Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

My partner and I were discussing this earlier. While I like the commercial aesthetic and simplicity, are they good on carpet? As in, do they do a good job by beating the poo poo out of my carpet and wearing it faster?

The standup traditional Oreck vacuums are the ones that professional cleaners use and they are built like loving tanks. My parents is 25 years old and runs excellently, it also makes vacuuming our oriental rug so much freakin easier than our LG Stick Vac. Am actually debating bringing it back to Costco cuz that thing did not last as long as I was hoping before like, latches started wearing and stuff like that. And the design is... it could be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

StormDrain posted:

My partner and I were discussing this earlier. While I like the commercial aesthetic and simplicity, are they good on carpet? As in, do they do a good job by beating the poo poo out of my carpet and wearing it faster?

I have a Kirby vac right now that I think does a great job and is about 30 years old so I'm not really in the market, just curious. I got the shark to do the stairs and just as a lower barrier vacuuming solution so I can do touch ups and clean more often.

Yeah, you just have to remember to change out the brush every once an awhile. That part is made to be a consumable and it wears down.

Two caveats though: Orecks aren’t great if your carpet is really tall, and you’ll still need a handheld vacuum for a few things because there are no attachments. But for what it does they’re fantastic.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Zero VGS posted:

Listen here you little poo poo: I asked her for a spare vacuum a year ago, and she's like "well I have 8 house vacs and 2 shop vacs in the basement, but here take this one" and she gives me one of this model from the 1960s or something

And I'm thinking how good can this ancient artifact possibly be? But it's ludicrous how loving strong and effective this thing is. And I forgot how nice being able to just toss the bag out is.

I'm just saying, my mom's OCD about vacuuming and we grew up with pets. She's like Saint Vacuum. Don't mock her opinions!

My mom is also OCD about cleaning and has had this same vacuum since lord knows when. It is 70s avocado green and it's older than me. She also has a shark and roomba for lighter jobs. Maybe Moms just like vacuums.

Note I am a Mom and I have three.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
lol, from Mr Mom:

Keaton: "Where does your mommy keep the vacuum cleaner?"
Kid: "you mean JAWS?"
Keaton: "Your mommy calls the vacuum cleaner JAWS?"
kid: "y-y-yeah" (uses wooden spoon to point off-screen, flicking chili everywhere)

Anywho...
Can the rest of the parishioners give me some feedback on what air filter is best? They have a bunch of choices online:
I assume Winix is the way to go no matter what

1 -- Winix True HEPA 4 Stage Air Purifier with Wi-Fi and Additional Filter: $129.99

2 -- Winix C555 Air Cleaner with PlasmaWave Technology: $139.99

3 -- Winix C909 4-Stage Air Purifier with Wi-Fi & PlasmaWave Technology: $199.99

Comedy option that I don't have the $$$ for
X -- Winix Tower XQ Air Purifier: $569.99

It's for our bedroom that's only about 400 sq ft, but we have pets and the air quality in our town is terrible and so we may want to overbuy.

Anyone have a reason to prefer one over the other or have issues with one of these?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bagmonkey posted:

The standup traditional Oreck vacuums are the ones that professional cleaners use and they are built like loving tanks. My parents is 25 years old and runs excellently, it also makes vacuuming our oriental rug so much freakin easier than our LG Stick Vac. Am actually debating bringing it back to Costco cuz that thing did not last as long as I was hoping before like, latches started wearing and stuff like that. And the design is... it could be better

Dick Fontaine posted:

Yeah, you just have to remember to change out the brush every once an awhile. That part is made to be a consumable and it wears down.

Two caveats though: Orecks aren’t great if your carpet is really tall, and you’ll still need a handheld vacuum for a few things because there are no attachments. But for what it does they’re fantastic.

Neither of you addressed my question so it must have been a writing issue on my part. What I wanted to know is are they rougher in carpet and rugs to the point of wearing the carpet and rugs down. Taking some of the material away with the dirt.

I just bought a rug and my rug salesman reccomended not to use the beater on it (and don't come around to tell me it's a lovely rug I don't care).

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Oh, it’s not gentle

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

We've had this one for a couple years now. It sits in our main living area and sucks away, mostly silently. When it smells what the rock is cooking, or someone farts too close to it, an angry red light turns on and it aggressively cleans the air. Sometimes people will claim the unit is detecting a false positive, but Winix don't lie.

You're supposed to change the active carbon filter every couple months and the HEPA every 8-12 months. There are off-brand versions on Amazon that seem to do a great job. The washable filter/screen gets suitably dirty in ~4 months and warrants a run under the sink. You get a ton of the carbon screens, so I just change them whenever the spirit moves me. HEPA does get dirty, but not like a furnace filter dirty; it's just not moving that kind of air (plus there are like 3 filters in front of it).

Wifi is largely useless, though it does show a little air quality over time graph. Just enable the light sensor mode, tuck it against a wall and forget about it until something blinks.

No pets, non-smokers, vaguely aware of domestic chores such as dusting. It's worth $129 for the wifi-enabled fart detector alone.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Shredder posted:

fyi you can get bootleg ones on amazon for cheap

And some of them are even mostly lead free

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

namlosh posted:

lol, from Mr Mom:

Keaton: "Where does your mommy keep the vacuum cleaner?"
Kid: "you mean JAWS?"
Keaton: "Your mommy calls the vacuum cleaner JAWS?"
kid: "y-y-yeah" (uses wooden spoon to point off-screen, flicking chili everywhere)

Anywho...
Can the rest of the parishioners give me some feedback on what air filter is best? They have a bunch of choices online:
I assume Winix is the way to go no matter what

1 -- Winix True HEPA 4 Stage Air Purifier with Wi-Fi and Additional Filter: $129.99

2 -- Winix C555 Air Cleaner with PlasmaWave Technology: $139.99

3 -- Winix C909 4-Stage Air Purifier with Wi-Fi & PlasmaWave Technology: $199.99

Comedy option that I don't have the $$$ for
X -- Winix Tower XQ Air Purifier: $569.99

It's for our bedroom that's only about 400 sq ft, but we have pets and the air quality in our town is terrible and so we may want to overbuy.

Anyone have a reason to prefer one over the other or have issues with one of these?

Like I mentioned earlier, the "square footage rating" is for the purifier to filter the air 4-5 times an hour on the highest setting. The 3rd one might let you run it lower than "full blast-full volume" which you'll probably appreciate if you don't sleep with earplugs like I do.
By the time you're getting up to the price of the 4th one I'd suggest looking at something that doesn't focus on style and IOT like a Honeywell. Those old style round ones have so, so much more filter area than the tiny little modern purifiers. The filter below has maybe 3x the surface area and 3x the depth of my Winix.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Love my old round honeywell hepa. They're beasts.

AKZ fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 16, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Ever since I got a hepa filter and started changing the filters regularly I’m horrified and disgusted at what I used to just be breathing in every day

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

pencilhands posted:

Ever since I got a hepa filter and started changing the filters regularly I’m horrified and disgusted at what I used to just be breathing in every day

Me too

*faces a blunt*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Ran into Costco yesterday for a few essentials ($80, they didn't have any of the essentials I was looking for). Brought my kid with me and the receipt checker drew him a smiley face as normal.

He carried the receipt around with him all day because he loves his smiley face. Clung to it for dear life on the ride home, took a nap in the car, and panicked when he woke up when he couldn't find his precious receipt.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have a pregnant wife and all she wants for breakfast is a Jimmy Dean egg sandwich. The light one with egg whites on an English muffin.

I asked the podium for help and apparently they've been removed from the system. Not even god can save me now. But maybe 72 count boxes of eggo waffles can.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fischtick posted:

We've had this one for a couple years now. It sits in our main living area and sucks away, mostly silently. When it smells what the rock is cooking, or someone farts too close to it, an angry red light turns on and it aggressively cleans the air. Sometimes people will claim the unit is detecting a false positive, but Winix don't lie.

You're supposed to change the active carbon filter every couple months and the HEPA every 8-12 months. There are off-brand versions on Amazon that seem to do a great job. The washable filter/screen gets suitably dirty in ~4 months and warrants a run under the sink. You get a ton of the carbon screens, so I just change them whenever the spirit moves me. HEPA does get dirty, but not like a furnace filter dirty; it's just not moving that kind of air (plus there are like 3 filters in front of it).

Wifi is largely useless, though it does show a little air quality over time graph. Just enable the light sensor mode, tuck it against a wall and forget about it until something blinks.

No pets, non-smokers, vaguely aware of domestic chores such as dusting. It's worth $129 for the wifi-enabled fart detector alone.

I wash our screen every week and it's always choked with red dirt and dog hair, so it's definitely doing the job. My home environment is probably more challenging for these things than a lot of peoples'. I don't change the charcoal filter that often; whenever I clean the screen I run over the charcoal sheet with a Dyson upholstery turbine and it pulls out a ton of dirt. I'm definitely due for a new HEPA filter, though, since it's been over a year since I got my Winix.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Renegret posted:

I have a pregnant wife and all she wants for breakfast is a Jimmy Dean egg sandwich. The light one with egg whites on an English muffin.

I asked the podium for help and apparently they've been removed from the system. Not even god can save me now. But maybe 72 count boxes of eggo waffles can.

I feel her pain
Dollar Tree carries Jimmy Dean egg and sausage on English muffins but supply can be sporadic at DT. They probably don't carry the egg white version but I don't look close: I get the cheese & sausage version because for some reason I can usually down one when dealing with my frequent nausea while eggs tend to make things worse.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Thanks for the replies thread! PBUC!

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

Those Jimmy Dean sandwiches are the main reason I have a BJ's membership.

I was weak and I needed my fix!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Hambulance posted:

Those Jimmy Dean sandwiches are the main reason I have a BJ's membership.

I was weak and I needed my fix!

This might actually be enough to convince me to sign up for BJs

They keep sending me offers in the mail for a free 3 months so hey why not

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I saw a lady return an empty bottle of pills to Costco last week. The manager accepted it but seemed pissed.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

Neither of you addressed my question so it must have been a writing issue on my part. What I wanted to know is are they rougher in carpet and rugs to the point of wearing the carpet and rugs down. Taking some of the material away with the dirt.

I just bought a rug and my rug salesman reccomended not to use the beater on it (and don't come around to tell me it's a lovely rug I don't care).

Yeah it would work on the majority of carpets but if your sales guy said you should be gentle with it, you should prolly drop the coin on a vacuum made for that type of rug since it'll also work on your other rugs too

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I mean I assume you can regulate the suction power on one of those Orecks like you can with any other vacuum?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Renegret posted:

good lord man, just do it yourself. get some egg rings and you can crank those things out cleanly in five minutes or less. if you’re using egg whites you can get a carton of just that and it’s even faster

e: feel like i should probably add that this is in earnest. i can write up the whole procedure for you if you’d like

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 16, 2023

Heffer
May 1, 2003

There was a vacuum professional on Reddit who did a few AMAs. What surprised me was his recommendations were mostly brands I had never heard of.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7gmsoe/iama_reddits_own_vacuum_repair_tech_with_a_very/

Miele for canisters
Riccar for uprights
Hoover for budget machines
Sanitaire or Royal for commercial machines
Dyson if you just can't be talked out of a bagless machine.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

miele is freaking sweet if you want to drop some dosh

e: don’t get the one at costco though. that model doesn’t come with the good brush

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 16, 2023

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Reporting from the trenches, the berry smoothie is no more. It’s been replaced by the mango smoothie.

I’ll post a trip report later this evening

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Local costco facebook group says mango smoothie very bad. It’s mostly sugar. you’ve been warned

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Heffer posted:

There was a vacuum professional on Reddit who did a few AMAs. What surprised me was his recommendations were mostly brands I had never heard of.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7gmsoe/iama_reddits_own_vacuum_repair_tech_with_a_very/

Miele for canisters
Riccar for uprights
Hoover for budget machines
Sanitaire or Royal for commercial machines
Dyson if you just can't be talked out of a bagless machine.

Snagged a minty Miele for $50 a yard sale, practically ran away before they could change their mind. It's a loving beast, and so quiet too.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

AmbientParadox posted:

Reporting from the trenches, the berry smoothie is no more. It’s been replaced by the mango smoothie.

I’ll post a trip report later this evening

I just had a berry smoothie for the first and only time a couple of weeks ago. It was decent. If the mango one is as bad as everyone says it is, they'll probably get rid of it before too long and replace it with something else. Maybe they bring the berry one back in that case.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dick Fontaine posted:

good lord man, just do it yourself. get some egg rings and you can crank those things out cleanly in five minutes or less. if you’re using egg whites you can get a carton of just that and it’s even faster

e: feel like i should probably add that this is in earnest. i can write up the whole procedure for you if you’d like

Like, I get it, but she wouldn't be eating frozen breakfast sandwiches if we had time to make breakfast every morning. I start work at 5am so I'm not around, and her pregnant rear end needs to get herself and our already born kid ready and out the door by 7:30. Yeah I'm not adding any complications to that already difficult routine. We did talk about meal prepping our own on weekends and freezing them and we'll explore that option the next time the need hits.

If I had unlimited time to care for my family I wouldn't need to shop at Costco in the first place. There's a reason I seek out quick and easy frozen dinners.

And if you've never met a pregnant person before, yeah sometimes you absolutely need to eat a Jimmy Dean delight egg sandwich with an extra slice of cheese and no substitutes will be accepted under penalty of death. Okay I don't want that anymore now I need a bag of jelly beans but only the buttered popcorn flavored ones with a side of laundry detergent. Why did you bring this to me I want eggo waffles cut into triangles.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

Local costco facebook group says mango smoothie very bad. It’s mostly sugar. you’ve been warned

You have a local Costco Facebook group?! Is it more or less activity than this thread? Which do you prefer posting in, and why?

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Dick Fontaine posted:

miele is freaking sweet if you want to drop some dosh

e: don’t get the one at costco though. that model doesn’t come with the good brush

Confirm. We got a Miele upright at the local vacuum store, and it has been amazing. Yep, little bit of sticker shock on the price, but knowing it might be the last vacuum I buy? I’m good with that.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Renegret posted:

Like, I get it, but she wouldn't be eating frozen breakfast sandwiches if we had time to make breakfast every morning. I start work at 5am so I'm not around, and her pregnant rear end needs to get herself and our already born kid ready and out the door by 7:30. Yeah I'm not adding any complications to that already difficult routine. We did talk about meal prepping our own on weekends and freezing them and we'll explore that option the next time the need hits.

If I had unlimited time to care for my family I wouldn't need to shop at Costco in the first place. There's a reason I seek out quick and easy frozen dinners.

And if you've never met a pregnant person before, yeah sometimes you absolutely need to eat a Jimmy Dean delight egg sandwich with an extra slice of cheese and no substitutes will be accepted under penalty of death. Okay I don't want that anymore now I need a bag of jelly beans but only the buttered popcorn flavored ones with a side of laundry detergent. Why did you bring this to me I want eggo waffles cut into triangles.

You could make a pretty big batch of them fairly easily and freeze them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've had a Miele canister for ten years now. I had to replace the tube on it because it got kinked up bad one time (my fault) and the electric cord that runs through it got a break in it. I think the replacement was $150 even, but it's the only thing I've had to replace/repair in ten years.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
See what you gotta do is just turn your kitchen into a little factory for one type of sandwich one day a week. Don't for an instant think that the specific convenience food your pregnant wife craves could possibly be provided at scale for a reasonable price by any organization. Not here, in the Costco thread

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

You could make a pretty big batch of them fairly easily and freeze them.

:cripes:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
lol, I love this thread

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

look, we’re just trying to be polite about helping a guy out. that pregnant wife will be none too happy when this dude comes home showing off his brand new membership card from the bj club

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Renegret posted:

:sever:

go out for a pack of smokes and start a new life like the good ol days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Renegret posted:

Ran into Costco yesterday for a few essentials ($80, they didn't have any of the essentials I was looking for). Brought my kid with me and the receipt checker drew him a smiley face as normal.

He carried the receipt around with him all day because he loves his smiley face. Clung to it for dear life on the ride home, took a nap in the car, and panicked when he woke up when he couldn't find his precious receipt.

drawing smiley faces for the children was my favourite part about working the exit door :3: it delights me to know how much they truly love them

as for the mango smoothie, i personally prefer it over the berry one but for everyone who hates it, dont worry it's only temporary.