Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I do a lot of scale models and wargame miniatures and watch a bunch of YouTube channels for tips and inspiration, and gently caress if my favorite miniatures youtube channels aren't two channels run by faceless, silent Japanese (presumably - they could just live in Japan) people, just peacefully making dollhouses and furniture for the dollhouses, sometimes from kits, sometimes building from scratch.

Good to see Lester Freamon landed on his feet after The Wire ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

My local Hobby Lobby has RG Char's Zakus for $12. I know they're pretty uniform in their stock, but YMMV.

I know its an "early real grade", but for the price of an entry grade, I can glue some poo poo.

Edit: I know the sticker says $19.99, but they have a 40% off model kits sale like clockwork every other week.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Your main issues will be with the skirt armour and the hands. IIRC the Char Zaku doesn't have two piece hands, so you have to use the manipulator hands which fall apart easily and the fingers like to get lost.

The skirt armour on the sides should be glued since it has a tendency to pop off. Once they are glued in place they have a pretty good range of hinge motion. The front skirts are only on ball joints and love to pop out so be careful.

Apart from that it is a pretty fun kit with some ridiculously good leg articulation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wonder if you could get away with putting a sticker with a lower price on it

They don't use bar codes, they won't know

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

You can and the cashier may not know or care but on the other hand it may be the manager and getting the cops called on you to save at most $20 is an insanely bad gamble.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Midjack posted:

You can and the cashier may not know or care but on the other hand it may be the manager and getting the cops called on you to save at most $20 is an insanely bad gamble.

"It was like that when I found it!" Sometimes people stage items and don't go through with it for whatever reason. Could have been anybody.

Does Hobby Lobby have cameras, or are they also forbidden based on a misreading of the book of revelations?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-hg-kyoukai-senki-weapon-set-5-bans65328

Okay, I only just noticed this as I got the payment notification, but why does the armor set with no handheld guns come with two left-hand shooty-trigger hands? :confused:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/1669140042005241856?t=KZnrcK3_PIPTV1OY8WPcEg&s=19

One knee armor bit went walkabout but I managed to find it thank gently caress

He's so cool

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Another status update on my RG Strike Rouge. I think panel lining went well, and I've applied some of the bigger decals.

The Aile Striker Pack throws off the balance so much, and makes it hard to pose, so I left it off for these. Maybe I should get a stand?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Crossposting the Gundam portion of a post from the scale model thread:

My kids and I have been to a few shops in the area, one of which is trying to reduce inventory for the shop to be sold. All kits 25% off, and many 50% or 75%. I can’t remember what made me look it up but it struck me that the kids wanting to build so bad might enjoy Gundam kits, so we grabbed some 50% off ones that were reviewed as not being trainwrecks and holy poo poo, the engineering on these things is mind blowing. The kids started with the little SD chibi looking things where the parts all twist off the sprues and the kit takes like a half hour to build confidence, and the older one has blown through a couple HGs and is now working on some RG. I started with an RG and the inner frame with the chain molded parts was amazing to work with. The build experience and the finished product is frankly astonishing for something that snaps together and costs like $30 retail. So of course I have one HG and one MG kit on deck and another MG in the mail, waiting for me to experiment with as I come up to speed with the airbrush and general weathering/distressing. I don’t even watch the shows, is it wrong to consider what my first PG should be? I love cool poo poo and nice tools and I’ve already gotten hooked on stupid poo poo like the Gunprimer Raser, and trying to digest all eleven thousand hours of some Barbatos Rex guy on YouTube who appears to have won the lottery and chosen to cash out exclusively in every paint, tool, and gadget that is tangentially related to gunpla or modelmaking.

I guess my only real media exposure is Americanized Robotech back in the day, so somewhere in my future is going to be some VF-1 kits, hopefully gerwalkable (either intentionally or by f sheer force of time and money). Oh, and the OG Jetfire, which was clearly a licensed Valkyrie. I still remember buying that thing with 29.99 of allowance money, I think I may have even used layaway at KMart or Zayre’s. One of the few things I wish I’d kept…

Anyhow, sick hobby you folks got here, thanks for listening to my story!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sickos yes but it's the grandpa Gundam in the window

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, I actually have something nice to say about these AMAIM's mechanically while I'm building the Kenbu; The shoulder joints in the core are actually pretty satisfying to mess with, they have a neat sliding mechanism and a good range of movement to them.

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/1669140042005241856?t=KZnrcK3_PIPTV1OY8WPcEg&s=19

He's so cool

Told you so! :colbert:

Also if it helps, my Valimar's not shaping up to look much better in-the-lines-wise. :v:

uwaeve posted:

Crossposting the Gundam portion of a post from the scale model thread:

My kids and I have been to a few shops in the area, one of which is trying to reduce inventory for the shop to be sold. All kits 25% off, and many 50% or 75%. I can’t remember what made me look it up but it struck me that the kids wanting to build so bad might enjoy Gundam kits, so we grabbed some 50% off ones that were reviewed as not being trainwrecks and holy poo poo, the engineering on these things is mind blowing. The kids started with the little SD chibi looking things where the parts all twist off the sprues and the kit takes like a half hour to build confidence, and the older one has blown through a couple HGs and is now working on some RG. I started with an RG and the inner frame with the chain molded parts was amazing to work with. The build experience and the finished product is frankly astonishing for something that snaps together and costs like $30 retail. So of course I have one HG and one MG kit on deck and another MG in the mail, waiting for me to experiment with as I come up to speed with the airbrush and general weathering/distressing. I don’t even watch the shows, is it wrong to consider what my first PG should be? I love cool poo poo and nice tools and I’ve already gotten hooked on stupid poo poo like the Gunprimer Raser, and trying to digest all eleven thousand hours of some Barbatos Rex guy on YouTube who appears to have won the lottery and chosen to cash out exclusively in every paint, tool, and gadget that is tangentially related to gunpla or modelmaking.

I guess my only real media exposure is Americanized Robotech back in the day, so somewhere in my future is going to be some VF-1 kits, hopefully gerwalkable (either intentionally or by f sheer force of time and money). Oh, and the OG Jetfire, which was clearly a licensed Valkyrie. I still remember buying that thing with 29.99 of allowance money, I think I may have even used layaway at KMart or Zayre’s. One of the few things I wish I’d kept…

Anyhow, sick hobby you folks got here, thanks for listening to my story!

There's a modern HG Macross kit, the HG YF-19, and second one (the Durandal) coming in a few months if you dont mind parts-swapping instead of actual transformation. And a lot of crossed fingers for a VF-1 occuring eventually, I imagine. If you go back through my posts, I showed off my go with building the YF-19 a few months back if you want a look at how it can turn out.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 16, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

turns out i somehow completely forgot to paint an arm

now i'm done painting and just have to decal and top coat it

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Ausgoons, you may have seen a seller on eBay called the gunpla1st, who at some point has their own website now.

https://www.gunplaist.com/

Just got the MG Rx/78-00 Yokohama version. Quick shipping and prices aren't too bad.

Has a fair bit of p-bandai and other stuff as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So my Kenbu's coming out a little different to the norm...

I was planning to stick Jogun's gatling gun on it due to my love of dakka, but it's come out too gorgeous to hide all the nice work I've done on it behind a blast shield. Instead, (As it turns out there's a surplus of the little weapon holsters between the limb set, the weapon set, and the Kenbu kit itself), I'm gonna see just how many of the weapons in the weapon set I can stick on this thing. Just a total master-of-arms on-a-rampage look.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been on a nostalgia kick watching old Bionicle promotional videos on YouTube and now I wish that Bandai would partner with Lego to make Bionic-Pla kits.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Arc Hammer posted:

Your main issues will be with the skirt armour and the hands. IIRC the Char Zaku doesn't have two piece hands, so you have to use the manipulator hands which fall apart easily and the fingers like to get lost.

The skirt armour on the sides should be glued since it has a tendency to pop off. Once they are glued in place they have a pretty good range of hinge motion. The front skirts are only on ball joints and love to pop out so be careful.

Apart from that it is a pretty fun kit with some ridiculously good leg articulation.

Thanks for the tips!

Waffleman_ posted:

While I really doubt they'd notice and insane fundies that use their profits to loot ancient artifacts are probably the most ethical people you could steal from, who I assume to be the manager at my store is always at the front and she looks like someone I would NOT want to tangle with. As was stated before, especially over saving $20 on some plastic.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

He's so cool

Gieb Valimar :toughguy:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Prof. Banks posted:

My local Hobby Lobby has RG Char's Zakus for $12. I know they're pretty uniform in their stock, but YMMV.

I know its an "early real grade", but for the price of an entry grade, I can glue some poo poo.

Edit: I know the sticker says $19.99, but they have a 40% off model kits sale like clockwork every other week.

dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
If I'm looking to spend 30 to 100 bucks or so on a lot, but want to try something non-Gundam and maybe even non-Bandai, what lines/kits should I be looking at?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dreqqus posted:

If I'm looking to spend 30 to 100 bucks or so on a lot, but want to try something non-Gundam and maybe even non-Bandai, what lines/kits should I be looking at?

Kotobukiya's HMM Zoids line.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Dreqqus posted:

https://www.gundamit.com/motor-nuclear-blue-dragon-ao-bing-model-kit_p0322.html

https://www.gundamit.com/motor-nuclear-mnp-xh02-cao-ren-model-kit_p2032.html

Pointy metal frame not-Gundams.

https://gundamit.com/shenx-classic-of-mountains-and-seas-white-tiger_p0662.html

A tiger.

https://gundamit.com/shenx-classic-of-mountains-and-seas-azure-dragon_p0212.html

A loving dragon.

https://gundamit.com/eastern-model-iron-man-mk42-mk_p1322.html

Iron Man.

https://gundamit.com/ms-general-mg07-zhuge-liang-mk_p0828.html

A very pretty angel.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Sazabi's built, gonna spend the weekend panel lining and doing decals. I ended up using the silver stickers because the marker just wasn't turning out good with the silver. I got waterslides for the rest tho, this'll be my first time working with them

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dreqqus posted:

Depends on what you're looking for, really. Hexagear, for example, has a lot of cool little humans and vehicles for not obscene prices, if you want a kind of GI Joe thing. Bandai has some pocket sized Ultraman and Star Wars ships, if you're into those. Maybe a Goku, if you like Gokus...

Not Gundam (and maybe not Bandai) is a start, but it still leaves a lot of variation.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

chiasaur11 posted:

Not Gundam (and maybe not Bandai) is a start, but it still leaves a lot of variation.

That's fai! I've done a couple of the figure-ise Digimon kits and they're fun. I looked at Hexa Gear but have a hard time visualizing the actual size of them. I have done a Frame Arms kit, the Kobold I think, and I didn't really enjoy that one, it just feels sort of clunky compared to even HG Bandai kits. On the other hand the old old SRW kits that Kotobukiya made were some of my favorites.

Any opinions on Moderoid? There Kuromukuro kit looks pretty neat, but I've never heard a single thing about that line.

The Ao Bing that skrillmub posted looks rad, definitely on the considering list.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I like the little hexagear dudes but I'm a sucker for anything that can keep me company on my desk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Moderoids are mostly decent kits too if you want mecha from an anime or videogame. Just be aware there tends to be a fair bit of painted Bullshot for anything with a lot of small colour separation (I bet the Thunderjaw's probably gonna need a lot of it for example).

Though surprisingly some kits do come with pre-painted parts, typically a face piece and the like. Engineering cleverness is a little varied between kits too, but the low bar is still a decently made kit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dreqqus posted:

That's fai! I've done a couple of the figure-ise Digimon kits and they're fun. I looked at Hexa Gear but have a hard time visualizing the actual size of them. I have done a Frame Arms kit, the Kobold I think, and I didn't really enjoy that one, it just feels sort of clunky compared to even HG Bandai kits. On the other hand the old old SRW kits that Kotobukiya made were some of my favorites.

Any opinions on Moderoid? There Kuromukuro kit looks pretty neat, but I've never heard a single thing about that line.

The Ao Bing that skrillmub posted looks rad, definitely on the considering list.

There's some new SRW kits from Bandai, those might be your speed. Currently they have the Huckie, the Gespent, the Alteisen, and the Cybaster.

Hexagear figures are about 3 inches tall, so a little shorter than a GI or an old Star Wars figure, if you've seen those. 1/24 scale.

I've only built 1 moderoid, their Savage. It's no Bandai kit, but it was fine. Built easily, plastic felt a little less solid, looks alright. Heard some of the others are better, but others might be worse.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was finally focusing on getting the MG Epyon I got for Christmas done, when this happens so close to the finish, while assembling the backpack:

These pieces were tight fits, and I twisted too hard trying to get the second one in there.

What would you guys do next?

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Dr Christmas posted:

I was finally focusing on getting the MG Epyon I got for Christmas done, when this happens so close to the finish, while assembling the backpack:

These pieces were tight fits, and I twisted too hard trying to get the second one in there.

I think given the other piece helps it establish a hold on the peg, I would wager that plastic cementing the broken sections together might work fine. The stronger but more finnicky option is to pin it, drilling a small hole into both sides of the broken face, inserting a pin/wire/paperclip piece inside and sealing with cement or gel superglue. If the cement in the first option weren't strong enough or broke, you'd still have a chance to pin it and it doesn't require tools so seems reasonable to start there.

parabolic fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 17, 2023

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

parabolic posted:

I think given the other piece helps it establish a hold on the peg, I would wager that plastic cementing the broken sections together might work fine. The stronger but more finnicky option is to pin it, drilling a small hole into both sides of the broken face, inserting a pin/wire/paperclip piece inside and sealing with cement or gel superglue. If the cement in the first option weren't strong enough or broke, you'd still have a chance to pin it and it doesn't require tools so seems reasonable to start there.

I've searched some tutorials on doing this just now, but I haven't yet come across one dealing with the fact that the broken end of the peg is inaccessible. Most of it is up in that hole, and also not as far as it needed to be before it broke off. It's supposed to rotate, so I don't think I'd want to try any glue or cement while it's still in there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drill and pin

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

drill and pin

Third'ing this. I've had good success with pins on articulated pieces in the past.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Stein Ka was one of the first suits I really saw and said "I need it" so it rocks I finally had the chance.

I really do dislike Emotion Manipulators though. Not looking forward to them on the Sazabi or Nu.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Very sick. I keep being tempted by the YJL/AnchoreT resin conversion kit, only reason I haven't busted mine out of the box yet.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

panel lining's done for Mr. Saz, tomorrow's the waterslides. pray for my soul

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Dr Christmas posted:

You’ll need to drill with a pin vise to pull the broken piece out, so you might as well pin it.

https://blaze.re/fixing-broken-pegs/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Couple new 30MM/MS items just got announced.

The two 30MM robot girl kits.
EXM-H15A Acerby (TYPE-A) (Red with pigtails)
EXM-H15B Acerby (TYPE-B) (Blue with a ponytail)

Option parts set 13 (Leg Booster/Wireless Weapon Pack) - Slender leg boosters for the Acerbys and fuckin' Bit weapons.

Exa Vehicle (Multi-legged Mech Ver.) - Neat little scarab tank with moving legs.

Option Parts Set 14 (Multi Cloth) - Goddamn capes to make your robot cool as gently caress.

Painted lens set. Basically fancy eye pieces with a decal.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

And this fuckin guy

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1670393076941217793?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Exa Vehicle (Multi-legged Mech Ver.) - Neat little scarab tank with moving legs.

Time for crab!