Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CLAM DOWN posted:

nice meltdown

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure they said that you grav drive between solar system, but the solar systems themselves you can fly about. I'm assuming if that's true they're going to cheat distances, as flying for 3hrs between planets would be pretty boring.

Also think you might be able to walk around your ship while it's floating around space, just because of the boarding stuff being a thing. Although who knows, like it's something the engine can obviously do, it's just if they coded it so you can.

I was assuming there would be some kind of elite/nms style second type of ftl for moving around between planets in a few minutes of flight instead of months, but since they didn't show that i worry that it's just the grav drive, that we are essentially fast travelling between points of interest, and only freely flying near those places.

we did only see the prompt to 'get up' when docked, but who knows hopefully we can park our spaceship elsewhere too.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Someone mod in some Boots of Blinding Speed.

dr_rat posted:

Exit button not not mentioned. That fucker todds going to make us force quit out of the game ever time isn't he!!!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are they going to add an "all the missiles" button?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Lol not much confidence in the game if they're just assuming ever quit is gonna be a rage quit!

Also some other great buttons on there. the "Capcom" and "insert" are nice touch, as well as the "rng". Always nice to see the artists having a bit of fun with the details.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

everyone arguing about whether you can fly in the atmosphere would be well served by referring to mages guild policy. levitation has been strictly forbidden since Oblivion and there's no chance it's coming back. no squirming out of it with a "vehicle" loophole either. the days of barbarism where anyone could simply fly anywhere at anytime are behind us for good, as it should be. an exception can be made to reach or descend orbit, but that's it.

also it should be obvious if they're using ~1km cells that you can't skim a ship along the ground, you'd be crossing cells every couple seconds and there's no way in hell the engine is gonna support that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bad Purchase posted:

everyone arguing about whether you can fly in the atmosphere would be well served by referring to mages guild policy. levitation has been strictly forbidden since Oblivion and there's no chance it's coming back. no squirming out of it with a "vehicle" loophole either. the days of barbarism where anyone could simply fly anywhere at anytime are behind us for good, as it should be. an exception can be made to reach or descend orbit, but that's it.

also it should be obvious if they're using ~1km cells that you can't skim a ship along the ground, you'd be crossing cells every couple seconds and there's no way in hell the engine is gonna support that.

YES. Exactly. Canonically, levitation was banned for the same reason drones are banned in HOAs: too many people floating up into people's windows and watching people make

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Ash1138 posted:

i kind of feel bad for todd there. contemplating how many more games he'll be able to ship before shuffling off this mortal coil probably wasn't on his agenda for the day

The next interviewer should show up in a hooded black robe and carrying a scythe and ask how long he's going to take to release Elder Scrolls 6.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I remember George R. R. Martin getting really pissed that people keep asking him if he thinks he'll finish game of thrones before he dies.

He never did answer.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
See that shallow grave? I'm one day closer to being there.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

next question, Todd, what is your succession plan? who is next in line to your empire?

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Also, where's smug leather jacket Todd?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

dr_rat posted:

Lol not much confidence in the game if they're just assuming ever quit is gonna be a rage quit!

Also some other great buttons on there. the "Capcom" and "insert" are nice touch, as well as the "rng". Always nice to see the artists having a bit of fun with the details.

I assume you’re joking, but

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-capcom

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gasman posted:

Also, where's smug leather jacket Todd?

Ever noticed smug leather jacket Todd, and T-shirt Todd are never in the same room at the same time?

Edit:
Yeah was assuming they were making a joke of capcom being a legit space thing and an arcade game company hence the Insert button near it. But yeah I could of been reading to much into that.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 16, 2023

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
You see that jacket over there? You can wear it.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm only wearing the Tunnel Snakes leather jacket.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
it's Wormhole Snakes now

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One thing I don't like about what we've seen from the previews is that it seems there are very limited equipment slots. Makes enough sense, of course. You've mostly got different space suits and whatever you got in your hands. But one of the key draws for beth games for me has been the upgrading and customizing of all the different gear slots you fill.

I hope there's still something involved there.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
all the customization moved to guns.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I think there's a movement in recent games to move towards fewer pieces of armor, since it's easier to balance the power of player equipment, keep gear sets simple, and keep better visual cohesion.

In Morrowind, you had 18 slots:

quote:

Shirt
Pant
Skirt
Amulet
Left Ring
Right Ring
Mail/Chest Plate
Greaves
Left Pauldron
Right Pauldron
Left Gauntlet/glove
Right Gauntlet/glove
Boots
Helmet
Belt
Robe
Weapon (one handed, or two handed with no shield, or bow+arrows in 2 hands)
Shield

In Oblivion, you had 10:

quote:

Head
Amulet
Chest
Hands
Left Ring
Right Ring
Legs
Boots
Weapon
Shield

In Skyrim, you had 9:

quote:

Head
Amulet
Body
Hands
Left Ring
Right Ring
Boots
Weapon
Shield

As someone with fond memories of stacking bullshit enchantments on everything and feeling like Superman in Morrowind, it's a sad change, even if I understand the reasons.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 16, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they should do it death stranding style where you can layer as many articles of clothing and armor as you want with stacking effects, but it becomes harder and harder to balance and avoid trips and slips

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I mean, isn't this game closer to Fallout than Elder Scrolls? Fallout games always had fewer armor options.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardboard Fox posted:

I mean, isn't this game closer to Fallout than Elder Scrolls? Fallout games always had fewer armor options.

For all intents and purposes this basically looks like Skyrim with guns

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Even Fallout 4 had a decent number of slots. Not much less than Skyrim.

Clothes, chest, L arm, R arm, L leg, R leg, head. Had some decent room to play around there.

I really liked the whole customization system in F4 as well.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yeah, bullets don't care what pauldrons you have. And you don't need ring and amulet slots when there's no magic but there's totally magic

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Even Fallout 4 had a decent number of slots. Not much less than Skyrim.

Clothes, chest, L arm, R arm, L leg, R leg, head. Had some decent room to play around there.

I really liked the whole customization system in F4 as well.

fallout 4 had it but each clothing item was a full set, even more than skyrim. Like there were no different shoe slots

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cardboard Fox posted:

I mean, isn't this game closer to Fallout than Elder Scrolls?

Pretty much, outposts are slightly different camps and the weapon mods are pretty much just exactly fallout 4's. Traits and backgrounds/skills seem a bit of a blend of a couple of games. Don't know if you could fairly say it was more one than the other as both franchises have had a bunch of different character creation stuff across their games and doesn't seem like they were particular basing it off anyone thing.

Even Fallout 4 had a decent number of slots.

If you include when you're wearing power amour it had a few as well.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 16, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wild that power armor counts as its own race in the game files.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i thought power armor was just a hat model

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bad Purchase posted:

i thought power armor was just a hat model

no that was the trains

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zore posted:

no that was the trains

It can be two things! I mean who owns just one hat. That's ridiculous.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So power armour is just a type of horse?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you could make the argument that power armor in fo4 is the same thing as a werewolf transformation in skyrim. You press E on the suit, an animation plays and the next moment you have control your character's stats etc all change. Either way, it absolutely ruled the way power armor functioned in Fallout 4.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah, I really dug the change to power armor in FO4 making it feel more like distinct mech gameplay instead of just the best armor. I actually rarely used power armor in FO1/2/3 because even though power armor was the best armor numerically it rarely fit my character concept and those games were never hard enough that I felt I needed to break character to maximize my effectiveness. In FO4 I eventually created a character completely around being a mech pilot and really enjoyed the stompy gameplay and mech maintenance stuff especially with mods to expand it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I rarely used power armour in F4 but I loved the implementation. I brought it out on special occasions like going through the glowing sea, or going after specific bosses that would warrant being a giant badass.

I typically aimed for fast or stealthy gameplay though which clashed with power armour.

Was needing power cores enough of a disadvantage in using them as your primary loadout, or were they plentiful enough they didn't matter?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I rarely used power armour in F4 but I loved the implementation. I brought it out on special occasions like going through the glowing sea, or going after specific bosses that would warrant being a giant badass.

I typically aimed for fast or stealthy gameplay though which clashed with power armour.

Was needing power cores enough of a disadvantage in using them as your primary loadout, or were they plentiful enough they didn't matter?

IIRC you could spec into it to the point where power cores weren't a big problem.

I preferred mods where power armor was more powerful and dangerous, being effectively bulletproof for both the player and for enemies; it required exercising restraint on using it tho.

Here's hoping there's enough of the power armor system left to get modded in.

Or a DLC for 'Extreme Hazard' planets where you need a power armor just to get around and coincidentally you also get to wrassle with dinosaurs

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
eventually you hoarded enough and the int 9 perks were all about increasing the FC efficiency. The vanilla power armor perk progressions were also implemented really well. If you started off as a stompy mech guy you could eventually get a jetpack for it as you were getting into the late game.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
i also liked just being able to jump off where ever in power Armour. Sure I could catch an elevator down from this tower, or I could fast travel away, but gently caress it I'm in power armour, I'll just jump.

Pain train was also one of the more fun skills to get as well. Always liked the when skills weren't just numbers go up, but actually changed what you could do in the game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah with enough perks the power cores weren't a big problem but it was loot I was always keeping an eye out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You need 14 slots