Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

maltesh posted:

I suppose the preparation make a difference, but, isn't "winged" the default for beetles?
I assume some species don't have wings as adults. I don't know enough about insects to name any off the top of my head other than the common house cockroach, maybe? Or are roaches not a beetle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I assume some species don't have wings as adults. I don't know enough about insects to name any off the top of my head other than the common house cockroach, maybe? Or are roaches not a beetle?

Nah they're more related to termites. Most have wings. But it's Holbrook, we can't expect him to know poo poo when it's Animal Has Trait!!!!1!!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If you have to constantly deescalate your partner from accusations of cheating, probably find a new partner.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Green Intern posted:

If you have to constantly deescalate your partner from accusations of cheating, probably find a new partner.
Yeah, seriously this is toxic as hell.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cowslips Warren posted:

But it's Holbrook, we can't expect him to know poo poo when it's Animal Has Trait!!!!1!!

Speaking of which:

manero posted:

Pluggers

But he's a dog, and his face is still covered with fur, how could he possibly have been shaving? :psyduck:

I guess Species Having Trait is also sometimes lost upon... um... who writes this strip anyway? Can't read the signature.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

I appreciate the very subtle "keyboard and mouse" visual pun.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Impressive two-tone line work

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 9, 1935)

Peanuts (June 18, 1976)

Crankshaft celebrates the eternal retreat from the future!

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 19, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 26-28, 1942)

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

davidspackage posted:

Jesus Christ, who is this public masturbation for?

They thing I find most frustrating about this strip is that I'm almost certain this strip has made this exact joke, with the exact same characters in the exact same position before, if not multiple times then at least once before. I don't know how Intelligent Life does it, but it somehow manages to be the most boring comic strip around despite only running 3 times a week and existing in the same universe as Garfield. It baffles me that anyone could possibly be reading this actively enough that he author/artist feels the need to keep going, because he certainly doesn't give a poo poo so I know it can't be because he wants to. Just the worst.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The thing I don't get is why they even made Stef as "Tiffany-but-back-when-she-was-in-high-school" if Team Evans still insists on punishing Tiffany all the time.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 13, 1957)

Okay, and this plan would save the other stable guys from a whipping, right Val? Right???

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm here to see Copper Ma mentally broken, sitting in a wheelchair as an old man and raving at his nurse that Planck Oh is done for this time, just you wait and see.

Jucika "82 - Jucika's Sweetheart"

"83 - Jucika In The Circus."

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "82 - Jucika's Sweetheart"

well that's topical

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Did not expect the systematic destruction of Copper Ma's hubris to take center stage like this, but I'm loving it. He's just going to volunteer his wife and child to Planck after it's all over.

And he, in turn, will be forced to date the 2nd Place Sister until he is able to beat Planck at baseball again.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

OneMoreTime posted:

They thing I find most frustrating about this strip is that I'm almost certain this strip has made this exact joke, with the exact same characters in the exact same position before, if not multiple times then at least once before.
No almost about it. Monday's joke was exactly copied from 2017.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pinterest Mom posted:

35th?? When's the last time Boyce stepped foot in New York?

Boyce is based out of Chicago so my guess he's talking about the south side? (I have never been to Chicago or NYC.)

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

Throwaway panel in a Dick Tracey strip that says "Be on the alert for terrorists." This was the Dubya-era FBI's only counter-terror idea after the color-coded alert system. (Also that final panel, dear God.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, seriously this is toxic as hell.

yeah there are a ton of bad relationships in luann but this is the absolute bottom of the barrel

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Love to get all sweaty while listening to my how my rival coach's team is doing on the radio, and then swear vengeance to a large poster of him on the wall.

Seriously, what did Gil Thorp even do to this guy to make him go all Demons of Baseball?

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

:sickos:

I'm guessing the Cowboys' plan is to hold back when dealing with the other players while only playing full force against Copper Ma to make him look like an absolute chump?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

What else is the government hiding from us…

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I absolutely love that the Demons had a staff meet about how to drag Copper through the mud.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

It can't happen because you can see the ball in the pitcher's hand, but the way the first baseman's standing in the last panel (is that Planck, by the way?) it would be absolutely goddamn hilarious if they were pulling the hidden ball trick & slapped a tag down as soon as Copper takes a step off the bag.

For the non baseball fans - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzloezfHR-U

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

This joke doesn't work very well in Finnish, imo - the wording is approximately "koirat alkavat tehdä koronavirustestejä", i.e. "dogs will start doing coronavirus tests", and reading that as "dogs will start to be used for detecting coronavirus", which I assume is the intended double-meaning, doesn't work very gracefully unless I'm missing something.

ANSU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

amigolupus posted:

Love to get all sweaty while listening to my how my rival coach's team is doing on the radio, and then swear vengeance to a large poster of him on the wall.

Seriously, what did Gil Thorp even do to this guy to make him go all Demons of Baseball?

coach luke martinez hates gil thorp's guts more than anything else in the world because gil is just a good sport who recognizes that these games are, ultimately, games, and not worth getting worked up over

and since luke's apparent only source of self-esteem is from his athletics career he cannot fathom anything but fawning obeisance when he 'proves' how much better he is, and so gil being like 'hey man nice job beating us see ya next year' is a tremendously vile insult

keep in mind also that milford high school (where gil thorp coaches) just had its athletics department budget slashed because of all these losses to coach martinez because they are now 'underperforming' - so there is also a compare and contrast going on as presumably valley tech (martinez' school) is getting the money thorp used to get (which would explain how they could poach a high schooler on the other side of the planet) which is just going to exacerbate the situation

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I really enjoy how their entire strategy appears to be "Take every opportunity to gently caress with Copper Ma."

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

The end! The swerve from gag-a-day into narrative for book 3 (basically when Lulu Yeah was formed) changed the tenor of the comic a bit, but taken as a whole, I think that “introducing a plot and ending it more or less neatly” works better than “endlessly milking a rather thin gag-a-day premise”. Thanks for reading!

Bardiche Hotel

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Gill Thorpe got a new writer but kept the artist right? I appreciate the stiff functional art absolutely refusing to change for a new goofier story. At least, I think it's unusually goofy for Gil to have a nemesis, I never followed it much.
Reminds me of the end days of Apartment 3G where the pensionable artist was unable to follow along with the writer, so you had a scene being introduced as happening in a street when the clip art was Margo on a setee.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
It's over? Aww, gonna miss Cthu-pin!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

ellie the beep posted:

coach luke martinez hates gil thorp's guts more than anything else in the world because gil is just a good sport who recognizes that these games are, ultimately, games, and not worth getting worked up over

and since luke's apparent only source of self-esteem is from his athletics career he cannot fathom anything but fawning obeisance when he 'proves' how much better he is, and so gil being like 'hey man nice job beating us see ya next year' is a tremendously vile insult

keep in mind also that milford high school (where gil thorp coaches) just had its athletics department budget slashed because of all these losses to coach martinez because they are now 'underperforming' - so there is also a compare and contrast going on as presumably valley tech (martinez' school) is getting the money thorp used to get (which would explain how they could poach a high schooler on the other side of the planet) which is just going to exacerbate the situation

This is all true, but Martinez' unhealthy obsession with beating Coach Thorp starts even before this.

Here is his first appearance, as far as I can tell:

The bartender tells Martinez to shut the gently caress up before Gil has a chance to accept or decline, so this deal is not legally binding.

Martinez shows up here and there to be a douche to Gil for a little while after that. Nothing major. I am including this one only for PLOOP:

But eventually, we get down to business on the backstory of why Martinez hates Gil. And it involves a flashback back to when Martinez was in high school.

Those two strips are all you get of that for a little while, but then Gil pulls out the old VHS tapes:

And that really is it. Martinez beat Gil's team back in the 80's, but the paper still put more attention on how cool Thorp was than on VT's big win.

A subtle detail that is completely lost thanks to the pacing of newspaper comics is that in Martinez' flashback we see his coach at the time dressed like it's the 40's or some poo poo, but then you get to Gil's VHS and we see that, no, it was the 80's and people dressed appropriate to the time. Martinez just remembers it that way. That's how I choose to interpret that one-panel flashback anyway.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 16, 2023

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
lol okay that rules that Coach Thorp is happy in his life and teaching the new generation but the badguy of the strip peaked in High School, Winkerbean-style.

e:

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

This joke doesn't work very well in Finnish, imo - the wording is approximately "koirat alkavat tehdä koronavirustestejä", i.e. "dogs will start doing coronavirus tests", and reading that as "dogs will start to be used for detecting coronavirus", which I assume is the intended double-meaning, doesn't work very gracefully unless I'm missing something.

ANSU

"We've trained dogs to detect Coronavirus" maybe?

LvK fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 16, 2023

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ryde posted:

I really enjoy how their entire strategy appears to be "Take every opportunity to gently caress with Copper Ma."

You're right, look at that smug expression on the fielder first baseman.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/3/50

Archie 7/28-30/47

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Thanks for your work with this! I had a lot of laughs following along with it, and I wouldn't even have heard about it without you.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yes thank you for posting, as with all good things that know how to wrap up at a good pace the hardest part is saying goodbye. Cthulu and Girl was great!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

I for one am looking forward to Sofa School.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Those thought bubbles are really getting on my nerves.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Murdstone posted:

I for one am looking forward to Sofa School.

I've heard extremely mixed reports of the Sofa King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

lmfao is Phantom about to botch the prophecy again because he ignored Savarna for a few minutes too long, or did he predict it and let her go? His dialogue implies as much but Savarna is the best chaos elemental.