Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

You better go catch it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
come over to this place after a decade plus on lue/eti

kind of making me miss eti

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Crystal Thenis posted:

come over to this place after a decade plus on lue/eti

kind of making me miss eti

Getting banned from luelinks is genuinely one of the best things to ever happen to me

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin

You better go catch it!!

:rimshot:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bass.exe posted:

So Elon Musk directly inspired all this.
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1669800835843235845

Open rebellion by moderators before more is done to the sites infrastructure is looking like a better and better decision already. Look at the hive of TERFs and nazis twitter has become with so little moderation.

This whole thing just became a lot more hilarious if the CEO of reddit predicated all of this upon the false metrics Elon bragged about

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Getting banned from luelinks is genuinely one of the best things to ever happen to me

coming here actually felt super positive compared to kiffe and eti

and then the same moderator who suspended me for 3 days for saying a woman looked foxy is now trolling me with impersonation topics and getting users to say I’m another person.

wherever you go it’s the same story. why is the ruling class so f**king s**t

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This whole thing just became a lot more hilarious if the CEO of reddit predicated all of this upon the false metrics Elon bragged about

It makes me so upset that the mega rich are some of the dumbest mother fuckers on earth

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

greatBigJerk posted:

I think it's like 50% or so of subs that originally went private have either stayed private or have gone restricted.

50% scab rate is pretty bad

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bass.exe posted:

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1669800835843235845

Open rebellion by moderators before more is done to the sites infrastructure is looking like a better and better decision already. Look at the hive of TERFs and nazis twitter has become with so little moderation.

This is hilarious to me because at any given time on /r/all 10% of the posts are redditors dunking on Musk. spez is out of touch with his userbase in every possible way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Crystal Thenis posted:

coming here actually felt super positive compared to kiffe and eti

and then the same moderator who suspended me for 3 days for saying a woman looked foxy is now trolling me with impersonation topics and getting users to say I’m another person.

wherever you go it’s the same story. why is the ruling class so f**king s**t

Maybe you are the problem

lol you literally got probed again as I was writing this. wrecked

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

Crystal Thenis posted:

i bought a Something Awful account on Mar 23, 2023

condolences on your mental illness

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

honestly reddit killing itself has been the only real entertainment I've gotten from reddit

My theory is that July is the beginning of FY24 and Advance Pub/Conde Nast told Huffman he's fired if he doesn't turn it around and actually turn a profit, which is why it seems like he's acting irrational. In reality he's totally rational, it's just everyone forgetting that tech CEOs aren't where they are because they're talented, it's because they make (or steal) a lovely web app and lie to investors about it long enough to get lucky once.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

and now Steve Huffman is taking the Brett Kavanaugh approach to PR

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

he hasn't said "i like beer" once though??

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

The Verge: We see companies like Google or Apple giving, you know, three months, six months, a year for these sorts of deadlines.

Steve Huffman: *pulls out calendar*

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bass.exe posted:

This makes so much sense, and was also exactly what I (as a tech worker) was worried about when Musk took over Twitter. Twitter was obviously going to implode eventually under Musk, but if it didn't do it fast enough, other tech companies' management might decide that they don't need their workers either. I wouldn't be surprised if Musk was semi-directly responsible for the current tech-industy-wide layoffs and chaos.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

VikingofRock posted:

This makes so much sense, and was also exactly what I (as a tech worker) was worried about when Musk took over Twitter. Twitter was obviously going to implode eventually under Musk, but if it didn't do it fast enough, other tech companies' management might decide that they don't need their workers either. I wouldn't be surprised if Musk was semi-directly responsible for the current tech-industy-wide layoffs and chaos.

he is

I felt echoes of it, other people I know felt it in more traditional tech jobs, wannabe silicon valley CEOs saw early Musk bullshit and latched on and committed and it worked for them like it worked for him lol

just bizarre pointless directives, people who obviously don't know technology learning key buzzwords, inviting themselves to tech decision making and demanding Thing X and Y

but guess how many drove teslas before, and probably still do (if not for the marred public image, but since when are tech CEOs self aware)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
like make no mistake, the rich piece of poo poo driving the Model X in Seattle making $400k a year legitimately believes Elon Musk is a genius, and the people who hired him are too stupid about technology to know otherwise

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

he is

I felt echoes of it, other people I know felt it in more traditional tech jobs, wannabe silicon valley CEOs saw early Musk bullshit and latched on and committed and it worked for them like it worked for him lol

just bizarre pointless directives, people who obviously don't know technology learning key buzzwords, inviting themselves to tech decision making and demanding Thing X and Y

but guess how many drove teslas before, and probably still do (if not for the marred public image, but since when are tech CEOs self aware)

absolutely, lol.

work got dumb as poo poo as soon as twitter didn't totally implode. the groupthink and cargo culting in this industry is insane.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

So he's trying to pull a Musk and screw with a community in order to give off the impression he has any sort of clue about what he's doing. Super.

quote:

i bought a Something Awful account on Mar 23, 2023

Gone Fission posted:

condolences on your mental illness
Hah, gottem

WAIT

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Lick Joe posted:

There's also Tildes.net which seems promising since it's invite only and modded a bit more closely, but also the userbase seems pretty small at the moment. I've got a couple invites if anyone wants to check it out though.

I am also enjoying Tildes better than Lemmy. Its UI is more pleasant, the way it is setup, ran, and the day to day experience is basically a more mature and stable Beehaw.org on Lemmy. I find myself going to Tildes and SA the most each day for my chit chat and conversation.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Queer Grenadier posted:

I am also enjoying Tildes better than Lemmy. Its UI is more pleasant, the way it is setup, ran, and the day to day experience is basically a more mature and stable Beehaw.org on Lemmy. I find myself going to Tildes and SA the most each day for my chit chat and conversation.

I was never much of a Reddit user, but I do find myself using SA more these days then I have in like a decade.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Code Jockey posted:

he is

he might be first out the gate, but industries will always automate when it's cheaper than employing humans to do the work. it wasn't ford or musk or whoever that was responsible for the trend, they did it first, but market pressures are the cause.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

greatBigJerk posted:

What did happen to GBS? I do vaguely remember it changing all of a sudden.

ahhh, halloween 2013 or 2014. the birth of gbs 2.0 from the viscera of mods knew

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Voice of Labor posted:

he might be first out the gate, but industries will always automate when it's cheaper than employing humans to do the work. it wasn't ford or musk or whoever that was responsible for the trend, they did it first, but market pressures are the cause.

oh okay thanks

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I feel like I really enjoyed the old gbs, and then reddit kinda replaced it. It's been a long time tho, but the timeline adds up

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ahhh, halloween 2013 or 2014. the birth of gbs 2.0 from the viscera of mods knew

I think it was 2011 or 2012? I’m too lazy to verify. I kinda enjoyed the death of old GBS. It wasn’t that fun to post in, much less read unless you were really into current events/news

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

buglord posted:

unless you were really into current events/news

:(

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Taima posted:

1980s water beds but with pork fat instead of water

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

cheer up. you've got d'n'd and cspam depending on whether you prefer fascism or social fascism

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

buglord posted:

I think it was 2011 or 2012? I’m too lazy to verify. I kinda enjoyed the death of old GBS. It wasn’t that fun to post in, much less read unless you were really into current events/news

you'd get probed for a grammatical mistake, gently caress that gbs

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i sleep on a 1980s water bed but with cum instead of water.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

cheer up. you've got d'n'd and cspam depending on whether you prefer fascism or social fascism

I'm a anarchist and actively call out my city and police department publicly, while doing active mutual aid efforts. Where do I fit?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Code Jockey posted:

oh okay thanks

you're welcome. not to pick on you too much for it, but great men of history is a faulty perspective to analyze things from, even if it has the benefit of demonizing musk for being a ridiculous idiot. laying a bunch of people off isn't a new idea, laying a bunch of people off in the tech sector isn't a new idea either, there was a lot of that when the .com bubble burst.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

feverish and oversexed posted:

I'm a anarchist and actively call out my city and police department publicly, while doing active mutual aid efforts. Where do I fit?

believe it or not, tfr

but there's not much news there

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

you're welcome. not to pick on you too much for it, but great men of history is a faulty perspective to analyze things from, even if it has the benefit of demonizing musk for being a ridiculous idiot. laying a bunch of people off isn't a new idea, laying a bunch of people off in the tech sector isn't a new idea either, there was a lot of that when the .com bubble burst.

Code Jockey posted:

oh okay thanks

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

believe it or not, tfr

but there's not much news there

Rip I guess I'll go pass out more water and record cops vs doom scroll

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
We need to rename General Bullshit to r/GeneralBullshit to attract more users while the gettin's hot

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

pointless. after the dust settles, reddit will install the first a.i. ceo. in the ensuing technological singularity all websites will be reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Trap sprung, nerd