Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Latest patch broke Quick Stack - Store - Sort - Trash - Restock hotkey that dumps my inventory into containers (but not anything else I've seen that mod do). Such a simple thing and now this game is unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

drewhead posted:

Latest patch broke Quick Stack - Store - Sort - Trash - Restock hotkey that dumps my inventory into containers (but not anything else I've seen that mod do). Such a simple thing and now this game is unplayable.

Nah, it is very much playable. Perhaps mod less?

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

drewhead posted:

Ah that is a bummer, we stopped playing after ~15 minutes last time this happened, managing inventory across a bunch of chests is just about the worst "gameplay" in this game. For us the quick-stack mod is pretty much required, though if there was some sort of teleport storage mod where you can link multiple chests across large distances to share a huge inventory it would be an acceptable solution also. My wife is a hoarder and refuses to throw away anything, we have multiple chests of resin, bones, and greydwarf eyes to the point that I throw a bunch in the river regularly, and then she fishes it out if it's not deep enough. :(

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I will use Valheim+ and then edit the size of chests to the maximum available number of rows and columns. Complete waste of time and source of frustration playing chest-tetris.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Koobze posted:

Ah that is a bummer, we stopped playing after ~15 minutes last time this happened, managing inventory across a bunch of chests is just about the worst "gameplay" in this game. For us the quick-stack mod is pretty much required, though if there was some sort of teleport storage mod where you can link multiple chests across large distances to share a huge inventory it would be an acceptable solution also. My wife is a hoarder and refuses to throw away anything, we have multiple chests of resin, bones, and greydwarf eyes to the point that I throw a bunch in the river regularly, and then she fishes it out if it's not deep enough. :(

Build an obliterator or whatever and convert it all into charcoal, problem soblem

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I want more container types. Turn wood piles and coal stacks into containers that only take the relevant type of item. Make a trash heap item that takes whatever. Fruit/mushroom buckets/baskets!

I like organizing things, I just don't like keeping them organized once I've made that structure. One reason I am looking forward to auto-sort!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We dug a trash pit in a game with friends, and threw all sorts of stuff down in it. A friend of mine fell in when some greydwarfs attacked us in the night, and one of the party got the idea to spartan-kick a greydwarf into the trash-pit with my poor friend who’d fallen in. My friend was freshly respawned and didn’t even have a weapon, so he got to sit down there and try to punch out a greydwarf that couldn’t run away, and the slope was too steep for him to climb. The cursing stopped suddenly with “welp, I’m loving dead again, thanks assholes”.

We didn’t kill the greydwarf, but sooner or later it had to have despawned and our trash guardian was gone :(

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

bird food bathtub posted:

I will use Valheim+ and then edit the size of chests to the maximum available number of rows and columns. Complete waste of time and source of frustration playing chest-tetris.

I did not realize this was an option but it's a good one. It might be too late now - and I'm not sure what would happen if I just enable it, and if the mod breaks is all the extra stuff gone?
But honestly the bigger need for me is to have linked chests somehow, I always end up having a few bases and wish I could just stick a chest in each one and have the inventory shared between the bases. Ideally it's one infinite chest linked in multiple spots, so I can just use the "craft from chest" part of Valheim+ and build anything at any base, I'm using the mod that gives you advanced portals to allow teleporting metals already so really the physical location of my junk is just slowing me down when I want to build and go.

I am not sure where this bug comes from but a few times somehow I've become unable to pick things up from the ground, but they are still attracted to me, so after chopping a bunch of trees I suddenly become a ball of spinning wood and you can't even see my character.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Koobze posted:

I did not realize this was an option but it's a good one. It might be too late now - and I'm not sure what would happen if I just enable it, and if the mod breaks is all the extra stuff gone?

You just have to take care to not launch the game after a patch download, until the mod has been updated. Otherwise, you run the chance of the original game logic deleting anything that exists outside of the stack size/chest size that are considered default.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Koobze posted:

Temp fix until mod is updated: Install Multi User Chests https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/1766 on both client and server. It seems some networking changes broke Quick Stack and multi user chests fixed that.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The public-test branch updated with the Hildir's Fashionsouls (and I guess snapping stuff).

Haven't found a Hildir yet.

New snapping and no build cost seem cool. I don't even need materials in my inventory to build stuff. World is listed as "Casual+" for turning everything off and just messing around in sandbox mode.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Andrigaar posted:

Haven't found a Hildir yet.

Presumably you need to generate new terrain where she can spawn. Which if those are anything like the original trader location(s), may or may not be available to be freshly generated.

Did the devs make any comment on that?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Between an old save that had its map reveal reset to zero by the Mistlands release version and a new world I had just generated, I've spent 60-90 minutes look for Hildir and haven't seen a thing. A friend I play with was skimming a Discord server, I think the official one actually, and mentioned the following about her spawn:

-Multiple locations like the Merchant, first one you find seals off the others as well.
-Should appear in a 5km space around spawn. If that's 5kmsq or a 2.5km radius, I don't remember how it was phrased to me second hand.
-Only supposed to spawn in the meadows.

Seed viewer hasn't had a chance to be updated yet either. Another heads up, any toon you take into a world on this test branch won't show on the normal build's pick screen anymore. You'll have to roll back your cloud save or wait.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Andrigaar posted:

Between an old save that had its map reveal reset to zero by the Mistlands release version and a new world I had just generated, I've spent 60-90 minutes look for Hildir and haven't seen a thing. A friend I play with was skimming a Discord server, I think the official one actually, and mentioned the following about her spawn:

-Multiple locations like the Merchant, first one you find seals off the others as well.
-Should appear in a 5km space around spawn. If that's 5kmsq or a 2.5km radius, I don't remember how it was phrased to me second hand.
-Only supposed to spawn in the meadows.

Seed viewer hasn't had a chance to be updated yet either. Another heads up, any toon you take into a world on this test branch won't show on the normal build's pick screen anymore. You'll have to roll back your cloud save or wait.
She actually spawns between 3000 and 5100 meters from the spawn.

btw, Upgrade World mod already supports adding new patch locations

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 19, 2023

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Philonius posted:

Japanese castles have been done before, but I decided to go all in and do a full scale castle complex. Preparing the groundworks took me about 20 hours. I reckon I need at least 3000 tar for the roofs once I start putting the buildings up (the shogun heard you like roofs dawg, so he put some roofs on his roofs). Luckily there's a large plains biome right next door :shepicide:

Trip report :

Most of the main buildings are up, crafting, food, portal building all up and running, and still pulling good framerates. Once I finish the final guard tower I'll see how far I can push it with decorations. Thatched roof for now, I haven't found any tar pits yet.

In unrelated news, I'm sure glad buildings can't burn down in this game

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Philonius posted:

Trip report :

Most of the main buildings are up, crafting, food, portal building all up and running, and still pulling good framerates. Once I finish the final guard tower I'll see how far I can push it with decorations. Thatched roof for now, I haven't found any tar pits yet.

In unrelated news, I'm sure glad buildings can't burn down in this game

Yeeeesssssss love it. I'm impressed you managed to get the terrain so consistent for the foundations/plinths.

And you're doing this in survival? Sweet jesus I hope you like chopping trees.

Edit: any chance you could post the world file when it's done so I can see it up close? I'll trade my castle build world

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 20, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
To me this game is a house builder and resource gatherer first, second, third, fourth, fifth and 6th and maybe the PVE stuff can clock in at 7. Managing and keeping an inventory of items is a significant part of the gameplay to me to the point where it feels weird that people mod it out.

The only thing more important than managing supplies and ease of use for the forge and workshop area is *reverentially* the kitchen.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good visualization of how far the range on the map is to find the new lady? I know it's 3,000 to 5,000 units but I don't know how to measure that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Te map is 20km in diameter, so it's between 1/3 of the way to the edge and halfway to the edge.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Will Hilga spawn in an area that's already been generated or is it like new biomes where you have to have not been there before?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Will Hilga spawn in an area that's already been generated or is it like new biomes where you have to have not been there before?

All the new stuff is new generation only iirc

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hmm.

I think I might actually do a new world save. Pray for me.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
You can try Upgrade World mod (unless you play on console) to add new stuff to an existing world (and explored areas)

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Are there any major expansions on the horizon i should wait for before doing a new world?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ZombieCrew posted:

Are there any major expansions on the horizon i should wait for before doing a new world?

They are working on Ashlands but no clear ETA.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Vacation time is coming so don't expect any updates and (even more) minimal communication during July.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

They are working on Ashlands but no clear ETA.

Given their history, I'd be shocked if Ashlands came in calendar year 23.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm just glad they're working on updates. It seemed kind of up in the air for a while whether they'd ever finish the game, but now it's looking pretty solid, even if it's taking a while.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jabarto posted:

I'm just glad they're working on updates. It seemed kind of up in the air for a while whether they'd ever finish the game, but

:what:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I appreciate how thoughtful Iron Gate have been towards development of new content. Mistlands was beautiful and so unlike nearly everything else in the game up to that point. The current beta has a ton of QoL changes that alleviate a lot of pain points for new players or even veteran players that just want to speed through grindy black forest/swamp content they've already done, in addition to sprinkling additional stuff to find in the old biomes. From what we've seen, I have a lot of faith that Ashlands is going to be huge and offer unique gameplay as Mistlands did (castle sieges!? :letsgo: ).

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

There were repeated, multi-page arguments in this thread about the update schedule for like 8 months after the game's launch, I don't know how you missed it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think anyone ever thought the game's future was "up in the air". There were a couple of goons insinuating that the devs were lazy and scammers, maybe they did. That's what the arguments seemed to be about.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 25, 2023

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I still think the mistlands are a huge miss, but the new server options are pretty much everything i wanted from the devs

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I've just hit the plains for the first time. My mates and I never hold out long enough to get that deep into this game but it's been fun.

I made the decision to setup our main base in a big swamp and surprisingly it's paid off big. Turned out the entire island was nothing but swamp and 10% plains so it's free iron and black metal wherever we go.

Only time it ran into trouble was an event where a troll with a loving tree branch popped in to say hello with a single swing. Naturally my mates were afk in the base and did not hear me yelling on mic so I had to lead the trolls away and managed to get them distracted on draugr.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ErKeL posted:

I've just hit the plains for the first time. My mates and I never hold out long enough to get that deep into this game but it's been fun.

I made the decision to setup our main base in a big swamp and surprisingly it's paid off big. Turned out the entire island was nothing but swamp and 10% plains so it's free iron and black metal wherever we go.

Only time it ran into trouble was an event where a troll with a loving tree branch popped in to say hello with a single swing. Naturally my mates were afk in the base and did not hear me yelling on mic so I had to lead the trolls away and managed to get them distracted on draugr.

Abominations will usually win vs a troll but not by a whole lot, and whoever survives is an easy victim :twisted:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't think anyone ever thought the game's future was "up in the air". There were a couple of goons insinuating that the devs were lazy and scammers, maybe they did. That's what the arguments seemed to be about.

Nah. That the game’s future was up in the air is a pretty uncontroversial take. The laziness argument was always dumb but there was always grounds to doubt on the basis of them being an absolutely tiny studio.

Fortunately things are looking up. The Mistlands are a worthy successor to the best biome in the game, the Swamp.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah. That the game’s future was up in the air is a pretty uncontroversial take. The laziness argument was always dumb but there was always grounds to doubt on the basis of them being an absolutely tiny studio.

Fortunately things are looking up. The Mistlands are a worthy successor to the best biome in the game, the Swamp.

*eye twitches*
Best? Swamp?

It's a very different challenge and a good change of pace that I appreciate....once. Going back over and over for more iron kinda puts a damper on my long term enjoyment of the biome.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

*background howling of the coal farm*

Ahhhh... relaxing.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

ErKeL posted:

This is why you build your swamp base high up in the unbreakable trees! It's a bit finicky getting stone down so you can light a fire but it's fun to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I liked the idea of how you "access" the mistlands but they needed to greatly increase the AOE of the wisp and no delay on the reveal. I found it pretty annoying, especially in combat. also the boss indoor arena was a whiff for me. the mist makes it a hard fight even harder, hampers co-op and sticks out like a sore-thumb after how much of the previous bosses were open spaces and you could potentially do some creative prepping/buidling