Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Voice of Labor posted:

pointless. after the dust settles, reddit will install the first a.i. ceo. in the ensuing technological singularity all websites will be reddit

I'm pretty sure that for you, every website already is reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

lol

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

This makes so much sense, and was also exactly what I (as a tech worker) was worried about when Musk took over Twitter. Twitter was obviously going to implode eventually under Musk, but if it didn't do it fast enough, other tech companies' management might decide that they don't need their workers either. I wouldn't be surprised if Musk was semi-directly responsible for the current tech-industy-wide layoffs and chaos.

I'm in a similar boat to you and it's been gratifying to see Twitter fall flat with DeSantis's campaign announcement etc.

That said I think certain large tech companies definitely tend to calcify as they get bigger and become more and more risk averse, and I think radical crap like what he pulled is all you can really do to keep somewhere like Google from turning into somewhere like IBM or Oracle (which it is, very rapidly). Twitter is poo poo that new grads are expected to know how to design end to end on a whiteboard in 45 minutes in an interview, idk why they have over 1000 engineers for it.

On the flipside Reddit has always been a low paying shithole full of morons AFAIK, if they had any talent it'd be them rolling out ChatGPT. Contrary to how it seems to a layman, this technology is not new, it's been around since 2017 and Reddit has had the data for it this whole time, they just didn't have the vision or the foresight or the talent on board to do it themselves. So let them fire everyone I guess? Working for an Oracle or a Microsoft acquisition is pretty soul-draining, I can't imagine how bad it is working under the boomer dipshits that run Conde Nast

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

After the earl fail whale period, twitter overcorrected hard on reliability. Most of the engineers worked on making sure no surge or crash would cause twitter to go offline, and in the years directly before Musk bought, they had near perfect uptime. They probably spent too much on reliability, because it appears people would tolerate twitter going down once or twice a month, or having an occasional feature fail for no viable reason. But reliability at mega-scales is a hard job that requires many engineers.

I don't know if you remember the early days, but this used to be a pretty common sight.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Reliability isn't just for users, you lose millions in revenue at that scale if you go down even for ten minutes. But what's a few million in lost revenue when you've already bought the company for twice as much as it's worth

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Can anyone describe what FYAD and BYOB are for someone who didn't understand them when they registered, then "left" SA for 8 years to reddit, and now that they're back they still don't understand them?

Asking for a friend

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

they are the yin and the yang of shitposting

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

feverish and oversexed posted:

Can anyone describe what FYAD and BYOB are for someone who didn't understand them when they registered, then "left" SA for 8 years to reddit, and now that they're back they still don't understand them?

Asking for a friend

they’re the “christian mingle” and “farmers only”, respectively, of sa

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

inside somethingawful.com there are two wolves

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They're the two possible responses I get when I ask if I'm invited to the party

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the best way to experience byob is to post there. they're friendly and chill. there is no best, or good, or even acceptable way to experience fyad

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Asking for a friend

They’re both shitposting forums but one is nice and one is mean. They have very specific cultures analogous to nothing else. Read it and if you feel like you don’t get it you’re right and move on.

I will say that someone probably can become a BYOB poster. But FYAD posters are born, not made.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

My neighbor is schizophrenic and had the cops called on him last April. I recorded all 'dat. He broke out a window and meticulously cleaned the window frame. He did a similar 5years ago. It's something else listening to it - the most convincing nonsense I ever heard

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

The Voice of Labor posted:

the best way to experience byob is to post there. they're friendly and chill. there is no best, or good, or even acceptable way to experience fyad

Lmao

Thanks everyone that actually helped

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Asking for a friend

one is funny, the other is blue

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

This whole thing just became a lot more hilarious if the CEO of reddit predicated all of this upon the false metrics Elon bragged about

Keep in mind the goal is probably not to build a profitable company but to build an influential propaganda tool to sell to Saudi intelligence for $$$. That's his exit.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I suspect he's not actually doing this with a clear exit strategy. It was basically an impulse buy, and it's better to look at it like a weird hobby for him than an investment.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
More websites need to emulate Elon Musk's tendencies so I can write them off easier.

Alternatively, less need to, so I don't have as many headaches when browsing the internet.

Either way, I can safely say that the current balance is not ideal.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I will say, welcomes aside, it feels a bit odd to have ppl 'returning' to sa. Like, you could have just posted/lurked on both? I guess it's convenient to have a home base of sorts :) welcome!

Also, I guess we may get a small influx of new users entirely. New blood on sa forums in 2023 hell yeah fuxk me up also come play forum mafia we could always do with new players lol

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Lampsacus posted:

I will say, welcomes aside, it feels a bit odd to have ppl 'returning' to sa. Like, you could have just posted/lurked on both? I guess it's convenient to have a home base of sorts :) welcome!

I am not online enough for two forums. I can check one during my downtime at work and r/relationships was way less sad than e/n

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

r/relationships was way less sad than e/n

There are places on both sites that are even less sad than r/relationships

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Lampsacus posted:

Also, I guess we may get a small influx of new users entirely. New blood on sa forums in 2023 hell yeah fuxk me up also come play forum mafia we could always do with new players lol
15 years in between visits here, forgot SA existed until I cracked open a super old email account recently. I was a POS and quite rightly got banned, but didn't decide to give it another go until now because I really don't like the style of standard vBulletin forums. It's all tabular, it's all disjointed and works against threads within threads. It's all a little bit 2002.

Seeing all these reddit alternatives popping up now, and it's pretty telling that they all look like old.reddit. Say what you want about the way it's been ran and all that (and you'd probably be justified in saying it), but the ultra-compact, indented comment chain style just feels about as close to perfect as it gets.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Lusty Grundles posted:

It's all a little bit 2002.

That's the point.

FAH Q
Aug 19, 2007

Certified Monster Fucker

Dick Fontaine posted:

inside somethingawful.com there are two wolves

I'm loving dead - what a perfect explanation I can't even verbalize.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I left for about two years, and ended up doomscrolling lots of other places as a result. Now that I'm back here, I'm realizing just how much happier I am to not continually read other trash. This is the highest quality trash.

But frankly it is refreshing just how much better and more chill it is here compared to other places. And when people give others poo poo here, it's (generally) warranted.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Lusty Grundles posted:

the ultra-compact, indented comment chain style just feels about as close to perfect as it gets.

sorry this is maybe the insanest thing I've ever read on the internet

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

They’re both shitposting forums but one is nice and one is mean. They have very specific cultures analogous to nothing else. Read it and if you feel like you don’t get it you’re right and move on.

I will say that someone probably can become a BYOB poster. But FYAD posters are born, not made.

This is honestly the best way explanation of both of those forums

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

sorry this is maybe the insanest thing I've ever read on the internet
I accept your apology.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is honestly the best way explanation of both of those forums

I would respect the conclusion more had op nailed the last piece of the research puzzle, that anyone can be a byob poster if they smoke enough weed

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if you post in fyad, you'd better be prepared to say bye-bye to your account

once you're marked, it's only a matter of time before the cabal turns its attention to you and there is no limit to their reach

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also, that reminds me of the Around the Forums in 80 Days thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013875

this should be part of the orientation packet for new and returning posters. a lot of nooks and crannies to be explored.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i can’t believe—that in the year 2023—goons are still depriving others of the teaching joy that is discovering fyad for yourself

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Do we have some digital Ellis Island thread for incoming redditors to help them get started on their posting career and show them the ropes and how to shoot them?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we need a tutorial area where you get your first 10 levels

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Bad Purchase posted:

if you post in fyad, you'd better be prepared to say bye-bye to your account

once you're marked, it's only a matter of time before the cabal turns its attention to you and there is no limit to their reach

I mean the limit is not posting in FYAD anymore

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bad Purchase posted:

Killing rats in a basement by posting poorly.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

burning loaves of bread then making too much raw dough as overcompensation

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lusty Grundles posted:

15 years in between visits here, forgot SA existed until I cracked open a super old email account recently. I was a POS and quite rightly got banned, but didn't decide to give it another go until now because I really don't like the style of standard vBulletin forums. It's all tabular, it's all disjointed and works against threads within threads. It's all a little bit 2002.

Seeing all these reddit alternatives popping up now, and it's pretty telling that they all look like old.reddit. Say what you want about the way it's been ran and all that (and you'd probably be justified in saying it), but the ultra-compact, indented comment chain style just feels about as close to perfect as it gets.
If that's what you want, that's your business, but there is the reason why BBS', Usenet, forums, email clients designed to handle mailing lists, text-/image-boards and basically every other way of interacting with people has favoured simple listings and made threading optional.

Indenting threaded comments are explicitly designed to foster echo chambers, and sites that implement it are doing it because they think this is a good idea.

As for letting what's important be designed based on an algorithm that is, at best, opague - well, have you seen how bad search engines are now? Yeah, that's the future of every algorithm.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you only need the nested comment threads when the scale of posting gets huge. but by the time that happens, wherever you're posting has long lost any sense of community or unique culture and there's no reason to post there anymore anyway unless you're trying to promote something.

i suspect the vast majority of subreddits could be replaced by a discord and continue on just fine. it's only the enormous ones that need all the algorithmic and hierarchical comment sorting, and all of those are poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

you only need the nested comment threads when the scale of posting gets huge. but by the time that happens, wherever you're posting has long lost any sense of community or unique culture and there's no reason to post there anymore anyway unless you're trying to promote something.

i suspect the vast majority of subreddits could be replaced by a discord and continue on just fine. it's only the enormous ones that need all the algorithmic and hierarchical comment sorting, and all of those are poo poo.
Yeah, going from for-profit service to another is definitely going to go well.