Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
eternal realm still gets all the new items, balance changes, paragon boards, etc. that seasons do

they don't get any of the seasonal mechanics or seasonal journey/battle pass rewards though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

they pretty clearly weren't planning to have any progress carry over into seasons until player feedback began rolling in during the open beta events given how confused they are over what is currently settled on, by season two it's probably a pretty safe bet they'll have all of the important bits from the renown grinds carry over

first year or so of live development is going to be unfucking a lot of stupid poo poo that was a result of the game being developed by mmo morons, like nightmare dungeons now getting a portal to them instead of having to run there as of season one

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

boredsatellite posted:

The gently caress does this mean for an non American cause it just sounds like you need to touch grass or something

In the film "I am Sam," Sean Penn portrays a mentally handicapped man who is trying to get legal custody of his daughter.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ah so its just a lovely person trying to be coy about using a slur got it

Cowardly I guess but that's how dog whistles go I guess

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

flashman posted:

I mean I'm not casual I'm severely. Addicted to this poo poo, but I'm not really seeing the allure of just having to restart my dude next time I'm home from work after like four weeks?

Is there any information on what I'd be missing? Like what's the hook for seasonal (if it's something other than the battle pass)

The hook for seasonal is generally that there's some new gimmick in there. In D2 it would be seasonal-only unique or rune words which would percolate to the core game later on. In D3 it was :catdrugs: crazy OP bullshit sets and weird gimmicks with the cube. Then you've also got stuff like seasonal ladders, people rushing to be the first to a level or the first to run a high level rift or whatever the deal is. For a lot of more casual but still pretty regular players like me, it was a pretty fun way to have an excuse to dive back in on a new character, get some more life out of the game, and get a dumb cheevo or cosmetic for your trouble. I did probably a dozen D3 seasons, and it was the sort of thing that I'd see a new one was coming up, get the game installed, play it a bunch for a couple of weeks, enjoy the crazy OP gimmick du jour, and then log off until the next season and the next opportunity to do something dumb.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

You don’t have to restart your dude ever if you don’t want, they just remain on the Eternal server and can’t participate in the season journey.

Ah so I can still. Play with my buds who are on the season or what have you? I just won't get rewards? (what's the season journey, the race to 100?)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

boredsatellite posted:

The gently caress does this mean for an non American cause it just sounds like you need to touch grass or something

It's a dumb "I'm not touching you" way to call someone mentally disabled. The reference is to a fairly famous movie about a person with mental disabilities.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

flashman posted:

Ah so I can still. Play with my buds who are on the season or what have you? I just won't get rewards? (what's the season journey, the race to 100?)

No. Season characters are effectively on a different server.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a dumb "I'm not touching you" way to call someone mentally disabled. The reference is to a fairly famous movie about a person with mental disabilities.

Yeah this. Ugh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

flashman posted:

No, you can’t interact with the players who are on the season server at all without a seasonal character. D2/D3 had very easy methods of powerleveling though so maybe this won’t be a big deal, but Team D4 sure loves the Integrity of slowass MMO leveling so maybe not!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I went through my first 100 hours of this game on WT1, but I completed the Cathedral of Light on WT2 to unlock WT3 and felt good about myself. Then I just did my first WT3 dungeon and felt even better about myself :getin: This poo poo is kinda fun! I think I'll do more like this.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Seasonal resets happen in a loot game generally because you run out stuff to do eventually

People like starting anew, speed running if that's your style or trying out a new build. Poe has new skills and content, the person above explained d3

It remains to be seen what d4 seasons will have but I wouldn't expect anything too interesting or drastic until like season 3

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
whats a sorc gotta do to get the friggin raiment to drop jfc

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Farm more

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

SettingSun posted:

No. Season characters are effectively on a different server.

drat seems strange thing to do a month after a game comes out lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tried switching to an Arc Lash build on my sorcerer (after previously using Frost Shards). My take-away so far is that this build completely destroys enemies when my Ult is up, but seems worse when it isn't.

I feel like it needs more stats (namely crit chance + cooldown reduction) that I don't have on my gear, since I'm frequently stuck just sitting there waiting for my mana to recharge while Arc Lash-ing thing.

In general it seems difficult to build those stats while leveling (though I'm almost to 50 now).

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I played a ton of D3 but never engaged with the seasons at all. I've held off making a Necro this time to try the whole seasonal thing and see what I think.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

boredsatellite posted:

It remains to be seen what d4 seasons will have but I wouldn't expect anything too interesting or drastic until like season 3

this was my exact thought on the timing

I'm very curious though, D4 team has been kinda dodging my expectations

I'm really wondering what they're going to do with the store given diablo immoral (and I guess wow tokens or something? dunno haven't touched that in years)

I'm hoping to see skill effects and goofy gameplay related effects ala PoEs supporter packs, which have probably the coolest mtx I've seen in any of the live service shitter games I do play

I'm expecting to see one new cosmetic set on the season pass and ten in the store

(also for anyone not keeping track of parent atvi shenanigans, Call of Duty starting selling a battlepass for the battlepass, with literal gold themeing so you can flaunt your wealth to the filthy poors as you shoot them and scream slurs)

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

victrix posted:

Call of Duty starting selling a battlepass for the battlepass, with literal gold themeing so you can flaunt your wealth to the filthy poors as you shoot them and scream slurs)

lmao of course they did

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Was there any talk about the horse being less poo poo? I am really annoyed at going from max speed to a dead stop because a pebble was in the way. I swear this guy is Roche's son or something.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

flashman posted:

It seems pretty obvious to me that season one just wasn't finished enough to launch it a week or two after release. However the ship date of june 6 was just unmovable after you consider all of the cross promotion and ad-buys they had set up in anticipation. Day one toons not being considered a part of the 1st season is my single biggest disappointment with the game.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I haven't really focused on grinding renown and I've got 5/5 in one zone and 4/5 in all the others. I explore the map, pick up quests and do new dungeons and strongholds whenever I find them and renown has taken care of itself. It feels like it comes very naturally by just playing the game and participating in all the core gameplay loops.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

flashman posted:

Yeah, it should have been at launch but they definitely have it "done" already. That's why the window is "mid to late July", because it's totally done! You know you can't give a definitive date when something is totally and definitely done. They're already working on season 2, pinky swear!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

A month is literal Forever Time in ARPG terminology, most D3 ladder resets crest after about two weeks and you wouldn’t want to have to play much longer than that, anyway. Seasonal play is about finding a new character or build you want to try and taking them through the game until you either accomplish your goals or get bored. They’re not meant to keep you on the treadmill forever, although now with the battlepass Blizzard will certainly try.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

development of large scale projects like this game isn't a strictly linear deal where everyone works on one portion right up until it's released then shift entirely to the next, etc

they're probably already working on season three in some capacity with loose plans going out even further, there's a long lead time on poo poo like writing and asset creation

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the best part of D4 seasons will be poe content creators trying to stretch out the view dollars for three months in a game wildly less complex, looking forward to detailed nightmare dungeon spreadsheet videos after 1000 runs in each

(side note, searching for D4 information is loving intolerable, but that's how internet searching has felt to me for a few years now so I guess that fits)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

A month is literal Forever Time in ARPG terminology, most D3 ladder resets crest after about two weeks and you wouldn’t want to have to play much longer than that, anyway. Seasonal play is about finding a new character or build you want to try and taking them through the game until you either accomplish your goals or get bored. They’re not meant to keep you on the treadmill forever, although now with the battlepass Blizzard will certainly try.

This isn't fast to level like d2 and d3 though

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

They're literally planning features and stuff for 2 expansions out.

With live service games you need to keep a buffer like this or it will all crash and burn (see Halo:Infinite and how it all came crumbling down because they couldn't keep up until now)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

flashman posted:

I agree, unless there’s something I’m missing it won’t really be possible to rush fresh seasonal players through to the endgame.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

flashman posted:

There will be XP bonuses in the free battle pass, NM dungeon XP is being increased, and World Tier 5 has been datamined which means it will come out soon and help the late XP curve as well.

edit: also it took long as hell to get to max level in D2 on a seasonal character.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

guys did you know you can pet the dogs

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Ojetor posted:

doubtful since the aspect inventory slots are even more limited than stash space

You can put aspects in stash, but then that doesn't solve the initial issue lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They should have called them rear end Pics with how quickly they are filling up all my storage space!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ehud posted:

There will be XP bonuses in the free battle pass, NM dungeon XP is being increased, and World Tier 5 has been datamined which means it will come out soon and help the late XP curve as well.

edit: also it took long as hell to get to max level in D2 on a seasonal character.

Yeah no one was 99 fast sure but your build opened up around 70 which was just a day

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The limited stash space is to force you to make choices I assume

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If it doesn’t bring you joy get rid of it

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

HopperUK posted:

Enough of that poo poo.

e: the thread's been needlessly combative and lovely. Stop please. Post more kindly about the loot game.

arpg threads belong in quarantine and should be studied

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

fwiw you actually can powerlevel in D4, it's just a bit slower than D3. Well, you can't powerlevel to max but you can at least get carried to WT4 or level 50 or wherever is a natural stopping point.

Go to WT2, have a friend run you through the level 50 capstone dungeon. Go to WT3, have the friend run you through the level 70 capstone dungeon. Switch to WT4 and you can leech exp at the beginning of whatever dungeon you're running.

You probably can't really use this on the first weekend of a season or whatever because most people will be racing to level their first character but you can do it after.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

euphronius posted:

The limited stash space is to force you to make choices I assume

what are you guys even saving

- gems, ok whatever, probably don't need
- aspects, aside from a few perfect rolls, don't most of these roll at higher stat ranges so you don't want to use low level aspects on high level gear?
- legendaries, trash them for mats already
- sigils, break that poo poo down
- potions, maybe drink a few

aside from an alternate gear set for another build what is eating up all your space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t have one stash filled

But some people are hoarders (no judgment )