Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

MrMojok posted:

Having said all that, is there serious talk about a reboot now, and someone is going to do it all over again?

Nah I don’t think so. There’s “user-added context” on that tweet saying the headline is super misleading, and that reboots aren’t mentioned at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

My biggest gripe with the films is the omission of the Scouring of the Shire.

Yes, it makes the ending longer. Yes, it's not a simple, tidy ending. Yes, it focuses on the hobbits.

That's sort of the point.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the hobbits get magical bonuses against shadow, and that enabled gaffer to oppose the nazgul

on weathertop the nazguls fled because frodo exorcised them with holy words and faith

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
You could come up with an excuse but if Arwen and her brothers are at Helm's Deep it's kind of weird, narratively, for them to not accompany Aragorn & co from then on. Unless you use them to set up the payoff with the Grey Company.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The Nazgûl in the fellowship make sense as an irreplaceable, vulnerable, but very powerful resource that Sauron is carefully conserving. It would be far from impossible for them to be trapped and destroyed by the elves when they’re so far from Mordor, which would be a major loss for Sauron. While their retreat at weathertop is weird, their generally conservative strategy makes sense if you think they’re Sauron’s only shot at stopping the ring from getting so someone who can use it. They’re not even strong enough to attack Bree openly.

By Return of the King, the Nazgûl overwhelm Minas Tirith’s defenses in a couple of days. It’s clear that it was specifically their magical despair that caused the city to not defend itself. Even the gates are broken as much by the witch king’s magic as by the magical battering ram forged specifically to break the gates. The black breath is so powerful it’s lethal for a lot of people to even be generally within sight of them for protracted periods. They definitely feel like a threat in the books, but not in a way that could be visually translated to the screen.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The Nazgûl in the fellowship make sense as an irreplaceable, vulnerable, but very powerful resource that Sauron is carefully conserving. It would be far from impossible for them to be trapped and destroyed by the elves when they’re so far from Mordor, which would be a major loss for Sauron. While their retreat at weathertop is weird, their generally conservative strategy makes sense if you think they’re Sauron’s only shot at stopping the ring from getting so someone who can use it. They’re not even strong enough to attack Bree openly.

By Return of the King, the Nazgûl overwhelm Minas Tirith’s defenses in a couple of days. It’s clear that it was specifically their magical despair that caused the city to not defend itself. Even the gates are broken as much by the witch king’s magic as by the magical battering ram forged specifically to break the gates. The black breath is so powerful it’s lethal for a lot of people to even be generally within sight of them for protracted periods. They definitely feel like a threat in the books, but not in a way that could be visually translated to the screen.

It's really not weird. They didn't expect to get resisted and they achieved their objective which was to wound the ring bearer with the wraith blade. As far as The Witch King knows, Frodo will succumb to that wound long before he gets somewhere safe. They don't realize how remarkably resistant Hobbits are to fading. A man would have been overcome quickly.

Also, if I'm not mistaken it's mentioned that their power waxes as Sauron's does. I think by the time of the siege of Minas Tirith the Witch King and the rest of the nine are more powerful than they were during Fellowship. And they'd be more powerful still if Sauron actually got the ring back.

And while fear is their main weapon (which I think is cool af tbh. Much more interesting than them being unbeatable warriors or whatever) that fear is also more potent when the people they're trying to scare actually know what they are. The Gaffer and most of the other Hobbits that interact with them have no clue just how dangerous they are, so they aren't as scared as they might otherwise be. And that's a big part of why Gildor and Aragorn won't even tell Frodo what they are because while he realizes they're bad news he'd be completely terrified if he recognized just how terrible they are.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1669555884585021442?t=ietT82FylPOiz9hcsHSS3w&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have zero doubts Bakshi is a horndog but lol if he is anywhere close to the biggest one in animation. Gotta disagree with Ropekid on this one.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 16, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gandalf or Aragorn says straight out in the book the 9 would be superheros if Sauron got the ring back

Who knows how much they know tho.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

I have zero doubts Bakshi is a horndog but lol if he is anywhere close to the biggest one in animation. Gotta disagree with Ropekid on this one.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1669591467206283264

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Having Arwen travel to fight at Helm's Deep would have been just as bad a call as having Aragorn fight Sauron sword-to-sword at the Black Gate. Thank goodness both got cut.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I want any new Lotr film to be sparser, spacier, and lean more into the smallness of characters in the world, with the narrative perspective pulled tighter to the hobbits wherever possible, downplaying the action-adventure wherever possible so that when it pops it really pops. Really, as I've aged I've found the providential themes of the text more interesting than the sword and sorcery stuff.

And 40 minutes of Tom Bombadil

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Make it more of an anthology of slow contemplative atmospheric scenes, long landscape shots, and digressions to tell poetically recited stories like Beren and Lúthien or Eärendil, or to lecture about language

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Data Graham posted:

Make it more of an anthology of slow contemplative atmospheric scenes, long landscape shots, and digressions to tell poetically recited stories like Beren and Lúthien or Eärendil, or to lecture about language

Sauronnisqatsi

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Data Graham posted:

The Lord of the Rings: Appendix D: Calendars is coming soon to a theater near you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

webmeister posted:

Sauronnisqatsi

:lol: that would own

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
me reading book 1 in high school: this is kind of boring, do something

me rereading book 1 in my 30s: this loving rules

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I mean I won't kinkshame Josh Sawyer for liking what he likes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Terrence malick guest directs the journey through the old forest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Ben Affleck direct the chapter with Ghân-buri-Ghân

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The entire movie is from the pov of the pukel men

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pukélmon

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Obviously it’s impossible to translate that kind of magical effect in film, but I do think Jackson does a good job in making the Nazgûl seem like extremely dangerous, despairing enemies. The fell beasts flying around picking Gondor soldiers up and dropping them on their compatriots was a really effective way, to me, of showing just how demoralizing going up against these guys are.

The other side of it though, that Gandalf is combating their despair magic with his hope magic, doesn’t translate as well. Watching the series again recently, Gandalf really doesn’t exude the warmth and morale boosting in the second and third movies as much as I’d expect, pretty much when he comes back as Gandalf the White, McKellen kinda plays him as an rear end in a top hat. Except for the scene where he’s comforting Pippin and talking about death, which is very sweet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

An also-good film adaptation of The Lord of the Rings could have made many different decisions about how to translate certain really bookly elements to film.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

huh, i didn't know that he was still alive

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mike N Eich posted:

Obviously it’s impossible to translate that kind of magical effect in film, but I do think Jackson does a good job in making the Nazgûl seem like extremely dangerous, despairing enemies. The fell beasts flying around picking Gondor soldiers up and dropping them on their compatriots was a really effective way, to me, of showing just how demoralizing going up against these guys are.

The other side of it though, that Gandalf is combating their despair magic with his hope magic, doesn’t translate as well. Watching the series again recently, Gandalf really doesn’t exude the warmth and morale boosting in the second and third movies as much as I’d expect, pretty much when he comes back as Gandalf the White, McKellen kinda plays him as an rear end in a top hat. Except for the scene where he’s comforting Pippin and talking about death, which is very sweet.

These are the kinds of things that I think would be better served by pulling the narrative eye back to the hobbits, who are understanding things from the outsider's perspective. Pippin can witness (with the audience looking over his shoulder) the soldiers of Gondor standing strong in formation against a wall of orcs but then breaking into disorder when the Nazgul descend on them, and he can witness Gandalf bringing them together and holding them strong against the same effect later.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CommonShore posted:

These are the kinds of things that I think would be better served by pulling the narrative eye back to the hobbits, who are understanding things from the outsider's perspective. Pippin can witness (with the audience looking over his shoulder) the soldiers of Gondor standing strong in formation against a wall of orcs but then breaking into disorder when the Nazgul descend on them, and he can witness Gandalf bringing them together and holding them strong against the same effect later.

Much like how we'd seen several prior scenes of Frodo being tempted to put on the Ring, accompanied by ominous music and the evil Ring-voice whispering in his ear, followed by things going very badly; but then at the end of Fellowship, he stands there with it in his palm, contemplative, and the music swells hopefully as he closes his hand over it and puts it away and strides forth purposefully.

It's basic filmmaking but it was done drat well

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Mike N Eich posted:

Except for the scene where he’s comforting Pippin and talking about death, which is very sweet.

IIRC McKellan's commentary track says that he thinks that speech is a bunch of bullshit and the kind of thing leaders say to get men to die in war, but they paid him to say it so :lol:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just a film of a hand turning the pages of the book slowly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Omnomnomnivore posted:

IIRC McKellan's commentary track says that he thinks that speech is a bunch of bullshit and the kind of thing leaders say to get men to die in war, but they paid him to say it so :lol:

That's funny because I've used that scene as an illustrative example when teaching about how fantasy and SF are about basic human themes underneath the imaginative elements.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Lol McKellan like his best mate Patrick Stewart in apparently fundamentally misunderstanding his character and material

Still does a drat fine job if it though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Sergei Bondarchuk's Pelennor

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pretty sure Jackson mentioned at one point that the Pelennor scene was inspired by Bondarchuk's films. You can definitely see elements of the Scots Grey's Charge from Waterloo in the Ride of the Rohirrim.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Omnomnomnivore posted:

i can certainly see that perspective. Lord of the Rings is a highly hopeful work and some doesn't translate to our cynical age.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eh, Gandalf the character in the book says it to give hope because he’s a magic angel thing in a world where that poo poo really exists… but in the real world that’s absolutely the kind of thing that leaders have said and still say to amp up young men to die for their causes. So I can understand feeling conflicted about the parallel.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Gandalf doesn’t say that in the book. It’s paraphrased from the narrative of Frodo’s dream in Tom’s house, which then comes true (in the same words) at the end of the book

I don’t think it is very appropriate for Gandalf to say that at that juncture in the movie. Sure maybe that’s what he will see if his physical shape gets cut up by orcs. Pippin otoh will shortly be finding out if hell is real.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

skasion posted:

Gandalf doesn’t say that in the book. It’s paraphrased from the narrative of Frodo’s dream in Tom’s house, which then comes true (in the same words) at the end of the book

I don’t think it is very appropriate for Gandalf to say that at that juncture in the movie. Sure maybe that’s what he will see if his physical shape gets cut up by orcs. Pippin otoh will shortly be finding out if hell is real.

The souls of Men (hobbits presumably included) do go to Valinor for a brief check-in with Mandos before moving on to whatever Eru has purposed for us. We know this because Beren refuses to move on until Luthien arrives in the Halls to persuade Mandos to resurrect them.

Also, I'm pretty sure Pippin hasn't done anything bad enough to warrant time in hell.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Anshu posted:

The souls of Men (hobbits presumably included) do go to Valinor for a brief check-in with Mandos before moving on to whatever Eru has purposed for us. We know this because Beren refuses to move on until Luthien arrives in the Halls to persuade Mandos to resurrect them.

Also, I'm pretty sure Pippin hasn't done anything bad enough to warrant time in hell.

He stole from that farmer and stealing is a sin!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Farmer Maggot forgives him for it does that absolve Pippin's sin?

If Farmer Maggot was able to tell the Nazgul to screw off and he forgives Pippin his sins does that make Maggot Eru Illuvatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Bugblatter posted:

He stole from that farmer and stealing is a sin!

Okay, maybe he has to spend some time in hell as a purgatory-type deal, but it's not gonna be his ultimate destination.