Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Khets' not doing so hot this time around!

Look at them, look at them and laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah Nirat got bigger on recent patches, no?

Chronometry
Jul 19, 2022
It helps that in 1.35, Kheterata now uses the EoC Mandate mechanic (localised in Anbennar as Chosen of the Khet), without having the benefit of being Ming-huge in 1444.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009

Chronometry posted:

It helps that in 1.35, Kheterata now uses the EoC Mandate mechanic (localised in Anbennar as Chosen of the Khet), without having the benefit of being Ming-huge in 1444.

That would certainly explain it, I wasn't aware of this change. Elizna is invading with a 'War over Kheteratan Hegemony' CB so I guess they are going for the Mandate. That'll be useful if we need to fight them, considering that devastation (caused by, say, coastal raiding) tanks the Mandate.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Chronometry posted:

This also means that if a Gnollish state seizes the Mandate they skip straight from Tribal to Monarchy, which can be quite the power boost (due to Estates) if they can keep Mandate up.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Chapter Two: Golden Citadel
1450-1468

Toref Citadel, lower dockyard, 1461

A rumble echoed through the cavern, sending a shiver through the guards keeping watch over the docks. Carved into the sea-facing cavern by Dwarven engineers, the lower dockyard ought to be one of the safest places in the citadel. An enemy would have to fight through the entire citadel first, or force the great sea gates covering the cavern entrance, which had been closed at the start of the siege.

The defenders, a mix of Humans, Half-Elves and Dwarves, had considered this an easy and safe posting. Now though, their dread was rising. Another crash echoed through the dockyard and everyone's eyes turned to the gate, which was shaking and splintering.

"Form up! Ready weapons!" the sergeant yelled. Soldiers scrambled, grabbing swords, spears, crossbows and arquebuses.

Minutes passed, a gathering of dozens waiting at the entrance to the docks. The air was heavy, as though a haze of blood had already descended upon them. At least one of the defenders fainted and had to be slapped back awake by the sergeant.

The gates burst open without warning, almost blasting off their hinges in a roar of wood and metal. A shattered wooden hull swept into the cavern, a galley that was on the verge of shaking apart with every oar stroke. A dozen cannons had been mounted on the bow, and had blown themselves apart and nearly destroyed the vessel along with them. Standing atop the wreckage of wood was a towering Gnoll, eyes like the pits of the Infernal Court and a gleaming white blade in her hand.

Her oarsmen did not halt, and the galley barrelled straight into the docks, sending clouds of debris into the air.

"Forward! Drive them into the water!" the sergeant yelled. Gnolls hated water. It was known. Knocking them in would leave them scrambling and easy prey for a crossbow. This was their only chance.

The defenders rushed down to the docks where the galley had now enmeshed itself, but were met by hooting shouts and chattering laughter. A pack of Gnolls, with the white-blade at its head, leapt from the galley and bounded across the ruined docks to meet the defenders. Spears lowered, crossbows and guns fired, and blood spilt into the water.

Yet, they kept coming. Infused with infernal power, only a couple of the attackers buckled and slipped into the water. The rest were only emboldened by their wounds, diving into the defenders and engaging in a furious and bloody melee. Behind them, more galleys filled with eager Gnoll warriors entered the cavern and prepared to make a slightly more orderly landing.

Later, Mrynzu stood at the top of the cavern, waiting for her troops to finish eating so they could progress deeper into the fortress. Gnawing on a chunky Dwarven leg-bone, she could feel the bloodlust still pumping in her veins and the urge to charge straight inside, but one insane plan was enough for day. She gave thanks to Xhazob for granting the power of his host, and looked down at the ruins of the Fleshcarver. It would make a good pyre for the sacrifices they retrieved from this place.

There was movement at the entrance, and she drew her blade, leg still dangling from her snout.

A Gnoll entered, as coated in blood as she was and loaded with captured jewellery. Kricoun, the commander of the landside invasion, gave her a look.

"Looks like somebody had fun," he said.

Mrynzu dropped the bone from her jaws to say, "Same to you. The rest of the fort is taken?"

"Not yet, many holdouts remain," he replied, snarling, "I need more warriors."

"For an equal portion of the treasure for me and my crew," Mrynzu said, eyeing the gold Kricoun wore, "and perhaps another prize."

Kricoun let out a cackling laugh, and accepted her offer. She tossed him the bone to keep him occupied and went to rally her troops. Further blood and glory awaited them.

Excerpts taken from the journal of Captain Mrynzu the Salt-Blade

On my orders, several cargo ships were outfitted with captured cannons and sent out to pursue traders in the Divenhal. The Fleshcarver may be fast in short bursts, but the slaves do not have the endurance to chase down a ship fleeing with the wind. The greatest cities of Cannor lie just outside of our reach, but we can take their wealth before it even sees their shores.

No matter what reforms Viakkoc makes, we are a people who take. Why call yourself a Corsair King at all if you would rely on the produce of the land? I have called for an expansion of the piratical fleet to devour the wealth of the Dameshead, but Rrikk, still somehow in the favour of the king, has shut that down in favour of more galleys.

I should have covered this last update, so here they are now. Gnolls have a more warlike and less diplomatic disposition, with economic and social stats based on having a repressive slave economy.

Not that I am complaining about the number of galleys within the fleet. There is nothing more satisfying that seeing a ram smash into the side of a ship too fat with treasure to escape and the shocked and panicking crew overrun by eager and hungry Gnolls. However, after our last performance it leaves me concerned that the Humans will build larger and stronger carracks until they reach the point that even a squadron of galleys, flimsy and vulnerable to cannon fire, could not match one.

Militarily, they are reliant on Shock and Morale damage, and are actually pretty bad at naval combat.

Viakkoc called his lords and ladies (ugh) back to Kokerrat to make a great announcement. When we arrived, we found his son, the younger Viakkoc, stood beside the chief shaman of the Kult in a large tent. The boy had brought with him a Human of the same age, and once the crowd was arrayed, he plunged a knife into the Human's heart and let out a primal scream. Sickly yellow-green fire erupted from his hands, incinerating the canvas around us and sending many of the cowardly land-dwelling Gnolls cowering, but I stood firm and in awe. The shaman explained that the boy had shown a deep connection with the Pits of Grilax and could call upon the demonic power of our true masters with ease.

As burning canvas settled around me, illuminating the entire assembled leadership in the colours of hell, I began to wonder just what I could do if I and my line had access to such power.

At the same summit, Viakkoc the elder also announced an official policy of expanding slavery to all non-Gnolls and in particular to roles that had mostly escaped it due to not being manual labour. Artisans, merchants, and bureaucrats would now serve the state and the Kult or else be chosen for sacrifice. A terrible idea. Why not let them live in peace for a while, then come and take whatever they had built, like a proper Gnoll.

Upon returning to port, I found that you, my scribe slave, had managed to comprehend some the books that I had retrieved. Among them were instructions on how to build a carrack, though clearly designed for Humans and non-slave labour. Fascinating, but most of the facilities to build such a vessel had been razed. If I could gain control of the fleet though, I would be interested in having a flagship built.

I really want to build a Galley flagship but for some reason the option is greyed out and there's no tooltip appearing or hint on the wiki. Does anyone know why? I can still build a Heavy/Light flagship.

The inhabitants of Deshak were resistant and restive as we swept through to collect more sacrifices for the next great pyre. They ought to be better prepared, and have their offerings ready for us so that we don't have to burn them out just to get what we are owed.

An example of what can happen while gathering sacrifices. One sacrifice is worth one percent demonic power, so I don't know if it is a particularly good trade.

There has been a suggestion among the captains that we offer our oar slaves the ability to buy their own freedom as additional motivation. I am…not entirely unopposed to the idea. As pitifully weak as Humans are, if they can demonstrate true strength in battle, they can earn appropriate rewards. It's not like they would have much choice but to stay with the fleet, considering the tribes would likely re-enslave them the moment they set foot on land.

The fool Rrikk is dead, and not by my hand as much as I would like that to be the case. During the great pyre in Deshak someone he ate must have disagreed with him, or he could have simply too weak to accept a demonic gift. I have heard of diseases being granted to transform the body and spread plague to the foes of Xhazob. Either way, there is now a power vacuum in the fleet, and no obvious replacement with Viakkoc's favour.

Our glorious king is far too busy dealing with a rebellion on the land to care much about us at sea. A member of the Khasani royal family returned with an army of mercenaries from Cannor and a hastily-raised army of locals who were, for some reason, upset with our rule. Khasa was taken, but they would soon have twice their number in Gnolls descending upon them.

Rather than face us in battle, the prince fled into the Deshaki mountains. Ironic, that he was willing to fight against his fellow Humans. What a coward. Still, Viakkoc cannot rest until the craven prince is put down once and for all. That will give me time to consolidate my position among the captains. We will hold a moot in Deshak to decide, in our own way, who is the right one to lead. A little bloodshed and demonstration of dominance will work more quickly than months of politicking and backstabbing.

There were further issues with his economic reforms, this time from the Gnollish side. We do not care for menial labour, that is work for the slaves. There are simply not enough slaves to go around and fill all the new jobs he is attempting to set up, and no Gnoll wishes to take such tasks themselves. This is especially the case among the areas where the Kult is strongest, which have seen an almost complete purge of local slaves in the name of securing sacrifices.

It is done. The fleet has submitted to me as their admiral, and Viakkoc has no real option but to let it happen or risk losing the real source of income for his kingdom. Even more galleys have been added to our number, and we stand ready to strike at the Isles of Tef. The tribes can have their fun overrunning Deshak once again, but these islands are the real prize. With this we can take our first steps into Cannor and the wealth of the heart of the Human and Elven nations.

Unlike the previous fool, I do not wait for the enemy to gather their fleet and assemble it around their powerful heavy warships. I struck out and hit the fleets of Deshak, Eborthíl and their allies one at a time. Our galleys, with oarsmen working hard for a taste of freedom and treasure, chased down theirs and my crew easily sank their pitiful squadrons. The numbers quickly turned to our favour, and in a reversal of the previous war the seas were ours.

Viakkoc was apparently still uninterested in taking to the water, as he assigned the invasion of the Isles of Tef to a Gnoll named Kricoun. A fierce warrior by all accounts, but I was not about to wait at sea for him to batter down the walls of the great dwarven-built fortress of Toref Citadel. I had my own plans.

It was an incredible plan. Gather all the cannons that we had captured over the course of the war so far, and use them as a battering ram to get into the sealed cave harbour of the citadel. They would not expect an attack from the sea. It was a success, devastatingly so, but it cost me the Fleshcarver in the process. No matter, as I was not so attached that I couldn't re-desecrate another galley and replace it. The bigger pain was that Kricoun had already found another way to breach the citadel, so I had to rally the crews to link up with him and join in before all the glory and spoils were taken.

Naval barrage, a very nice ability to have when you can't build any cannons of your own.

Having acquitted myself greatly throughout the course of the war, and returned countless treasures heavy enough to sink a galley, I had effectively gained massive influence within the court of the Corsair King. With my words in his ear, the days of incompetence and failure should be over, and a future full of riches awaited the kingdom.

The war ended with most of the Isles of Tef coming under our domination, along with the remainder of the Deshaki coast. Our raiders ran rampant through the cities of Eborthíl and Port Jurith, burning as they went and clapping chains around anyone who tried to flee the flames. Thousands attempted a crossing to the mainland, but my fleet held the waters and sent so many to their watery graves with but a nudge of a galley ram or smack of an oar. The sight was almost like an inverse pyre. I wonder if there is a demon named for the ocean, who would accept such sacrifices.

A greater prize was a carrack that we were able to seize from the shipyards. The cowards had fled without scuttling it, and so it fell into my hands to serve as my flagship. Named as the Salt-Tower, it shall be the indestructible centrepiece of my battleline, and the force that will shatter any defences that lay before it.

But the greatest prize of all was the citadel itself. A safe harbour for my fleet, a perfect place to conduct raids from and a good home to raise a litter as well. I was named Countess of Toref, and honestly, I am starting to see the appeal of such titles. A proportion of the gold produced by the mines underneath the citadel is mine to do with as I wish, while the remainder goes to the King. Besides jewellery for myself, I have ordered most of my gold melted down and coated in sheets on the outer wall of the citadel, so any sailor will see my success as they approach.

Busilari forces crossed onto the island, occupying the land to the east of my citadel. No doubt they want to contain us and prevent an invasion of the mainland, but they are merely trapping themselves on the wrong side of my fleet.

The unrest in Khasa continued, with mobs of Humans rising up against the extension of slavery across the economy. I do not know what they intended to accomplish, a mob of peasants and weaklings against Gnollish garrisons, but at least Viakkoc had the sense to put them in their place once again.

We have to be ready for a war of a greater variety. To the east Kheterata lies divided into three. The Elves had only managed to take part of it in their campaign, and while they now have the grudging backing of the Khetarchs they only hold a portion of the river. The rest is held either by our allies, or by our old enemies in Gnollakaz. A three-way battle for hegemony over the land would be incredible, and certainly filled with glory and plunder.

Kheterata uses Empire of China mechanics in 1.35, and Elizna now has the Mandate. It's currently fairly high, so they are no pushover.

Despite this, Viakkoc is still focused on internal matters, such as raising a temple to darkness over Kokerrat in honour of his son. The strength of the Kult is still growing and the ascent of a demon-touched prince will only make it more so, so madness may yet overwhelm good sense. I am considering sending my new daughter to learn from the demon priests so that I have a way in if I need it.

There was a recent tragedy far to the east. Tluukt, matriarch of the Gnolls of Bulwar, has died. After the loss of Zokka to the zealots, she was the last pin holding together Gnollish rule in Bulwar. I fear that her clan will fall apart under pressure from the Elves, who then have the capacity to aid Elizna against us. It is one thing that I regret about taking to the sea, as when the battle is so far inland, without even a river great enough to carry a galley, there is nothing I can do to participate.

The last remnants of Deshak in the mountains have been subjugated, by our own allies. It boils my blood to see such an insult go unopposed, but I can also see that keeping the others as a buffer against the situation in Kheterata works to our favour. For now.

I would have gone to Viakkoc to make my opinion clear on the matter, but I soon learned that he was dead. A fit of madness during the pyre, a lucky claw-stroke in the bloody melee, or the will of a demonic mastermind, it wasn't exactly clear what had led to him choking on his own blood. All I knew was that his son, Viakkoc XII, had ascended to the throne of the Corsair Kingdom, and that my daughter, Lyhz, would be my key to getting access to him and leading him exactly where I wanted. Straight onto the plump and ripe coastlines of Cannor.

To be continued…

Vote

Rather than pile on all the votes at once when we finally getting to the point of splitting off from Viakkoc, I've decided to spread them out through these updates. First up, the legal code will be a major issue for the new nation, especially as so many ships will be away from civilization. What should be the general approach when drafting the legal code for free crew members?

Harsh Captaincy – The captain holds absolute power on their vessel, and should reward criminality with brutality. The crew suffers what they must.
Lenient Justice – A tyrant will inevitably lead to dissent; thus, a captain must treat their (non-slave) crew with respect. Granting leniency and taking a more proportionate share of the plunder will keep both sides satisfied.
Communal Responsibility – The crew are one, working together to survive a harsh life on the sea. Equal treatment and collective decision-making will bring them together.

Vote below by clicking on the image

Voting will remain open until the nation of Mykx is founded

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Communism every day, baby

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That doesn't make much sense for the satanist pirate slavers. Voted Captain instead!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's time we got to see a softer side of these demon-worshipping slaver pirates.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
All gnolls are equally depraved and vicious in the many eyes of Xhazob!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Bah, weak, all of you weak! The Captain should be free to deal out whatever justice they deem fit on the high seas!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

GunnerJ posted:

All gnolls are equally depraved and vicious in the many eyes of Xhazob!

But what about the non-gnolls that we're not keeping enslaved or sacrificing? Slippery Slope!!! :tinfoil:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I mean it honestly doesn't make much sense, but I'm interested to see how Sybot rolls with it. If only because it would be the most unusual choice.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Went Lenient. There is a fine, delicate balance between being merciful and looking weak; showing strength and setting yourself up for mutiny.
(Whether Leniency actually succeeds at this or flunks both for being wishy-washy is to be seen.)

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

I mean it honestly doesn't make much sense, but I'm interested to see how Sybot rolls with it. If only because it would be the most unusual choice.

I've got some thought about how I will handle it if the gentler options win. From the mundane like only 'free' crew are counted, to some more out-there ideas that put a twist on it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
went Harsh Captaincy because, well, it was the least appealing option to me personally... which means it ought to be perfect for the gnolls

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Arcanuse posted:

Went Lenient. There is a fine, delicate balance between being merciful and looking weak; showing strength and setting yourself up for mutiny.
(Whether Leniency actually succeeds at this or flunks both for being wishy-washy is to be seen.)

I'm leaning that way too. Gnolls are pack creatures at heart, so even with all the demon stuff, there's a certain level of reciprocity to go along with the discipline. Plus there's plenty of slaves and isolated monasteries full of gold to visit the unholy fury of the demon hordes upon.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm going for leniant too just to stop the ship's boy from eyeing the captain's back in the dark.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I went Communal because the overall goal is simple: take more plunder, take more captives. We saw the effectiveness of allowing the oarsmen to buy their own freedom. The strong will serve on the ships. The weak will be fodder. If any crew don't live up to the standards set by the crew, they can be thrown into the hold and replaced with someone who will perform. A weak and ineffectual officer will not be allowed to stay in their place. There will be churn in the ranks and the best will rise up to create the most feared fleets in the world.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I went Communal because the idea of demon-worshipping slaver pirates sitting down to talk about their feelings was funny.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Communal sounds the most interesting.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
BRUTAL CAPTAIN sounds most fitting (for these gnolls and the playthrough), but if communal does end up winning it'll be interesting to see how it's spun.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

McGavin posted:

I went Communal because the idea of demon-worshipping slaver pirates sitting down to talk about their feelings was funny.

broke: demon blood sacrifice circles
woke: demon conflict resolution circles
bespoke: demon conflict resolution / blood sacrifice circles

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I voted for BRUTAL CAPTAIN because I wanted a 100% evil playthrough, even when it wasn't optimal, because EVIL trumps *~optimal~* every time :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CommissarMega posted:

I voted for BRUTAL CAPTAIN because I wanted a 100% evil playthrough, even when it wasn't optimal, because EVIL trumps *~optimal~* every time :colbert:

:yeah:

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

we're demon worshiping pirates, we must have a suitably brutal captain

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:ussr::yarr::ussr:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
If there's something I was taught since I was a child is that Communism is the Greatest Evil so full support for Hell-Powered Maniacal Gnoll Pirate Communism

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
ia ia karrrrl marrrrx

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Xharr Marrzh in the original Gnollish.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I went Communal, pirates elect their captains after all

Arioch
Oct 6, 2018
Communal, it's us against the world!

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Chapter Three: Hellfire over Cannor
1468-1491

Hilltop overlooking the city of Hapainé, Busilar, 1471

Erela held the journal tight to her chest as an unnatural warm wind blew across the ruined hillside. Thousands of marching Gnolls had churned the land into a devastated mudscape, and the few trees had been chopped down to build an elevated platform for the ritual and a pyre for the sacrifices they would take if this was to succeed. She stood at the back of the platform, an honoured position for a slave such as herself. The only other Humans, captured Busilari nobility, were knelt in front of the priests, beaten and dressed in rags. Their finest clothes and jewellery had been ripped from them as the horde had rampaged through their homes. Erela was numb to it now. She had seen the same scene a thousand times in her service to the Salt-Blade line.

The shouting and whooping of the assembled army reached a fever pitch, and an overeager Gnoll grabbed at her shoulder, teeth bared. Kazz, stood just beside her, immediately squared up to him and gnashed his teeth. An old warrior, bulky and powerful, was enough to intimidate the enthusiastic warrior into backing off.

"Do not fear, slave," Kazz said, ruffling her hair before turning back to face the front.

They had never referred to her by her actual name, just 'slave', or 'scribe', but she had never forgotten it, not since she had been taken. It was a reminder that she was more than just a tool, and that she had initiative. Initiative that was now paying off, after nearly thirty years of service, as she shaped the life of an entire prominent line of Gnollish nobility.

Her young mistress, Lyhz, was one of the youngest Gnolls stood at the very front of the platform. Lyhz caught her looking, and gave her a wave, knife in hand. Erela stared back, and gave a smile, toothless of course, and a slight wave in response.

The sound of drums silenced the crowds and everyone's eyes turned to the front. Atop the highest point on the platform, the Corsair King began to recite an incantation. The wind increased in ferocity, making Erela feel as though she was stood besides the flames of a pyre, with the scent of cooked human flesh in the air.

One of the priests called out, "I name Forzzra! It shall all be ours!"

Lyhz spoke next, her voice firm and loud over the howling wind, "I name Kentryn! They do not deserve their treasures!"

The third priest cried out, "I name Kzryl! Our fury shall be unrelenting!"

A moment later, wet, strangled cries filled the air as each priest executed their sacrifices. The wind redoubled in intensity, swirling around Viakkoc as he raised his hands into the air and let out a howl that could be heard across the hilltop and down in the city below. The wind swirled and filled with embers, rising and condensing above his hands. In a flash, the air ignited and a green-yellow light blossomed over the hilltop. A fireball larger a house roared in the air, leaving Erela feeling as though her hair might catch fire any moment. Some of the Gnolls closer to Viakkoc in fact suffered that fate, their fur igniting and their flailing, burning bodies stumbling off the platform.

The king himself was unaffected, despite his hands grazing the bottom of the inferno.

"I name Xhazob! Strike them down!" Viakkoc shouted, and he flung the fireball forward.

The light descended down the hill and out of sight, suddenly leaving Erela dark-blind as nighttime resumed. A few terrible seconds later there was a roar and the crashing of stone. The city had been breached. A cheer rang up from the assembled Gnolls, and they began to rush down the hill to take the battle inside, though most on top of the platform stayed where they were.

Erela leaned against Kazz, her breathing ragged even though she had done nothing but watched. She had seen a lot, but that had been something else. The wind died down, and the air was deathly quiet besides the battle cries getting ever more distant.

"Scribe!" Lyhz said, a toothy grin bared. She ran over to the two of them, practically bouncing. Her hands were still covered in the blood of her sacrifices.

"Yes, young mistress?" Erela asked.

"Did I do well?" the Gnoll. As young as she was, she was only as tall as Erela herself, so they were able to look eye-to-eye. Lyhz's eyes sparkled despite the dark night and their darker colour.

Erela cast a glance at Viakkoc XII, who was now swarming with attendants. Her charge had just participated in the doom of thousands, but she had already risen to one of the highest positions in the Kult, and had direct access to the king himself. Erela was not sure would come of it, but with the fleet and the Kult perhaps the Salt-Blade line could create something altogether new.

"You did perfectly," she said, giving Lyhz a scratch under her snout.

Excerpts from the journal of Lyhz, daughter of Mrynzu, priestess of Kentryn

I'm old enough now that mother has let me look at how to run the citadel. She showed me how we had made a fortune by making all the captured soldiers work in the mines. Most of the gold went to Via, but our slice made us the richest nobles in the land!

I have been very busy with my temple studies. New temples are being raised every day on the mainland with the money taken from our mines and from raiding the coasts to the north. As a priestess I need to chose a patron demon from the host, but its so tricky. I can't just pick Xhazob and be done. Mother wants me to pick something related to the sea, but all the elder priests talk about is sand, gold, and blood, not water.

Mother is dead. She was always so strong, and now she is gone. Her soul has surely been devoured by now, so the whispers say, so I cannot even try to contact her through the blood of a sacrifice. Yeena, one of the captains from her faction, has taken the Salt-Tower and the fleet, and Kazz has sworn to keep an eye on me until I'm fully grown. Challengers are sure to try and take the golden citadel from us, but he is strong. Finding my patron is even more important now, so that I can call upon their power and let him rest.

The Humans are fighting amongst themselves over petty marital squabbles. Mother always said it was for fools, that you could only rely on your wits and strengths, not a random Gnoll that just happened to give you a litter. But it has been a revelation. Just like a spurned mistress, the ocean is envious. She desires what the land has, and will take from it through tide and wave and storm. Kentryn empowers those who take, and through his power I will take what I am owed.

We, all the new priests inducted into the Kult, were summoned by Via for a great gathering in front of the temple in Khasa. He called for a great pillage of Busilar, while their armies were away fighting for trivial purposes. Each priest had to call upon an Invocation of Hellfire from their patron, with the greatest being allowed to go to war alongside him. I envisioned a fortress twice as large as mine, built by the fat and lazy rulers on the mainland, and the power of Kentryn flowed through me, igniting my sacrifices before I even had the chance to slit their throats myself. Even I was amazed, and Via selected me to be one of his personal priests!

For ten demonic power, you can run one invocation for twenty years. Only one invocation can run at a time, but they can be switched out at any time. The Invocation of Hellfire is by far the strongest, turning your armies into murder machines in the shock phase, while the others are average and maybe not worth spending power on unless you really need what they offer.

The chosen few were invited to discuss Via's plans for the campaign against Busilar. He wanted us to add our power to his, to draw the demonic energy in and enhance his own. His own talents primarily lie in elemental magic, drawing on the Pits themselves to call forth hellfire on our foes, so together we could flood entire cities with flames. I was enthusiastic and maybe spoke a bit too eagerly and out of turn, but Via was kind enough to acknowledge my excitement and bring forward more sacrifices.

We didn't cover magic much in the dwarven campaign, so here is some of the run down. There are eight schools of magic, and your ruler can have one of four levels in each: Proficient (effectively no skill), Talented, Renowned, Legendary. The levels can be trained, but a mage from a race without extended lifespan is unlikely to be able to progress more than one school from Proficient to Legendary. The starting stats are fairly random, so we are very lucky to have Evocation starting at Renowned.

Then and there, we conducted a ritual that resonated through every Gnoll within a hundred miles. I could feel my blood stirring and burning, and I'm not even a warrior! The war ritual would sharpen our claws, strengthen our muscles, and harden our fur, and make our warriors a match to any mounted knight of Cannor. It was time for the invasion to begin.

The reason that its lucky is that Evocation is where the war magic lives, giving us another boost on top of the Invocation of Hellfire. If Viakkoc was Legendary it would be even stronger. Evocation also gives us access to powerful siege spells.

The crossing fell with ease. The Humans had been fighting up near the Dameshead, and their fleet was exhausted and depleted, leaving it easy prey for Yeena's forces. I was able to watch the battle from the peak of the citadel, and entreated Kentryn for power for every Human soul he swallowed.

The war progressed very quickly, and soon we were on the doorstep of their capital. Our raiding parties freely ravaged the land, and a bunch of nobles were swept up as sacrifices. As I and the other chosen were called up to join the siege, I was inundated by so many gifts of gold and personal slaves from the warriors, seeking my favour, it was so sweet. At Kentryn's silent urging, I demanded even more! Everything was sent back to Toref to join the hoard.

Siege magic can be cast from the Ruler Magic menu, but it also has a shortcut in the form of a decision that will list all available siege magic options.

It was an incredible sight to see, when Via launched a fireball more than a mile down the hillside. The city walls almost melted under the heat, and the flames greedily devoured any Humans who were foolish enough to get too close. Gnolls too, Xhazob takes all. Via did not participate in the assault and he told us that he was concerned that if he led the charge, wreathed in hellfire, he might be mistaken for a new Xhazobain. I think that would be cool! I don't know why that would be a problem! After feeling his magic pulsing through my body, I can't think of a better leader for a great Xhaz against the weaklings.

Our new Busilari slaves still held onto too much of their pride. As they were branded with the hellfire-whip of Xhazob and separated to be shipped to different ports across the Divenhal, they started to become more compliant and productive. The whip masters in Toref had been reporting we'd been running out of mining slaves, so it has been a very productive plunder.

Years passed as we ravaged our way across the land. I learned much of the ways of conquest during that time. How best to hunt down loose slaves, where cowards tried to hide themselves and their treasures, what mighty structures they had built and how best to tear them down. Most of the treasure was passed up to Via, but through my portion of the spoils as a chosen priestess and a countess I am now one of the wealthiest Gnolls in the kingdom. Kentryn asks me to take more, to climb over the bodies of the others to stand besides Via.

As we conducted raids across the border into the Empire of Anbennar, we encountered the unusual sight of Gnolls fighting alongside Humans. After capturing some, we found these traitors had renounced Xhazob and sworn themselves to the Human and Elven gods in exchange for protection from the Emperor. I sacrificed them myself for that insult.

The Dovesworn Gnolls are pretty interesting, but don't have too much content

Finally, the fervour died down, and we returned fat with plunder. Our tribes still held swathes of the coast, as well as liberated Gnollish territory in the western hills, and they made an ongoing effort to ensure that all signs of Human civilisation were razed and the survivors enslaved. Busilar had once been completely ruled by Gnolls, and now it would be again.

Via has a child, Little Via, and I can't help but bristle at the thought that he isn't mine. Mother once said that she had felt the same, and until now I thought she was just being dramatic. I need a litter of my own, a proper daughter or son raised to desire what others have, wield the powers of Kentryn, and with the same common sense that Mother had shown.

The Emperor declared our invasion of Busilar a disaster of unimaginable proportions, and called for his subjects to team up against us. Xhazob guide us, this is why Via should have taken the title of Xhazobain. The Humans, Elves, and their mixed progeny would not stand a chance against the full force of a raging Xhaz. Each priest of the Kult has called upon their patron to act against the rulers of the Empire, to sow discord and slow their mustering.

I do not know if the demonic host is too busy with the task we have given them, or if they have abandoned us. As we attempted to finish off Eborthíl and their ally, Verne, Via faltered in his power and failed to breach the walls of the wyvern rider's great coastal fortress.

An example of what failure looks like when casting a fireball.

The Emperor must have seen this as a sign of weakness, as he and his vast army are now descending upon us. All the greatest warriors and priests have been called to Cannor, for the final battle is upon us. If we should win, then whether he believes it or not Via truly is the Xhazobain.

Our fleets, while powerful, were overwhelmed by sheer numbers. Though three times as many enemy galleys were sunk, they were forced to withdraw back to the Sarhali mainland, leaving me along with Via and the rest of the armies trapped in Cannor.

Vast armies crossed the mountains into Busilar, numbering somewhere between six-to-ten times our number. Via was not disheartened, as he called upon all the Gnolls of Cannor to rise up and join him in battle. For the first time he intended to take the field, and call reams of hellfire directly onto the enemy armies. Cries of "Xhaz" echoed across the land, and I was among them, as we prepared to meet the invaders head-on.

When your ruler is a mage, you want to use this decision rather than the usual button for turning them into a general. This will give them the extra pips that a war wizard gets.

We descended upon them outside the fortress at Lorincrag under a sky green with hellfire. The other priests and I invoked our pacts with all the power we could muster, while Via charged atop a war hyena with his blade blazing hot. There were so many, but we cut down three of theirs for everyone one of ours. Then their mages entered the fray. Great barriers were raised over the army to block our fireballs, and war wizards engaged on equal footing with our greatest warriors, striking them down with fire and lightning. Via sounded the retreat, and we fled into the hills with our tails between our legs. Our dreams of Xhaz had died within days.

The power of all the military buffs we have. Consider just how large the numbers disparity is there, and yet we still came out ahead in casualties. And actually survived.

The war was not over, though. We began engaging in guerrilla war, striking wherever the enemy mages were not. The siege of my citadel was lifted, and the Isle of Tef returned to our control as we were able to ship our army over the strait when our allies distracted the coalition fleet.

But eventually sheer numbers wore down our fleets and ended up with our armies trapped having been split up during an attempted crossing. Blind zealous fury would not carry us any further, and I thought back to Mother's lessons. A little bit of cunning was needed, and could turn a defeat into an opportunity.

We continued to strike where they were weakest, slaying their mages and killing more than twice our number. When outnumbered nearly ten-to-one it would not matter in the end, but it would sap their will to fight.

Viakkoc approached one of their mighty mage-kings and offered a deal that would see Gnollish forces withdraw from the mainland and pay a significant sum of reparations. Exhausted, with more than a quarter-million dead from disease and battle, the imperial armies agreed to the deal and allowed us to return to the Isles of Tef. During the confusion of the withdrawal, many of the Hill Gnolls in western Busilar took the opportunity to break away, while Eborthíl tried to reclaim some of their islands in the hope that we would be too exhausted to oppose them.

Can you see the trick?

They were wrong, as our angry and hungry warriors descended upon them and slaughtered them. The pyres burned high, both in mourning for those we had lost in the war and in celebration for our subsequent victory, and the screams of the sacrifices echoed long into the night. It was not all in vain, as we had carried away a massive portion of Busilar's wealth and population in our brief occupation. Xhazob and his host would smile upon us, and forge our greed and envy into a fire that would burn them down in revenge one day.

The AI does not care that I was still at war with a nation I just offered to return provinces to, so I can take them right back.

Our fleets had been shattered, with only half of our galleys surviving. At the very least, the Salt-Tower still stood tall at the head of it all. Much of our treasure will need to go into building ships, perhaps more mighty carracks, and facing the Humans on an even footing.

A pirate crew docked at the citadel today, and swaggered up to sell me some maps at a ridiculous inflated price. I almost had them thrown out, until they told of strange and valuable artefacts the Elves they had raided had been carrying as they approached port in Venáil. Curious as to the source, I haggled down their price until I was satisfied and got my hands on the Elven maps. They showed ocean currents that lead to the west, with hints of land beyond there. The possibilities were endless, but I was not sure how much of this I wanted to trust to Via after his failure against the Humans. I discretely had the maps sent to Yeena so that plunder of these new trade routes could begin, and directed my desires to what treasures might lay in this shadowed land to the west so that Kentryn might favour us.

Little Via is a different beast to his father. Wrathful and cruel, but to his fellow Gnolls and not just his slaves. Fury is good, if it is directed at the right targets. Are the demons having us turn on each other for our failures?

Travelling back and forth between Kokerrat and Toref, things are really shifting. When I was a pup most Gnolls were squatting in the ruins of the cities we burned, or in tents on the outskirts of the cities we raided for slaves. Now, more often we are building for ourselves, making use of the know-how of the Cannorian slaves to build up our cities. The Kult is commissioning great images of our patrons to stand watch over our temples and our pyres. From what Kazz says, things have changed so much they are almost unrecognisable.

Thirsty for vengeance, Via led another great raid into Busilar. I could feel the fight had left him though, even as he levelled their capital with an earthquake. Hellish rock formations tore the city apart, and he ordered every able-bodied inhabitant and every piece of wealth to be seized. Then, he told us we would be heading home.

Magical Infamy is a stat that determines how evil your mage ruler is seen as. If it is too high, they will be declared a Witch-King and every 'good' nation will get a CB against you. It can be raised by casting spells that cause indiscriminate damage, conducting unethical magical research, performing necromancy, and probably a few other ways. I think it might rise faster if your mages have ties to the Magisterium. I assume the ruler of Vertesk did some combination of the above in quick succession to get the hammer to fall on them in Chapter One.

We returned rich in body and soul, and the pyres lit up across the kingdom, but it was as though the dream of a great Xhaz across Cannor had been snuffed out completely as we abandoned all the land we took. Would Xhazob be content with us raiding around the edges of their civilization, or would he have us want more? I know what I want, what Kentryn is telling me to do. I will contact Yeena, see if she stole any more maps of this mysterious new land.

You can also gain sacrifices in peace treaties, the more development their capital has the better.

To be continued…

Vote

There are two votes this time, as time is actually running down before we'll be switching and there are still things to be voted on.

The first vote is on what we will do with slaves we capture from the other colonial ventures. The first temptation would be to sacrifice them, of course, but in a fresh, mostly empty, world we will likely be short of bodies for various tasks so we might find a different purpose to help accelerate our growth.

Sacrifice them – The demons will provide for us.
Put them to work in the fleet – We will need a large fleet to dominate these unknown seas.
Put them to work in the plantations/mines – Aelantir is rich in resources, but such work is not worthy of Gnollish hands. Let the slaves handle it.
Sell them – Money is the most versatile prize; an early injection of cold hard cash will be invaluable.

The second vote is relatively minor, as it only affects a single event, but I couldn't find a way for either of the previous votes to apply to it.

In the early lawless days of Mykx, the various factions of the nation try to take the law into their own hands. We have the opportunity to legitimize some of their actions, and ensure the state feels the benefits.

Allow the Captains to accept policing contracts – As a captain is law on their ship, their authority may also extend to the land, so even the most lawless port can be tamed. So what if they can be bribed, as long as order is maintained.
Allow the Smugglers to enforce embargoes – They know how goods flow, so they know how to strangle those sources. If they skim a little off the top, it is no matter if our enemies suffer more.
Allow the Colonialists to take prisoners as labourers – The prisoners can work off their sentences improving our colonies, and if they so happen to die before their sentence is up, they should have been stronger.

Voting will last until the nation of Mykx is founded.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gotta have someone to grow narcotics and it sure isn't going to be Gnolls. Plantation/Mines and Labour Contracts

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Slaughter the slaves to make servants of demons! Send them to die in faraway lands for our profit! TURN THE SEAS RED WITH BLOOD!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

More glorious carnage!

If there is one thing I have learned from games such as Dominions it is that sacrificing to demons is always a good idea.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Poil posted:

More glorious carnage!

If there is one thing I have learned from games such as Dominions it is that sacrificing to demons is always a good idea.

Once you pop you just can't stop.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
What are the in game effects of siege magic? Does it actually progress the siege counter or does it just lower defensiveness or something such?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Most of the time it just gives a big defensiveness debuff, but some of the bigger ones like the dragon transformation or mind control spells can just straight up win you the siege outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Banemaster posted:

What are the in game effects of siege magic? Does it actually progress the siege counter or does it just lower defensiveness or something such?

Golem/Earthquake lowers defensiveness, fireball gives you progress