Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Everything they've said in the dev talk is good

that is a lie outback steakhouse is not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kawabata posted:

- why do some normal mobs deal obscene amounts of damage, way more than some elite affixes? (yeah I'm talking about wraiths and their variants)

There's a tendency to telegraphed moves being much higher damage than their other moves. Not all elites get a move like that so it stands out when you run into it. And on top of that wraiths are hitting for elemental damage.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

LMAO not mentioning stash space at all = 120% theyre gonna sell it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s not great

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They clumsily attempted to clarify the renown account bonuses in seasons but I don't think they actually clarified anything at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

so basically you get renown credit for all the lilith statues + discovering the map. 2 tiers worth of renown. will have to complete the rest for the paragon points

Math nerds said it's nearly the 3rd tier.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

so basically you get renown credit for all the lilith statues + discovering the map. 2 tiers worth of renown. will have to complete the rest for the paragon points

It's better than nothing, but it takes much longer to do a bunch of side quests for 20 renown a piece than it does to do the statues, so I don't think it helps all that much.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

At some point, skipping over all the renown stuff just cuts out a big chunk of the game, but the running around to click statues and fill out the map stuff gets boring fast, so I'm good with this approach.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wait, so exploration and altar Renown will carry over, but not dungeon, side quest, stronghold? That's cringe, genuinely who wants to do any of that poo poo again?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

At some point, skipping over all the renown stuff just cuts out a big chunk of the game, but the running around to click statues and fill out the map stuff gets boring fast, so I'm good with this approach.

Yeah it cuts out a part that sucks rear end, the fun part of the game isn't running dungeons over and over and over again or doing a bunch of side quests and skipping all the dialogue. There's no reason to make people do all that poo poo twice. Going into the season with a bunch of paragon and skill points would have been awesome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are skipping the campaign it won’t be so bad I guess

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

fadam posted:

Wait, so exploration and altar Renown will carry over, but not dungeon, side quest, stronghold? That's cringe genuinely who wants to do any of that poo poo again?

people who like diablo probably. stronghold quests rule

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've done almost no side quests or dungeons, but cleared most of the statues, so I'm happy. And strongholds are cool so I don't mind doing them again, though I'll probably change my mind by season 3 or 4. But if retention drops off they might end up being more generous about renown carrying over later anyway.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mbt posted:

people who like diablo probably. stronghold quests rule

I love Diablo and I'd rather do whispers or nightmare dungeons instead, checkmate. Once you've done the stronghold quest once it's just a big event.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

fadam posted:

I love Diablo and I'd rather do whispers or nightmare dungeons instead, checkmate.

that's awesome. you're going to do the dungeons and side quests anyway, too bad! lmao

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

the fun part of the game isn't running dungeons over and over and over again or doing a bunch of side quests and skipping all the dialogue

if quests and dungeons aren't fun maybe diablo isn't for you??

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

kumba posted:

if quests and dungeons aren't fun maybe diablo isn't for you??

There's a substantial part of the game that is fun that most people would rather do instead.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The renown thing isn't that confusing tbh

When you start a new season:

- Altars of Lilith carry over from your non-seasonal chars
- Map progress carries over from your non-seasonal chars
- The renown points you earn from altars and map discovery carry over
- The renown points that carry over unlock 2 tiers of renown rewards
- Side dungeons, side quests, and strongholds have to be done again to earn the other 3 tiers of renown rewards

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

fadam posted:

There's a substantial part of the game that is fun that most people would rather do instead.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1454400/Cookie_Clicker/

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

fadam posted:

Wait, so exploration and altar Renown will carry over, but not dungeon, side quest, stronghold? That's cringe, genuinely who wants to do any of that poo poo again?

Yeah it cuts out a part that sucks rear end, the fun part of the game isn't running dungeons over and over and over again or doing a bunch of side quests and skipping all the dialogue. There's no reason to make people do all that poo poo twice. Going into the season with a bunch of paragon and skill points would have been awesome.

Its literally the whole point of seasons, and the game in general. Sorry you wasted a bunch of time and burnt out before the seasons start with the real juice

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

fadam posted:

I love Diablo and I'd rather do whispers or nightmare dungeons instead, checkmate.

You get renown credit for finishing the dungeon in a NM dungeon too.

It's very difficult to actually not do any side dungeons or strongholds from level 1 to 50.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like to hold down right click as my character whirlwinds down straight hallways. That’s it. That’s all I want

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do NM dungeons cover all the dungeons?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's very difficult to actually not do any side dungeons or strongholds from level 1 to 50.

Sure, but why not just let all renown carry over so you don't have to worry about coverage? Getting to Renown 5 takes a long rear end time. I think a lot of the people who think they're going to enjoy this are fooling themselves into thinking doing all the boring poo poo a second time is going to be as fun.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

euphronius posted:

No, its a set pool that will rotate per season

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

no, or at least not yet

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

there's a summary at wowhead if y'all don't care to watch the video

https://www.wowhead.com/diablo-4/news/diablo-4-campfire-chat-liveblog-summary-333518

Kind of nice when the only complaint that comes to mind is "yes but sooner"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Kawabata posted:

Some quick questions to the expert barbs here since I'm a gamer dad nowadays. To give a little bit of perspective, I'm lvl 66 with the icyveins rend build, doing maybe tier 24-25 nightmare dungeons, and dying way more than I should.

- who decided it's cool not to give melee any stun resistance? why do most elites stack stuns and explosions and new stuns and new explosions so that most deaths look like "couldn't move for 4 seconds in a row while 7 seven things exploded in my loving face"?

Unstoppable is the intended counter here. You can get 2 easy ones through War Cry and Wrath of the Berserker, then pick up a 3rd thru Affixes (activates when CCed while Injured, has a cooldown). There are other options as well. Still, 3 has been enough for me; I rarely need more than 2 to clear any given pack.

quote:

- why do the very skills that are supposed to make melee tolerable fail at their one job? Steel Grasp is a chain that grabs distant enemies to group them in front of you. Cool? Not really, half the mobs can't be pulled and there's no rhyme or reason to what it doesn't work on. Why the gently caress can I pull massive demons but not dog-sized porcupines?

Steel Grasp is indeed flaky. I dropped it for Leap, which is consistently available with the Affix that reduces its cooldown by up to 9 seconds per use. It can also generate Fury, and you can never have too much of that.

isk fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 16, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

euphronius posted:

They definitely do not. They rotate between seasons. At least they said they will.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

It's super easy to not do any side quests though because they are hugely inefficient for leveling and often involve running back and forth without killing things for minutes at a time.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Kawabata posted:

Some quick questions to the expert barbs here since I'm a gamer dad nowadays. To give a little bit of perspective, I'm lvl 66

Lmao

e: there's nothing wrong with this post but I'm single and just hit 62 yesterday so it amused me

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Once you get out of Act II you'll understand.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
They're gonna sell additional renown carryover in the season pass aren't they

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

I'm a dad and only have 11 minutes a day to play after I put my 4 children to bed after working for 12 hours. Anyway I'm level 91 and in Act 3, what's a good build for a rogue

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do not get the crying about having to do dungeons again. Wtf do you want to do, kill mobs out in the world?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

fadam posted:

some of y'all low iq and it shows

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Twitch chat is amazing.

"Can you please let us keep our items and characters into new seasons????"

This one is actually kinda understandable if it's a someone who's never played a diablo game before. Seasons just being a thing you do with your max level main to get some new cosmetics on the season pass bar is pretty common with a huge swath of modern games. For a lot of gamers "season" has just become synonymous with those season passes, not the seasonal ladder rush stuff that Blizz started back in the stone age.

I mean, I don't want that, I want my seasons the blizz way and am looking forward to rolling up new alts to try the new gimmick. That poo poo kept me playing D3 way longer than I ever should have. But I get why someone who was never exposed to that is confused.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

Sure, but why not just let all renown carry over so you don't have to worry about coverage? Getting to Renown 5 takes a long rear end time. I think a lot of the people who think they're going to enjoy this are fooling themselves into thinking doing all the boring poo poo a second time is going to be as fun.
Brother the season is 4 months long. Getting your 20 paragon points will take a single afternoon of actually playing the game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

This one is actually kinda understandable if it's a someone who's never played a diablo game before. Seasons just being a thing you do with your max level main to get some new cosmetics on the season pass bar is pretty common with a huge swath of modern games. For a lot of gamers "season" has just become synonymous with those season passes, not the seasonal ladder rush stuff that Blizz started back in the stone age.

I mean, I don't want that, I want my seasons the blizz way and am looking forward to rolling up new alts to try the new gimmick. That poo poo kept me playing D3 way longer than I ever should have. But I get why someone who was never exposed to that is confused.

Yeah it’s like telling a WoW/FF14 player that the new content patch is going to delete their character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do not get the crying about having to do dungeons again. Wtf do you want to do, kill mobs out in the world?

Well, helltides ARE pretty fun.