is something they want explain so they can use more later. Maybe I'm being unfair to movies I haven't seen.
No Way Home and IttSV definitely used the multiverse just as a side piece for their own complete story. They did it so well they don't really feel like "multiverse" stories.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

StumblyWumbly posted:

Flash and Ant Man 3 both feel like movies where the central point is something they want explain so they can use more later. Maybe I'm being unfair to movies I haven't seen.

no ant-man 3 was definitely made solely to set up kang for other stuff and it stunk

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

I know you're joking, but was that in an ad or something? I don't listen closely but I haven't heard anything effusive about Flash. The best has been something like "Much better than I feared it would be"

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1668375380586012683?t=359ZcvuLIYAJqAO2y4PkFw&s=19

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

StumblyWumbly posted:

A bunch of nobody critics(?) supposedly got to see the movie back in April and many used variations on "The best superhero movie ever made".

A collection
https://www.okayplayer.com/news/the-best-superhero-movie-ive-ever-seen-the-flash-gets-strong-first-reactions.html

https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/1651045947252805633?s=20

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1651045251472310273?s=20

https://twitter.com/ScottDMenzel/status/1651045397975166978?s=20

https://twitter.com/therealsupes/status/1651045759301881856?s=20

This guy I like. The one guy with any kind of spine:https://twitter.com/azalben/status/1651050478145339393?s=20

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 16, 2023

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

StumblyWumbly posted:

For me I don't think its the multiverse per se, but a lot of stuff feels like an ad for its own sequel and its getting a bit exhausting. Flash and Ant Man 3 both feel like movies where the central point is something they want explain so they can use more later. Maybe I'm being unfair to movies I haven't seen.
No Way Home and IttSV definitely used the multiverse just as a side piece for their own complete story. They did it so well they don't really feel like "multiverse" stories.

Gunn was the one who called it possibly the greatest superhero movie of all time. And they've had this weird marketing push where there are stories about people like Stephen King and Tom Cruise praising the film. Things that just appear to be engineered solely for marketing purposes. They're trying so hard to market it this way because they can't market it the normal way, you know where you have the star of the film go and promote it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Specifically Gunn said it was one of the best superhero movies he'd ever seen, and definitely not just because it's his job to help these succeed

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Arist posted:

A single bead of sweat runs down Feige's sweat as he glances at the Secret Wars script.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I went through the same poo poo with these multiversal movies as I did with comics many years ago. Super into it at first, thought it was cool and imagined more possibilities then got completely sick of it, wondering the hell when they'll be back to telling actual stories.

I quit comics because of the interconnected universe crap making it impossible to tell a coherent story over more than 5 issues, and I'm very much nearing that edge with mcu crap. Multiverse stuff is taking the interconnectedness up to 11.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Good thing they announced Muschietti for the new Batman movie before his big audition tanked.

His (very good) direction is far from the problem for this movie, in fact, in lesser hands, it would be way worse, he truly salvaged a lot of it (terrible special fx aside).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kiminewt posted:

I went through the same poo poo with these multiversal movies as I did with comics many years ago. Super into it at first, thought it was cool and imagined more possibilities then got completely sick of it, wondering the hell when they'll be back to telling actual stories.

I quit comics because of the interconnected universe crap making it impossible to tell a coherent story over more than 5 issues, and I'm very much nearing that edge with mcu crap. Multiverse stuff is taking the interconnectedness up to 11.

Plus, a multiverse movie won Best Picture. After EEAAO and the Spider-Verse series, I think the concept has peaked.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm not gonna see Flash in theaters because I don't want to give them any money for sticking with Miller.

So the clips and stills I've seen have been hilarious and make me glad I saved the money. Look them up. It all looks so bad. If it's intentional than it's a terrible choice and giving this guy Batman is a huge mistake.

Same,what a way to ruin keaton batman.

I’m just glad they didn’t touch my boy Val.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Tbh this seems like a film you pirate in 6 years when you remember it existing and you're like huh

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Flash was alright. The whole movie hinges on Ezra Miller being funny, and everyone having Michael Keaton nostalgia. The Barry loves his dead mommy stuff is well done, but it’s nothing we haven’t seen in the tv series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

But does this Barry require constant reminders that he just has to run faster like CW Barry?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

kiminewt posted:

The Illuminati scene definetly started pushing me over that edge, and rewatching No Way Home it felt a little pandering. Spider-Verse shows it can certainly be done well, but it's getting pretty overdone. Hopefully they tone that kind of thing down going forward (except for Loki where it actually works wekk) and then they can go big with it in Secret Wars and blow things up and go back to smaller scale things

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Open Marriage Night posted:

The whole movie hinges on Ezra Miller being funny, and everyone having Michael Keaton nostalgia.
This is where the movie lost me, honestly. It felt like they were trying so hard to make things funny and absolutely nothing landed (with the exception of Barry's depowered attempt to run in a circle with his goofy running style, but that's just because his run is so bad on its own). It was all dumb slapstick that felt completely out of place with the rest of the movie, or maybe it was just because Miller's portrayal of Barry is so bad. They play him as goofy and weird but it just comes off as Barry being a complete loser. And I know that's not new and some of it is deliberate but I don't know, it just doesn't work for me.

Overall it was fine, I just wanted to eat popcorn and watch a movie and the final third of the movie worked well enough because I like dumb fights but the "comedy" was just abysmal.

X-O posted:

But does this Barry require constant reminders that he just has to run faster like CW Barry?
I'm not joking: probably half of this movie is Barry telling other Barry "no, go SLOWER"

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My theory here is that Scientology correctly identified Ezra as a nutter with delusions of grandeur, and the org wants to lure them into joining Scientology.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

SlimGoodbody posted:

My theory here is that Scientology correctly identified Ezra as a nutter with delusions of grandeur, and the org wants to lure them into joining Scientology.

Oh that makes complete sense. They would target Ezra. They could also solve the Ezra problem by putting them wherever they’re keeping Shelly Muscavage.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It's funny to me that for the Flash movie, Battinson doesn't show up at all. Isn't that still considered an ongoing property that they're doing more with? Having him show up as the joke at the end instead of Clooney would have made more sense, in my opinion. Keep something that's actually still happening with DC in the minds of the audience that actually gives a poo poo about any of this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlimGoodbody posted:

100% yes.

Tom will offer Ezra something (maybe reclusive thief hacker) in the next M:I and invite them to the spacedome to hear about Xenmu

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jamesman posted:

It's funny to me that for the Flash movie, Battinson doesn't show up at all. Isn't that still considered an ongoing property that they're doing more with? Having him show up as the joke at the end instead of Clooney would have made more sense, in my opinion. Keep something that's actually still happening with DC in the minds of the audience that actually gives a poo poo about any of this.

Would've made more sense for The Flash but it would absolutely ruin Reeves' series.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

live with fruit posted:

Would've made more sense for The Flash but it would absolutely ruin Reeves' series.

Maybe they asked and he said "no"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Having said that, I'd love to see a meetup between Farrell, DeVito and a CGI monstrosity of Meredith.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

“What’s that? Work with George miller? Oh sure sign me-oh that miller….” *click

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“What’s that? Work with George miller? Oh sure sign me-oh that miller….” *click

Bring back Armie Hammer to be E. Miller's Batman.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They didn't even include Gustin or Shipp in the cameos which is really dumb.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Joe Fisto posted:

They could also solve the Ezra problem by putting them wherever they’re keeping Shelly Muscavage.

A watery grave?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Gamesmasterantony has so much to answer for.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Inkspot posted:

A watery grave?

“Allegedly”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jamesman posted:

I'm pretty sure they said at some point that The Batman is its own thing and not connected to the wider DCCU or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty sure they said at some point that The Batman is its own thing and not connected to the wider DCCU or whatever it's called.

Yeah but couldn't the same be said about everything that they did put in the movie? It's a multiverse film.