Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Didn't like 75% of Arkane's personel leave during Redfall's development? The studio that made Dishonored and Prey is gone already. They might salvage the name, but it ain't ever going to be the same again.

Yeah. The people responsible for the good games are already gone. It's just the name at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Redfall's numbers are worse than Wurm loving Online's lmao

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Deathloop disappointed most because I assumed you had to set up some Rube Goldberg-ish chain of events to get the eight targets in the right place at the right time, while in reality it's like "half of them can only be killed in this specific time period because they are unreachable otherwise, the other half are all in the same party in the last time period so just go hog wild with guns"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jack Trades posted:

Deathloop is what happens when you take Dishonored and rip out all of it's interesting mechanics and powers. Literally every power besides Blink is just a variation on "press button to kill man" and once you get access to a silenced weapon all pretenses of a challenge just leaves the game because the AI is completely braindead.

The hilarious part is that everything you're attributing to Deathloop is a complaint I had about Dishonored or close enough.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Omi no Kami posted:

Has anyone tried Edge of Eternity? It's been on my wishlist for a while, and it's one of those things where "7/10 JRPG" can either be awesome or incredibly terrible and it's tough to tell which from reviews.

It's been on my wishlist for a while as well. I always look for negative reviews, those can more better articulate possible problems and issues than positive ones.

The reviews say that it was a small team who was overly ambitious and so stretched content out to make the game seem longer than it actually should be. There are also scattered reports of game-breaking bugs which have been unfixed since being reported two years ago. The negative reviews are generally unimpressed by the story and combat.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Prey has a great shotgun, and the worst part about that was people upset "Being able to kill things with a shotgun is overpowered and you get too much loot" instead of accepting the real problem with "There are already four corpses of the super alien within 20 feet of me, another one is coming. Leave me alone I didn't even take alien powers this run!"

Which reminds of the trend where most people who think the player gets too much salvage, are usually the same people that want ten times as many walking piles of salvage to attack you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The 7th Guest posted:

Light Fairytale Ep 1 should really be called Light Fairytale Prologue. It's 90 minutes and it ends right when any real bit of story happens. It's an attempt at an indie FF7 without the charm or messaging that makes FF7 a classic. Glad it had a fast-forward button for combat! Grade: D

I think this one's going to end up looking OK once all the episodes are out, but yeah, it's not an incredibly strong start.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Most of the issues with redfall are entirely due to corporate meddling and scope issues, as well as a confused dev process. The studio is fine, they just need coherent direction.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grapplejack posted:

Most of the issues with redfall are entirely due to corporate meddling and scope issues, as well as a confused dev process. The studio is fine, they just need coherent direction.

And I'm sure the execs who did the meddling will be happy to take the fall for the studio.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

they lost 70% of their prey-era staff through the development of redfall, even if the execs take a more hands off approach with their next project they've been ship of theseused into a different studio by now

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 16, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Really isn't the sense I get from this article by Jason Schreier - https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/inside-the-making-of-redfall-xbox-s-latest-misfire-1.1927501

quote:

Development of Redfall began in 2018. At the time, ZeniMax — the large, privately held owner of Bethesda Softworks — was looking to sell itself. Behind the scenes, the company was encouraging its studios to develop games that could generate revenue beyond the initial sales

According to people familiar with the process, ZeniMax was strongly urging developers at its subsidiaries to implement microtransactions — that is, recurring opportunities within games for players to spend real money, say, outfitting their characters. Although this wasn’t an absolute mandate, several ZeniMax franchises such as Fallout, Doom and Wolfenstein would soon release new versions incorporating online multiplayer and monetization options.

At Arkane’s headquarters in Austin, Harvey Smith and Ricardo Bare, respected industry veterans, were tapped to serve as co-directors of Redfall. Following the commercially unsuccessful release of its sci-fi shooter Prey a year earlier, leadership across the company wanted to make something more broadly appealing. What eventually emerged was the idea to make a multiplayer game in which users would team up to battle vampires and perhaps pay for occasional cosmetic upgrades.

Developers under Smith and Bare said the two leads were outwardly excited but as the project progressed failed to provide clear direction. Staff members said that, over time, they grew frustrated with management’s frequently shifting references to other games, such as Far Cry and Borderlands, that left each department with varying ideas of what exactly they were making. Throughout the development, the fundamental tension between single-player and multiplayer design remained unresolved.

It really seems to me like those 2 just wanted to make Daddy Zenimax proud rich but had no real idea how to do that. They knew what was popular, but not why, or even whether there was enough space to actually support yet another psuedo live service online coop shooter.

Like nothing further in the article talks about "corporate meddling" other than the initial foundation of, "Hey wouldn't it be just great if you guys put MTX in your games?". The game was just a series of underbaked ideas cribbing off different popular series with no unifying, cohesive vision.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

Has anyone tried Edge of Eternity? It's been on my wishlist for a while, and it's one of those things where "7/10 JRPG" can either be awesome or incredibly terrible and it's tough to tell which from reviews.

I wouldn't call it terrible, but it's definitely not awesome. A decent indie RPG tho, and it's on gamepass if you have that

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eh I mean there’s no way to get the sense from any article at what the internal pressures of the time were at Zenimax. Even if they aren’t made explicit. I had plenty of “optional” practices and workouts back in high school basketball and everyone went to every one of them because we knew we wouldn’t be playing if we skipped one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No Wave posted:

jeez. these are Artifact tier numbers.

By comparison I looked up Hi-Fi Rush, another Gamepass release that came out 5 months before Redfall with no multiplayer, and that has about ~360 concurrent players now. Sheesh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sab669 posted:

It really seems to me like those 2 just wanted to make Daddy Zenimax proud rich but had no real idea how to do that. They knew what was popular, but not why, or even whether there was enough space to actually support yet another psuedo live service online coop shooter.

Like nothing further in the article talks about "corporate meddling" other than the initial foundation of, "Hey wouldn't it be just great if you guys put MTX in your games?". The game was just a series of underbaked ideas cribbing off different popular series with no unifying, cohesive vision.

That article was eerily similar to Anthem, in which one's natural instinct would be to blame Evil EA for corporate meddling and imposing a live service model upon Bioware, except Bioware themselves wanted those features and it was the EA executive who had the one good idea in the entire game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

That article was eerily similar to Anthem, in which one's natural instinct would be to blame Evil EA for corporate meddling and imposing a live service model upon Bioware, except Bioware themselves wanted those features and it was the EA executive who had the one good idea in the entire game.

The reference to "Arkane magic" was way too on-the-nose

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I'm pretty sure they were the studio that did Prey, so it's not necessarily like it was "the B team" of the 2 Arkane studios

Why can't studios just walk away from a failed project. Did they sell a season pass and are obligated to make DLC or some dumb poo poo? Even they fix all the jank, it still just wasn't an interesting game.

edit; the last actual sentence of the article provides much more context for that "It was a miss, but how big of a miss" statement: "It was a miss, but how much of a miss?" Booty concluded, adding it gets "good play" on Xbox Game Pass.

I think I read a support studio, Roundhouse, is taking over bug fixing and patches and the only thing Arkane is doing are some dlc characters that were promised. Probably already starting the next game at this point.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
When your owners come knocking suggesting you put MTX in your game, that't not a "suggestion".

It sounds like the Microtransaction were the entire raison d'etre for the game. That's certainly one way to create an artistic void.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
If you're like me, and have had Death Stranding on your wishlist for years, the Director's Cut version is 50% off today! For US, that makes it $19.99.

Question though, is it a good port on PC? That would be the version I get, as I don't have a PS5.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I totally understand if they felt pressured to bring those 'suggestions' to fruition, I've been in similar spot as a programmer in a company trying to get sold, but again the article states "the two leads were outwardly excited but as the project progressed failed to provide clear direction"

Which to me suggests if the 2 were quietly/privately saying, "This is the dumbest loving poo poo what are we doing", the sources who spoke to Schreier probably would have included that fact.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

raven77 posted:

If you're like me, and have had Death Stranding on your wishlist for years, it's 50% off today! For US, that makes it $19.99.

Question though, is it a good port on PC? That would be the version I get, as I don't have a PS5.

It ran just fine on my PC.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

raven77 posted:

If you're like me, and have had Death Stranding on your wishlist for years, the Director's Cut version is 50% off today! For US, that makes it $19.99.

The port’s extremely good actually

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

Hwurmp posted:

It ran just fine on my PC.

Owl Inspector posted:

The port’s extremely good actually

Good enough reason for me to just snatch it up then, thanks!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

raven77 posted:

It's currently running great for me. There's a some chug in some places and circumstances, but my PC is also getting old (about 7 years-ish? and it was pretty mid-range when I got it) and it's trying to keep track of a lot of stuff, so... fair. I've got over a hundred hours of obsessive apocalypse meandering and don't think it's crashed once yet.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

raven77 posted:

its a great port, runs really well, and even has proper DualSense functionality on PC like haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and you can set what device the BB's audio outputs to (it comes out of the controller speakers on PS5)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

raven77 posted:

I played it on PC and didn't notice any port issues before dropping it. My problem with the game is that the first several hours of the game are the MC saying "that's a terrible idea. I will never do that. Talk a long walk off a short cliff." And then the next gameplay segment requires you to go do that stupid thing. Maybe it gets better eventually but I wasn't willing to push through and find out.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

LLSix posted:

I played it on PC and didn't notice any port issues before dropping it. My problem with the game is that the first several hours of the game are the MC saying "that's a terrible idea. I will never do that. Talk a long walk off a short cliff." And then the next gameplay segment requires you to go do that stupid thing. Maybe it gets better eventually but I wasn't willing to push through and find out.

yeah I've had in on my wishlist for years, and when Steam sent me that email about it, I realized I had more than enough steam bucks to cover it, so why not! Thanks for the warning though, I did want to know any criticisms ahead of time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

LLSix posted:

If you didn't like the beginning you probably wouldn't like the rest of it. There's definitely character development related to the story but your general demeanor doesn't really change outside of some cutscenes at the very end.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Sam has his reasons for going along with it, though he does object to it a lot early on because he also has his reasons for hating going along with it. He kind of hates most of these people but he's also settled into, "A job's a job." And it gives him an excuse to keep the baby.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SGF demos

Surmount is pretty silly fun, and I'll have to play Jusant to see how it compares, as Surmount's climbing gameplay is more arcadey and reminds me of Heave Ho, where you are planting your hands on the wall (one for each trigger button) and then flinging yourself around. You can also find spots to tether yourself to so you won't fall and lose major progress (ie Getting Over It). The style is also cute, with sort of Mii-adjacent character creation and easily readable use of color so you always know what is grab-able and what isn't. However, when I finished the tutorial area and went to start the actual roguelite part, the game softlocked on the loading. Woops! I'm not a roguelite-head but this is interesting enough to draw my attention. Grade: B+

Go Go Town is not quite what I was expecting. I figured Go Go Town was Animal Crossing with far more town management, but the reality is that this game is purely town management that you just so happen to be able to run around in. Yes, you chop trees and mine rocks, but there is no life sim progression here, the tools are just there for you to pick up, use, and put back down when you're done. And the furnaces/machines are already there (although this might just be a demo consideration). So what is the actual gameplay? Largely, opening up shops and functions around the town, which involves paying for and marking an area of land, then gathering the resources to build the building. Lastly assigning a role to the building, a worker to the building, and deciding on what it will sell. These items also require resources so you'll be doing more gathering and then dropping them off at the stores so they can, well, operate, and put some money back into your town's budget. There is also automation where you hire workers to gather resources for you, which I imagine will be pretty important the larger your town gets. I dunno if this is 100% the game for me, it's an odd feel so far. I don't know if being a character running around is all that useful for a game like this, vs just being a point and click god-style interface like your average builder. Grade: C

Welp, I played the Steamworld Build demo for over an hour so that must mean it's at least pretty good. It checks a lot of boxes for me, by mixing the city building and resource gathering of a traditional builder with the additional mining component that is inherited from the Dig series. Yeah you're clicking to dig on cubey tiles rather than jumping around and digging yourself, but it's still similar enough that it works well with the building gameplay. This is a story-based builder so you're gonna be hunting down 6 pieces of a rocket ship in the full game, and I presume that means multiple floors of the mine, as well as expanding your town beyond what was just available to you in the demo. Only question is just how long is the game going to be? I got the first piece of rocket after an hour, so... surely a city builder's not gonna have a 6-7 hour campaign? But then again, Steamworld games are not known for being super long either, usually in that 10-12 hour range. So I guess the price point will be pretty important on this one. Grade: A

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Do you need any of the Don't Starve Together DLC ?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

fit em all up in there posted:

Do you need any of the Don't Starve Together DLC ?
As far as I'm aware, the paid Don't Starve Together DLC is all either cosmetics and/or character unlocks, and are more to quickly obtain them at that, because there are in-game ways to unlock things through grind/trading instead. The wiki says it takes about 5-ish weeks of moderate playtime to afford one character unlock, of which there are four. All real gameplay additions for DST have been free, in contrast with the original Don't Starve, which has DLC expansions (and is a separate game branch).

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

so BattleBit Remastered came out the other day and it might be the best battlefield game ever made.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
battlebit remastered is incredible and in less than a month its going to become one of those games with a thread that rarely leaves the first two pages of the games subforum

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Are there other modes than 254 players? It was too chaotic when I tried the beta.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

err posted:

Are there other modes than 254 players? It was too chaotic when I tried the beta.

yeah, the game supports 254/128/64/32 player game modes

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
EA getting their lunch stolen by a game made by 3 people is hilarious

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Private Speech posted:

I think there is some fan patch for Arx, but yeah it is pretty janky, even when it was released it was a retro-ish game based on Ultima Underworld.
Arx Libertatis fixes bugs and updates the engine to better support modern systems, along with native Mac and Linux builds.

Wiltsghost posted:

I think I read a support studio, Roundhouse, is taking over bug fixing and patches and the only thing Arkane is doing are some dlc characters that were promised. Probably already starting the next game at this point.
Roundhouse is the studio that the Human Head team formed roughly six seconds after they kicked Rune 2 out the door unfinished and bailed harder than anyone has ever bailed before. They have a lot of past history with busted messes (lol remember the quiet man), but not a lot with fixing them afterwards!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I do remember Quiet Man and I wish that I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

battlebit remastered is incredible and in less than a month its going to become one of those games with a thread that rarely leaves the first two pages of the games subforum

This looks really cool. Upsetting that they’re apparently switching to a new anti cheat software that doesn’t live Linux support yet :(

I guess I might have it take the plunge and dual boot again.