Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm gonna start doing anime gasps irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

I'm gonna start doing anime gasps irl

...!!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Every final fantasy game or nintendo first party title will have busted rear end reviews. The fanbases are rabid

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I call them “old lady noises.”

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I’m not playing a final fantasy until it’s Clive Barker’s Final Fantasy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aipsh posted:

I’m not playing a final fantasy until it’s Clive Barker’s Final Fantasy

FF16 stars Clive and a barker, is that good enough?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fridge corn posted:

It is insanely funny to me that FF16 was written and developed foremost for the English VA and the thing that everyone immediately noticed was the lack of "anime gasps"

I didn't because I play them all in Japanese

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Shammypants posted:

Every final fantasy game or nintendo first party title will have busted rear end reviews. The fanbases are rabid

Game: “I’m dead on arrival.”

Fans: “you owe me a pizza.”

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Arist posted:

For every time someone complains about the anime gasps I'm getting my dad Tetsuya Nomura to put 100 more in FF7 Rebirth

I like anime-gasps-centric FFVII for the record (and I'm almost certainly gonna play Rebirth before FFXVI) but it still nice to see them really shake up the formula

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think the thing that bugged me the most about the FF16 demo was that there was no reason the queen would let Clive live - it's far more likely she'd order him to be killed and then the commander would be like "actually you'd make a good soldier so bugger that"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Perhaps she has an ulterior motive we are not yet privy to

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe small small part of her didn't want two dead kids instead of just one

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I will be playing Final Fantasy XVI in English

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The dog is a direwolf

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Gonna be playing final fantasy xvi in a few days

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the part I least liked about the demo was how comically evil the queen is. Even in game of thrones when someone was super evil I at least felt like I understood their motivations, but not with her I was just sort of like whut.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

The dog is a direwolf

The dog is precious baby.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

The dog is a direwolf

Go away Huey

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I think the part I least liked about the demo was how comically evil the queen is. Even in game of thrones when someone was super evil I at least felt like I understood their motivations, but not with her I was just sort of like whut.

Yeah same tho I guess maybe we'll find all that stuff out later.

I don't have any huge magnificent expectations for the narrative in ff16, I'm just in it for a huge spectacle of it all and in that regard I don't think it will disappoint.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Almost certainly later on that’ll pay off as part of her cunning plan to ??? because otherwise it’s stupid as gently caress even for video games

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Ys8 main story done, sick final bosses and that ending certainly made me feel lachrymose. I've heard Ys9 was weaker but I still look forward to digging into that one.

fridge corn posted:

I don't have any huge magnificent expectations for the narrative in ff16, I'm just in it for a huge spectacle of it all and in that regard I don't think it will disappoint.

:hai:

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 16, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I for one am shocked the greedy nobleperson who wants power did something extremely greedy and selfish to consolidate and extend her power

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

ImpAtom posted:

FF16 stars Clive and a barker, is that good enough?

No actually

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If I got a PS5 from Play Asia I wouldn't have an issue with games but I wouldn't be able to watch any movies on disc, right?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blind Rasputin posted:

Unfortunately the remakes don’t stop there. Final Fantasy XVI is a remake of FFIII, but since it was only ever released in Japan nobody in the west can tell.

Unironically thought about this yesterday when I said "I thought about Final Fantasy XVI"

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If I got a PS5 from Play Asia I wouldn't have an issue with games but I wouldn't be able to watch any movies on disc, right?

Depends. 4k blu-ray is region free apparently, but everything else will be locked to whatever region the ps5 came from.

Edit: Apparently you can change the region 4 times and then it'll lock itself to whatever the last region you selected

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 16, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe small small part of her didn't want two dead kids instead of just one

Maybe, but if so it really goes against her 'mwahahah I'm so evil I'll kill everyone mwahaha' vibe that is so obvious that the moment she first entered the frame I pegged her as a villain.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Terper posted:

I for one am shocked the greedy nobleperson who wants power did something extremely greedy and selfish to consolidate and extend her power

It’s more the leave him alive so he can obviously come back for revenge someday thing that’s baffling people even though it’s almost certainly going to be a 5D chess move to save the world or some poo poo, as is tradition.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Morpheus posted:

Maybe, but if so it really goes against her 'mwahahah I'm so evil I'll kill everyone mwahaha' vibe that is so obvious that the moment she first entered the frame I pegged her as a villain.

After reading the encyclopedia entries or whatever they’re called I got a much different vibe, mainly because it seems every other character backstory is “Rosaria’s army turned their entire family and home into a smoldering crater, so they live here now!”

My gut tells me that that girl’s out for some revenge.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Dewgy posted:

After reading the encyclopedia entries or whatever they’re called I got a much different vibe, mainly because it seems every other character backstory is “Rosaria’s army turned their entire family and home into a smoldering crater, so they live here now!”

My gut tells me that that girl’s out for some revenge.

Hm t'were I a kingarchduke I would simply not marry that person.

But that does make more sense. I never read the lore stuff beyond the part where it was introduced, I kinda just forgot it was there.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Morpheus posted:

I think the thing that bugged me the most about the FF16 demo was that there was no reason the queen would let Clive live - it's far more likely she'd order him to be killed and then the commander would be like "actually you'd make a good soldier so bugger that"

Totally making this answer up but she says that Clive would be good "on the front lines" meaning she wants him to die in battle as front lines are the most likely to die. Just guessing here but I would assume that she wants him humiliated as he was supposed to protect the kid but failed. Rather than have him die valiantly protecting the kid he's sent to the front lines as punishment for failing to save him. It's more public humiliation alongside execution.

That's how I interpreted it but I'm assuming that I'll be way off base. It is odd in retrospect though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it just came off as weird because as a betrayal it just sort of felt out of nowhere with no buildup, from a character you barely know. The game could very well earn it over the course of it's run time, but as far as the demo was concerned I was sort of just like "uh, ok I guess that happened"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The fact that I care about this is at all int the first place is at least in part, why I am buying the game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

The fact that I care about this is at all int the first place is at least in part, why I am buying the game.

Hell, same. I think it could be interpreted as being edgy but to me it feels like FF hasn’t gone this hard with the story since Tactics, and I’m here for it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

this is funny because I stopped watching GoT because they started focusing way too much on the 'insane sociopaths for no reason' characters, the queen seemed pretty restrained next to the boltons, the incest rapist old man, joffrey, etc

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Morpheus posted:

To be fair, in Japanese she says, 'hold up, he's got the blessing of the Phoenix'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

To be fair, in Japanese she says, 'hold up, he's got the blessing of the Phoenix'.

Yeah, to make this a bit clearer
Just demo stuff
Clive's mom is incredibly focused on The Phoenix. She hates Clive because he didn't inherit it and loves Joshua because he did. With Joshua dead Clive us the only person with access to the Phoenix until a new Dominant is born.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I genuinely can't wait for the game to come out because the discussion around the story is going to be great

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I was thinking about skipping the demo for full impact on release day, but I guess I'll have to play it in order to read this thread for the next week :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

this is funny because I stopped watching GoT because they started focusing way too much on the 'insane sociopaths for no reason' characters, the queen seemed pretty restrained next to the boltons, the incest rapist old man, joffrey, etc

Yeah that's fair, but I think more than anything it has to do with those characters already being well established when the queen just goes from a normal character we see for about 30 seconds to kill my whole family, kill my servants too why not. Just kind of jarring. Its like joffrey if they didn't spend an entire season building up to what an rear end in a top hat psychopath he was