Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Shredder posted:

what are you guys even saving

- gems, ok whatever, probably don't need
- aspects, aside from a few perfect rolls, don't most of these roll at higher stat ranges so you don't want to use low level aspects on high level gear?
- legendaries, trash them for mats already
- sigils, break that poo poo down
- potions, maybe drink a few

aside from an alternate gear set for another build what is eating up all your space

I think it really falls apart if you have more than one character. I think it's dumb we only have 4 tabs, but I haven't actually run out of room in any meaningful way. It's a loving organizational mess though and I'd rather just have separate tabs for different builds etc. so I don't have to just pile it all into the same tabs because there's no room to organize, and then once it's all in the same tabs there's no way to search so I have to just mouse over everything until I find whatever I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Clocks posted:

fwiw you actually can powerlevel in D4, it's just a bit slower than D3. Well, you can't powerlevel to max but you can at least get carried to WT4 or level 50 or wherever is a natural stopping point.

Go to WT2, have a friend run you through the level 50 capstone dungeon. Go to WT3, have the friend run you through the level 70 capstone dungeon. Switch to WT4 and you can leech exp at the beginning of whatever dungeon you're running.

You probably can't really use this on the first weekend of a season or whatever because most people will be racing to level their first character but you can do it after.

Now this is some good info! I figured there was a level req

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Ehud posted:

There will be XP bonuses in the free battle pass, NM dungeon XP is being increased, and World Tier 5 has been datamined which means it will come out soon and help the late XP curve as well.

edit: also it took long as hell to get to max level in D2 on a seasonal character.

I don't think WT5 is coming soon, it sounds like it got cut to make launch. Last year the devs were all talking about '5 difficulty levels' but in the run up to launch they only ever mention 4 tiers.

I'm sure it will get added at some point, since a lot of it seems done like gem ranks, but I'd bet season 3 at least

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

They do seem to be listening to the community, and yeah changes are going to take awhile but IDK anyone who thought this game would even be in a playable/fun state at launch. Most people I know were generally in the camp of "I'll let them fix everything the first year or two and then come in when its fun". Then it turns out its a blast from 0-60 and just pretty good afterwards (imo, some people love the end game stuff already).

My general idea for ARPGs has been that everyone jumps on the first 2-6 weeks and then when they've filled their gambling quota hop off until the next season.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

M. Night Skymall posted:

I think it really falls apart if you have more than one character. I think it's dumb we only have 4 tabs, but I haven't actually run out of room in any meaningful way. It's a loving organizational mess though and I'd rather just have separate tabs for different builds etc. so I don't have to just pile it all into the same tabs because there's no room to organize, and then once it's all in the same tabs there's no way to search so I have to just mouse over everything until I find whatever I want.

yeah I can see it falling apart when sets come out, I hoarded that poo poo in d3, and all those rift gems. plus with the book slots you never knew what unique you'd need so I saved all those too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

faantastic posted:

My general idea for ARPGs has been that everyone jumps on the first 2-6 weeks and then when they've filled their gambling quota hop off until the next season.

Yeah

It seems like blizzard wants people on for way longer than that though

I guess we will see

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

Yeah

It seems like blizzard wants people on for way longer than that though

I guess we will see

They'll like those 2-6 week seasonal people if they buy battle passes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What do you guys think will contribute to the battle pass? Exp earned? A separate currency you earn when you finish content?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There will probably be daily/weekly tasks like "do x amount of dungeons/get mastery on x events'

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SettingSun posted:

What do you guys think will contribute to the battle pass? Exp earned? A separate currency you earn when you finish content?

I'd guess either battle pass points you earn doing content or journeys like D3.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

SettingSun posted:

I dunno. A lot of F2P battle passes have all kinds of stuff. Everything from doing specific types of content, killing x specific enemies, leveling up a character, enchanting or salvaging an item, etc. I'd be kind of shocked if it's just straight "earn XP" related.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

They've said as much, yeah. There will be a journey-like list of tasks that refresh to give battlepass progression
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23952500/what-you-can-expect-from-diablo-iv-s-post-launch-experiences

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

exquisite tea posted:

A month is literal Forever Time in ARPG terminology, most D3 ladder resets crest after about two weeks and you wouldn’t want to have to play much longer than that, anyway. Seasonal play is about finding a new character or build you want to try and taking them through the game until you either accomplish your goals or get bored. They’re not meant to keep you on the treadmill forever, although now with the battlepass Blizzard will certainly try.

haven't seen it remarked on all that much but the actual timeline of progress for d4 characters is really, really, really slow relative to every other arpg (and especially relative to d1/d2/d3). seems like most players are level 50-70, and maybe up to WT3?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Substandard posted:

But you won't have the "do this dungeon quests", because you would have to go manually pick them all up, and a decent number of them are at the end of quest chains.

It's way less bad if you don't skip the campaign because you naturally go to areas to pick up and do sidequests as you go, but if you skip the campaign it definitely sucks having to go track down and do the quests. Particularly since you start with the tree unlocked and that gives much better XP / rewards.

It's better than nothing though.

I feel like I'm missing something. You start the season at level 1, if you skip the campaign, what content do you expect to be doing besides running through the dungeons and doing some quests? You'll have to do like 50 or so quests in total so having to pick up some quick ones doesn't seem like your biggest problem? Presumably there will be a guide with the quickest quests to pick up. The entire map and all waypoints will be unlocked automatically so it'll be easy to get everywhere you need to.

Say I didn't have to do all these dungeons and quests and just had 100% renown from the start. I'm level 1, what am I going to do?

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 16, 2023

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Chalks posted:

I feel like I'm missing something. You start the season at level 1, if you skip the campaign, what content do you expect to be doing besides running through the dungeons and doing some quests? You'll have to do like 50 or so quests in total so having to pick up quests doesn't seem like your biggest problem? Presumably there will be a guide with the quickest quests to pick up. The entire map and all waypoints will be unlocked automatically so it'll be easy to get everywhere you need to.

Say I didn't have to do all these dungeons and quests and just had 100% renown from the start. I'm level 1, what am I going to do?

tree poo poo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CBD Corndog posted:

They've said as much, yeah. There will be a journey-like list of tasks that refresh to give battlepass progression
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23952500/what-you-can-expect-from-diablo-iv-s-post-launch-experiences

Yeah those are exactly D3 seasonal journey tasks which is cool because they fit so well with the seasonal model.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

https://youtube.com/shorts/XZKRTJpHsio

The entire thread, me included, tbh.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Chalks posted:

I feel like I'm missing something. You start the season at level 1, if you skip the campaign, what content do you expect to be doing besides running through the dungeons and doing some quests? You'll have to do like 50 or so quests in total so having to pick up quests doesn't seem like your biggest problem? Presumably there will be a guide with the quickest quests to pick up. The entire map and all waypoints will be unlocked automatically so it'll be easy to get everywhere you need to.

I just did random tree dungeons and objectives on my rogue. The gear you get from the tree is great while you are leveling.

My issue with doing the side quests again is that they are absolutely terrible in terms of both rewards and XP and generally involve running all over the map not killing anything. Which is not that bad once to explore more of the map, etc. but it's a huge waste of time to do on a second character. I'll do it if I have to, but it just seems like a pure time suck to me.

You also can't tell what the quest is without picking it up as far as I know, so I guess I can go look at a guide to figure out which blue question marks on the map lead to dungeon quests and run all over getting them and doing the pre-requisites, but I'd rather be running dungeons and whatnot.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 16, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Astryl posted:

https://youtube.com/shorts/XZKRTJpHsio

The entire thread, me included, tbh.

lol

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

haven't seen it remarked on all that much but the actual timeline of progress for d4 characters is really, really, really slow relative to every other arpg (and especially relative to d1/d2/d3). seems like most players are level 50-70, and maybe up to WT3?

Blizzard said that the "vast majority" of players haven't even completed the campaign.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The vast majority of players are, and it pains me to say this, total scrubs. Even your friends and loved ones.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

exquisite tea posted:

The vast majority of players are, and it pains me to say this, total scrubs. Even your friends and loved ones.

I mean, there's also the giant portion of gamers who buy poo poo and never even play it or play it for less than a couple of hours.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't play a ton of ARPGs so out of curiosity: once seasons start up, are people likely to still play non-seasonal characters, or will most people move on to doing seasonal stuff going forward?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Harrow posted:

I don't play a ton of ARPGs so out of curiosity: once seasons start up, are people likely to still play non-seasonal characters, or will most people move on to doing seasonal stuff going forward?

Almost literally everyone will play seasons exclusively.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

WarEternal posted:

Blizzard said that the "vast majority" of players haven't even completed the campaign.

and never will

it's a useless metric

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Cool, that's what I thought. Kinda freeing not being attached to any given character long-term like in an MMO.

I assume the point of an eternal realm character is just to finish the campaign and map exploration so it'll carry over to seasonal characters?

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
I definitely agree with the folks that dislike having to do side quests for renown. Guess how I figured out that you need at least 17 side quests for Dry Steppes? The off-by-5 is devastating lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ARPG characters are meant to be more disposable than what you’d find in an MMO. Once seasons started rolling in D3 I didn’t even bother to look at my stash in between resets.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wheeee posted:

and never will

it's a useless metric

There’s a lot of games where 40% of people don’t even get whatever the first achievement is. I wouldn’t take the metric seriously, either.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

progression is slow enough in this that I think a non-trivial amount of the playerbase will just keep playing their existing characters.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

i like running around exploring the map and doing all the side quests

once

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SettingSun posted:

Mustached Demon posted:

They already said it was season journey like D3. They showed some examples and they are things like "Hit level 10/20/30/40/50" and "Unlock World Tier 2/3/4."

It's all stuff you would naturally get while playing and then the final tier is hitting high level NM dungeons and Uber Lilith.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 16, 2023

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Herstory Begins Now posted:

progression is slow enough in this that I think a non-trivial amount of the playerbase will just keep playing their existing characters.

I think that will happen for season 1 because the game just came out but I would be surprised if it lasts much longer than that. The dad gamers will finish the campaign in a few months and then never login again

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

there are psychos who play non-season diablo 3 to this day

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm pretty pumped for seasons tbh. I get an excuse to try a new class AND I'll have several new sets of little boxes to check to get horse armor or whatever other little reward pellets they're gonna feed me? Sign me up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just so I'm clear on what carries over: it sounds like I should focus on finishing the campaign and completing the map on at least one character before the season starts? Then I'll be able to skip the campaign on seasonal characters and have the map/Lilith altars unlocked already?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gone Fashing posted:

I think that will happen for season 1 because the game just came out but I would be surprised if it lasts much longer than that. The dad gamers will finish the campaign in a few months and then never login again

As a dad gamer, I will never touch eternal mode unless there's some sweet cosmetic there.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
gently caress it all to the ground. Been a rough work week, I bought the ultimate edition. Installing as we speak. Now time to study what char and build I want to invest time in.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Harrow posted:

Just so I'm clear on what carries over: it sounds like I should focus on finishing the campaign and completing the map on at least one character before the season starts? Then I'll be able to skip the campaign on seasonal characters and have the map/Lilith altars unlocked already?

Yes. Clear the map, finish the campaign, and get lillith alters.

Those are the three major things that will carry over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

exquisite tea posted:

ARPG characters are meant to be more disposable than what you’d find in an MMO. Once seasons started rolling in D3 I didn’t even bother to look at my stash in between resets.

Same, but it's hard to say if I will do the same here since the renown grind looks like it sucks and battlepasses being tied to the season is already depressing. Guess I will see how I feel when/if I can be assed to do the renown grind now before the season even starts.