Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
s8 on watchOS 9.4 - told me the battery level of the watch, not the phone

siri sucks rear end despite a decade+ of apple blathering on about how great it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

marktheando posted:

Yeah i mainly use it for setting timers for cooking, and sometimes siri thinks "set timer for nine minutes" means "set an alarm for 9am"

I'm on a s8 and siri won't tell me my phone's battery level.

I had an iPhone alarm with the label "Fratelli" for many years, because I asked Siri to set an alarm "for 10am" and it responded "ok, what time would you like your Fratelli alarm?"

Setting reminders is my main use case, so much faster than typing/digging

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

The Grumbles posted:

If you ask Siri via your watch how charged your phone is, it’ll tell you.

I just asked her, she told me how charged my watch was.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine told me the Watch's battery level

....thanks

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Spending 500 dollars or whatever on the series 8 was worth it to see the health data on my phone showing me making steady progress with my exercise routine I've started and getting a big self esteem bump.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Flowing Thot posted:

making steady progress with my exercise routine I've started and getting a big self esteem bump.

That is absolutely a high value life change :)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It is frankly unbelievable how buoying it is to be able to do essentially the same things at the same level
of difficulty but also watch a number go up while you do it (or one number in particular go down).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Since ultra bands are insanely overpriced I finally caved and bought a bunch of knockoff bands for roughly €7-12 each off Amazon and while you can tell they’re not as nice as the original ones they’re close enough. Rules to have some choice again. And it’s neat that you can adjust the buckle slip on the ocean ones.

Seriously though €99 for a band??? It seems sorta kinda maybe slightly justified for the mountain and ocean ones as they seem slightly more complex but for the trail band?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Corb3t posted:

You pay for it, but AppleCare in general is such a great service. I don’t use it often, but the few cases where I have were amazing, all done via messages chat, and they overnighted my replacement.

The problem with AppleCare is that it can make people believe that literally any other post-purchase protection plan is worth buying.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, trading in my braided solo loop for a smaller one turned out to be an adventure, since Apple refused to just swap them in a store and insisted on wasting my time and their money doing the full mail-in replacement, then sent a UPS guy to me, but didn't let me choose when he would show up, so of course he came when I was at work, and I had to retrieve the labels and mail it back through UPS myself, and then UPS lost it, and also Apple broke my order page so I couldn't access any tracking through Apple, so I had to chat to Apple again and they politely asked UPS what the gently caress and UPS suddenly found it and started shipping it again. From there it turned around fine though. The new loops a tiny bit tight but not really problematically so and this will probably fix itself over time.

So, like, 1 month watch trip report: I love it? I wasn't really expecting that. I basically got the thing for two reasons; my birthday had passed and I wanted a shiny toy, and also I wanted some kind of fitness tracker so I could get to work on getting something resembling in shape. But it turns out a ton of little integrations are just really nice. When walking around in a city using Maps it excels because it's 100x easier to check your wrist than to check your phone, and frankly I don't even need to do that most of the time since I can just take the next turn whenever it sends a tap. Sleep tracking was a pain to set up at first but now that it's working it's producing data and the Sleep app itself is just barely enough of an improvement over Alarms to have replaced it (sidenote: none of you understand how hilarious it is that even now, after over a decade of Alarms.app, 15 iOS updates, two entire original product lines of which one explicitly focuses on timekeeping, the ejection of Scott Forstall, the rejection of skeuomorphism in iOS, the addition of a new dedicated Sleep app, and Apple's decision to embrace sleep tracking and sleep health as a system function, we still, still, are limited to exclusively a 9 minute snooze on ringing alarms with no customisation or configuration possible - a convention that dates from mechanical alarm clocks. I have a little mental breakdown each time I think about this). The Torch feature took me completely by surprise for how useful it is; that screen gets plenty bright, and the light is attached to me and I don't have to hold it. The timers are great for when I need them and I love that it can alert me basically silently. It works great as a remote for Apple TV or when I'm just playing music to whatever speaker from my phone. Also, the buoying effect of being able to watch fitness numbers go up inspired me to do so much exercise that I gave myself tendonitis. Whoops. Also, what the gently caress do you even do with blood oxygen information? It's cool that I have a toy that can tell it to me but, like, seriously, what is the point of this.

I'd like to fill it out with cool Watch apps but it's my understanding that there basically aren't any, and I can't think of any obvious use for it. The most specific I've got is I put Authy on it because it makes it 5x faster to quickly grab a 2FA code vs using the phone. Any App Store sleeper hits I should know?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Blood O2 was probably entirely a response to COVID, I doubt there is any other practical usage for it. Even during COVID heights the practicality of O2 sat numbers in healthy individuals was debated.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it got my dad to go in and get diagnosed with congestive heart failure, he thought he just had bad allergies but his blood o2 was in the mid 80s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Blood O2 was probably entirely a response to COVID, I doubt there is any other practical usage for it. Even during COVID heights the practicality of O2 sat numbers in healthy individuals was debated.

Athletes love knowing their vo2 max. Yes the watch is way too inaccurate to be useful but it's still a good marketing gimmick.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Athletes love knowing their vo2 max. Yes the watch is way too inaccurate to be useful but it's still a good marketing gimmick.

VO2 max doesn't use the O2 sensor tho. It estimates it using heart rate and motion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

VO2 max doesn't use the O2 sensor tho. It estimates it using heart rate and motion.

Well today I leaned. I guess my dumb rear end figured they were leveraging that sensor in some way since it all showed up with the same watch version.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Well today I leaned. I guess my dumb rear end figured they were leveraging that sensor in some way since it all showed up with the same watch version.
Blood oxygen saturation and VO2 aren't really related since a healthy blood oxygen saturation is going to be between 95-100% at al times in a healthy person, while VO2 is a measure of how much oxygen you're moving through your body. Laboratory tests of VO2 measure it using a breathing apparatus that measures oxygen in and CO2 out. Any Apple Watch since the Series 3 can estimate it (though it requires the appropriate WatchOS, yes).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why TF did they change the tap that a phone ringing makes. It’s annoying.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too bad O2 saturation measurement (through the wrist) is nearly impossible when you're in any kind of motion. Because I'd love to see what happens when overexerting during sports.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Inner Light posted:

Healthy is an iffy operative. If I remember correctly, people weren't presenting with indications that their O2 was almost fatally low and with little reason to believe it was and were just crooking. I believe it was/is a pretty good indication between non-fatal COVID loving sucks and if you don't go to the hospital, you are going to die.

Zwille posted:

Seriously though €99 for a band??? It seems sorta kinda maybe slightly justified for the mountain and ocean ones as they seem slightly more complex but for the trail band?

It's an $800 watch with extensive marketing that it is an $800 watch, Apple knows what they are selling and it isn't watches to scuba divers. Do you know how many 80 year olds wear Submariners?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 4, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone have a watch running app that shows projected finish time? I don’t think the stock one does this.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Got a S8 on release day. Today I found out it has a flashlight function.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You can tell Siri to turn on the flashlight too and if you swipe it can do flashes if you forgot to bring your lamp on a late run and are worried someone might run you over :v:

I’ve used the turn on flashlight command a lot of times when taking out the trash , it’s great

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No but seriously how do I change the incoming call vibration back to what it was? This new tapping is annoying AF.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

MarcusSA posted:

No but seriously how do I change the incoming call vibration back to what it was? This new tapping is annoying AF.

Open the Watch app and search “Haptics”. I can’t remember what the old style was but there is a Prominent version that is a lot more like what I remember.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where's the setting to go back to the old spin the crown to unlock. I really dislike holding it down, it feels slower to me.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I've run out of options, so I'm going to ask here.
(Yes, I've Googled/DuckDuck'd every possible solution and combination, and of course all the obvious things are the way they should be.)

Why in the hell can I make my Watch notify me with a vibration and a sound when a Calendar event is triggered, but the phone won't while [they're both] on DND Focus due to the mirroring?

Of course, the phone will have a banner, but won't vibrate or play a sound, even though I've enabled that in "Allowed Notifications" under DND Focus, made sure notifications come through via "Notifications," hosed with "Sound and Haptics" or whatever, but the only thing that will audibly alert while in DND is the Watch.
How is this possible?

I was going to ask in the iPhone thread, but they seem to be talking about other stuff.

I tried to cheat and replaced Calendar.app with the Google Calendar app, but I get the exact same result.
Why would the Watch vibrate and make a noise while in DND, but the phone won't?

On the DND "Allowed Contacts," the phone will still ring if they're a favorite, or an allowed person, so obviously the phone will make a noise while in DND (not to mention the alarm obviously still works) if you tell it to, but why won't it do it for Calendar events? Does it just only make a sound/vibrate if it's a phone call? That's like the only possibility, because I'm 99.9% sure I've tried everything. :suicide:

edit: Or is this just not possible? But if you look at it logically, it *should* work with the given permissions. I'm up to Test 12, and nothing has worked. Can someone please tell me I'm not losing my mind here?

edit2: I forgot, since forever, I've had the phone make noise when I get a text from someone who is "on the list."
I don't think the Calendar events thing is possible. c/d?

edit3: Seriously, last edit. Why would the Watch break through the wall of DND the way I have it set set up, but the phone won't. Alerts from Fitness, and like I said, Allowed Apps and Contacts and the like also break through. Am I missing something? :shobon:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 13, 2023

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

Where's the setting to go back to the old spin the crown to unlock. I really dislike holding it down, it feels slower to me.

you don’t

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

eightysixed posted:

I've run out of options, so I'm going to ask here.
(Yes, I've Googled/DuckDuck'd every possible solution and combination, and of course all the obvious things are the way they should be.)

Why in the hell can I make my Watch notify me with a vibration and a sound when a Calendar event is triggered, but the phone won't while [they're both] on DND Focus due to the mirroring?

Of course, the phone will have a banner, but won't vibrate or play a sound, even though I've enabled that in "Allowed Notifications" under DND Focus, made sure notifications come through via "Notifications," hosed with "Sound and Haptics" or whatever, but the only thing that will audibly alert while in DND is the Watch.
How is this possible?

I was going to ask in the iPhone thread, but they seem to be talking about other stuff.

I tried to cheat and replaced Calendar.app with the Google Calendar app, but I get the exact same result.
Why would the Watch vibrate and make a noise while in DND, but the phone won't?

On the DND "Allowed Contacts," the phone will still ring if they're a favorite, or an allowed person, so obviously the phone will make a noise while in DND (not to mention the alarm obviously still works) if you tell it to, but why won't it do it for Calendar events? Does it just only make a sound/vibrate if it's a phone call? That's like the only possibility, because I'm 99.9% sure I've tried everything. :suicide:

edit: Or is this just not possible? But if you look at it logically, it *should* work with the given permissions. I'm up to Test 12, and nothing has worked. Can someone please tell me I'm not losing my mind here?

edit2: I forgot, since forever, I've had the phone make noise when I get a text from someone who is "on the list."
I don't think the Calendar events thing is possible. c/d?

edit3: Seriously, last edit. Why would the Watch break through the wall of DND the way I have it set set up, but the phone won't. Alerts from Fitness, and like I said, Allowed Apps and Contacts and the like also break through. Am I missing something? :shobon:

to clarify, do you mean with the phone off or on? when your iPhone is locked, only calls will show up and make noise with an Apple Watch on your wrist. All other notifications will go through your watch. once you unlock your phone, then your watch won’t notify

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have clearly made a grave miscalculation.

(I powered it off on a ferry)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

xzzy posted:

I have clearly made a grave miscalculation.

(I powered it off on a ferry)

That narrows it down to 1/3 of the planet, what more do you really need.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That narrows it down to 1/3 of the planet, what more do you really need.

It puts the dot on the map so you can really narrow it down tbh!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, that's also fun when you're traveling across the country and your macbook gets reported as left behind at a gas station an hour back

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We got my daughter an iPhone. She had already had an Apple Watch but it was a stand-alone watch under our family plan (with Verizon). I unpaired it from my wife’s phone and paired it with the new phone and everything went well except for the cellular plan.

It will no longer connect to the Verizon network. On the watch, it shows Verizon as a “not in use” network but I can only delete that network from the watch. When I go through the phone app, it will send me a verification text code and then it asks me to register her account.

What do I need to do to get this watch working with her phone?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Anyone using the developer beta? Ultra in particular.

About to head out hiking for a week in a national park, I would really like to try but not if it is going to be basically useless on top of unstable as poo poo.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I would not use a beta in that situation, personally.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
dying of heat stroke in the cascades because my watch is frozen on the snoopy face

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We got my daughter an iPhone. She had already had an Apple Watch but it was a stand-alone watch under our family plan (with Verizon). I unpaired it from my wife’s phone and paired it with the new phone and everything went well except for the cellular plan.

It will no longer connect to the Verizon network. On the watch, it shows Verizon as a “not in use” network but I can only delete that network from the watch. When I go through the phone app, it will send me a verification text code and then it asks me to register her account.

What do I need to do to get this watch working with her phone?

You need to turn on number share , which you can only do by calling in (it is a bit confusing in terms of set up so I kind of get it).

Call here: (800) 392-0717

You may need to erase and re setup watch afterwards.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Beta battery life on the Watch is bad, I'd recommend against it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Grumbles posted:

dying of heat stroke in the cascades because my watch is frozen on the snoopy face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

if i bought an apple watch to use while running, but only to listen to apple music, is the watch going to get mad at me if i don't have it on my wrist?

in other words, does an apple watch still do its thing if i don't have the back of it against my skin

i just want to run without my phone, and i can shove a 41mm apple watch in the integrated pocket of my running shorts.

essentially a modern ipod shuffle, but with the ability to use apple music and bluetooth