Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also this is legit something i've really been appreciating about ff8 thinking on it, entire game about straight romance and sisters and moms. but like, overall ellone is a character motivated by her own stuff whose arc alongside squall feels pretty natural and equal, selphie is really funny and always capable of doing crazy poo poo just cause she can, quistis at worst gets one mildly goofy bit and doesn't make a huge impact on the party dynamic but nothing about her feels specifically bad or like it's arbitrarily painting her in a bad light, rinoa's relationship with squall is genuinely sweet and funny and they do a good job ultimately making it clear why they both like each other and why their relationship is something they're both pretty equal in, even edea is pretty cool and i like that her no longer being possessed doesn't mean she totally loses her ability to fight, it's fun having her join the party briefly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vermain posted:

i was one of the unfortunate few who thought they looked like a doofus because i misread the eye slit as a mouth and the hat decorations as eyes, so i went through the whole game seeing this

This is a rabbid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vermain posted:

the second or third most popular league of legends champ with women is miss fortune, whose splash art looks like this

i think the backlash over the objectification of women in games ended up overshooting in parts of the discourse to create this weirdly puritanical idea that women don't like playing sexy characters instead of them not liking it when the only women in a game are there purely as attractive plot devices or trophies

I think there was also a minor furor about oversexulization and such that was 'Can we get some other designs for ladies besides supermodel/PowerGirl?'

Vermain posted:

i always thought gogo was kinda "eh" in FF6, especially in a game that you can break over your knee accidentally as it is

Yeah but Gogo's at least optional. FF6 is kind of an odd one because technically most of the characters are optional in the second half of the game. Even if Relm's your last character, you get her and immediately one shot Ultros which is a fantastic introduction for an artist.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RareAcumen posted:

I think there was also a minor furor about oversexulization and such that was 'Can we get some other designs for ladies besides supermodel/PowerGirl?'

im saying this, and the other design i want is "office lady"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

im saying this, and the other design i want is "office lady"

All my notes just say 'Tomboy' over and over, sometimes written on top of each other

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The sexiest adult league of legends character is whoever I currently play, the least sexy is whichever one you are stomping me with. This is basic science.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

it was when they released zyra, diana, and syndra in a row, all of whom had hourglass figures and a very bad case of sameface, though that era's long since passed, and now part of their MO is creating champions like gwen who are specifically meant to appeal to women and get them to try a role (top) that they might otherwise not want to touch because 90% of the roster up there is monster men

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vermain posted:

women and get them to try a role (top)

must.... resisitt.... urge.... to make.... sex joke....

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vermain posted:

it was when they released zyra, diana, and syndra in a row, all of whom had hourglass figures and a very bad case of sameface, though that era's long since passed, and now part of their MO is creating champions like gwen who are specifically meant to appeal to women and get them to try a role (top) that they might otherwise not want to touch because 90% of the roster up there is monster men

No, I don't mean just League of Legends, I meant in general. For every game and also animation. The options for female character figures should be broader than The Incredibles

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

must.... resisitt.... urge.... to make.... sex joke....

"so, uh... you a top or a bottom?"
[staring directly at wall] "jungle."

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Games can absolutely use more diverse body types and character types for all characters and probably should be where the conversation goes but it always go back to fanservice

At the very least Games where you can customize your character should have way more options. Capcom's avatar creation in SF6 is great and I'd like to see it and the World Tour mode fully fleshed out as a stand alone game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm 20 hours into xenoblade 2 and the main story is telling me to go to some old factory but the one path I can find that leads there is filled with level 80+ guys and I've spent an hour trying to get.past them. I think I might be stupid.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Tactic Ogre, Fire Emblem, and Suikoden aside (because the character roster is too big to think about for me) I'm struggling to think of any character that joins late into a game who isn't at least a little bit rad.

Mauvier in Fire Emblem Engage (idk if that’s even a spoiler, the game itself effectively spoils it in like Chapter 11 through gameplay) isn’t very rad but at the same time it’s almost unfair to count them since their “thing” is being aggressively normal and boring.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm 20 hours into xenoblade 2 and the main story is telling me to go to some old factory but the one path I can find that leads there is filled with level 80+ guys and I've spent an hour trying to get.past them. I think I might be stupid.
theres some pipes you can drop down onto to get around that area iirc? try looking it up on youtube

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Is the Palace of the Dead in Tactics Ogre actually fun to do or is it more of a completionist grind?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
i've only ever seen people say "you should give your characters winged rings and let them autobattle through it"

it's required for CODA though so it's not just completionist grind

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Theres an alternate route, or, you just toggle off enemy aggro until you get inside then turn it back on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

nemesis_hub posted:

Is the Palace of the Dead in Tactics Ogre actually fun to do or is it more of a completionist grind?
Completionist grind but so is most of the post game

Unfortunately it's all necessary if you wanna see the ~true ending~

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mariabell is way cool frankly. The best Trails main antagonist (maybe the only good Trails antagonist) is a lesbian and frankly that's a win.

The way they always put this on tumblr is "we support both women's rights and women's wrongs."

In a more general representation sense, the solution that literally always works is to just have, like, more than one lesbian in your game so you don't get the weird sense that this one person is supposed to represent how we feel about all lesbians everywhere.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Infinite Mana came out in Early Access. I think people were comparing it to Crystal Project here (?), but I dunno if that's just from the style and job system combination. But given that Crystal Project was my favorite game of whenever year it came out, I just wanted to give this a bump and some attention in hopes that it is warranted.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
does the english tl of ff8 have the bit where laguna says "i've always wanted to ride the ragnarok, at least once! our names match, after all!" entirely because, you'd pronounce both their names in japanese with a "raguna"

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I know he says the first part about being stoked to ride it but I don't remember him saying the name thing. It has been a while though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he just says the name sounds cool in english, he doesnt link it to his own name

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The name does sound cool, so it doesn't seem out of place.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Laguna is right

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I'd really like to know the background behind that song, because my initial thought is that it's written by someone who wasn't a native English speaker, but at the same time, it comes across like someone was trying to imitate Biz Markie.

From what I gathered the last time I looked into it, the lyrics are just from some track on a sample CD and I guess the one behind this song thought it was good enough

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
LIKE THE ALPHABET, YOU'll C

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's obviously written by an english speaker cause like. the rhymes are conceivable enough that they'd be come up with by someone who knows english. they just also are ridiculous enough that even if you've never listened to a rap before you know nobody would be rappin' this awful.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
STRAIGHT OUTTA BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, I DONT, EAT PORK, OR SWINE, WHEN I DINE
DRINK A CUP OF KOOL-AID, NOT A BIG GLASS OF WINE
IF YOU HAVE TIME, I DROP RHYME AGAIN

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
written by calliope mori

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
LIKE CHEF BOYARDEE, MY RHYME IS TRULY COOKIN

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Vermain posted:

It's amazing how little respect some of these studios have for their players. Like they think they'll recoil in horror from any character that doesn't match their exact ethnicity, gender identity and sexual orientation.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
On one hand people don't need a 1:1 self-insert to engage in everything, on the other hand people do like having options other than white Space Marine, yeah.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean I only play women in video games when I'm given the option to, yeah. that example was literally about opening up a section of a dota, that if I was dead inside enough to play that game, I would never touch because it doesn't have the type of characters I play according to that post

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 17, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FractalSandwich posted:

It's amazing how little respect some of these studios have for their players. Like they think they'll recoil in horror from any character that doesn't match their exact ethnicity, gender identity and sexual orientation.

it's more that their analytics showed that the sort of champs women preferred to play were overwhelmingly not toplaners and trended towards cute or sexy characters like lux, morgana, miss fortune, lulu, etc., and the feedback they received around that was that there weren't any champs in top that had broad visual appeal for that demographic, so gwen came in to fill the void

this kind of considered design has been a historical juggling act because of how global the game is, and aesthetic sensibilities seesaw wildly between regions. they had a big survey they did a couple years back that showed that the kinds of characters westerners found cool were overwhelmingly monsters or big armor guys like mordekaiser, whereas easterners strongly preferred human ninjas/swordsmen/mages/etc.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly if there was a video game character that matched my ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation I would be stoked.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Vermain posted:

it's more that their analytics showed that the sort of champs women preferred to play were overwhelmingly not toplaners and trended towards cute or sexy characters like lux, morgana, miss fortune, lulu, etc., and the feedback they received around that was that there weren't any champs in top that had broad visual appeal for that demographic, so gwen came in to fill the void

this kind of considered design has been a historical juggling act because of how global the game is, and aesthetic sensibilities seesaw wildly between regions. they had a big survey they did a couple years back that showed that the kinds of characters westerners found cool were overwhelmingly monsters or big armor guys like mordekaiser, whereas easterners strongly preferred human ninjas/swordsmen/mages/etc.
Easterners objectively correct as always.

I guess if it's a broader aesthetic thing driven by real information about what your players actually like, rather than pure tokenism, that's not so bad.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Vermain posted:

the second or third most popular league of legends champ with women is miss fortune, whose splash art looks like this

i think the backlash over the objectification of women in games ended up overshooting in parts of the discourse to create this weirdly puritanical idea that women don't like playing sexy characters instead of them not liking it when the only women in a game are there purely as attractive plot devices or trophies

When I think of Miss Fortune the next words are always "blouse taxed to contain her". That's a reference to some old lore that was terrible from the moment it was typed.

The worst case is Kai'Sa. You have the girl who was trapped in "the Void" for a long time. What does she look like after being stuck in a dark, twisted dimension that has spawned several monstrosities that look like they were birthed by elder gods (albeit cartoonish)?

She has a helmet, but you have to toggle it, I don't think it's enabled by default. The cosmetics obviously completely ignore the backstory part altogether and just make her "another girl".

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 17, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

At least give her some tentacles. People love girls with tentacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't really have much to contribute, all I know is that male designs need to be hotter universally and I think some of the discussion was that having variety in how women look between 'short magician like an FF9 black mage' and Jill and Claire Valentine would be nice.

Like even some fighting games that do have exaggerated designs like BlazBlue or Killer Instinct or Guilty Gear don't have many options besides short or average height woman. Not seeing a lot of stuff that stands out as Potempkin, Bedman, Blitztank, or Birdie. Granted, I am admittedly just going off the designs, I don't know what anyone's opinions of the characters are or anything.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 17, 2023