Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

moot the hopple posted:

When I made a dude max height in the character customizer, he would sometimes have trouble going through doors into buildings. Also sometimes, even though building placement will be green and allowed, a completed building for me might not play well with pathfinding if some of the terrain ends up clipping through it. Maybe that's what was happening for you?

I tried physically shifting the building with that Shift+F12 system and it didn't seem to make a difference, but I was just trying out the build mode from a fresh start anyway so not really a big deal. At least I know it's a bit touchy now.

e: Haha stealing stuff from people is weird, a little (commit crime) note comes up and you just have to wait for that timer to expire before trying again, so a dude is sleeping in his house and I keep failing to take fabric off his bench, if I just....focus! Then another person came into the house and immediately walked out as soon as they saw me even though the 'committing crime' timer was active?

This is some great jank.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

TheMostFrench posted:

I tried physically shifting the building with that Shift+F12 system and it didn't seem to make a difference, but I was just trying out the build mode from a fresh start anyway so not really a big deal. At least I know it's a bit touchy now.

as far as I can tell, if you move a building with the debug editor, you have to save the game and reload before you can actually use it because the Edit Position tool doesn't update the collision mesh or the doorway location. always had to do it when resetting to 0,0 rotation to make my poo poo level, barbecue otherwise dudes will get stuck under the floor or glitch through walls and other nonsense.

TheMostFrench posted:

e: Haha stealing stuff from people is weird, a little (commit crime) note comes up and you just have to wait for that timer to expire before trying again, so a dude is sleeping in his house and I keep failing to take fabric off his bench, if I just....focus! Then another person came into the house and immediately walked out as soon as they saw me even though the 'committing crime' timer was active?

This is some great jank.
Something really amazing is that you don't get in trouble if your character isn't seen with the "i'm doing crimes" tag, and characters that are being carried by someone else are considered unconscious and invisible so what you do is give one guy like 3 backpacks to swap between and then pick him up. have someone else open a storage container and then switch control to your invisible quantum bandit to loot everything. even if you get caught standing right in front of the shopkeeper they don't react or raise the alarm or call the guards and they don't get permanently mad at you for stealing (as long as you don't slip up and use the wrong character to grab an item) so you can grind Stealing skill to 100 easily, and completely clean out e.g. Holy Mine storage full of building materials.

Might need to steal some shopkeeper backpacks to carry all the junk though, which requires using Assassination to knock out the shopkeeper when no guards are looking. They're the best backpack in the game for carrying lots of stuff, but they're terrible for exploration/combat/combat unless you abuse the "carried units don't count" cheese.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 17, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I finally started playing again and one of my mods has introduced a weird glitch: if I pick any of the wanderer starts everyone in the world just invisible legs, it's really strange.

So I picked a three person start and everything's fine. I'm going with hivers this time! For the first time. It's really, really, hard to not just go with skeletons. But I'm gonna take over the world as bugmen. You know, once I'm done stealing a few hundred thousand cats so I can build a base.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Challenge run, only recruit Southern Hivers and make sure to grab the sole SH unique character.

lol don't actually do this, I tried once and it took hours to find a Southern Hiver slave to free who didn't immediately gently caress off

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

There are unique hivers?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nuebot posted:

There are unique hivers?

There are ones with unique dialogue or recruitment yeah.

Espher is the sole Southern Hiver unique, you can find him imprisoned in Tengu's Vault and its kind of a pain in the rear end to get him out. Also his only unique dialogue happens while you're breaking out of Tengu's Vault.

Ray is the only unique Hiver Soldier, he's a slave you can buy and had his tongue ripped out. Uniquely this makes him the only recruit in the game that can't interact with any shopkeepers.

Beep is uh, Beep and the mascot of the game with the most unique dialogue of anyone I think? The other unique Western Hiver Worker is Green who comes as a competent crossbowhiver and has a few unique convos.

Silvershade is a unique Hiver Prince who has slightly better than average stats and a few unique bits of dialogue. The other unique Hiver Prince you can get is Yamdu who has endgame absurd stats, but you can only pick him up if you take out Tinfist and report in to Longren at the Trader's Guild who has him go with you as a reward.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 18, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zore posted:

There are ones with unique dialogue or recruitment yeah.

Espher is the sole Southern Hiver unique, you can find him imprisoned in Tengu's Vault and its kind of a pain in the rear end to get him out. Also his only unique dialogue happens while you're breaking out of Tengu's Vault.

Ray is the only unique Hiver Soldier, he's a slave you can buy and had his tongue ripped out. Uniquely this makes him the only recruit in the game that can't interact with any shopkeepers.

Beep is uh, Beep and the mascot of the game with the most unique dialogue of anyone I think? The other unique Western Hiver Worker is Green who comes as a competent crossbowhiver and has a few unique convos.

Silvershade is a unique Hiver Prince who has slightly better than average stats and a few unique bits of dialogue. The other unique Hiver Prince you can get is Yamdu who has endgame absurd stats, but you can only pick him up if you take out Tinfist and report in to Longren at the Trader's Guild who has him go with you as a reward.

You mean to tell me Beep wasn't a skeleton this whole time?

Seriously though I never knew about the other ones. I look forward to getting many weirdly shaped hive in my crew.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Agnu can't interact with shopkeepers either but makes up for it with their unique interactions with Beep.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I found Green and he got all of his limbs destroyed by blood spiders while I was paying attention to someone else in a different town. I think he lived only because he was standing at the door of one of the town bars in Shark. Apparently, since nothing has been amputated his limbs can't be replaced with prosthetics, and I discovered that splints aren't for repairing broken/damaged limbs, but they're more like an immediate health boost?

Great part is that he can still pick up items and sell things, so when more blood spiders come or people are killed, I've been using him to pick up their stuff and sell to local traders. It's just a very long crawl.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 18, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I unwisely started my hive run in the hub and spent way too long stealing everything I could from shek town and selling it back at the hub so I could afford a shack and start doing research and training. Once this squad can outrun bandits I'll start working on building a hiver army and burning down the world.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

TheMostFrench posted:

I found Green and he got all of his limbs destroyed by blood spiders while I was paying attention to someone else in a different town. I think he lived only because he was standing at the door of one of the town bars in Shark. Apparently, since nothing has been amputated his limbs can't be replaced with prosthetics, and I discovered that splints aren't for repairing broken/damaged limbs, but they're more like an immediate health boost?

Great part is that he can still pick up items and sell things, so when more blood spiders come or people are killed, I've been using him to pick up their stuff and sell to local traders. It's just a very long crawl.

Splints basically give limbs a kind of temporary health for the purposes of functioning, so you can get someone with low limb health walking or running or fighting again.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Just let poor Green sleep off his chewed up limbs.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
All this talk of the Bugmaster in this day and age... it never gets old.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Nothing spooked me more than the time I was setting up a plan to take out Bugmaster just for him to clip from the second floor to the first floor of his building and him chopping off someone's limb

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm an adult and gotten over the urge to buy dumb videogame tchotchkes but this sweater looks pretty sick, ngl

https://robaroba.gg/products/kenshi-sweater

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

moot the hopple posted:

I'm an adult and gotten over the urge to buy dumb videogame tchotchkes but this sweater looks pretty sick, ngl

lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

moot the hopple posted:

i want it

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
in case anyone hasn't seen this yet:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3016097769

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They must have done some updates since I last played. I don’t see the City Conflagration anywhere

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMD7PkTS1d8

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It took a few tries but I think I'm slowly getting the game. I still think some things take too long to build up but some of the joy in this game is figuring out ways to break it. Pulling a legion of monsters to the town guard is nothing new: I did that stuff in Gothic but it is a really rad feature. I'm leveling stealth by running around an enemy playing dead and I went from 1 to 30 in like 2 minutes. It's so dumb that it's great. What the game's about is more so how this broke and jank world interacts with each other and coming across all sorts of nonsense. I'll keep going and see what new and exciting jank I come across.

I am glad I looked up weapon stuff to use because I heard Katanas turn into hot garbage at the end-game due to the kind of enemies you'll be fighting a lot and how they're bad against armor. Polearms seem to be fine, though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Kung-fu is really fun. If you can survive that long.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Remember, ABC
Always Be Carrying an unconscious guy

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The strat for high tier strength training is to get injuries on your character, taking their effective strength down, so that a guy and a backpack full of rocks brings their strength training rate back up to 50%

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remember to carry the backpack-full-of-rocks in your hands rather than wearing it, since worn backpacks give discounts on the weight inside.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I apparently haven't played this in three years, but I wonder if it isn't time to fire it back up again. Steam says I have almost 600 hours in. I recall my last game had a self-sustaining black desert base operated by a couple of robots, plus a small adventuring party of 3-4 heavily armed weirdos who roamed around looking for trouble. Nothing gets the blood pumping like setting up the crossbow firing squad, popping open some abandoned tower expecting a security bot or two, then getting rushed by a swarm of blood spiders.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

I apparently haven't played this in three years, but I wonder if it isn't time to fire it back up again. Steam says I have almost 600 hours in. I recall my last game had a self-sustaining black desert base operated by a couple of robots, plus a small adventuring party of 3-4 heavily armed weirdos who roamed around looking for trouble. Nothing gets the blood pumping like setting up the crossbow firing squad, popping open some abandoned tower expecting a security bot or two, then getting rushed by a swarm of blood spiders.

The solution to this is to be far enough away that it gives the guy on crossbow turrets enough time to gun enough of them down to make a difference. Or be robots (robots are superior).

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Slave start continues to be the ultimate ninja training camp. Lockpick your bindings and carry them. Guards give you more so you can practice lock picking. Bindings are heavy. Sneak into guard house to steal food. Train sneak. Get caught, train toughness and martial arts. Repeat. Game good.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and when you are Ready, KO all the guards and chain them up, and free all the slaves that are willing to come with you, man that is a SATISFYING video game interaction :allears:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When does martial arts start to come into its own? I'm at level 25 now and it looks like that weak-rear end nonsense beginner punch is gone or at least I haven't seen it used in a while. My current loop is to beat up some bandit, heal them up and when they come to and play dead I sneak around their body. My sneak is level 90 thanks to this nonsense because I'm wearing a full suit of heavy armor that the skill is functionally 0.

I'm starting to understand how training works. You have to Goku it up and wear stuff that runs contrary to what the skill needs to thrive. Yes, I discovered the back full of rocks stuff. In this case it's bag full of copper ore.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

protip: slave shackles weigh a ton. when you are enslaved and you unlock your shackles and the guards catch you and chain you up again, they very kindly give you another set of shackles. very quickly you can have a bunch of shackles, FOR FREE!! the guards are trying to help you

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Jimbot posted:

When does martial arts start to come into its own? I'm at level 25 now and it looks like that weak-rear end nonsense beginner punch is gone or at least I haven't seen it used in a while. My current loop is to beat up some bandit, heal them up and when they come to and play dead I sneak around their body. My sneak is level 90 thanks to this nonsense because I'm wearing a full suit of heavy armor that the skill is functionally 0.

I'm starting to understand how training works. You have to Goku it up and wear stuff that runs contrary to what the skill needs to thrive. Yes, I discovered the back full of rocks stuff. In this case it's bag full of copper ore.

Should start getting good soon, but you MUST have good strength too. Once you have both strength and martial arts skills up you'll start punching off limbs and killing people in a single blow. Get your toughness up too

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, only stat that's lacking is perception but by and large I have a really even spread of stats. 29/36/36. Strength is only lacking a bit is because I didn't figure out the Goku weight training stuff until a little later. But at this point I'm at a near-constant heavy encumbrance so that should even things out soon enough.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Kenshi 2 whennnn

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BadLlama posted:

Kenshi 2 whennnn

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Come back in 10 years or so probably.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'd be fine if they'd go back to doing more game progress updates. I can wait 15 years again, I just need that drip feed lol.

I guess it's a good thing if the reason there's not been any posts is because it's all engine and mechanics work though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They made a bunch of money off of the sales of Kenshi so now it doesn't have to just be literally 1 guy doing the hermit lifestyle thing, they can throw more labor at it. The main reason Kenshi took 12 years to make was because Chris Hunt literally did almost all the development work himself while working as a part time security guard and eating dirt.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah

my fav. kenshi lore is that the project got started almost entirely because he bought an asset pack of cool katana animations and wanted to make a game that used them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

When does martial arts start to come into its own?

One answer to this is “never”. A lot of people that hype martial arts use mods that change the animations to make it more viable. Unmodded martial arts has its moments, like flying kicking a dude’s arms off or whatever, but if you watch your martial artist closely you’ll notice that they spend a lot of time dodging and dancing around doing nothing. Against fast attackers or multiple enemies, your martial artist can essentially stun lock themselves in their dodge animation.