Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, okay, that's pretty awesome. Surprising amount of focus on characters I don't remember be that much in the show though, did it get more episodes in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Japanese intros are just cheating

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The Japanese Beast Wars intro is the only good part of that dub from everything I've read.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I wasn't really excited about new Transformers comics (i was never able to get into the idw stuff) but when I saw that it's written and illustrated by Daniel Warren Johnson, I became interested. If you don't know Johnson's work, go read his recent series Do A Powerbomb! it's fantastic.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I didn’t think much of Do A Powerbomb, personally. It’s nothing particularly special as far as comic books go and I don’t really get the hype.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Joe Fisto posted:

I wasn't really excited about new Transformers comics (i was never able to get into the idw stuff) but when I saw that it's written and illustrated by Daniel Warren Johnson, I became interested. If you don't know Johnson's work, go read his recent series Do A Powerbomb! it's fantastic.

Oh word? I've only seen what people have posted of Do A Powerbomb in the panels threads, but it does look pretty great

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I didn’t think much of Do A Powerbomb, personally. It’s nothing particularly special as far as comic books go and I don’t really get the hype.

Eh, we don't all have to like the same stuff.

Phy posted:

Oh word? I've only seen what people have posted of Do A Powerbomb in the panels threads, but it does look pretty great

Warren does dynamic scenes so well. Very kenetic, which I think will be good for a TF book. A person might not be into the story if they don't enjoy professional wrestling, but i still think it's worth checking out. He did a Beta Ray Bill mini for marvel a couple years back, that was good too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That’s not Ignition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWxjQw7enZY

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fil5000 posted:

Is there anything else that you're after so I can say it's unlikely to happen and thereby cause Hasbro to announce it? I'm fascinated to see what they do with Springer, I hope they give him the concealed wrist blaster thing.

I want an IDW style Rodimus, also maybe Fortress Maximus (where he turns into the tank thing, rather than A Head or Him Just Sitting Down)

Let's see if I can do it again, or whether I just blew my own manifestation on something cool but admittedly pretty minor...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Randalor posted:

Yeah, okay, that's pretty awesome. Surprising amount of focus on characters I don't remember be that much in the show though, did it get more episodes in Japan?

The best hypothesis we have is that it was partly based on plans for season 4, hence the massive dark figure who doesn't appear in this show, plus increased focus on Ironhide and Jazz being in the group lineup at the end since they were going to join the main cast.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Japanese intros are just cheating

If you just want to talk western intros, the Beast Machines opening sells a way better show than it actually is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNNQk4acqg4

Dabir fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 15, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Also yes the Japanese Beast Wars dub is absolute garbage and so is every dub like it. Special shoutout to the Beast Machines dub, in which the main cast assumes Nightscream and Silverbolt are gay because they're both fliers and so spend a lot of time together, and nickname them The Homo Boys. Also Nightscream is dubbed as an effeminate Hard Gay impression.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

I have a terrible confession to make: I don't hate the Beast Machines cartoon. I thought it was fine for what it was, that it shouldn't have been billed as a direct sequel to Beast Wars, but ultimately that the plot revolved around one of the few times a "Both sides are wrong" message actually worked in context.

Hello, I'm the other person that doesn't hate Beast Machines. I think the show is massively flawed and for fans of Beast Wars, honestly frustrating to watch because of how it handled the characters. But, it's got incredible vibes.

There was never an official soundtrack release for either show was there?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Randalor posted:

No, but it looks like they made this more for season 4 than for season 3. The dark figure at the start looks like it lines up with the leaks for the cancelled season, where Megatron is manipulating Cybertronian politics behind the scenes to start a war with earth

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Yee-haw!

https://twitter.com/showzstore/status/1669502297410248708?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tighclops posted:

Hello, I'm the other person that doesn't hate Beast Machines. I think the show is massively flawed and for fans of Beast Wars, honestly frustrating to watch because of how it handled the characters. But, it's got incredible vibes.

The soundtrack is one song

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
man, I love watching those internet movie reviewers who after years of the bayverse go back and watch the 86 movie, usually for the first time, and just start cynical and derisive, get super hyped like 15 minutes in, stay jazzed the rest, and then are like "why aren't the current movies like this?"

Like it's not any less stupid for its own reasons, but it just has like a flare.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tighclops posted:

I think it handles most of the characters consistently with BW with one incredibly notable exception but that one exception is such an inexplicable heel turn that it does a lot of damage

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Fil5000 posted:

I think it handles most of the characters consistently with BW with one incredibly notable exception but that one exception is such an inexplicable heel turn that it does a lot of damage

I know who you're talking about, but aside from that Primal, Cheetor, and Megatron are completely different characters in Beast Machines. Megatron in particular has no relation to his BW self beyond the mannerisms Kaye gives him, and his entire reason for doing what he does in the show is completely out of nowhere and has zero setup, justification, or elaboration as to why he would suddenly decide this was one of his goals. I guess being strapped to a spaceship changes a bot? loving stupid.

It's a pretty subpar show on its own. As a followup to Beast Wars it's a goddamn crime.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Keldroc posted:

I know who you're talking about, but aside from that Primal, Cheetor, and Megatron are completely different characters in Beast Machines. Megatron in particular has no relation to his BW self beyond the mannerisms Kaye gives him, and his entire reason for doing what he does in the show is completely out of nowhere and has zero setup, justification, or elaboration as to why he would suddenly decide this was one of his goals. I guess being strapped to a spaceship changes a bot? loving stupid.

It's a pretty subpar show on its own. As a followup to Beast Wars it's a goddamn crime.

Didn't they tell the BM people not to watch Beast Wars which was... why?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I kind of buy Cheetor as a logical evolution of his character in BW. He starts out as the rookie eager to prove himself, and after everything he went through in BW he feels he's ready for a shot at bigger and better things. Plus Primal is suddenly seeming less reliable, more driven by pseudo-religious visions, Cheetor feels it's his duty to step up and take charge as the most senior member of the team who isn't Rattrap.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fil5000 posted:

That's not the one exception, it's not even the worst example. Rattrap went from a streetwise lifer who just wanted to ride out the job until his retirement to a whiny teen stereotype

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I might whine too if I ended up looking like that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
When you look at organic components in Beast Machines as a sort of hippy free love sexuality deal, Megatron becomes a vital essence retention guy, which is very funny.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The introduction of actual organic parts and Megatron somehow gaining the power to reformat Cybertron to his liking both really shook things up at a basic level.

Megatron finally gets the power to get what he wants? What he wants isn't really that great but it's HIS, dammit.

And I wasn't surprised too much at the spoilered heel turn at all. I'd been wondering where they were. Everyone can be worn down eventually.

Of course, I haven't seen either of the Beast shows since I caught every one of them on their original air date so it's very probable I don't remember everything clearly. Maybe I'll get the time to watch them again at some point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The voice director messed up the heel turn reveal. That character was supposed to explain why they did what they did calmly and rationally, to show that it was their genuine choice, but it was directed with lots of angry snarling that made it sound like they'd been somehow corrupted.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

flavor.flv posted:

That's not the one exception, it's not even the worst example. Rattrap went from a streetwise lifer who just wanted to ride out the job until his retirement to a whiny teen stereotype

I will never forgive dan didio for a lot of things, but Rattrap's character assassination is the worst of them, to me

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That Void Rivals book had a pretty cliche plot, but it was handled well enough. The creative teams for the upcoming books look good too.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Open Marriage Night posted:

That Void Rivals book had a pretty cliche plot, but it was handled well enough. The creative teams for the upcoming books look good too.

Yeah, mild spoilers, I guess: it's basically Enemy Mine: the Comic, story-wise. I kept wondering how it was going to tie in to Transformers and then Jetfire shows up for, like 4 panels and then Poochies out of there. Made me laugh. Overall, I was whelmed. I am looking forward to the regular TF ongoing.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Open Marriage Night posted:

I read it last night and it was okay. I do think it's neat to be at the start of a whole new thing, rather than playing catchup. I don't know if I will keep going with VR, but I'm down to give the new TF and GI Joe books a fair shot.

I know there are a lot of fans of the IDW books here, I just bounced off the ones I read. I don't specifically recall which books they were, but from my recollecton they were basically just 'bots talking. Was IDW just a soap opera or was there a war that I missed?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

I know there are a lot of fans of the IDW books here, I just bounced off the ones I read. I don't specifically recall which books they were, but from my recollecton they were basically just 'bots talking. Was IDW just a soap opera or was there a war that I missed?

Basically More Than Meets The Eye and Robots in Disguise came about after the end of the main conflict and then both series are different examinations on what do you do when the war you've been fighting for millions of years is over. Also yes, they are mostly melodrama.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

the guy from Semisonic posted:

Yeah, mild spoilers, I guess: it's basically Enemy Mine: the Comic, story-wise. I kept wondering how it was going to tie in to Transformers and then Jetfire shows up for, like 4 panels and then Poochies out of there. Made me laugh. Overall, I was whelmed. I am looking forward to the regular TF ongoing.

Considering the other big twist of issue one that the two main characters who are supposedly different warring races who both have cultural taboos about letting the other race see their technology, communicate in any fashion, or reveal their faces to the other, and when they do that last one at the end of the issue and we find out that they are in fact definitely the same species under their helmets, I suspect in future issues we're going to find out that the whole divide between their cultures and their forever war has been artificially engineered by the Autobots and Decepticons as a proxy for their own never ending war

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Anora posted:

man, I love watching those internet movie reviewers who after years of the bayverse go back and watch the 86 movie, usually for the first time, and just start cynical and derisive, get super hyped like 15 minutes in, stay jazzed the rest, and then are like "why aren't the current movies like this?"

Like it's not any less stupid for its own reasons, but it just has like a flare.
The thing about the 86 movie is that it's stupid, but it's joyfully stupid. I enjoy the Bayverse stuff fine, but it's stupid due to cynicality and laziness.

Joe Fisto posted:

I read it last night and it was okay. I do think it's neat to be at the start of a whole new thing, rather than playing catchup. I don't know if I will keep going with VR, but I'm down to give the new TF and GI Joe books a fair shot.

Did you read Last Stand of the Wreckers? Because if not then you definitely should.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, recommend James Roberts' work to the guy who was turned off by characters being talking heads. That'll work out just fine. :P

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I do recall reading the Wreckers book and enjoying it.

My ADHD just can't handle the sheer amount of words on page in the other IDW books I read. Felt like they might as well have been a prose novel for the sheer amout of text.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Last Stand was a collaborative effort between Roberts and Nick Roche iirc, though I'm not sure who had more input on the writing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think James Roberts's main interests were talking heads sitcoms and brutal agonizing character deaths. With a little bit of intrigue to keep things rolling.

For a time he was going through a lot of the beats of Doctor Who, complete with the fact that after the plates stop spinning, the spell ends and I don't really want to have anything to do with it for a long while after.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also it has the serious issue of setting up this intriguing thing and then oh, it turns out it’s just Pharma again

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Also it has the serious issue of setting up this intriguing thing and then oh, it turns out it’s just the Cybermen again

Only a little bit of intrigue, mind you.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Guiding Hand being all Roberts’ OCs except they got shot with a forgetness ray was really dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Nodosaur posted:

The Guiding Hand being all Roberts’ OCs except they got shot with a forgetness ray was really dumb

Are you mad that the characters and concepts created by him were used in the story he wrote?

What narrative media do you consume that doesn't do that?