Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Imagine watching a movie with someone who would literally pause the movie every time a line of dialog referenced an earlier line of dialog, to excitedly point out how amazing it is that the screenwriters remembered their own line of dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My wife tried to leave me but i kept interrupting her, to explain to her how everything she was complaining about was brilliantly foreshadowed by previous events in our relationship, what an amazingly put together content, maybe others could chime in with other ways my pending divorce is so well realized

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?

Double A posted:

And what's the end state here? Everything is poo poo and parcelled out, or everything is poo poo and on fire?

Late Stage Capitalism.

Supposedly Reddit are undeleting comments / posts that have been removed as part of the protest: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=36354850

Kennedy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 16, 2023

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Things I genuinely like about rr oh God I can't even type it's name.

There was this incredible series of wild posts of ten thousand words in /truedetective that I loved. And then there is the dumb obscure subculture/niche interest memez of v. small subreddits.

Uh, the giant proiferation of /ask_relationship as content feed for podcasts, youtube videos etc is an interesting thing but I'm not sure it's good.

There are probably many people whose lives have been made better by escaping abusive situations after learning things on particular subreddits.

Biggest artbell community on the net lol

That's kind of it. It's a dumb website overall. Digg was better : p

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Imagine watching a movie with someone who would literally pause the movie every time a line of dialog referenced an earlier line of dialog, to excitedly point out how amazing it is that the screenwriters remembered their own line of dialog.

There's literally a podcast out there where it's like 6 or 7 uber chuds who just sit around and watch other people's videos and pause it like every three seconds to go on 10 minute rants about poo poo so it takes them 4 hours to watch a 2 minute video. It's beyond insufferable and they have like a million viewers somehow.

They're very popular on Reddit, why do you ask?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

There was this incredible series of wild posts of ten thousand words in /truedetective that I loved. And then there is the dumb obscure subculture/niche interest memez of v. small subreddits.

Uh, the giant proiferation of /ask_relationship as content feed for podcasts, youtube videos etc is an interesting thing but I'm not sure it's good.

There are probably many people whose lives have been made better by escaping abusive situations after learning things on particular subreddits.

Digg sucked rear end

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

greatBigJerk posted:

What did happen to GBS? I do vaguely remember it changing all of a sudden.

The biggest change between now and GBS in the late aughts was back then, the forum was a lot of news aggregation and huge megathreads and people serious posting, exclusively. Most of that has moved to D&D now and GBS is far more chill about people goofing off.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

nine-gear crow posted:

There's literally a podcast out there where it's like 6 or 7 uber chuds who just sit around and watch other people's videos and pause it like every three seconds to go on 10 minute rants about poo poo so it takes them 4 hours to watch a 2 minute video. It's beyond insufferable and they have like a million viewers somehow.

They're very popular on Reddit, why do you ask?

mst3k?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Awkward Davies posted:

Digg sucked rear end

The reveal that Digg's algorithm was literally a man behind the curtain is one of the most insane things I've learned out of this Reddit fiasco

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No, those guys are actually funny from time to time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Tiny Timbs posted:

The reveal that Digg's algorithm was literally a man behind the curtain is one of the most insane things I've learned out of this Reddit fiasco

lmao it's so awesome

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Tiny Timbs posted:

Wait what lol? It was just some guy freestyling it and thinking “this should be at the top today”??

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Double A posted:

And what's the end state here? Everything is poo poo and parcelled out, or everything is poo poo and on fire?

yes

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MrQwerty posted:

lmao it's so awesome

Wait, that I didn’t know. What was the deal?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Wtf really

Somebody hire this man

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

Do you have a link to those /truedetective posts by any chance?

Charenton_
Sep 19, 2001
This is the part where I know spez and the rest of the top execs are terrified.

In interviews, spez has been vehemently repeating that third-party apps are only used by a fraction of the userbase (anywhere from two to five percent). If it's really such a neglible part of the userbase, why does it matter at all?

Even when reddit's huffing and puffing about losing potential ad revenue because folks are on third-party apps, according to spez, Reddit is keeping 95 to 98 percent of its userbase using its website or official app. He's also said the number of mods who use third-party apps to moderate is very low. So what's the big deal then?

Either these apps are a mere nuisance or they are killing reddit's ability to profit. The way reddit management has framed it, it cannot be both.

Basically, this protest is working and I would love reddit mods to continue this collective action. Reddit cannot survive without this unpaid labour, which is a wild concept for a for-profit company. I can't think of another for-profit company that relies on volunteers to keep its business afloat.

Expect some weak PR statement to come out from the company by end of day about how they are "so disappointed" in mods and "have tried hard to come to a mutual understanding but couldn't" and then a total crackdown on the mods of the biggest subreddits over the weekend while the media isn't paying as much attention.

Also, not that any Reddit employees will ever see this but if they do—remember that your employer cannot force you to work overtime nor for free. Paid employees cannot legally volunteer their time for their employers. If you are an employee of Reddit, you legally have to be paid for all your time working. Don't let the brass strong-arm you into thinking otherwise.

Also, under U.S. law, all employees have a right to strike, even private-sector non-unionized employees.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Double A posted:

Everything is poo poo, parceled out, AND on fire.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Charenton_ posted:

In interviews, spez has been vehemently repeating that third-party apps are only used by a fraction of the userbase (anywhere from two to five percent). If it's really such a neglible part of the userbase, why does it matter at all?

Even when reddit's huffing and puffing about losing potential ad revenue because folks are on third-party apps, according to spez, Reddit is keeping 95 to 98 percent of its userbase using its website or official app. He's also said the number of mods who use third-party apps to moderate is very low. So what's the big deal then?

Either these apps are a mere nuisance or they are killing reddit's ability to profit. The way reddit management has framed it, it cannot be both.

Basically, this protest is working and I would love reddit mods to continue this collective action. Reddit cannot survive without this unpaid labour, which is a wild concept for a for-profit company. I can't think of another for-profit company that relies on volunteers to keep its business afloat.

Expect some weak PR statement to come out from the company by end of day about how they are "so disappointed" in mods and "have tried hard to come to a mutual understanding but couldn't" and then a total crackdown on the mods of the biggest subreddits over the weekend while the media isn't paying as much attention.

Also, not that any Reddit employees will ever see this but if they do—remember that your employer cannot force you to work overtime nor for free. Paid employees cannot legally volunteer their time for their employers. If you are an employee of Reddit, you legally have to be paid for all your time working. Don't let the brass strong-arm you into thinking otherwise.

Also, under U.S. law, all employees have a right to strike, even private-sector non-unionized employees.

lol reddit mods are losers, dude

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Charenton_ posted:

Isn’t the old social media rule that only 10% of your user base will actively contribute? While it may be true that the vast majority of the user base doesn’t use 3rd party apps, I wonder whether the engagement levels of 3rd party users were higher. Who is creating all of this content, and how are they doing it?

Side note: how is this counted? I used both Apollo and desktop. Which side are they lumping me with?

Charenton_
Sep 19, 2001

henkman posted:

Thanks, I'll add your statement to the agenda of our next meeting.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

henkman posted:

Sure but tech ceos are worse

Jim Cramer
Sep 18, 2009

henkman posted:

all of the following are true:
i'm a loser
reddit mods are losers
reddit admins are losers
reddit sucks
adding site:reddit.com to any google search makes it 100x better
clicking a reddit link on google is horrendous on mobile without 3rd party apps

For these reasons my loser self hopes the loser reddit mods succeed in their loser reddit protest

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What a lot of redditors are missing is that most of these big content creators were literally people whose livelihood is to create content and share it with other people - either they're youtubers/streamers/whatever or they work for a marketing agency and manipulate mod tools to promote their clients or whatever. The actual content creators are actively harmed by the protests. The people protesting are the consumers, not the creators, and they're just concern trolling about the content creators out of ignorance.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

smoobles posted:

here's the top post in /r/movies today if you're curious what kind of person uses reddit

definitely the kind of discourse we could use more of

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Idiootti posted:

Do you have a link to those /truedetective posts by any chance?
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/rthssr/3_parts_the_story_of_the_carcosa_cult_and_the/

It says 3 parts but it goes on for like 10 lol.
e: an overview/index https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/v7ndzg/10_parters_complete_guide_to_carcosa_secrets_the/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NoiseAnnoys posted:

definitely the kind of discourse we could use more of

On the other hand, you WOULD get to witness the spectacle of these innocent, spotless-brained rubes blundering into CineD and getting devoured whole by the deranged rabid voles that infest that cursed place. So that would be neat to watch.

Charenton_
Sep 19, 2001

Awkward Davies posted:

Isn’t the old social media rule that only 10% of your user base will actively contribute? While it may be true that the vast majority of the user base doesn’t use 3rd party apps, I wonder whether the engagement levels of 3rd party users were higher. Who is creating all of this content, and how are they doing it?

Side note: how is this counted? I used both Apollo and desktop. Which side are they lumping me with?
See, you get it.

The key word missing from all of spez's handwringing is the word "active". How many active mods use these apps? I have seen estimates floating around closer to 30 percent of all active mods use third-party apps because the tools reddit provides simply aren't enough. How many active—and quality—content creators are using third-party apps? I imagine it's a much higher percentage of active users as well. It's not like reddit would expose specifics, though. Then they can't fiddle with the narrative as it suits them.

Looking forward, how many active users are so fed up they are now leaving the site? How many active mods are saying "we're mad as hell and we aren't gonna take it anymore"? There is a big chance the majority of the quality content creators are going to move on to better things, leaving a wake of spam, AI, and even lower quality memes in its place.

Spez is downplaying the impact of all this protesting to the media but he doth protest too hard, methinks. This is why I am sure this has been a massive hit and the entire company is running scared.

As far as calculating whether you're an Apollo or desktop user, you're both. Or neither. Depends on what number is most important to the advertisers on any given day.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

SMG vs. redditir

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Charenton_ posted:

Well, no my employer can’t force me but they can fire me for any non-protected reason including not working whatever hours they choose. Such is the life of an exempt employee…

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah US based union rep here… that’s a simplistic take on employment law to the point where it’s harmful

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Charenton_ posted:

How about they're a mere nuisance but an IPO is coming up and spez wants to show investors the platform can be minmaxed at will and the users will fall in line like good little piggies

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Yeah US based union rep here… that’s a simplistic take on employment law to the point where it’s harmful

I'm pretty sure it's a copy/paste from a Reddit post, that is the entire site's understanding of employment law and how real-life employment works. See also how often they tell minimum wage workers with no options that they need to quit their jobs and sue their employers over every little thing, as if minimum wage workers who are struggling can afford to do either of those things.

Charenton_
Sep 19, 2001

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. Seems to me, there is a good case to be made that an unfair labour practices strike would be totally reasonable. This for-profit company is using unpaid, untrained, unsupervised labour to create profit when those could easily be paid jobs. One could argue reddit is taking away paid employment from tens of thousands of workers.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
lmao

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Charenton_ posted:

If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. Seems to me, there is a good case to be made that an unfair labour practices strike would be totally reasonable. This for-profit company is using unpaid, untrained, unsupervised labour to create profit when those could easily be paid jobs. One could argue reddit is taking away paid employment from tens of thousands of workers.

"voluntarily sharing your thoughts and drawings on a public forum for free without being asked to" does not make you an employee of a place is the first and most obvious thing that stands out about why this reasoning doesn't work.

Charenton_
Sep 19, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

"voluntarily sharing your thoughts and drawings on a public forum for free without being asked to" does not make you an employee of a place is the first and most obvious thing that stands out about why this reasoning doesn't work.
I'm talking about moderators. Moderation is a skill that should require training. Reddit would collapse overnight without unpaid moderators.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My extremely basic understanding of employment law (from my days of working corporate at a rideshare place) is that making the legal case that you are an actual employee requires the "employer" treating you like an employee without giving you all of the benefits of being an employee. The biggest example of treating you like an employee being paying you and making that payment contingent on other factors like specific hours worked.

As far as my basic-rear end understanding goes, if there was no promise of payment in the first place, there is no case to be made that you felt like an employee. Moderators are volunteers, which by definition cannot be employees. Otherwise you could go clean up the parking lot at Walmart and then file unpaid wages claims.

e: I looked it up and I am pretty much right but federally it's not "promise of payment", it's contract of hire. No contract of hire (either making you an employee or a 1040 contractor etc.) means you cannot be an employee (source: report by the BLS)

quote:

Black’s Law Dictionary defines “employee” as “a person in the service of another under any contract of hire, express or implied, oral or written, where the employer has the power or right to control and direct the employee in the material details of how the work is to be performed.”

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 16, 2023

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Blow posted:

Lowtax...

Hmmm. I met him irl in :australia: in 2004.

I turned up to the Goonmeet at The Coogee Bay Hotel and it was full of goons that had been playing DDR in the city prior.

Weird looking fuckers.

Lowtax seemed to gravitate to me as I was probably the only cool person there.

I was bombed on Valium and Weed and Beer.

Yeah. Lowtax was a dick irl come to think of it.

I’m just kidding I never touched SA when it was popular because I was busy and it was obvious lowtax banned people whenever he wanted money. I signed up as soon as I heard the good news.

Charenton_ posted:

I can tell they’re scared because they’re wasting time telling everyone poo poo’s fine and they’re even bothering to back it up with figures that they bothered to prepare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Charenton_ posted:

One could argue a lot. In practice, almost certainly all Reddit employees are salary overtime exempt employees and absent a contract that lays out when they can and can’t work overtime, they can be required to work unlimited overtime unless there is a law specifying limits. In Reddit’s case, they’re based in San Francisco, which to my knowledge does not have a city law covering this like Los Angeles does. There is no restriction on overtime in California statewide.

They will be protected if they’re engaging in a protected strike, but in this case unfair labor practices would be as they relate to employees, not what paid employees think of what the unpaid volunteers are doing. That would almost certainly be an unprotected strike in the US, but either way it would be litigated AFTER Reddit fires everyone.

There’s also tons of different groups that aren’t permitted by law to strike. I am an airline union rep, for example, and we can’t strike without presidential approval. There’s 50 different states in the US all with different employment laws, then there’s federal law. There’s just no one size fits all statement about whether or not someone can work OT or if they can strike.

Edit: while I was typing this, you said something about moderators being employees? They are not.