Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/ukraine_map/status/1669739487830720515?s=20

https://twitter.com/ukraine_map/status/1669793446549135361?s=20

ATACMS will be a paradigm shift along the same lines and influence as when Ukraine received Javelins, then M777s, then HIMARS, then western tanks and armored vehicles..every time Ukraine has received a new line of weaponry or equipment, it's signaled a significant shift in the war's course. Add in that Ukraine is receiving F-16s by this fall and you really start to wonder how much longer it will take for Ukraine to win. And the frustrating answer to that is "They could have and should have won by now", but Western aid is being sent in drips and drops. If we'd given Ukraine ATACMS and HIMARS and Leopards in March 2022 this war might have been over by now.

E: thank you to whoever restored my tag, you a real one

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I think putin should develop an atacms equivalent then show how manly and strong he is by standing directly infront of it when they test it. I'd lke to see any of the decadent westoids attempt that!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

what kind of targets could be expect to be struck once they have ATACMS

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

EasilyConfused posted:

I can't even begin to parse this.

He's being facetious and it's a complaint that Moscow has a lot of powerful jews. It's a fairly common theme with him and other Russian nationalists.

HonorableTB posted:

the complaint is russia is getting its poo poo kicked in and they dont like it

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/05/29/two-weeks-at-the-front-in-ukraine

Two Weeks at the Front in Ukraine, a good article.

seconding this is a really, really good article

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mikojan posted:

what kind of targets could be expect to be struck once they have ATACMS

parade grounds

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

ded posted:

parade grounds

-1 T34

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/SpokespersonRSA/status/1669647779939885056

Air raid shelter sound proofing confirmed?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/DerAktenfresser/status/1669970899284443137?s=20

I'm not a weapons knower, but even I can tell that's not a Bradley.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jesus South Africa is supposed to be a proud, independent, modern nation. Like yeah it's corrupt but it's not supposed to be a tinpot lackey. How humiliating.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Herstory Begins Now posted:

seconding this is a really, really good article
Its also really long. Set aside a good chunk of time to read it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/ukraine_map/status/1669739487830720515?s=20

https://twitter.com/ukraine_map/status/1669793446549135361?s=20

ATACMS will be a paradigm shift along the same lines and influence as when Ukraine received Javelins, then M777s, then HIMARS, then western tanks and armored vehicles..every time Ukraine has received a new line of weaponry or equipment, it's signaled a significant shift in the war's course. Add in that Ukraine is receiving F-16s by this fall and you really start to wonder how much longer it will take for Ukraine to win. And the frustrating answer to that is "They could have and should have won by now", but Western aid is being sent in drips and drops. If we'd given Ukraine ATACMS and HIMARS and Leopards in March 2022 this war might have been over by now.

E: thank you to whoever restored my tag, you a real one
I dunno if it'll be a huge change at this point considering it calls for a "briefing before December 31st" where they could say that there just not enough missiles, but it's en encouraging development anyway.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1669918886219640833
oof.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Has this ever worked? Didn't seem to work well in WW2.

No, it specifically does not work.

The issue has been debated and researched by academics for decades and the consensus is that you can't terror bomb a country into surrendering, barring things like "well we literally have a new sci-fi weapon that can destroy an entire city in the blink of an eye". You may make the ordinary people who have to endure the terror bombings sick and tired of it and want an end to it, but historically that hasn't made the actual leaders who decide these things give a poo poo. Or you can instead just galvanize the people into resisting you to the last man, woman and child.

Of course academics have also debated and discussed the ACTUAL reasons for terror bombing over the decade, and the consensus is "spite" and "revenge". Even during World War II the fire bombing of German cities was carried out with a heavy veneer of "we suffered under the Blitz / Nazi heel for years, now it's your turn". And that's why Russia is targeting Ukrainian civilians as well. They don't think it's going to win them the war, they just want to hurt the people who had the nerve to resist them.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1670050601726619648

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1670045817221136387

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Is this a tactic to slow down the empathetic un-manly West? Every injured soldier left behind is going to need to be picked up by Ukraine, shipped to medical care, and cared for by Western aid. It's not like Russia has the capacity to rehabilitate wounded soldiers into fighting shape anyway.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No, it specifically does not work.

The issue has been debated and researched by academics for decades and the consensus is that you can't terror bomb a country into surrendering, barring things like "well we literally have a new sci-fi weapon that can destroy an entire city in the blink of an eye". You may make the ordinary people who have to endure the terror bombings sick and tired of it and want an end to it, but historically that hasn't made the actual leaders who decide these things give a poo poo. Or you can instead just galvanize the people into resisting you to the last man, woman and child.

Of course academics have also debated and discussed the ACTUAL reasons for terror bombing over the decade, and the consensus is "spite" and "revenge". Even during World War II the fire bombing of German cities was carried out with a heavy veneer of "we suffered under the Blitz / Nazi heel for years, now it's your turn". And that's why Russia is targeting Ukrainian civilians as well. They don't think it's going to win them the war, they just want to hurt the people who had the nerve to resist them.

It's impossible to prove theoretical outcomes, but there's a few arguments that conclude that WW2 would probably have been over sooner without the bombing raids on German cities. It demoralized civilians to such an extent that any opposition to war was completely hopeless.

However, from a military point of view those raids were going to take place no matter what and we can't say what would have really happened so it's maybe a bit silly to debate it. But I do think Russia is just making steeling Ukranian resistance and making any pro-Russian Ukrainians lose all chance of undermining the Ukrainian war effort. Also, it's a waste of weapons that should be used against military targets. But that's p.obvious.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1670047977396744193
We hit everything we aimed at, please believe us. :dumb:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just keeping track of their kill streak, they've destroyed two empires and are working on the third, got it. :hai:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lol at the tankies hi5ing this picture on twitter. Cheering on actual imperialism while pretending to be a leftist

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Tai posted:

lol at the tankies hi5ing this picture on twitter. Cheering on actual imperialism while pretending to be a leftist

I think you'll find that it's only Real Imperialism if it comes from the United States region of North America, otherwise it's just sparkling multipolarity.

I am very smart and not at all a hypocrite.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I don't know why they would want to blatantly advertise that sanctions are working. So low on supplies that they've resorted to pulling out the old flags even.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Sedgr posted:

I don't know why they would want to blatantly advertise that sanctions are working. So low on supplies that they've resorted to pulling out the old flags even.

They're having a shell of a time :dadjoke:

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I mean I don't know, personally I find the presence of the flag of the literal Russian Empire maybe the most amusing detail in that photo, all the more so if so-called anti-imperialists think everything in the picture is great.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ninaselyna/status/1669619917207871489
Find the fucker who did this and throw them in prison for a couple of decades.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://kyivindependent.com/podolyak-african-leaders-came-to-ukraine-to-ask-for-putins-arrest-warrant-suspension/

quote:

The African leaders' delegation that came to Kyiv on June 16 to present a peace plan was mostly interested in suspending Russian dictator Vladimir Putin's arrest warrant, Mykhailo Podolyak, an advisor to Ukraine’s Presidential Office, said.

"There is one point that worries them and for which, I think, they came," he said on June 17.

"Trust comes in small steps: And let's make one of the points the termination of the ICC warrant issued for Putin's arrest, and this will symbolize such trust, and then we will move on to the next points," he recalled them saying.

On March 17, the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued arrest warrants for Putin and Maria Lvova-Belova, the Russian official allegedly overseeing the forced deportations of Ukrainian children to Russia, meaning that Putin and Lvova-Belova can now be arrested in countries that have ratified the Rome Statute.

Podolyak also said the only real plan to end the war was Ukraine's 10-point peace plan, which Zelensky introduced at a G20 summit meeting in November 2022.
:frogout:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We're here with the defenders of an illegal invasion and victims of war crimes to negotiate peace. First thing first, you need to make a concession to the invaders, who have offered literally nothing except violence.

Hey where are you going don't you want peace

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
South Africa seems to be mainly concerned about the awkward situation they got themselves into where they're obligated to arrest Poopin if he ever shows up but still want to have him visit for some dumb summit as a show of BRICS solidarity

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

"if you really loved peace you'd remove the aggressive invaders culpability for the war crimes they did, if you don't youre a warmonger"
\
:smug:

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

South Africa seems to be mainly concerned about the awkward situation they got themselves into where they're obligated to arrest Poopin if he ever shows up but still want to have him visit for some dumb summit as a show of BRICS solidarity

This is true for a lot of neutral non-Western governments. They just don't care in the slightest about the invasion - all they care is how it impacts them directly. When its something like food or fuel prices, its at least kind of understandable, as its about the impact on their people and economy. But when its something like this, of 'Our government got some bad PR and now we are throwing a tantrum', its just absurd.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The thing that pisses me off about tankies the most is the blatant concern trolling. None of them want peace, they just want Ukraine to roll over and take it. They're just like chuds in how they weaponize language and feelings to get what they want and in any decent world it wouldn't work but normal people hear tankies going "war bad", don't know what they represent and go "hmm yes war is bad, peace should happen" and suddenly if you suggest that maybe Ukraine should not just die out, suddenly you're the bloodthirsty warmonger. And they still don't care what the actual Ukrainians think.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 17, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I mean yeah, one of the unfortunate reoccurring themes in Russian propaganda and pro-Russia discourse is alternating between dehumanizing screeds about how Ukranians are all inferior people on every level who deserve destruction, and paternalistic framing of Ukraine as poor victims of Western aggression (Russia at fault? Perish the thought)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I know nothing about the ties between Russia and the African states represented by this delegation, but does it not seem like an intentional humiliation of them by Putin, to attack Kyiv while they are there? It left them having to either pretend it didn't happen, or come up with some incredible excuse for why it was fine and also somehow NATO's fault?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pookah posted:

I know nothing about the ties between Russia and the African states represented by this delegation

The 'S' in BRICS stands for South Africa.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We're here with the defenders of an illegal invasion and victims of war crimes to negotiate peace. First thing first, you need to make a concession to the invaders, who have offered literally nothing except violence.

Hey where are you going don't you want peace

these guys just love war too much!! they cant get enough!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The complete divorce of ideology of what these flags represent/represented so as to simply promote a patriotic posturing really makes me... Sad. I would ask if these so-called Marxists would ever imagine a time that Lenin would think it reasonable to have the flag of the USSR flown on equal footing to that of the flag of Imperial Russia... But then I remember that they wouldn't care.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russia also really likes to use Wagner to take over mineral resources in Africa

E: holy poo poo :stare: Wagner is preventing soldiers from surrendering by doing their sledgehammer-to-head poo poo in the trenches with a smashing stump

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean bro, what did we do bro? Why do we deserve this?

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1669719067857485824?s=20

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pookah posted:

I know nothing about the ties between Russia and the African states represented by this delegation
Ramaphosa blamed NATO expansion for Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Zambia had one of largest Soviet embassies, hosting lots of spies, Russia trained some Congolese officers and policemen, Egypt imports a lot of Russian weapons, allows Russian warplanes on its airbases, Russia builds Egyptian nuclear power plant and will supply fuel, Egypt is part of failed MIR payment system since 2022 etc., I couldn't find anything on Senegal. That whole "peace" delegation seems like a sham. Next we will have a delegation of leaders from Transnistria, Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pookah posted:

I know nothing about the ties between Russia and the African states represented by this delegation, but does it not seem like an intentional humiliation of them by Putin, to attack Kyiv while they are there? It left them having to either pretend it didn't happen, or come up with some incredible excuse for why it was fine and also somehow NATO's fault?

Yeah it is kind of rude when you think about it that way