Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

K8.0 posted:

The stated reason for loving 38" 1600p is almost always extra vertical space, and 42" 4k is virtually identical except that it gives you much more vertical space. Also you get an OLED instead of an IPS and you save significant money. Or you can buy a 42"/43" 4k IPS and save even more money (they're like 30% the cost) if you don't want an OLED.

I admit that there may have been an argument for them for some limited group of people before the 42" class displays existed. Now, it's a vanishingly small segment that they are ideal for.

A 42" TV/monitor is gonna be about 22" tall, plus stand. A 38" 1600p is gonna be about 15-16" tall, plus stand. That's a massive difference for a lot of people in terms of what can fit within their desk space, and how it feels to be using it--considerably more eye travel if you sit at a "normal desk" distance on the 42" than the 38".

So while the pixel count might be similar, the actual experience using them is quite different and will appeal to different people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

DrDork posted:

A 42" TV/monitor is gonna be about 22" tall, plus stand. A 38" 1600p is gonna be about 15-16" tall, plus stand. That's a massive difference for a lot of people in terms of what can fit within their desk space, and how it feels to be using it--considerably more eye travel if you sit at a "normal desk" distance on the 42" than the 38".

So while the pixel count might be similar, the actual experience using them is quite different and will appeal to different people.

This is my situation. A 38" ultrawide would essentially maximize the use of available space for me, while a 42" 16:9 would be too big in the wrong dimensions.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Shaocaholica posted:

Are oled pixels different for TVs vs oled monitor?

I also need sRGB color space so I’m probably stuck with the Dell for a bit.

I'd also like to know if UI burn-in a serious issue for these OLED monitors?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Listerine posted:

I'd also like to know if UI burn-in a serious issue for these OLED monitors?

yes. Linus did a video about it. Admittedly he was just using a 42" TV as a monitor but there's no significant differences in the tech that would stop it happening to the ones explicitly sold as monitors and indeed if you google there's examples of burn-in with UI elements.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 12, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I recall that TV LCD pixels looked really bad up close if you wanted to use one as a monitor compared to a purpose made LCD monitor. Is that still true for OLED? Do TV OLED pixels look bad at monitor viewing distances compared to purpose made OLED monitor pixels?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

2 monitors is best because when one randomly dies you still have a working monitor.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Instead of 1 computer 2 monitors side by side I have 2 computer 2 monitor side by side.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Instead of 1 computer 2 monitors side by side I have 2 computer 2 monitor side by side.

Just add intelligent eye tracking to assign my inputs from one mouse and keyboard to the monitor and computer I'm looking at, seamlessly and automatically, and I'm in heaven.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I also have 2 keyboard 2 mouse. I’m too old to use a fancy software but I did do it way back with synergy. I need hard separation.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shaocaholica posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I recall that TV LCD pixels looked really bad up close if you wanted to use one as a monitor compared to a purpose made LCD monitor. Is that still true for OLED? Do TV OLED pixels look bad at monitor viewing distances compared to purpose made OLED monitor pixels?

It's not specific to TVs, but large format consumer OLEDs have unusual subpixel arrangements .LG WOLEDs have white in addition to red green and blue. This does mean subpixel antialiased text looks worse in one sense. Eventually we will probably see support for more subpixel layouts in text AA engines, but that is likely 5-10 years from now.

Whether a QD-OLED or WOLED makes sense depends on what exactly you intend to do, how how far you sit from your monitor, how your eyes personally perceive text on a specific display type, and whether the upsides (infinite contrast, much faster response times) make up for the downsides (varying degrees of text imperfections, significantly lower expected lifespan than an LCD).

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
Looks like Dough Tech will release a decently priced 27" 1440p OLED at long last. Like, expensive but heading in the right direction. Probably the best news for monitor buyers in like a decade or something

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's sad that people are still falling for their crap how many years into it?

You can get the LG tomorrow for 888, or you can give those half con artists your money and get the same panel when they feel like it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

It's not specific to TVs, but large format consumer OLEDs have unusual subpixel arrangements .LG WOLEDs have white in addition to red green and blue. This does mean subpixel antialiased text looks worse in one sense. Eventually we will probably see support for more subpixel layouts in text AA engines, but that is likely 5-10 years from now.

10 years from now text layout engines probably won't have subpixel AA at all, platforms where high DPI displays are the norm (apple/android) have already dropped it and microsoft have flirted with dropping it in their "modern" UI engines like UWP

it's a huge pain in the rear end for rendering engines to support so they all want to get rid of it as soon as they can get away with it

https://faultlore.com/blah/text-hates-you/#anti-aliasing-is-hell

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Very brave of you to think that in 10 years 98% of PCs won't still have 20-24" 1080p LCDs.

Honestly it may still die but I think rumors of its death are probably overstated.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the compromise might end up being that cleartype coasts for a long time in its current form for the benefit of the 99% of low-DPI monitors that use standard RGB stripe, but monitors with weird subpixels layouts are just expected to be high-DPI enough to get away with greyscale AA

i don't think there's been any indication that microsoft ever intends to develop cleartype further, the writing was on the wall when they started shipping new GUI frameworks that use greyscale AA exclusively

bits and pieces of windows itself are losing their cleartype, even if you have it enabled, as they migrate to newer renderers that don't support it

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 13, 2023

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020

K8.0 posted:

It's sad that people are still falling for their crap how many years into it?

You can get the LG tomorrow for 888, or you can give those half con artists your money and get the same panel when they feel like it.

Not sure where that lg can be acquired for that price tbh

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DoctorRobert posted:

Not sure where that lg can be acquired for that price tbh

Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRBW8KRK?th=1&psc=1

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Any thoughts on this monitor?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-38WN95C-W...ps%2C147&sr=8-3

This seems to tick all the boxes for me. Coming from 3440x1440 at 60Hz, I like the extra pixels for office work; it supports HDR and seems to have a good color range, and it has a higher refresh rate (144 Hz) and supports G-sync; I don't play a large range of games but I will be putting a good amount of time into Diablo 4.

I think I'm going to give OLED a pass this time as I'm concerned about burn-in- I'm not great about making sure the monitor is off when not in use, and there are times where the screen content will be static for long periods of working/gaming time.

Any flaws/alternate products I should be aware of?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shaocaholica posted:

Somewhat already covered by others, but the short answer is Yes and Yes.

The triangular sub-pixel arrangement used in a lot of the higher-end OLED monitors are particularly obnoxious for "standard desktop use" because it'll often do weird poo poo like give you a noticeable one-pixel-wide red line at the bottom of a window as you drag it around. Similarly, odd color "echoes" around not just text, but other UI elements where things aren't lining up quite right.

Some people aren't bothered by it at all. Others are bothered by it a lot. As such, if you're considering one, I'd strongly recommend you try to find somewhere with a display unit for you to check out (many of them all share the same panel, so it doesn't have to be the exact model). Or at minimum buy it from someone like Amazon who will take it back without a fuss if you decide you don't like it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks for explaining. I don’t need to see it I already know I won’t like it as it will primarily be used for graphics/photo work.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

A QD-OLED with its triangular pattern might suck for that, a WOLED which has RWGB subpixels would probably be fine - but unless you need more true-to-life brightness and contrast/you're doing HDR work, it's probably not a particularly justifiable upgrade for you.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Amazon has the INNOCN 27M2V on sale for $719.99 right now. I’m honestly tempted to get it given the features, but some of the reviews and software/firmware teething issues give me pause…

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Is there a 1440p 24 or 25 inch monitor that is well regarded? Seems like the entire segment of 1440p is sorta condensing into 27 or 32 in panels. I am dealing with a relatively cramped space and a 27 inch panel is just too big :(

I’d prefer the extra pixel real estate for multitasking and games, I’ve just kinda ended up in a place where 27 is too big and 23 feels kinda small / dated. two smaller screens stacked up or something doesn’t really work either.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i thought i’d be able to use monitor arms for my new desk, but it turns out that the clamps won’t fit flush against them lol

i’d guess wall mounting would be a option then? or are there monitor arms with shorter clamps?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Splash Attack posted:

i thought i’d be able to use monitor arms for my new desk, but it turns out that the clamps won’t fit flush against them lol

i’d guess wall mounting would be a option then? or are there monitor arms with shorter clamps?

Ergear Dual Monitor Stand for 13 to 32 inch, Heavy Duty Fully Adjustable Monitor Stand for 2 Monitors, Dual Monitor Mount Fits up to 17.6 lbs per Arm, EGCM1 https://a.co/d/hMcUYrz

We have these.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Is there a 1440p 24 or 25 inch monitor that is well regarded? Seems like the entire segment of 1440p is sorta condensing into 27 or 32 in panels. I am dealing with a relatively cramped space and a 27 inch panel is just too big :(

I’d prefer the extra pixel real estate for multitasking and games, I’ve just kinda ended up in a place where 27 is too big and 23 feels kinda small / dated. two smaller screens stacked up or something doesn’t really work either.

There are only a handful of companies making good panels, especially for gaming. There are some 60 Hz 25" panels, but hardly anyone is going to know anything about them and you are going to pay through the nose. Still might be worth the gamble if your living/work space situation won't change for a few years.

I do believe there are a few reasonably well reviewed 23-24" 1440p high refresh monitors but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Might be worth doing some poking on Reddit to look for user experiences, for niche hardware it's often at least worth a look.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

AOC did recently announce the Q24G2A, which is a 24" 1440p monitor at 165hz, but it doesn't seem available in North America yet. Newegg doesn't have a single 24" or 25" monitor at 1440p with a refresh rate of 144hz or higher, it seems. This is a non-existent market, and I'm half expecting that AOC monitor to never make it to NA.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I wish I had 27" 1440p panels, I have to scale individual things by 10-20% to make it work on 24" 1440p. I use the Dell S2417DG 165hz (factory OC) TN which is decent for gaming by 2018 standards but it's TN along with a P2418D IPS 60hz. I'd much rather have 27" panels. You might luck out finding one of these for sale used if you are set on this size and rez.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've got an S2417DG too, and I used 125% scaling at first when it sat alongside my 24" 1080p, but I got used to 100% scaling once I started using other dense displays alongside it, despite my trash-tier eyesight.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

spunkshui posted:

Ergear Dual Monitor Stand for 13 to 32 inch, Heavy Duty Fully Adjustable Monitor Stand for 2 Monitors, Dual Monitor Mount Fits up to 17.6 lbs per Arm, EGCM1 https://a.co/d/hMcUYrz

We have these.

unfortunately drilling a grommet isn't a option, which is a shame because it'd be exactly what i was looking for. but the c-clamp would have to be less then two inches to fit in the back

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Splash Attack posted:

unfortunately drilling a grommet isn't a option, which is a shame because it'd be exactly what i was looking for. but the c-clamp would have to be less then two inches to fit in the back

I'm just using the clamps and its actually decently flush, only like 1.5cm from the wall.

Basically just enough for cables.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

AOC did recently announce the Q24G2A, which is a 24" 1440p monitor at 165hz, but it doesn't seem available in North America yet. Newegg doesn't have a single 24" or 25" monitor at 1440p with a refresh rate of 144hz or higher, it seems. This is a non-existent market, and I'm half expecting that AOC monitor to never make it to NA.

TY for the thoughts, yeah my workspace is the till at the shop I'm purchasing so considering how much debt I'm going into to acquire it, the setup at least is going to be a forever thing lol. I am trying like hell to squeeze a 27" panel in simply for the sake of wide/cheap selection but... I have 36 inches of linear width to accomodate my standing desk/till setup, that is probably closer to 34" if I want it to be comfortable. even a super-minimal bezel on a 27" panel eats 24 of them and I can't see poo poo!

E: can’t see poo poo around the sides / to the front of the store. I am used to funky scaling my laptop is a xps13 at native 1920x1200

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 17, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

TY for the thoughts, yeah my workspace is the till at the shop I'm purchasing so considering how much debt I'm going into to acquire it, the setup at least is going to be a forever thing lol. I am trying like hell to squeeze a 27" panel in simply for the sake of wide/cheap selection but... I have 36 inches of linear width to accomodate my standing desk/till setup, that is probably closer to 34" if I want it to be comfortable. even a super-minimal bezel on a 27" panel eats 24 of them and I can't see poo poo!

E: can’t see poo poo around the sides / to the front of the store. I am used to funky scaling my laptop is a xps13 at native 1920x1200

Sorry, I’m a touch confused; you’re buying a monitor to use at your job where you run a cash register? Why are you being expected to replace the business’s screen?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Branch Nvidian posted:

Sorry, I’m a touch confused; you’re buying a monitor to use at your job where you run a cash register? Why are you being expected to replace the business’s screen?

I believe they are buying the store, not buying for the store owned by someone else.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rexxed posted:

I believe they are buying the store, not buying for the store owned by someone else.

Correct, I am the owner and sole employee, so in the 75% of the time I'm there during which I'm not selling jug vodka to assholes, I will be gaming and posting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thanks for all the advice.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Correct, I am the owner and sole employee, so in the 75% of the time I'm there during which I'm not selling jug vodka to assholes, I will be gaming and posting.

Ah, okay. My reading comprehension must be going to poo poo. Anyway, Best Buy as a refurbished S2417DG for $271 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6378713.p?skuId=6378713, which is pretty much the best option I can find in your needed specs unless that AOC monitor mentioned up thread does become available in NA.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I can think of two possible alternatives for a smaller monitor, depending on how the till is arranged. You could put the monitor 45° to the side and turn in you chair to do customer service. Or put the monitor on an arm so you can easily push it to the side. I used to work on a desk where the monitors were at an 45° diagonal with tables on either side and it was a pretty good arrangement.

I feel the 45° option could be better than a smaller monitor. It would be less in the way between you and the customer, customers might prefer that. And at that angle you should still easily spot movement from the side of your eye. Although you probably want to have even clearer indication of arriving customer. Maybe setup a system where the monitor automatically switches input to a separate cashier computer whenever the door opens.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Branch Nvidian posted:

Ah, okay. My reading comprehension must be going to poo poo. Anyway, Best Buy as a refurbished S2417DG for $271 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6378713.p?skuId=6378713, which is pretty much the best option I can find in your needed specs unless that AOC monitor mentioned up thread does become available in NA.

You're fine, I just crammed too many multiple thoughts into my first description of the situation. Thank you for the suggestion!

Saukkis posted:

I can think of two possible alternatives for a smaller monitor

Yeah I'm kinda mocking this up as I think things through, the counter here is a fat boomerang shape with a flat front

code:
          ___
       /       \
Each section is 3 feet wide, 25" deep. The monitor/till is on the middle section where I'm adding a standing desk. I can serve out both of the sides, this helps people with a place to put their bottles and I can be working on two transactions in quick succession.

I have a couple accessories (card reader, receipt printer, scanner holster etc) that I'd like to keep at hand on the right side of the desk, so I think having a large monitor left-justified will work, slight angle maybe towards me so I don't have to turn my head a ton. I'll grab a hunk of 25x15 cardboard to see what it does to visibility.

sorry to turn thread into ergonomics chat, but I appreciate y'alls input very much!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Copped a LG Ultragear 32GP83B for when diablo dropped. It was fine I guess. I'll prob return it today it's not worth $400