Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Skunkduster posted:

Do you know which settings I could turn down to get the greatest FPS improvement?

I don't have U8 myself yet, 9 gigs takes a few hours on my crap internet so I'm waiting to update overnight.

I'd guess by analogy with fortnite that setting TSR to low or balanced will get you a ton of performance? TSR runs the engine at lower internal resolution and then upscales with magic similar to DLSS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Klyith posted:

I don't have U8 myself yet, 9 gigs takes a few hours on my crap internet so I'm waiting to update overnight.

I'd guess by analogy with fortnite that setting TSR to low or balanced will get you a ton of performance? TSR runs the engine at lower internal resolution and then upscales with magic similar to DLSS.

It appears they have different options on how to do the anti-aliasing, but nothing adjustable. I just turned in completely off and the game is running much smoother and I don't see any difference in quality.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Thought I was going to Chernobyl myself immediately upon loading my save on account of them moving the nitrogen node in the Eastern Dune Forest, but it's still extracting without issue.

Makes sense based on what I've heard them say about how things work under the hood in past dev videos. The node was physically moved but it's still considered tapped with those extractors assigned to them.

Overall performance is pretty dire, at least on my rig (TR1950x, 3070, 32GB RAM). Kind of hitchy looking around, a lot of places will be barren of foliage while I'm walking through it and then it will all suddenly pop into existence.

Worse is a major lockup which I'm guessing is happening when transitioning between the new world chunks, the whole HUD will disappear and the game will freeze for 30+ seconds at a time like I hit an autosave. Global illumination looks alright outside for the most part, inside factories is another matter.

Think I'll have to limit it to high or medium if I use it at all, cinematic was giving me sub-60fps even on a new save with a completely empty world. High and medium run alright but a lot of places look strangely dark, even outside in broad daylight. I recall them using some term like "extremely experimental" so I'll give it a bit more time before I go all-in again, it seems rough in its current state.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Interesting, Im sitting here with a 3070 13060 and 32gb ram and im playing in the desert start on Ultra graphics , motion blur, 100% TSR, high illum and global lights @ 2560x1440 and its playing great.

Going to wander around and see what kills my framerate then

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I think my CPU might be the bottleneck for games these days and seems to cause similar problems elsewhere. It was primarily for heavy 3D rendering and never a gaming CPU to begin with but it could generally get by well enough, in more recent games I think it's exacerbating problems like Unreal Engine shader compilation stutter which is a minor annoyance for others but can be utterly crippling on my rig. Might be time to put more serious consideration into an upgrade.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
e: Hmm this seems kinda clickbaity and may not affect Coffee Stain at all.

https://www.polygon.com/23759179/embracer-tomb-raider-lotr-restructure-studio-closures-lay-offs

"Swedish gaming conglomerate Embracer Group, which has been rapidly gobbling up game studios and popular IP over the past few years, will undergo a major restructuring that will require the publisher to close multiple studios and cancel several games. The news comes weeks after it reported that a deal worth $2 billion in income to the company had unexpectedly fallen through."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embracer_Group#Subsidiaries

Not sure how this affects Coffee Stain being part of Embracer.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 14, 2023

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Roundboy posted:

Interesting, Im sitting here with a 3070 13060 and 32gb ram and im playing in the desert start on Ultra graphics , motion blur, 100% TSR, high illum and global lights @ 2560x1440 and its playing great.

Going to wander around and see what kills my framerate then
I'm on a similar setup. 3080, 13600, 32gb. At Ultra settings with Global Illum on high I get okay performance at 2k, but with the occasional stutter when traveling between areas.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
My framerates have crashed with the new update, and I don't even have lumen enabled, between the Satisfactory update and Street Fighter 6 not doing great, I may have to concede that my Kaby Lake processor is obsolescent. Oh well, time to start shopping.

Also, all of my tube accelerators are broken. Now I have to make wasteful linear accellerators.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

A.o.D. posted:

My framerates have crashed with the new update, and I don't even have lumen enabled, between the Satisfactory update and Street Fighter 6 not doing great, I may have to concede that my Kaby Lake processor is obsolescent. Oh well, time to start shopping.

Also, all of my tube accelerators are broken. Now I have to make wasteful linear accellerators.

pretty sure it's not your CPU. mine is at like 50% CPU usage and I still get stutters (though the framerate is a steady 60 as long as I stand perfectly still and look in one direction)

I have way too much RAM in this machine too, is there some way to tell my computer "keep all of these files in the memory cache permanently"?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Forget which stream I heard it in, but somebody said using the NVIDIA studio driver instead of the game ready driver got better performance. I haven’t tried it yet myself though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OgNar posted:

e: Hmm this seems kinda clickbaity and may not affect Coffee Stain at all.

https://www.polygon.com/23759179/embracer-tomb-raider-lotr-restructure-studio-closures-lay-offs

"Swedish gaming conglomerate Embracer Group, which has been rapidly gobbling up game studios and popular IP over the past few years, will undergo a major restructuring that will require the publisher to close multiple studios and cancel several games. The news comes weeks after it reported that a deal worth $2 billion in income to the company had unexpectedly fallen through."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embracer_Group#Subsidiaries

Not sure how this affects Coffee Stain being part of Embracer.

Nah not clickbait, that will definitely affect Coffee Stain. They're just... further down the list of studios that get haircuts.

Also a highly visible member of the team is quitting just now. Jace was for sure safe from being axed in the short term, but he may have decided to leave now based on internal news like a hiring freeze or something. (Or just Satisfactory being almost done, will CS need a dedicated community manager if their next game is a traditional development style?)

Embracer being an unsustainable product of ZIRP easy money is gonna be bad for a whole lot of studios.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm on experimental, I set the game for Tier 3 start but I don't get any research except for the usual Tier 1 research. Do I actually have to do the Tiers 1 and 2 research first?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Did you also change the starting space elevator level? Might need to bump that up to get the unlocks?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

necrotic posted:

Did you also change the starting space elevator level? Might need to bump that up to get the unlocks?

Yup that was it, thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Well, tried U8, but I think I have to go back for a little bit. I'm on linux and U8 only works in vulkan. But satisfactory seems pretty unoptimized for vulkan -- in U7 I get 5-10 less FPS in vulkan. The janky performance of U8 in general plus jank from linux is a bit too much.

Global Illumination is so goddamn pretty that I don't think I can not use it. But oh god, the framerate. Also I will need to go back through everything I've built and add more lights and signs.

lmao the big hogs now throw rocks at you now.

(also they went around and added a lot of new monster spawns in various areas that didn't have many before, beware of monsters in your bases)

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Remember you can adjust internal res down if you are using TSR antialiasing. It looks pretty drat good at balanced with the slight issue of ghosting around steam clouds at factory buildings.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Are they still talking about adding a story mode to the game? Any timeline?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

teacup posted:

Are they still talking about adding a story mode to the game? Any timeline?

Story is only going to be added when the game finally hits its 1.0 release. No timeline for when that will be and there's still the chance of more major updates between now and then.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can't wait to finally put an end to having a robot say Hᴀʀᴠᴇsᴛ. Iᴛ.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Back to U8 again. I couldn't keep working on any major projects with the update in the back of my head, and I didn't have anything else I felt like doing.

Finally tried out using DX11 instead of Vulkan, and got a major performance improvement. What the heck.

Man whoever made the Nuke Hogs is really in love with them. I thought they'd be a fairly rare boss monster, kinda like the Mega-Poison-Spider. But the things are all over the place, and they're pretty annoying to deal with.

Recently I've not been bothering to carry a rifle around, because the rebar gun is good enough. Quartz & stun ammo is very effective and you get utility with explosive. Nuke hogs are a big gently caress-you if you don't have a rifle. You can't use bat or shotgun on them, and they're insane damage sponges vs explosive rebar. I hate using explosive rebar in combat anyways.

Also they took the fart rocks being destructible as permission to put them loving everywhere. I dunno, it seems pointless. Just more things to blow up and destroy all the scenery.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Can you change renderer on Windows?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ymgve posted:

Can you change renderer on Windows?

Yes, they have options in video settings for DX11, DX12, and Vulkan. DX11 is the default for compatibility reasons, but DX12 is pretty clearly the one they want you to use.

DX11 is now marked "legacy" and has a pop-up suggesting you not use it. Vulkan is marked "experimental"; it has some small bugs and I think the devs are just using UE's built in functions to recompile their DX shaders for vulkan and not doing any tuning themselves.

But I'm on Linux and playing via Steam-Proton, so there's additional complications. When U8 launched neither DX11 or DX12 were working, and the game would only launch if you forced vulkan with a commandline argument. DX11 works now, but DX12 is still kaput. This is all probably a Proton problem and not reflective on the Windows experience.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I restarted with U8 and I'm trying to layout my first coal plant without most things unlocked pretty wise and it's annoying

I just need the power, but I know I'm going to come back and redo it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Started playing U8 yesterday on a buddy's server. 3070 RTX, 32GB RAM, Ryzen 5700. Everything seems to be holding at least 60fps on Ultra with high illumination and no reflections just fine. We don't have buildable lights unlocked yet tho so I expect that will rapidly change

also oh god i have no idea how to make good blueprints send help (i'd rather not just copy someone else's poo poo, but inspiration is good)

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Roundboy posted:

I restarted with U8 and I'm trying to layout my first coal plant without most things unlocked pretty wise and it's annoying

I just need the power, but I know I'm going to come back and redo it.

Satisfactory: I know I'm going to come back and redo it

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

New merch, including Snutt and Jace body pillows :v:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroicreplicas/satisfactory-its-a-ficsmas-miracle

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Update 8 cripples my poor 1060. With the exact same settings my fps has halved and frame time doubled :suicide: I reckon it's all that fog.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I think it's more that all those mountains are Nanite now

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

They run down some things you can do to try and help improve performance on update 8 in this video they released earlier today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H79BTIrlbc&t=727s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Huh, I didn't realize Lumen support was, er, unsupported. Wonder if they'll change their minds on committing to that at some point, at least for performance if they don't want to mess with visuals

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I haven’t had a chance to try the new release. Are they going to have to raise the minimum system requirements?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Ciaphas posted:

Huh, I didn't realize Lumen support was, er, unsupported. Wonder if they'll change their minds on committing to that at some point, at least for performance if they don't want to mess with visuals

Lumen is very explicitly messing with visuals and nothing but messing with visuals. Ray-traced global illumination isn't likely to be something done for performance any time soon, even the hacky real-time VPL stuff appearing in games.

That's not to say thar Coffee Stain won't support it, I think presumably that's a goal since they took the time to put Lumen in the game. Doing so seems to have involved a decent amount of effort to get emissives working, some geometry tweaks to make the SDFs not leak like sieves, etc. I wonder how much Epic are pushing adaptation; Satisfactory seems like a good test for how flexible the system is so I assume the Epic engineers are curious to see how it works out.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Lumen makes the game absolutely beautiful and runs great on my system. It's making me redesign entire factories as I unlock lights

I want to surround a factory with bright upward facing spotlights in different single colors to identify them from a distance

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Lumen is gonna remain unofficial because the world and all the art assets were designed without lumen and they're not gonna go back and revamp everything to fit with it.

The fact that you can make stuff look good with enough effort and abuse of sign emissives isn't good enough. If it was designed for lumen it should look at least ok with no effort at all. Like, most machines would have integrated lights and stuff

Clark Nova posted:

I haven’t had a chance to try the new release. Are they going to have to raise the minimum system requirements?

They already did so, just before U8 released. The new GPU minimum is a 1650, it used to be a 700-something. Mainly for 4gb of vram.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Xerophyte posted:

Lumen is very explicitly messing with visuals and nothing but messing with visuals. Ray-traced global illumination isn't likely to be something done for performance any time soon, even the hacky real-time VPL stuff appearing in games.

That's not to say thar Coffee Stain won't support it, I think presumably that's a goal since they took the time to put Lumen in the game. Doing so seems to have involved a decent amount of effort to get emissives working, some geometry tweaks to make the SDFs not leak like sieves, etc. I wonder how much Epic are pushing adaptation; Satisfactory seems like a good test for how flexible the system is so I assume the Epic engineers are curious to see how it works out.

Klyith posted:

Lumen is gonna remain unofficial because the world and all the art assets were designed without lumen and they're not gonna go back and revamp everything to fit with it.
i meant "will they do performance improvements or bug fixes for lumen that don't require touching art/lighting assets" but i guess that's more on the Epic side now that I think about it

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 17, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

anyway I have a question: sometimes when i place splitters/mergers on belts it just automatically connects up those two slots; other times it won't attach, leaving me confused when the other two sides don't work later. Same kind of thing with lifts, too, especially when connecting to a splitter/merger. Is there some trick i'm missing to make it work consistently?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Point at the belt, not at the ground.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hmmm, it appears that a cyclotron / hyperloop cannon in U8 is going to be... difficult. The thing that made them work was the game glitching you past an entrance when going fast enough, which put you in range of an outer entrance.

So far all I can make it do are loops that spins up and then drops speed back to normal, or ones that accelerate forever.

OTOH I have discovered that UE5 has some new and interesting effects when going ludicrous speed.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

You've gone to plaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Lumen looks good but without more light source options I think I'll keep it off.

I'm sure someone will get on that soon anyway

The one sweater looks amazing but I don't want to drop a hundred bucks on a sweater of unknown quality.