Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do they think that remote workers will become a subspecies of human that only mate with other remote workers or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I've been working remote for 11 years, where are my claws? I feel like I'm missing out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Isn't this the exact same thing that was being touted as "what office workers will look like in the future" before covid?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1669649093461786624

CEOs really, REALLY want to abuse workers face to face.

Our company sent out a survey asking about commutes, and one of the questions was how many days did you work from home in 2022. There was no option for zero, so I wrote it as a note explaining that even meetings on off days at our location aren't allowed to be conducted remotely in my dept.

My boss was not happy.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

Isn't this the exact same thing that was being touted as "what office workers will look like in the future" before covid?

Yep

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tenebrais posted:

It's what all my teachers told us we would look like in the future from playing too much Intendo

Giant clawlike thumbs from pressing controller buttons etc

e: also remember carpal tunnel syndrome, consuming 35 minutes per hour of news in 1988-92

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm pretty sure people use their time outside of working hours to do other physical actions with alternative ranges of motion! Like, 90%

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

Do they think that remote workers will become a subspecies of human that only mate with other remote workers or what

That's pretty much the plot of The Time Machine

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Data Graham posted:

It's what all my teachers told us we would look like in the future from playing too much Intendo

Giant clawlike thumbs from pressing controller buttons etc

e: also remember carpal tunnel syndrome, consuming 35 minutes per hour of news in 1988-92

Is carpal tunnel like, not a real problem? I remember my uncle was a coder in the early 00s and had to get surgery for carpal tunnel and couldn’t use his hands for like a month. Freaked me out.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Homo Cratchitis

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Carpal tunnel is definitely a thing. I spend at least two days a week assisting on carpal tunnel surgeries all day long

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Our company sent out a survey asking about commutes, and one of the questions was how many days did you work from home in 2022. There was no option for zero, so I wrote it as a note explaining that even meetings on off days at our location aren't allowed to be conducted remotely in my dept.

My boss was not happy.

There's an implication that you're making here but I'm not getting. What were they looking for to get mad at?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tesseraction posted:

Ah right so the guy in charge of the trucking company rather than the serfs he sends out to do deliveries?

Most likely no, that guys sitting back in a comfy chair probably at home. An owner operator is Joe Bob who owns a truck and usually takes freelance work for people like CH Robinson and Uber Freight.

Uber freight is absolute garbage and I hate working with them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

RareAcumen posted:

There's an implication that you're making here but I'm not getting. What were they looking for to get mad at?

You're not supposed to point out WFH isn't the reason for whatever bad metric is being used to justify the return to office policy.

Those 'state of the company' surveys are also usually the pet project of someone in upper management justifying their current vision. Maligners pointing out bad questions can show your department isn't really onboard and draws attention/more work for your boss.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tiggum posted:

So we agree then? OK.

No, you implied that in general making fun of white people was making fun of poor people.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
carpal tunnel is a legit real thing.

elevate those wrists especially professional computer touchers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Get a vertical mouse! They can even be used for gaming. Our wrists aren't meant to twimst that way.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

carpal tunnel is a legit real thing.

elevate those wrists especially professional computer touchers.

And don't forget those legs that tilt your keyboard are a learning tool for folks who can't touch type. They're actually bad for ergonomics, but every office I've been in I've seen some people with them and wrist rests that seem tailor positioned to ensure they type with their wrists at 90 degree angles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now that's what's got me confused. I had thought that the main reason why carpal tunnel syndrome was such a huge deal in the early days of the computer-ubiquity era was that people were elevating their wrists, because they were used to typewriters where that's how you were supposed to hold your hands, but on a flat computer keyboard it would put your hands in a more unnatural position, leading to carpal tunnel friction/injury and all those ergonomic keyboard designs. But gradually over time people became used to holding their wrists straight, which doesn't irritate the carpal tunnels as much?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
heres a good primer.

https://ergonomictrends.com/proper-ergonomic-typing-posture-at-computer/

also some people use cushioning incorrectly under the wrists rather than the heel of the palm which can exacerbate the issue

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1669649093461786624

CEOs really, REALLY want to abuse workers face to face.

At home, I have a relative pricey office chair with a dozen knobs and levers and an adjustable desk. At work, I have whatever chair was cheap enough to purchase by the hundreds and a non-adjustable cubicle desk. W4H has been a net benefit for my posture.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Data Graham posted:

Now that's what's got me confused. I had thought that the main reason why carpal tunnel syndrome was such a huge deal in the early days of the computer-ubiquity era was that people were elevating their wrists, because they were used to typewriters where that's how you were supposed to hold your hands, but on a flat computer keyboard it would put your hands in a more unnatural position, leading to carpal tunnel friction/injury and all those ergonomic keyboard designs. But gradually over time people became used to holding their wrists straight, which doesn't irritate the carpal tunnels as much?

'Hold your wrists straight' is probably a better phrasing, since they're saying 'elevate your wrists, so they're not arched upwards' but you could also have bad posture by arching down if you elevate them too far above the keyboard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

And don't forget those legs that tilt your keyboard are a learning tool for folks who can't touch type. They're actually bad for ergonomics, but every office I've been in I've seen some people with them and wrist rests that seem tailor positioned to ensure they type with their wrists at 90 degree angles.

I feel vindicated in being unable to use a keyboard with the feet on.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Sorry to go back to Re: "white" culture and bland tasteless food.

Tasteless food is not confined to pale skinned middle class Americans/Westerners.

You people should try eating Dhal. Bland, poo poo, mushy yet lumpy. When eaten by itself it tastes of nothing, and if you are mad enough to add it to a proper dish, then it actively detracts from the taste.

Lentils. gently caress em.

In it's sole defense though, Dhal is piss easy to make, and eaten with yoghurt and rice can be a cheap and filling substitute for eating actual food.
Lol, I don't think I've read anything so demonstrably incorrect in a long time.
I love dhal. There's all kinds of ways you can make it with piles of flavour, you lunatic.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

B33rChiller posted:

Lol, I don't think I've read anything so demonstrably incorrect in a long time.
I love dhal. There's all kinds of ways you can make it with piles of flavour, you lunatic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bottom Liner posted:

No, you implied that in general making fun of white people was making fun of poor people.
No I didn't. I said "often". Not "always" or even "most of the time". "Often". That means "frequently" or "in many instances". It does not imply a majority of cases or a general rule, just a noticeable pattern.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's not the best content, but it's better than this derail coming back:

And a very odd reply to the onion
(First screenshot for context)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

:catstare:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Pancho Jueves posted:

At home, I have a relative pricey office chair with a dozen knobs and levers and an adjustable desk.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Len posted:

Most likely no, that guys sitting back in a comfy chair probably at home. An owner operator is Joe Bob who owns a truck and usually takes freelance work for people like CH Robinson and Uber Freight.

Uber freight is absolute garbage and I hate working with them.

Ah, cheers for the explanation. I am exceptionally bad with wheeled objects so my knowledge of the trucker industry is entirely through osmosis.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rest in peace, legend

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tesseraction posted:

Ah, cheers for the explanation. I am exceptionally bad with wheeled objects so my knowledge of the trucker industry is entirely through osmosis.

Truckers can be a good source of idiots though whether they work for a business or are an owner operator.

I've heard more than one screed about COVID being caused by the not-illuminati. We even had a guy once call the cops on someone for the crime of being at work while black.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it's the same fella playing it but those machines are amazing. I think they might just give you that moustache when you learn how to play them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqyi8EPuXUQ

It's the opposite of IOSM but I feel like the thread has a general paucity of joy.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Jun 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Len posted:

Truckers can be a good source of idiots though whether they work for a business or are an owner operator.

I've heard more than one screed about COVID being caused by the not-illuminati. We even had a guy once call the cops on someone for the crime of being at work while black.

:wtc:

did he literally say a black person shouldn't be here or what

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

As a Floridian, I'd prefer if they didn't but would understand if they did.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at seasonal "why cant we nuke hurricanes"

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think it's the same fella playing it but those machines are amazing. I think they might just give you that moustache when you learn how to play them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqyi8EPuXUQ

It's the opposite of IOSM but I feel like the thread has a general paucity of joy.

The other guy is Fred Willard in I Think You Should Leave

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Zero_Grade posted:

As a Floridian, I'd prefer if they didn't but would understand if they did.

I've read that comic:

Two simultaneous small nuclear bombs to stop a tornado. And what is a hurricane if not a large tornado. Easy.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

It's not the best content, but it's better than this derail coming back:

Am I missing something? It just looks like an ad for Blue Bunny...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arivia posted:

:wtc:

did he literally say a black person shouldn't be here or what

My warehouse ships chemicals and that particular order required the drivers license to be checked for some reason. I don't remember if it was because we needed to see if he was hazmat and/or tanker endorsed.

So Quinn asked him if he could see his ID and the guy flipped his poo poo. He called the cops about how this guy was threatening his family and going to go to his house and get violent and/or steal things.

The cops showed up and just kind of stood around awkwardly because none of that happened and the guy was just unhinged. He came back a few weeks later and did the same thing again. He ended up blacklisted by that freight broker after the second time. They were willing to try again after the first time