Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
From what ive read in this thread so far im now worried that im just a poorly trained LLM since all i do at work is avoid making the same mistakes ive already made and also reuse old solutions to new problems.

poo poo.

Am I the dumb poo poo my work does ?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

From what ive read in this thread so far im now worried that im just a poorly trained LLM since all i do at work is avoid making the same mistakes ive already made and also reuse old solutions to new problems.

poo poo.

Am I the dumb poo poo my work does ?!?

Try making up your own sources and see what happens.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Like anyone has a cube by 2050.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Computer viking posted:

The interesting part isn't that it is doable - unit converting calculators have been around for ages - but that a network trained on random text from the internet somehow has encoded enough information about maths and units to get it right. I wouldn't have been surprised if it just returned "text that sounds like it could be the answer to that sort of question" instead of the right number.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. I'm tired of people who think Chatgpt is the greatest thing ever, and I'm tired of people saying it has no utility. Sometimes the truth really is in the middle.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jen heir rick posted:

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. I'm tired of people who think Chatgpt is the greatest thing ever, and I'm tired of people saying it has no utility. Sometimes the truth really is in the middle.

AI centrist

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Jen heir rick posted:

Yeah, right now there's this kind of gold rush appeal to GPT. Once the sheen wears off you're left with, what is in my estimation, a pretty powerful tool. People right now are treating it like either magic or a world ending technology, however, being able to interact with data in a natural language kind of way is actually pretty neat as well.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, right now there's this kind of gold rush appeal to GPT. Once the sheen wears off you're left with, what is in my estimation, a pretty powerful tool. People right now are treating it like either magic or a world ending technology, however, being able to interact with data in a natural language kind of way is actually pretty neat as well.

It's like going from flat file to a relational database (SQL). It's an upgrade but it needs to be engineers for the use case and right now everyone is working with the first settings that had good results as no one fully understands how the blackbox works.

You know what SolidGoldMagicKarp was a great bug and the dive into it should give you an idea of how they work https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/aPeJE8bSo6rAFoLqg/solidgoldmagikarp-plus-prompt-generation (There's multiple phases one of them had some reddit usernames like SolidGoldMagickarp as being common enough to get their own token, but then that data was deemed low quality and stripped from the training data at some point so the tokens are entirely blank giving insane answers, I think the fix was disabling the tokens)

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Orvin posted:

It probably wasn’t as bad as your event, but that brings back memories of High School Freshman Biology. The teacher would have a lab using fruit flies for the brief genetics chapter. And inevitably some would get loose, so there would be a bunch of fruit flys in and around the biology classroom/lab for a week or two following that lab.

My husband, who graduated from high school in 1990, tells the story of his high school chem teacher who was trying to clear out the chem closet and disposing of some gunpowder...

The class was taking their final exam, and the teacher was dropping little bits of it into a burner to make it go poof and get rid of it at the same time. A mindless (stupid) thing to do while he kept an eye on the kids. Until the utensil apparently had a bit of a spark on it when he put it back into the jar. Cue explosion and the school getting overrun with cops (bomb squad) and fire department since, even in the 90's, hearing about an explosion at a major high school was going to get the blood pumping. Apparently that teacher ended up in the hospital with lacerations from the exploding jar and minor burns.

My high school chem story is slightly more boring. I went to a small Catholic high school who had a new Chem teacher every couple years. One year, we came back from Spring Break to discover the chem lab cordoned off with police tape. Turns out the new Chem teacher had decided to go through the chem closet (which was LITERALLY a closet in the classroom) and go through some of the samples they had, take inventory, etc. Some of it was well past the use point, and she was trying to figure out what they needed. As she got to the REALLY old stuff in the way back of the closet, she found one large jar had leaked. It was the half-lb block of sodium, and the crack in the jar had let out all the mineral oil. Apparently, at that point, she pulled the fire alarm, evacuated the building, and the bomb-squad really did have to come in and clear it out. And, since it all happened the last day of Spring Break, the room hadn't been cleared for re-entry yet. No one knew how long the glass jar of sodium had been in there, since the oil smudged the handwritten label that had been on the bottle. The teacher said, based on the age of stuff around it, it had been at least the 60's though.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I have yet to find a use for LLM, although I've seen attempts at it that look promising like being able to download a scientific paper and then enter a chat that can answer questions and provide a brief description. I haven't seen a successful one yet but if one ever appears it would cut down the amount of wasted time I spend digging through papers that end up being pointless for my work. So far those applications seem to work like chatting with a student who forgot to do the assignment and is winging it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Jen heir rick posted:

I asked chatgpt what 10 minutes times 1.5 million is and it gave the correct answer along with all the steps to get there. Given that all it's doing is collating different websites together that's pretty impressive. There's this thing called emergent behavior.

A computer doing math? Why I never! What will they think of next?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m surprised how few dumb accidents we had in school science classes since I went to a lovely school full of reprobates.

I remember once we were dissolving strips of some reactive metal (magnesium maybe?) for some educational reason and someone managed to get their hands on a bunch of them, ball them up and drop them into one of the full glass containers of acid the teacher was dishing out the materials from then put the stopper back on it.

Like 10 minutes later the stopper got blown into the lovely pressboard ceiling tiles and stuck there.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m surprised how few dumb accidents we had in school science classes since I went to a lovely school full of reprobates.

I remember once we were dissolving strips of some reactive metal (magnesium maybe?) for some educational reason and someone managed to get their hands on a bunch of them, ball them up and drop them into one of the full glass containers of acid the teacher was dishing out the materials from then put the stopper back on it.

Like 10 minutes later the stopper got blown into the lovely pressboard ceiling tiles and stuck there.

In high school my chemistry teacher was doing the ol' "Slivers of sodium in water" demo and we kept asking him to use bigger pieces. After some badgering, he got flustered and pointed in the direction of the classroom next door where the physics teacher taught. "Last year, I did this demo and she came in and called me a wuss for using tiny piece, so I used a bigger one and - " He pointed up at a scorch mark on the ceiling "- THAT happened!"

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

Wolfram|Alpha has done it for years AND includes way more unit conversions and comparisons than you'd ever actually need

That's a pretty dumb antiquated tool to be using in TYOOL 2023. Here's what I've been on lately:

Yall can hate on AI all you want, but this stuff is really gonna elevate my game of not doing work.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
The point I was trying to make with the math example is that it was surprising to me that a program that “all it does” is find the statistically most likely next word can do math. Not that you should use chatgpt to do math. That would be dumb. You have to check the answer. So there’s no utility there.

But, if I can ask it where an obscure setting is that would be useful. Or if I could ask it how to do something in photoshop and it could tell me, or even better show me, that would have utility.

I don’t personally think these things are gonna be a net good for society. Or at least I fear it could lead to a “grey goo” situation where it becomes increasingly hard to find real information. I just don’t think putting your head in the sand and denying the capabilities of these things is doing any good. Like people said it can’t write code for poo poo, so I try it out and have it write a boiler plate function and it looks like it writes code to me. I’m gonna believe my lying eyes.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

pixaal posted:

It's like going from flat file to a relational database (SQL). It's an upgrade but it needs to be engineers for the use case and right now everyone is working with the first settings that had good results as no one fully understands how the blackbox works.

You know what SolidGoldMagicKarp was a great bug and the dive into it should give you an idea of how they work https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/aPeJE8bSo6rAFoLqg/solidgoldmagikarp-plus-prompt-generation (There's multiple phases one of them had some reddit usernames like SolidGoldMagickarp as being common enough to get their own token, but then that data was deemed low quality and stripped from the training data at some point so the tokens are entirely blank giving insane answers, I think the fix was disabling the tokens)

That post started out a bit incomprehensible, but got rather interesting - especially in the followups when they began digging for the origins of these broken tokens.

Of course it helps that I have already used similar techniques on a tiny scale to write a "recommend the most similar aeticles" tool for a blog once, so the basic idea was surprisingly familiar.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Didn't we have a wholeass mock thread for these fuckers and their cult leader who is now calling for targeted air strikes on data centres to counter AI?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Didn't we have a wholeass mock thread for these fuckers and their cult leader who is now calling for targeted air strikes on data centres to counter AI?

That entire post series is just "these words are strangely close to or far from absolutely everything else, so the model breaks weirdly when you give them as input - and here is where they seem to come from". I didn't get any apocalyptic vibes from it, but maybe they're just good at compartmentalisation.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

All I know is we have some boring reports to write up twice a year but the bosses don't want you to copy-paste what you wrote last time even when literally nothing has changed. ChatGPT is a nice little labor saver for rephrasing a few paragraphs while still saying basically the same thing.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I can confirm that chatgpt is excellent at writing corporate drivel for things like your self evaluation form.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I can confirm Chat GTP did not manage to 'Write an award-winning novel', so it's basically trash.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Dance Officer posted:

I can confirm that chatgpt is excellent at writing corporate drivel for things like your self evaluation form.

it also owns for making noncommittal emails if u dont really want to do something but you have to respond or they'll call you on teams

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Dumb poo poo your work does: Got an MBA and celebrated by taking a nap in a hot car

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

I can confirm Chat GTP did not manage to 'Write an award-winning novel', so it's basically trash.

Neither have I, and I am a trash person. Get on my level, ChatGTP.

Dumb work poo poo: Our truck driver must have been waiting so long for our load that it hosed his schedule up. A 1030 delivery is now expected at the stop before us, an hour away, between 1300 and 1300. That could mean any-loving-thing in the world. The shipping contractor refuses to give us an updated time on their end and won't let us contact the driver directly. We can't unload in the dark or on Sunday, either.

Oh, well. I'm still going in 30 min after opening, and staying until the unloading is done. That's gonna suck, kicking poo poo off the semi-trailer onto carts in the middle of an alley in 90°F weather. Hope it doesn't rain! We will bitch about it less if we can soak up some overtime.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deki posted:

He's right though?

The whole process of chatgpt is literally just choosing which word goes next in the response based on the prompt. It's basically finding the highest likelihood words to go next based on the prompt, chat history, and it's massive set training data.

If you use the ChatGPT API and turn the "creativity", or heat up real high, you don't get ChatGPT being creative, you get gibberish sentences of random words.

And I believe if you set it to 0, you will always get the exact result back, IE: the sequence of words with the highest weight.

There's more to it, but basically just pulling on old data and regurgitating it to you, it's not making inferences or anything.

Having the option to be deterministic is t
a long way from "searching locally cached results"

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Our plant manager today was lamenting about Mexico losing 0-3 to the US. He then mentioned that when he goes to games he does the homophobic chant too but doesn’t mean anything by it. He vomited these words out in an all hands meeting that included HR and at least one gay employee.

So I guess that’s another round of sensitivity training for everyone.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Our plant manager today was lamenting about Mexico losing 0-3 to the US. He then mentioned that when he goes to games he does the homophobic chant too but doesn’t mean anything by it. He vomited these words out in an all hands meeting that included HR and at least one gay employee.

So I guess that’s another round of sensitivity training for everyone.

I'd like to take a moment of time to say how loving good your username is.

Under the bed, next to the spiders and covered in dust bunnies? A pivotal point in life? A turn in a people's politics, so to speak?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

God I loving love how we open the all hands with a land acknowledgement followed immediately by one of the execs dredging up some ancient racist stereotype people don't even use any more to try to make a point. It's peak comedy and definitely not reflective of how the exec board treats the company as a whole

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
We had some consultants come in last year and one of their recommendations was that my boss has more one on one meetings with us and so we are doing this pilot program where apparently I meet with her once a month and then we also have small group meetings every couple weeks?

I do not need this. My boss probably does not want to do this either. We meet like once every 6 months because I’m just kind of there to be the grease in the wheels of the operation. I don’t want to talk to anyone let me just do my 8 hrs in my home office without anyone saying anything to me and let me go what the gently caress

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

madeintaipei posted:

I'd like to take a moment of time to say how loving good your username is.

Under the bed, next to the spiders and covered in dust bunnies? A pivotal point in life? A turn in a people's politics, so to speak?

It’s a Radium original!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

madeintaipei posted:

We can't unload in the dark or on Sunday, either.

Are you in some kind of reverse christian vampire union or something?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

Are you in some kind of reverse christian vampire union or something?

Can't open the back door after dark and the route we're on has a guaranteed Sunday off for the driver.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Remember to bring a nice snack for the truck driver! He has probably had a poo poo day and might not have had a chance to stop for something to eat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

Remember to bring a nice snack for the truck driver! He has probably had a poo poo day and might not have had a chance to stop for something to eat.

If it's that hot, an electrolyte-rich beverage would be a good idea.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Speaking of sensitivity training, we had an all-hands training to discuss avoiding sexual harassment (liability) in the workplace. One of the employees on my team had just publicly transitioned and while most folks were doing well, not everyone was on the same page.

As the training starts, right on cue, one of our “old guys” gives this chef’s kiss of an example, to the trainer. He proceeds to ask the following, half-serious and half-trying to get a rise out of the speaker.

quote:

So what if you’re working on the thirtieth floor or something, using the copier. The hot secretary asks if she can interrupt us real quick since she only has a couple of pages. When she bends over to put in paper, you say “what a nice view”? You could have been talking about the look out the windows!

To her credit, the trainer had been warned about “this guy” (who was suspected to be the singular reason for the training in the first place) and she handled his examples (as there were multiple) really well.

At last check he’s still employed there two years later, still has no job description, and just sort of exists as a bubble of 1950s misogyny in the office.

So glad I bounced out of that place.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

what the gently caress

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just me, saying "what a nice view" out loud, which I do all the time when I look out of the window.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Cool poo poo

The buckets of liquid color we use to make Widgets contaminate the Widgets with black flecks. The company requesting these Widgets wants little to no contamination since these are HealthCare Widgets. Awesome. Great.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

In what kind of HealthCare Widgets is a "little" contamination okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
chatgpt is telling a virgin to organise a 3some