Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

BonoMan posted:

I understand she was terrible to work with but let's not do *that.*

Look, I'm just going to say it and bear with me but that Hitler guy... Man, that guy was a real JERK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm just teasing you man, it's old news so I shouldn't bring it back up. I'd just say she's been a net detriment to the people of this industry. i.e : I've often seen comments to the effect that Disney operate in frankly irresponsible ways in regards to how they treat VFX workers. Dozens of hundreds of retakes on single shots sounds crazy to me. To me, it sounds fair to call her harsh words if you've had to work under that pressure. Anyways, that's just my two cents. Alright, I'll go and sit in the corner now. See ya later.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 22, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Odddzy posted:

I'm just teasing you man, it's old news so I shouldn't bring it back up. I'd just say she's been a net detriment to the people of this industry. i.e : I've often seen comments to the effect that Disney operate in frankly irresponsible ways in regards to how they treat VFX workers. Dozens of hundreds of retakes on single shots sounds crazy to me. To me, it sounds fair to call her harsh words if you've had to work under that pressure. Anyways, that's just my two cents. Alright, I'll go and sit in the corner now. See ya later.

Don't confuse me saying "let's not use gendered insults" with defending her. She's by all accounts terrible and made life miserable for lots of people and deserves to be called out on it.

But I think we can also not reinforce words we should let go of. Those ideas can coexist.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think everyone is ok. It's gonna be ok.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
It's all good.

On another note, what's the move for freelancers nowadays to get some business? The corporate grind is starting to wear me down. Maybe I'm coming at it from a wrong angle but I wonder if there's a way to switch. That conversation about collaborating with people who want constant retakes is something that rings close to home.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Odddzy posted:

It's all good.

On another note, what's the move for freelancers nowadays to get some business? The corporate grind is starting to wear me down. Maybe I'm coming at it from a wrong angle but I wonder if there's a way to switch. That conversation about collaborating with people who want constant retakes is something that rings close to home.

It's tough, because from what I can see the freelancer market is in a temporary cooldown (except for a few really established folks). It's not quite recession level, but I'm seeing some definite budget constriction that has all but the bigger players sort of putting a pause on things. I'm not a freelancer, but we do hire them from time to time and our budgets have constricted which have put a hold on using freelancers.

I'm on a few discords and slacks and those are great places to network. I'm not what you do exactly, but I'm on the mograph.com slack for instance and there are lots of jobs being posted and meetups, etc. Generally everyone successful on there does so through successful networking.

I know there are sites like Working/Not Working and Rolo but not sure how successful people are with using them. Active Twitter and LinkedIn users seem to do pretty well also.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another stylised character study, made a rig for this guy, which I haven't tried to since I started doing 3D professionally, so I made a lot of mistakes. This one came out pretty pixar inspired, I just watched Soul recently. Might be a good chance to do a bit of animation, which I haven't tried in over a decade

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

Another stylised character study, made a rig for this guy, which I haven't tried to since I started doing 3D professionally, so I made a lot of mistakes. This one came out pretty pixar inspired, I just watched Soul recently. Might be a good chance to do a bit of animation, which I haven't tried in over a decade

It’s fantastic, I love his gangly legs. :3:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I saw some question posted (maybe on a facebook group) asking what Blender shortcuts you would bind to a footswitch. I hadn't ever considered using any kind of foot controller as a HID (other than for racing games). I have a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller and it got me wondering, is it possible to use a midi foot controller for keybinding in Blender or other programs? Specifically, could a guy bind one of the rocker pedals to the size of the proportional editing brush?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Yes, there is AddRoutes which gives full MIDI/OSC support.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Nice work EoinCannon. Looks great!

Maya finally has an AI intergration tool over at CGmonastery called GrAI Box. Pretty cool stuff.
https://twitter.com/CgMonastery/status/1651402031314219011

Initial tests are promising.

Donut

Helmet

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 16, 2023

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Only had bread and butter poo poo to do in work for a while so i've been compensating for it by diving into tyflow a bit more in my spare time. I've been catching up on Cronenberg movies recently so naturally had to go there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUTIhHLOn0k

Got a few things on my list to try adding to it.
The growth can be directed along a series of animated splines, so i can set up a secondary particle sim that leaves trails behind which this growth follows - want to try and get 2 seperate growths to head towards each other. the physics bindings should allow them to eventually use dead tendrils to build a tower, climbing over each other.
Want to wrap a cloth sim around the start of it before it spawns, inflating the cloth and letting the tendrils burst out of it.
then, filling that cloth bag with a fluid sim before the burst happens should look cool.

tyflow is great!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

sigma 6 posted:

Nice work EoinCannon. Looks great!

Maya finally has an AI intergration tool over at CGmonastery called GrAI Box. Pretty cool stuff.
https://twitter.com/CgMonastery/status/1651402031314219011

Who's art did they train it on?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Alterian posted:

Who's art did they train it on?

You would have to ask them but it is based on the Vlad 1111 stable diffusion if that helps.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Made a walrus in ZB.
Rendered in redshift

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Majestic

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Working on a poster / flyer for a Grateful Dead themed Halloween show.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

EoinCannon posted:

Made a walrus in ZB.
Rendered in redshift

Very nice

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

Working on a poster / flyer for a Grateful Dead themed Halloween show.

Is this a zb render?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I am spending this summer redeveloping our into to 3d modeling course for game development. This course hasn't been updated in an embarassing amount of time. I've been itching to do this for years. I teach the higher courses this is a pre req for and its been.....frustrating.... what they come into my classes with.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Alterian posted:

I am spending this summer redeveloping our into to 3d modeling course for game development. This course hasn't been updated in an embarassing amount of time. I've been itching to do this for years. I teach the higher courses this is a pre req for and its been.....frustrating.... what they come into my classes with.

Message me. I have a lot of experience in this. Also share that frustration to a level you might not believe.

EoinCannon: Everything modeled in Zbrush but rendered in Maya / Arnold.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I wanted to move the class to Blender. We use Maya right now. My department head said no even though I have the support of other professors. Its a uniquely situated class because the students have half a semester of creating materials on 3d models in Painter before they take the class.

Edit: Its also for game development so I am skipping any sort of rendering and lighting in it since they would do that work outside of Maya. Students who are on the game programming track take this course as well as artists and this might be the only time they're taught anything about 3d modeling, but they need an understanding so they can talk to the artists or make programmer art!

Alterian fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 16, 2023

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Alterian posted:

I wanted to move the class to Blender. We use Maya right now. My department head said no even though I have the support of other professors. Its a uniquely situated class because the students have half a semester of creating materials on 3d models in Painter before they take the class.

Edit: Its also for game development so I am skipping any sort of rendering and lighting in it since they would do that work outside of Maya. Students who are on the game programming track take this course as well as artists and this might be the only time they're taught anything about 3d modeling, but they need an understanding so they can talk to the artists or make programmer art!

This is an ongoing battle in academia I discovered the hard way. Personally - I wish Houdini classes were featured at more schools.

What I see is a shift away from Adobe and Autodesk for a lot of people because there are so many free alternatives. Also with how common ipads are these days, so many people are opting for Procreate over Photoshop.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's the actual industry usage like? I know animation still happens primarily in Maya right? Are folks using Blender for modeling in the industry at all?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

BonoMan posted:

What's the actual industry usage like? I know animation still happens primarily in Maya right? Are folks using Blender for modeling in the industry at all?

As studios cut corners, free software becomes more and more appealing. Since Blender has made such huge strides in recent years, many are adopting it and there are more than a few zealots out there. This compeition is mirrored in academia, where departments would also like to cut out the cost of an autodesk subscription but it is usually the program director who makes these kinds of decisions and then it is a question of their preferences etc.

With more and more AI being used, things are changing pretty rapidly however. This is a pretty cool animation application which uses AI to help with tweening.

https://cascadeur.com/

Then there is this AI app which makes mocap from 3 iphones or ipads.

https://www.move.ai/

Things are changing rapidly.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I taught Houdini in my Tech Art class, but students had a hard time hanging with me. We are a 2 year program at a community college and some of our students come into it with little to no computer abilities so getting them up to speed in 2 years is a miracle.

For out students specifically they usually go two paths outside of school - transfer to a 4 year or get work as a contracter / indie route. Blender id great for the contractor / indie route as far as game development goes. Maya recently hosed their software pricing into a token system which is really really lovely for contractors. I use blender for my contract work now.

Edit: One of my other classes I teach is photogrammetry for games. Its sort of in the realm of AI where its really changing / going to change how game art is handled.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

As studios cut corners, free software becomes more and more appealing. Since Blender has made such huge strides in recent years, many are adopting it and there are more than a few zealots out there. This compeition is mirrored in academia, where departments would also like to cut out the cost of an autodesk subscription but it is usually the program director who makes these kinds of decisions and then it is a question of their preferences etc.

With more and more AI being used, things are changing pretty rapidly however. This is a pretty cool animation application which uses AI to help with tweening.

https://cascadeur.com/

Then there is this AI app which makes mocap from 3 iphones or ipads.

https://www.move.ai/

Things are changing rapidly.

Right, no I'm familiar with all of those services. I was just working on a project where I brought some Wonder Studio stuff into Blender. It was super cool.

I was just wondering what the real world usage of Blender is like in game studios and if Maya being a gold standard of animation kept studios in that pipeline.

(for me personally, I'm not in games, but am in the 3D/mograph world. I started on Maya v1 back in "the day." Then on to C4D/Octane. Now I'm finishing up my remaining C4D jobs and moving on to Blender as I'm the last person here at our place NOT on Blender.)

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 16, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Maya is still the standard when it comes to modeling and animation.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Right, no I'm familiar with all of those services. I was just working on a project where I brought some Wonder Studio stuff into Blender. It was super cool.

I was just wondering what the real world usage of Blender is like in game studios and if Maya being a gold standard of animation kept studios in that pipeline.

(for me personally, I'm not in games, but am in the 3D/mograph world. I started on Maya v1 back in "the day." Then on to C4D/Octane. Now I'm finishing up my remaining C4D jobs and moving on to Blender as I'm the last person here at our place NOT on Blender.)

Maya/Max are still the gold standard in the industry but absolutely no one at this point really cares what software package you're used to. The portfolio is king and there's always an expectation of tools training for every industry job.

As for Blender, I know it's in use at a bunch of bigger studios these days, like Bungie (seen in the Marathon Vidoc) and Ubisoft (a member of the Blender Development Fund https://www.blender.org/press/ubisoft-joins-blender-development-fund/), and everywhere in the indie scene. As a lifelong user of Max, I generally advocate for Blender these days, as there's a much larger plugin ecosystem, and many QOL features that Max and Maya don't have. It's also great to be able to use the same software for professional and personal work.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Models are easy to move around so it doesn't matter. I think rigging/animation teams tend to lock in to the same tools though.

Fx is even getting to the point where the tools you author in don't matter as much, with openvdb and alembic caches they're easy to move around too. Between tyflow and embergen it's important to be a bit more loose so you can use the best tool for the job.

I use blender alongside max too, but honestly the last couple max releases has left me not opening blender. The modeling tools in max were already my favourite and they're making huge improvements on top of that. The entire back end of how max uses polygons was rewritten and now all these fun extra tools can come out of it. The new booleans are unreal.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 16, 2023

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

cubicle gangster posted:

The modeling tools in max were already my favourite and they're making huge improvements on top of that. The entire back end of how max uses polygons was rewritten and now all these fun extra tools can come out of it. The new booleans are unreal.

Are there any examples of what the new booleans can do? I can't find a new boolean features page online...

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Same. I'm really curious if they approach any of the incredibly good boolean plugins available for Blender.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Changsoo eun has a few quick videos that cover the new functions

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWZKzOFFc2QSk9KUDxa4cVDWJ5KeaSWlV

Check them all out, but a key one that I think cant be done in blender is the vdb booleans combined with retopology.

The smart extrude is also a MUCH nicer way to model - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r3vGFBIlnI

The new array modifier is also very good, used that on a recent project for a shot which imo came out super nice.
This is part of the project I posted about a while ago, it's still not public but I don't think anyone will mind me sharing these 3 shots. This was all procedurally modeled and animated, the cables were done using tyflow to create bindings between certain points and mesh them into splines. Kept everything editable which allowed me to change the look of the glass rods while still loving around with the timing and motion - the chandelier wasn't designed, but the design team knew the kind of thing they wanted to eventually commission. Everything was dynamic, could slide the brass rings along, the cables would update, the glass would pinch in around them, the amount it pinched could be tweaked etc.

https://i.imgur.com/vQJ1qvI.mp4

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 16, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Nice! That workflow feels very c4d-ish. That's the one thing I like about it .. it's mograph centricity makes for great parametric rigs.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

cubicle gangster posted:

Check them all out, but a key one that I think cant be done in blender is the vdb booleans combined with retopology.

Someone on twitter is building a blender plugin that does vdb booleans, I'll post it if I can find it again. Although not sure if he's building it for distribution or just for himself...

Gearman posted:

Same. I'm really curious if they approach any of the incredibly good boolean plugins available for Blender.

Which ones do you like?

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I lost all of my textures a while ago when my HDD died, and I'm having a terrible time building things back up

Does anybody know a good spot to download a big pack full of free textures? alternatively, if you have your own collection you could zip it up and upload it to google drive and share it with the thread

Thousands of materials to work with, hand-made alpha maps, customized textures to make them tile, all gone :( I REALLY want to rebuild this collection, so please help me out!

e: i had been building this up since like 2007 and was able to recover maybe 10% of my textures, absolute nightmare. I just need free textures!

e2: Browsing through websites like textures.com, it's "free" but to download textures you need to pay with credits! Almost every free texture website I've seen tries to get money out of you. It's so frustrating! There are tons of free to use textures out there, creative commons and all that jazz, but the websites make it impossible to get them.

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 17, 2023

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Since I know most people stick to their bookmarks, I'm going to spam the busier threads with a link to the CC feedback thread

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Listerine posted:

Someone on twitter is building a blender plugin that does vdb booleans, I'll post it if I can find it again. Although not sure if he's building it for distribution or just for himself...

Which ones do you like?

Boxcutter and Hard Ops are pretty much the gold standard but a few others like Speedflow and Meshmachine are really good, too.

I don't think Blender has a plug-in that's as solid as Max's Smart Extrude, though. That does look really impressive.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Telltolin posted:

I lost all of my textures a while ago when my HDD died, and I'm having a terrible time building things back up

Does anybody know a good spot to download a big pack full of free textures?

Heres some legitimately good & free ones. The same team do fantastic HDRI's too.
https://polyhaven.com/textures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

Heres some legitimately good & free ones. The same team do fantastic HDRI's too.
https://polyhaven.com/textures

Thank you, this is very helpful! I'm grabbing a bunch from here -- I use 3ds max (i've been too lazy to learn blender properly) but I can grab the raw diffuse from these.

I'm still on the look out for a, like, a free (and legal) zip file full of 600 various assorted textures, so if anybody has something like that I'd still love to grab it!