Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

hatty posted:

Because Blu-rays aren’t as fast as modern hard drives or even some platter drives

For reference the PS5's blu-ray player's read speed is around 29 MB/s, it's internal hard drive however has a read speed of 5500 MB/s, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEqkBcj5qlA

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many archaisms are we gonna hear like in FF14... anyone going to be "in their cups"

I think one of the guards in the demo asked if there's aught amiss, which just felt right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mordiceius posted:

Disc basically have two purposes for the consumer -

1 - You want to be able to trade it in/share it.
2 - You don't have the data speed/caps need to download the full game.

3 cheaper than digital

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

3 cheaper than digital

4. Someone told you that they will kill you if you don't purchase the physical copy

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Consummate Professional posted:

I hope urianger is a character

I'm hoping for a "puissant" drop

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CottonWolf posted:

Do we know when the review embargo is?

June 21st at 16:00 CEST.

mikemil828 posted:

For reference the PS5's blu-ray player's read speed is around 29 MB/s, it's internal hard drive however has a read speed of 5500 MB/s, yeah.

Prior to the PS5's launch I thought the "super fast SSD" was just typical marketing bullshit, but it super loving isn't. In games that are optimized to actually utilize it it's so wild to have load times that are practically instant.

Sakurazuka posted:

3 cheaper than digital

Yeah, I am super glad I bought the version of PS5 with a disc drive. Physical games go on significant discounts very quickly, and tend to be cheaper than digital pretty much always. Earlier this year I was also able to pick out a sealed new PS4 copy of Cyberpunk for 19,99€ which just automatically upgraded to the PS5 version, whereas the PS5 version would still have been 59,99€ IIRC, if not more. It's nuts.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 17, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sakurazuka posted:

3 cheaper than digital

In the UK at least this is a rare occasion where (at RRP at least) the digital version is £5 cheaper than physical.

I've ordered the physical version simply because I've always bought physical copies of new FF games. But they haven't used the cool white boxart since 12 anyway so there's not much point these days.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Those white boxes with just the logo and the Amano illustration looked so great, it projected such confidence too, like "yes this is the new Final Fantasy, that's all anyone needs to know"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

stev posted:

In the UK at least this is a rare occasion where (at RRP at least) the digital version is £5 cheaper than physical.

I've ordered the physical version simply because I've always bought physical copies of new FF games. But they haven't used the cool white boxart since 12 anyway so there's not much point these days.

Physical never goes for RRP* though which is kind of the point, Hit.com has it for £12 cheaper than the digital version. And usually sends stuff out a day or two early.

*Unless you're Amazon and don't give a gently caress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Just finished the demo and while it was very cool I was not prepared for so much chocobo violence, pretty sure I actually flinched when Clive's got decked by a stray rock

I was out of my seat like come on buddy pull through it and chadabo walked it off

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Maybe because I've been desensitized by XIV, but the demo really didn't hit me as hard as some of the scenes from later expansions. At best, I'd rate it a 2.5 patch, which yeah it made me have some feels, but not to the point where I'm going for the tissue box. Guess I'm going to be waiting for the build-up in the main arc, where Cid becomes an awesome mentor figure that sacrifices himself so Clive can become the Warrior of Darkness like he is meant to be, right before the penultimate fight.

My wild theory of what's going on in this game is the crystals are drawing all the vitality out from the earth, and is actually an alien plot to kill the planet. There is a planetary set of eikons that Clive must discover, as well as subjugating the alien eikons the crystals produced, in order to stop the world from getting killed. Naturally, the powers that are in place don't look kindly upon this, since it would be like cutting off the US from their fossil fuel addiction, and so Clive is now a fugitive rebel trying to save the world.

As for music, I'm going to be expecting lots of leitmotifs being employed, with major UNIQUE boss fights getting their own special track. They might be cribbing from XIV, but hey if it works and works well, why change it?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Argue posted:

Oh what the gently caress. Ugh why even

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Argue posted:

Oh what the gently caress. Ugh why even

-Clive at the end of the demo

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQXNaCOujJw

There's a livestream with YoshiP and co. going on right now (above link has the unofficial live translation) and at 2hrs in or so they're responding to various feedback from the demo.

Couple notable things:
-Motion blur controls/toggle-off is forthcoming, won't make it in for release though
-Performance improvements also being worked on
-The prologue is very cutscene heavy in order to set a lot of things up, but as the game progresses it will open up a lot more and be more focused on gameplay content in between story beats, with the longer cutscenes reserved for important/pivotal moments
-No minimap was an intentional design decision, their reasoning being that when there's a minimap players tend to focus on that when running around rather than looking at the world. The larger areas will still have an area map you can bring up from the touchpad, and you always have the L3 button to show where to go next in dungeons and such
-They're considering adding more button-binding options as well

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh huh the release time is 00:00 22nd June local time, so people in New Zealand can play the earliest :v:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Isn't it amazing how everyone in here lives in New Zealand? What a coincidence

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

cathead posted:

-Motion blur controls/toggle-off is forthcoming, won't make it in for release though

i still don't know why modern games have a setting that's just "do you want to be nauseous while playing Y/N?" and it always defaults to "yes, please"

who actually prefers this to be on? even if you don't feel ill you still can't loving see anything while the camera's moving

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I’m getting major Jon Snow and Bran vibes off of Clive and Joshua.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

cock hero flux posted:

who actually prefers this to be on? even if you don't feel ill you still can't loving see anything while the camera's moving

Hi, it's me, the person who thinks motion blur is good, actually.

A frame of a video (game) is supposed to represent 1/30th (or whatever) of a second. A fast-moving object will, over the course of 1/30th of a second, not be in one place. If you do not smear its visual representation over its path, like your actual eyesight would in reality, then it does not look like a fast-moving object. In a lot of cases -- small, fast objects, impacts, explosions, etc -- it would be hard for us to even recognize those objects as what they are if they were rendered entirely crisply from frame to frame, which is why these things have been pre-motion blurred by artists since the first streaking bullet sprite was carved into the bare rock of the ENIAC.

It's a similar position as bloom: sure, ideally our hardware would render at, say, 10 000 Hz and with a dynamic range of 10-3 cd/m2 to 109 cd/m2. Enough so our eyeballs and brains can do the motion integration, and also let us be properly blinded by looking at the sun. Unfortunately our actual hardware can't do that: it does 30 Hz and 0.1 - 300 cd/m2. To make up the difference, we have to cheat. Some bloom and some motion blur, by post-process or by artist, are useful cheats in the toolbox. Both can absolutely be overapplied, but the concept is perfectly sound.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

stev posted:

Thank you for the headsup! I usually buy physical because they are cheaper, but if I can save 5 quid, it's good. My wife has kinda put a ban on more game boxes as we don't have space, so at least I can make her happy by buying directly from Playstation...

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I miss Best Buy’s GCU program. As someone who often has to buy 2 copies of stuff for both me and my gf it was nice to get 20% off physical new releases

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

A frame of a video (game) is supposed to represent 1/30th (or whatever) of a second. A fast-moving object will, over the course of 1/30th of a second, not be in one place. If you do not smear its visual representation over its path, like your actual eyesight would in reality, then it does not look like a fast-moving object. In a lot of cases -- small, fast objects, impacts, explosions, etc -- it would be hard for us to even recognize those objects as what they are if they were rendered entirely crisply from frame to frame, which is why these things have been pre-motion blurred by artists since the first streaking bullet sprite was carved into the bare rock of the ENIAC.

It's a similar position as bloom: sure, ideally our hardware would render at, say, 10 000 Hz and with a dynamic range of 10-3 cd/m2 to 109 cd/m2. Enough so our eyeballs and brains can do the motion integration, and also let us be properly blinded by looking at the sun. Unfortunately our actual hardware can't do that: it does 30 Hz and 0.1 - 300 cd/m2. To make up the difference, we have to cheat. Some bloom and some motion blur, by post-process or by artist, are useful cheats in the toolbox. Both can absolutely be overapplied, but the concept is perfectly sound.

motion blur is when you turn around too fast and you go AAAH! and then you turn it off.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Combat gets passing grades from me even if I suspect there's not a ton of depth there, but I didn't expect to be hooked by the story in a demo. Honestly I think this game's non-existent hype cycle is going to result in lower sales but much more favorable impressions from people. I expected a full action Final Fantasy in 2023 but I definitely didn't expect a straight-forward fantasy setting, which is refreshing for this series.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I miss Best Buy’s GCU program. As someone who often has to buy 2 copies of stuff for both me and my gf it was nice to get 20% off physical new releases

Yeah it was really great. RIP

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Deified Data posted:

Combat gets passing grades from me even if I suspect there's not a ton of depth there

I’m a little skeptical of the combat (I didn’t play the bonus dungeon, just the story part of the demo), but I think the basics for depth are definitely there. There are all kinds of options for attacking and defending and tons of combos you can pull off. Of course, this will still require the game to face you off against enemies that actually demand some mastery of the systems.

What I’m worried about is that being good at the combat will partly come down to being really dexterous with the controller and getting really precise timings on things rather than planning, and positioning.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’m a little skeptical of the combat (I didn’t play the bonus dungeon, just the story part of the demo), but I think the basics for depth are definitely there. There are all kinds of options for attacking and defending and tons of combos you can pull off. Of course, this will still require the game to face you off against enemies that actually demand some mastery of the systems.

What I’m worried about is that being good at the combat will partly come down to being really dexterous with the controller and getting really precise timings on things rather than planning, and positioning.

Play the bonus dungeon, I was slightly disappointed in the combat before I did. There's a ton of depth that you don't get until you're equipped with a full loadout of eikons.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The meat of the combat really isn't present in the first part of the demo; it's in the eikonic challenge. Clive's basic melee and spell attacks are the equivalent of your basic 1-2-3 combo in FF14, and the Eikon attacks are where the strategic element come in. It looks like some attacks are meant for AoE, some are meant to deal Stagger damage, some are meant for combo extenders, and some are meant for raw damage. I suspect managing their cooldowns so you can use the right attacks during Stagger phases is going to be more important than raw button input skill.

It's ultimately still in the mode of like, DMC and Nier Automata, so combat probably won't ever get too tactical in the way that a more grounded game like Dark Souls might, just because Clive is an extremely mobile demigod.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

if i wanted to be blinded by the sun i'd go look at the sun, i'm totally fine with the sun in a video game being a stupid-looking flat yellow circle instead of the continuous, headache-inducing flashbang that it is in most games, in much the same way that i am okay with things looking less than perfect as long as i can actually see them and they aren't replaced by some bullshit smear whenever i'm not holding the camera perfectly still like i'm using it to do brain surgery

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I'd much rather be able to see objects moving rather than marvel at how realistically I can't see them.

That said I do get a kick out of a well done depth of field effect.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Putting a choral version of the Final Fantasy main theme with oil painting visuals in a trailer is genius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8g1My6XlD4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

stev posted:

Yeah I'd much rather be able to see objects moving rather than marvel at how realistically I can't see them.

That said I do get a kick out of a well done depth of field effect.

Grounded did a really good job with this. I noticed especially because I kept pointing out a bug or place in the far distance and he'd be totally confused, I thought he was loving with me as a joke. Turns out my graphics settings had flipped down after some patch or something and turned off the depth of field effects. He wasn't loving with me, that stuff really was super out of focus to the point of invisibility in some cases. Not that applicable in this game unless there's a bunch of tiny sections, which maybe it has idk.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I could not quite tell while playing the demo--

The scenes at the beginning of the pitched battle between two armies with lots of magical catapults and clashing soldiers, were those pre-rendered or in-engine? Or the clash between Shiva and Titan?

The smoothness of the camera pan over the battle, the number of combatants, and especially the fidelity of the smokey explosions, really made it seem like the game is seamlessly weaving between pre-rendered and engine scenes. I think some of the VFX for Shiva summoning her big crystals seemed a little too good to believe as well.

If it is all in-engine, that's extremely impressive. Even if some of it is pre-render, they are doing a really amazing job of maintaining consistency and making the transitions invisible.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tekne posted:

Putting a choral version of the Final Fantasy main theme with oil painting visuals in a trailer is genius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8g1My6XlD4

Chills, man. The Overture is so good.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

jwang posted:

Maybe because I've been desensitized by XIV, but the demo really didn't hit me as hard as some of the scenes from later expansions. At best, I'd rate it a 2.5 patch, which yeah it made me have some feels, but not to the point where I'm going for the tissue box. Guess I'm going to be waiting for the build-up in the main arc, where Cid becomes an awesome mentor figure that sacrifices himself so Clive can become the Warrior of Darkness like he is meant to be, right before the penultimate fight.

It would be kind of weird if a 2 hour demo had the same emotional impact as a +200 hour game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Scoss posted:

I could not quite tell while playing the demo--

The scenes at the beginning of the pitched battle between two armies with lots of magical catapults and clashing soldiers, were those pre-rendered or in-engine? Or the clash between Shiva and Titan?

The smoothness of the camera pan over the battle, the number of combatants, and especially the fidelity of the smokey explosions, really made it seem like the game is seamlessly weaving between pre-rendered and engine scenes. I think some of the VFX for Shiva summoning her big crystals seemed a little too good to believe as well.

If it is all in-engine, that's extremely impressive. Even if some of it is pre-render, they are doing a really amazing job of maintaining consistency and making the transitions invisible.

They confirmed a lot of elements in the battle are pre-rendered, including the distant armies. They did a great job mixing them in though, yeah.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Memnaelar posted:

Chills, man. The Overture is so good.
For real, the whole presentation gave it a Biblical feeling like an animated church mural.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bugblatter posted:

They confirmed a lot of elements in the battle are pre-rendered, including the distant armies. They did a great job mixing them in though, yeah.

Going back to their roots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naV0q2fWq2Q&t=168s

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Speaking of FF8, this whole lead up is making me feel like a kid again. I must have played the Pizza Hut FF8 demo disc a million times and read and reread every gamepro in the lead up and it’s the last FF game I really remember doing that for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: One thing I'm really looking forward to is just wandering around fighting things in this. I find the perfect dodge (and parry when I can pull it off) stuff is just very satisfying to do.

I also really like that the NG+ mode actually changes encounters. I've always wished that some other JRPGs had better NG+ modes, with Persona 5 being the main example. I just can't enjoy a NG+ mode when it's trivially easy and everything is (mostly) the same. I remember wishing that P5R had a NG+ mode where all the enemies were replaced by their stronger versions (like the ones you see in the final parts of Mementos).

cathead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQXNaCOujJw

There's a livestream with YoshiP and co. going on right now (above link has the unofficial live translation) and at 2hrs in or so they're responding to various feedback from the demo.

Couple notable things:
-Performance improvements also being worked on
-The prologue is very cutscene heavy in order to set a lot of things up, but as the game progresses it will open up a lot more and be more focused on gameplay content in between story beats, with the longer cutscenes reserved for important/pivotal moments
-No minimap was an intentional design decision, their reasoning being that when there's a minimap players tend to focus on that when running around rather than looking at the world. The larger areas will still have an area map you can bring up from the touchpad, and you always have the L3 button to show where to go next in dungeons and such
-They're considering adding more button-binding options as well

Well, I guess the downside of this is that it sounds like the demo's performance issues will still be there during the release version, at least to start with.

On the upside, I found that if I go further away from my TV and lay in bed while playing (instead of sitting in my chair), it's not as noticeable (and same goes for the difference between 1440p and 4k - I can only tell if I'm closer to the TV).

edit: Oh wait, at one point it mentions there being a pre-release performance update on June 20th

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 17, 2023