Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just got finished building the NASA Discovery space shuttle after buying it a couple days ago. I like it, and I didn't screw up the cargo bay door stickers too badly. However, it also marks the first time I've had missing/incorrect/damaged pieces. The set is missing a 6020144, instead having an extra 370101. Also there was a damaged piece, a 6179186.

I'm trying to use the customer service portion of the site; is there a way I can take care of both of these problems at the same time? It seems to only let me do one type of request per order. Would calling work better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Meaty Ore posted:

I just got finished building the NASA Discovery space shuttle after buying it a couple days ago. I like it, and I didn't screw up the cargo bay door stickers too badly. However, it also marks the first time I've had missing/incorrect/damaged pieces. The set is missing a 6020144, instead having an extra 370101. Also there was a damaged piece, a 6179186.

I'm trying to use the customer service portion of the site; is there a way I can take care of both of these problems at the same time? It seems to only let me do one type of request per order. Would calling work better?

Try using their chat function on the website. HAve had great results.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Flyinglemur posted:

Try using their chat function on the website. HAve had great results.

Tried that, and it kept wanting me to do either one or the other. I'll probably try calling tomorrow. Neither piece is critical to the build; the damaged piece doesn't clutch well, but it's in a place (the engines) where it doesn't need to connect all that well, and the missing piece add some stability to a connection, but I don't think its absence is going to overly stress anything,

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Koramei posted:

Pretty certain we've had those printed koi before right, either in one of the Ninjago sets or the Spring Festival? Pretty sure I remember placing them somewhere.

Really hyped to see what Himeji Castle ends up being like; torn if I'll end up getting that or this one. The historical architecture sets have been outright my favorites of the past few years.

Kinda disappointing for that amount of pieces tbh

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It probably looks better in person. But yeah, they should have put fewer pieces into the base and focused more on the castle proper.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

RatHat posted:

Kinda disappointing for that amount of pieces tbh

this looks sick, why is this thread so grouchy lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

It probably looks better in person. But yeah, they should have put fewer pieces into the base and focused more on the castle proper.

I mean that is the castle, and the castle grounds.

I remember spending a lot of time in the gardens before entering the castle when I was there, and the walls were a prominent feature.

Solid solid set.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That's the first architecture set I'd consider getting, great subject matter, not ridiculously big like the colosseum. Castles from around the world would be a great line.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Now I wanna watch Ran again.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm trying to use the customer service portion of the site; is there a way I can take care of both of these problems at the same time? It seems to only let me do one type of request per order.

...so just make two requests? It takes a few seconds for each

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Lizard Combatant posted:

That's the first architecture set I'd consider getting, great subject matter, not ridiculously big like the colosseum. Castles from around the world would be a great line.

Taj Mahal not do it for you? I agree the colosseum is way oversized but they’ve been doing this scale for a few years now (pyramids last year) and imo they’re all great. Taj Mahal may be my favorite Lego set, it’s absolutely gorgeous in person.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Koramei posted:

Taj Mahal not do it for you? I agree the colosseum is way oversized but they’ve been doing this scale for a few years now (pyramids last year) and imo they’re all great. Taj Mahal may be my favorite Lego set, it’s absolutely gorgeous in person.

That one had a grid of infinite 1x1 tiles right?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Meaty Ore posted:

Tried that, and it kept wanting me to do either one or the other. I'll probably try calling tomorrow. Neither piece is critical to the build; the damaged piece doesn't clutch well, but it's in a place (the engines) where it doesn't need to connect all that well, and the missing piece add some stability to a connection, but I don't think its absence is going to overly stress anything,

You can talk to a real person through chat, that's most of my job!

The chat bot is mostly there to get the gist of what you need so an advisor can quickly skim your chat and get caught up, and get details needed for GDPR.

The chat bot can't place orders or whatever, if it tells you it'll do something after the chat ends, it'll just send the chat log to an advisor who then does the thing the chat bot promised

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Farnsworth House was really rough for that:

https://brickset.com/sets/21009-1/Farnsworth-House

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

smackfu posted:

Farnsworth House was really rough for that:

https://brickset.com/sets/21009-1/Farnsworth-House

I don’t know why I thought this was going to be planet express headquarters

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Sunk Dunk posted:

I don’t know why I thought this was going to be planet express headquarters

Honestly that was my first thought too. I’d buy that set in a heartbeat.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm happy the line has led into what we have today, but imo the early architecture sets all looked like the worst kinds of sets; really repetitive and then just blocky, sterile builds. I guess they're kind of imitating architectural scale models so maybe it was an intentional aesthetic, but the way the line's turned into absolutely gorgeous historical buildings rather than the work of specific architects was an A+ pivot imo.

HootTheOwl posted:

A little bit, but since they're just alternating colors it really wasn't bad; the water setup in Ninjago City/Pyramids etc is a lot more aggrevating to put together. It's not actually that big either; if anything the 2x1 tiles around the sides were more fiddly to put in iirc.

Honestly I thought the build was great, there's a mausoleum on the inside you build out, and then the roof slots on top of it all really snugly. The 4 corners are all the same so best to make those simultaneously though.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 17, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The original architecture sets were just too small a scale. Very low piece counts, like the first buildings were under 100. I guess that was the aesthetic, just to have small desk sets, but hard to do much other than boxes.

The current midi scale seems like a decent compromise between the originals and the $500+ ones.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Brickworld is absolutely insane , wow

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good insane or bad insane? I haven't been able to go since before covid.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

xzzy posted:

Good insane or bad insane? I haven't been able to go since before covid.

Good. Crowded to get in with some line logistics but my expectations are surpassed by what's on display

Theres too much to see !

Edit the great ball contraption blew our minds

Editx2 the displays are probably 80% of the floor, 20% sales booths. I was expecting a 50/50 split at best and am real jazzed about this, even though it definitely got crowded after the first hour

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 17, 2023

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtmSURUr29L/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I kind of dislike this new habit that Lego has of releasing sets with slight improvements every few years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

New? They've been doing it with star wars since 1999.

And with city sets since the 80's! :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it's fine. People seem to forget that new people get into Lego all the time and also their main audience is kids. Also popular sets tend to cost a fortune on the after market after they go out of production. It makes sense in just about every context except for the long term collector. Which is admittedly a frustrating situation when you already own some expensive set and all of a sudden Lego puts out a better version.

Also that set isn't interesting to me personally, but I'd call that more than a slight upgrade. That looks much better than the original imo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's fine. People seem to forget that new people get into Lego all the time and also their main audience is kids. Also popular sets tend to cost a fortune on the after market after they go out of production. It makes sense in just about every context except for the long term collector. Which is admittedly a frustrating situation when you already own some expensive set and all of a sudden Lego puts out a better version.

Also that set isn't interesting to me personally, but I'd call that more than a slight upgrade. That looks much better than the original imo.
I can see buying it and then in two years it's back and better. That would annoy me

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wonder if it's a licensing thing where Disney wants these sets to always be available to they can put them in their gift shops. We've all gone to a gift shop, seen knock off interlocking blocks and seen parents hesitant about buying it because it's not only expensive, but not a brand they've heard of. So if Disney can always have the castle in their gift shops and it's a name brand set, then they get get parents to buy them. That solves Disney's problem, but creates a new problem for Lego. If they keep the same set for years and years, eventually people will have bought the set already and it just becomes a slow trickle of new buyers who get into Lego each year. So if they redesign the set and give it a new number, then it's a new thing. It goes into the disney gift shops, it gets reviewed on Lego youtube videos to discuss the differences, and hardcore collectors begrudgingly buy the new set because of some cool new part or feature.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
To be fair, this is the 100th anniversary do they probably wanted all new 100th branding

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

HootTheOwl posted:

To be fair, this is the 100th anniversary do they probably wanted all new 100th branding

Disney is obsessed with making a big deal out of anniversaries to move merch

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I look forward to Disney demanding Lego refer to discontinuing Disney sets as “returning them to the Disney Vault.”

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Walmart has a bunch of lego on clearance so I picked up the Viking Ship 3-in-1 and it's an absolutely incredible build, looks fantastic and was different and fun to build each step of the way through. can't believe how good all these 3in1 sets have been

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Blue Moonlight posted:

I look forward to Disney demanding Lego refer to discontinuing Disney sets as “returning them to the Disney Vault.”

Yeah, when Disney buys LEGO they can put everything into the vault and every 25 years r can buy a rerelease of classic space

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
On that note, I find it kind of amazing that The Lego Group has managed to remain privately-owned this far. If it had been publicly traded, I'm sure Disney would own it already.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's impossible to photograph the New Hashima cyberpunk setup but lol at the union getting brutally crushed by corpotanks

We ran into the a handful of people we know who were presenting/attending, then I was half convinced I knew another lady and it wasn't til I saw her son that I realized they were a Lego masters team

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 17, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aye Doc posted:

Walmart has a bunch of lego on clearance so I picked up the Viking Ship 3-in-1 and it's an absolutely incredible build, looks fantastic and was different and fun to build each step of the way through. can't believe how good all these 3in1 sets have been

I’m glad this is still going on. It seemed to hit while I was on vacation and there isn’t a Walmart in the ten minute driving radius I like to stay in (I have a target nearby I prefer anyway) but was heading out of town today and spotted a Walmart close enough that well put our heads in and see if anything fun is there still.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Due to a lack of space and a price increase I’ve sort of dipped out of Lego for a bit.
I just saw that Japanese castle linked here (is that listed on their site yet?!) and just saw there’s a new Ninjago City set?!

Whyyyy are they doing this to me and why does it have to be so expensive???! I feel like I need to either have a whole Ninjago town or sell my existing City and Gardens and just be done with it!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Feenix posted:

Due to a lack of space and a price increase I’ve sort of dipped out of Lego for a bit.
I just saw that Japanese castle linked here (is that listed on their site yet?!) and just saw there’s a new Ninjago City set?!

Whyyyy are they doing this to me and why does it have to be so expensive???! I feel like I need to either have a whole Ninjago town or sell my existing City and Gardens and just be done with it!

Japanese castle set isn’t officially announced yet. I think it’s supposed to be a July release so it should be announced soon though

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My wife has demanded we buy the castle for the currently unborn daughter to be held of age until we can present it to her.
Ofc this just means I'll have enough vip points to get the gardens for myself.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Anyone buy a set, build it yourself, then disassemble and re-bag it for your kids to do later?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Koramei posted:

Both the taj and the pyramid are nice but they aren't castles, which is what i realise i actually want from micro builds.

Doesn't just have to be real ones either, someone earlier suggested a micro minith tirith or edoras, and id be down for those too. It's the Asymmetric structures built into the landscape that looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really wish there were more micro or midi scale sets, not everything has to be minifig scaled. The old midi-scale Falcon is one of my favorite Star Wars sets and they’ve only done a handful of others since.

Skyline and Architecture scaled sets for Star Wars, Marvel, basically every licensed line they have would probably sell like crazy if they made them.