Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

hold on while I type up my 30 page treatise on internet nerds versus venture capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's a case to be made that Reddit takes a hands-off approach with moderation specifically to prevent the possibility of Moderators being able to claim Employee status. At the end of the day regardless of what implied or explicit contracts were made when they became moderators, they cannot be employees under California labor law unless Reddit tells them when and how to moderate.

I've worked for a handful of big SV companies and that's the way they operate on every side: minimize the chance of legal ramifications, no matter what that means. The ones that don't do this (like Uber) get slammed with nonstop lawsuits.

e: vv fwiw I agree, I am saying that they are absolutely not employees, and also that that's probably (part of) why Reddit doesn't care about how poorly the site is moderated. If they cared, it would be a chip in their currently-impervious legal defense against moderator employee status. That (combined with explicitly being contractors in the first place) is how some Uber Black drivers got employee status in California back in 2015ish :unsmith:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 16, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah I am not at all going to get into whether or not they should be considered employees. They aren’t currently.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
At least SA mods get free av changes, what's in it for reddit mods?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Mega64 posted:

At least SA mods get free av changes, what's in it for reddit mods?

There’s a lot more children on Reddit

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

:drat:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

:golfclap:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Stop for a moment and consider the implication of r/teenagers having the same mods for years.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Stop for a moment and consider the implication of r/teenagers having the same mods for years.

obviously they are onboarded the day they reach 13 and serve a 7 year term

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club
So is Reddit still protesting or? It looks like everything is back to normal over there.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i post here pretty often, by the way, and consider myself an employee of this website

and yes, uncle sam knows all about it already

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Gorgeous Zan posted:

So is Reddit still protesting or? It looks like everything is back to normal over there.

I think it's like 50% or so of subs that originally went private have either stayed private or have gone restricted.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

greatBigJerk posted:

I think it's like 50% or so of subs that originally went private have either stayed private or have gone restricted.

The telling stat would be the subscriber count of the subs still private. If a ton of very small subs stay private it won’t matter nearly as much as a few large ones.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Read the verge interview/lame Pr piece, and it’s always funny to see PR Director/Comms director show up for one line in those kind of things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gorgeous Zan posted:

https://reddark.nextflow.cloud/

There's a site here that tracks which subs are private/restricted. Looks like about half of them stayed restricted, while I saw about ~75% sticking to it on the day of.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally the 2 day window felt like the death knell of the protest. Indefinite until change, or it won't work. That's what striking is.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

also striking is like, refusing to work. not refusing to be a product for a few days. that’s just called “living your best life”

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
redditurd

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Dick Fontaine posted:

also striking is like, refusing to work. not refusing to be a product for a few days. that’s just called “living your best life”

It's losers who are realizing that the little power they enjoy wielding in their pocket of the internet doesn't actually belong to them and it never did

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

henkman posted:

It's losers who are realizing that the little power they enjoy wielding in their pocket of the internet doesn't actually belong to them and it never did

hopefully they learn something from the experience

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This is a really interesting situation because it's showing me that it is possible to not have sympathy for anyone involved.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dick Fontaine posted:

I mean, strike, boycott, whatever. The core is to withhold something of value. The subreddits are clearly something of value and the moderators clearly have power, as shown by reddit's response to this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

https://reddark.nextflow.cloud/

There's a site here that tracks which subs are private/restricted. Looks like about half of them stayed restricted, while I saw about ~75% sticking to it on the day of.

And that number's dropping fast. Saw like 20 subs go back to public in the time I was browsing that page, which wasn't all that long.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
The famous case law on unpaid moderation is AOL but while DOL had investigated and found that the moderators were employees a few notable things:

-The parties settled so no precedent was established in the courts or by department of labor
-AOL mods had scheduled shifts, training, and had to file shift reports after each shift
-They were compensated with hundreds of dollars in free AOL access time, making their employee claim very strong.

Reddit mods aren't any of the above, but they are walking a tightrope if they start replacing them & enforcing any sort of expectations or required availability.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Inept posted:

hold on while I type up my 30 page treatise on internet nerds versus venture capital

Ok, I'll wait.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Lampsacus posted:

Digg was better : p

Awkward Davies posted:

Digg sucked rear end

both are true

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

bus hustler posted:

-They were compensated with hundreds of dollars in free AOL access time, making their employee claim very strong.

drat, and you know AOL was always stingy with the hundreds of hours of free access :p

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inept posted:

My favorite type of Reddit post is the 50,000 word rant on why my political opinions are valid and should be listened to prefaced by "Well I didn't vote, but..."

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin
The mods need those third party apps and such to do their job of tamping down on bigotry and hate speech on a wide scale, especially when reddits own tools are too cumbersome.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/13/23759761/reddit-disability-accessibility-blackout-api-blind

And the entire blind/vision-imparied community was completely left out of any of this stuff and only got verbal promises to do better from reddit. Only 2 accessibility apps were left out of the api pricing after the uproar, but thats barely anything.

The official reddit app for iOS is apparently unusable by screen readers, and has been chronically underdeveloped as an app. Apparently its known for how bad it is.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Power move would be to launch a clone and just point every third party app at the new site. Start their own place with blackjack and hookers and heavy modding against chuds with an existing array of polished and already installed apps

Mega64
May 23, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

My favorite type of Reddit post is the 50,000 word rant on why my political opinions are valid and should be listened to prefaced by "Well I'm not racist, but..."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also a Reddit Classic

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

nine-gear crow posted:

Also a Reddit Classic

This meme macro (unpopular opinion puffin) was used for racist ends so often on meme subreddits that it became known as 'White man's bird-en'

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
reddit mods are mods of individual sub reddits. they don't work for reddit. they don't answer to reddit. they simply use a service provided by reddit. do you actually read reddit? its like saying discord mods work for discord or the person with the remote works for netflix.

Lick Joe
Sep 30, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sentient Data posted:

Power move would be to launch a clone and just point every third party app at the new site. Start their own place with blackjack and hookers and heavy modding against chuds with an existing array of polished and already installed apps

You just described Lemmy and it's a bit of a shitshow right now. They just picked up 100k new users over the last week which is peanuts to Reddit but basically tripled their size overnight.

The shitshow element is because it's federated, which basically means that there are like 100 different mini-reddits that all share posts with each other. They each have their own rules for signing up (some are open, some are not), behavior, and their own often identical set of core communities like movies, music, etc.

So let's say the new Powerwolf album comes out, and everyone in the Lemmy fediverse is excited about it. You're going to get one thread for it from each instance, instead of a single point of discussion. Whoops we found another box of top secret documents in Trump's bidet. Every politics community is going to have a separate thread for it. Do you want to talk about it in the beehaw thread? Or the lemmy.world thread? If you're a true believer you're supposed to just accept that this is a feature and not a bug and part of the magic of the fediverse because goddamn you cannot shut up about Powerwolf for ten seconds.

The other issue is that the communities with open signups and lax moderation policies are shockingly attracting a bunch of assholes. So they're popping up in threads based from other instances and ruining everyone's good time to the point where several Lemmy servers have already started de-federating from each other.

There's also Tildes.net which seems promising since it's invite only and modded a bit more closely, but also the userbase seems pretty small at the moment. I've got a couple invites if anyone wants to check it out though.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Awkward Davies posted:

I mean, strike, boycott, whatever. The core is to withhold something of value. The subreddits are clearly something of value and the moderators clearly have power, as shown by reddit's response to this.

Just do a procott like they did with the Oakland A’s. See you give a rich person extra money for one day and they’re supposed to learn the error of their ways and then take your demands super seriously.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

is fark still running?

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin
So Elon Musk directly inspired all this.
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1669800835843235845

quote:

Musk shocked Silicon Valley peers with his deep cost cutting at Twitter and began his ownership of the company last fall by axing most of the company’s employees in a chaotic series of decisions that left some people doubting whether Twitter would be able to stay online.

Huffman is trying to turn Reddit profitable after decades as a money-losing website punching above its weight in internet culture.

This week, influential volunteer moderators who manage the communities that make up the site walled off large parts of Reddit, making them inaccessible to most users as part of their demonstration. The protest is a response to part of Huffman’s business plan, which includes potentially charging other tech companies large fees for access to Reddit data.

Huffman said there’s one concrete area where Musk’s example has been clear: job cuts. He said he had often wondered why Twitter under its previous management had struggled to be profitable on a consistent basis despite revenue in 2021 of $5.1 billion.

“As a company smaller than theirs, sub-$1 billion in revenue, I used to look at Twitter and say, ‘Well, why can’t they break even at 4 or 5 billion in revenue? What about their business do we not understand?’ Because I think we should be able to do that quite handsomely,” he said.

“And then I think one of the non-obvious things that Elon showed is what I was hoping would be true, which is: You can run a company with that many users in the ads business and break even with a lot fewer people,” Huffman said.

Musk ended up hiring some employees back, but corporate headcount has remained well below where it was before the acquisition. Musk has also imposed other severe cost-cutting measures, such as not paying some of Twitter’s bills including rent, leading to an eviction order in Colorado.

“They had to do some pretty violent changes and violent surgery to get there,” Huffman said.

It is not clear if Twitter is profitable because some advertisers have left, cutting into revenue, but Huffman said the lesson was on the other side of the ledger.

“People are talking about a lot of things on Twitter, but I think that’s the part that’s the most interesting from my point of view as a business person, is that there actually are good businesses at this scale,” he said.

Open rebellion by moderators before more is done to the sites infrastructure is looking like a better and better decision already. Look at the hive of TERFs and nazis twitter has become with so little moderation.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

is fark still running?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You better go catch it!!