Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sound on

https://i.imgur.com/Iwk6Go1.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
who can tell me: do old-rear end waka get found much? i feel like i've never seen another story like that. obviously there's some old ones in museums that survived, but have there been other sunken waka finds?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I haven't found an answer to that but I did stumble across this on wiki:

quote:

The only known example of a traditional waka sail is in the British Museum.

Typical.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I've seen that one! hosed up though!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

There's a full size Waka in the Pitt Rivers anthropology museum in Oxford as well, I was really surprised to see it there cause it's not exactly an insubstantial thing to cart all the way around the world.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the Empire of Blood will accept nothing less, I guess

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
A whole Wharenui got taken from Whakatane to Australia, then to England, and eventually it came back after more than a hundred years. The Mataatua wharenui.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

who can tell me: do old-rear end waka get found much? i feel like i've never seen another story like that. obviously there's some old ones in museums that survived, but have there been other sunken waka finds?

The only waka conservator in NZ has worked on 15 canoes. I doubt most of them are as well preserved as that though. There's also been a handful of large carvings pulled out of swamps and riverbanks that may have been hidden during the wars.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I haven't found an answer to that but I did stumble across this on wiki:

Typical.

Isn't that returning sometime soon? I've seen a news article about it in the last week or two.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
thanks for the link. that's some cool poo poo. i remember seeing the vasa, a huge 1600s ship that sailed about 300m and instantly sank in stockholm harbour, and reading how it had to soak in PEG for like decades when it was brought up. but it's big as hell

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I love to inform people that traditional waka taua were longer and carried more people than the ship that Cook came to NZ in. Always good to remember when you see waka translated as "canoe".

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
No poo poo?!? Like how long are we talking here?

Edit: google says up to 30 metres long and 100 people WOW

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

I love to inform people that traditional waka taua were longer and carried more people than the ship that Cook came to NZ in. Always good to remember when you see waka translated as "canoe".

"Canoe" in the same way that both a rifleman and a moa are"birds", or indeed a cockabully and a great white shark are "fish".

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Yeah it's sad how unknown those kind of things are. The Polynesian civilisation who settled the Pacific had amazing navigational skills, well fitted-out ocean-going boats with different kinds of sails etc, they were experienced in bringing plants and animals with them over those long voyages for colonisation. People see the Waka that are used for Waitangi celebrations etc and think they are they same, but it's like comparing a fishing boat with an ocean liner. Yeah they're both boats but uh, completely different.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bike tory posted:

Could you link me to some info?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
https://teara.govt.nz/en/waka-canoes/page-3

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Man, the our news media is really circling the water with that "we barely reached a recession at the start of this year" news. So how does it work, is it two consecutive quarters of decreased growth in GDP or is it a decrease in GDP itself?

Either way it went from a 0.6% in the final quarter of 2022 to a 0.1% decrease in the first quarter of 2023. A clear improvement and it's certainly very obvious to me looking at the data at my job that consumer spending levels are on the rise again. That's not stopping the $1 news site from running op ed after op ed "Here's how hosed you are and will be for the next 12 months".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Yeah it's sad how unknown those kind of things are. The Polynesian civilisation who settled the Pacific had amazing navigational skills, well fitted-out ocean-going boats with different kinds of sails etc, they were experienced in bringing plants and animals with them over those long voyages for colonisation. People see the Waka that are used for Waitangi celebrations etc and think they are they same, but it's like comparing a fishing boat with an ocean liner. Yeah they're both boats but uh, completely different.

Yeah gently caress this painting in particular:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Beartaco posted:

Man, the our news media is really circling the water with that "we barely reached a recession at the start of this year" news. So how does it work, is it two consecutive quarters of decreased growth in GDP or is it a decrease in GDP itself?

Either way it went from a 0.6% in the final quarter of 2022 to a 0.1% decrease in the first quarter of 2023. A clear improvement and it's certainly very obvious to me looking at the data at my job that consumer spending levels are on the rise again. That's not stopping the $1 news site from running op ed after op ed "Here's how hosed you are and will be for the next 12 months".
It's just two consecutive decreases, technically it's a recession if it decreases by 0.0001% in two quarters, because capitalism is all about growth baby.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

bike tory posted:

Yeah gently caress this painting in particular:

I've not seen that before, but is it implying that they were shipwrecked here and colonised through bad luck not good planning? That's a pretty big oof if yes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's a famous Goldie painting that, yeah, suggests all sorts of racist poo poo about the voyages to NZ. It was just taken for granted for years that they would've been desperate and starving when they arrived, basically just drifting randomly in the sea. Only the last like 20 or so years has seen that challenged in a big way.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Oh yeah big oof. All the sort of stuff my grandparents would have believed true because duh everyone knows that, and it seems really hard to shake that kind of 'knowledge' that is somehow built into the accepted cultural background of the country. Almost like the racism is grandfathered in with each generation.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

It's just two consecutive decreases, technically it's a recession if it decreases by 0.0001% in two quarters, because capitalism is all about growth baby.

My question was what decreases? Is it GDP that decreases or the growth in GDP that decreases?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Words can mean anything you want them to and, with enough effort, so can numbers!

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Oh yeah big oof. All the sort of stuff my grandparents would have believed true because duh everyone knows that, and it seems really hard to shake that kind of 'knowledge' that is somehow built into the accepted cultural background of the country. Almost like the racism is grandfathered in with each generation.

Like the (sculptures? Statues? Models?) of pre-settler Maori in the Christchurch museum which somehow it has only recently been decided that yes actual what local Iwi have been saying for who knows how long is true, they are racist and inaccurate and so maybe we'll replace them

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Lobsterpillar posted:

Like the (sculptures? Statues? Models?) of pre-settler Maori in the Christchurch museum which somehow it has only recently been decided that yes actual what local Iwi have been saying for who knows how long is true, they are racist and inaccurate and so maybe we'll replace them

The Christchurch Museum is very nice and it has a wonderful native bird section but yeah they paint a very neanderthal-esque cave dwelling picture of pre-colonial Aotearoa.

e:

I think this display is supposed to depict the Southern Alps, up on Castle Hill.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Beartaco posted:

My question was what decreases? Is it GDP that decreases or the growth in GDP that decreases?

It's two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. GDP number getting smaller not bigger.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
https://youtu.be/ycRcWK7pMoM

This is a pretty interesting view on the latest DNA research on Polynesians.

Giving strong weight to the theory that they had reached South America (and brought back the sweet potato).

And that yeah they knew what they were doing how could you not when you settled the largest body of water in the world.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The Irish settled the Pacific first, centuries before Polynesians. My evidence is this rock and this 1950s school textbook.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Ratjaculation posted:

The Irish settled the Pacific first, centuries before Polynesians. My evidence is this rock and this 1950s school textbook.

Was that before or after the 10 foot tall giants who ruled everywhere?

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Was that before or after the 10 foot tall giants who ruled everywhere?

CELTIC giants thank you

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
The basketball team? It all makes sense now!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FWIW it's well known in nautical schools, or at least the new zealand one, that Pacifica had mastered a form of celestial navigation as well as making really neat physical models depicting the prevailing currents surrounding various islands

But honestly no one gives a gently caress about seafarers, so

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Apart from a general lack of education on the subject - I think it also comes down to a large part of the population not having regular exposure to a proper night sky...

We have a nice dark sky where we live now and it really drives home how it could be used for navigation with how bright it can be and all the points of interest in the sky.

City night sky looks like poo poo.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Polynesian traders regularly and consistently sailed all over the pacific, even all the way to Hawaii on the regular and thats loving AGES away

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

meme wars!!! my wasted youth on the internet is finally paying off

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

kaiwero posted:

https://youtu.be/ycRcWK7pMoM

This is a pretty interesting view on the latest DNA research on Polynesians.

Giving strong weight to the theory that they had reached South America (and brought back the sweet potato).

And that yeah they knew what they were doing how could you not when you settled the largest body of water in the world.

Theory? I thought it was pretty well established that they reached South America. They got all over the Pacific.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
A lot of people don't realise how absolutely massive the pacific ocean is. Navigating around it is no mean feat.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

it's pretty big yeah

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

That's only like, 2 inches across on my screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Lobsterpillar posted:

Theory? I thought it was pretty well established that they reached South America. They got all over the Pacific.

I'm going to assume they meant theory, as in the theory of gravity, or theory of evolution.