Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
then you just unspec the single point? I've seen people make mediocre builds, but I've never seen someone actually brick a character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thank you all. Very helpful. Guess I'm gonna grind renown for the freebies.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

then you just unspec the single point? I've seen people make mediocre builds, but I've never seen someone actually brick a character

My reasoning is that you start investing in the tree by lvl 2 and its easy to eventually have a skill tree that is just massively inadequate / counterproductive by the time you get to maps

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
eh even new players usually have fine trees because you just get damage or life. tbh the big reason I think more characters don't get bricked on the skill tree is that it's pretty obvious if things apply to your build and there's only even so many options to waste points on. where new peoples' characters tend to be really bad is that they have absolutely trash gear because they understandably don't know what is important

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Leadthumb posted:

Then don't slot it, that's the trade off.

Its not a fun tradeoff.

You can't brick a character because everything is refundable. Maybe you could make a character so bad it can't kill anything... but I doubt it. It would be annoying to get gold to respec a terrible character of high enough level, but you can always just go to WT1 where I feel like even your basic skill should be able to kill stuff for the 100,000 gold or so you'd need to refund. That's a handful of yellow items.

Maybe if the effort to do that didn't feel worth it, that could count as bricking.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 17, 2023

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

levelling without the campaign is awful holy poo poo. hope they've got something planned for season 1

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hashy posted:

levelling without the campaign is awful holy poo poo. hope they've got something planned for season 1

Can you put royal gems in low level equipment? All characters share gold and materials, right?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Hashy posted:

yeah I started doing an alt without campaign and immediately regretted it

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

It's not really player power - if you were able to carve through enemies faster it would be more frustrating because there's just so much travel time and sidequests/dungeon completions arent worth much experience

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

One of my favorite small touches in the game is that carrying something big makes you faster, not slower. It's very obvious that trudging towards a mission objective with the Urn of Sadness or whatever is way less fun than zooming towards it.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah I started doing an alt without campaign and immediately regretted it

It's fine? Do side quests near whispers and you'll get up to speed quickly.

Is there a brief summary of the important stuff from the fireside chat anywhere? Tried watching some of it and it was like some mandatory interminable work meeting put on by HR.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All the stuff you carry on your back is super tiny, if it slowed down my giant beefsteak musclewoman with a bajillion weapons or the literal bear I’d be pretty annoyed.

I do agree upthread a bit that skipping the campaign feels worse than not. There needs to be an alternative to Whispers or running dungeons, though if you get in a good whisper groove you can knock ‘em out pretty quickly.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The campaign is way slower than doing basically anything else lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Made the change last night from Arc Lash to Ice Shards. This build is way more fun in that I do more stuff than hold A but also means I actually have to Play The Game and do things like worry about mana and pay attention to cooldowns. My gear mostly moved with a few aspect changes but in doing so it became apparent:

- No paragon/skill loadout feature suuuuuuuuuuucks. D3 had that for years at this point.
- I’m going to need to somehow start doing better job tracking gear. I’m telling myself I’m only in WT3 (lvl 60, can’t beat Elias solo in the capstone) so I’m not stressing about it yet but managing various loadouts/builds with the existing framework is going to suck.

Unrelated to builds, I was STILL having desync issues on PC even after a re-install until it hit me that the main thing that differed between my PC and the Deck was that the PC had the high-res pack installed. I got rid of it and so far no desyncs yet (since last night) so here’s to hoping that somehow sticks and I can keep playing on PC.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Made the change last night from Arc Lash to Ice Shards.

I’m considering making the change. Did you have 25+% cooldown reduction when you did? I’m close but I’ve read not to do it until you have over 25%

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Blizz also works sick for ice shard build because of the freeze. Spec into + chill a bit and stack a couple at the beginning of each fight

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Extract aspect (I assume above 800 ilvl) costs 553k gold, greed shrine gives a few k gold, side quests 2,500 gold. I just can't wrap my head around these design decisions.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

RCarr posted:

I’m considering making the change. Did you have 25+% cooldown reduction when you did? I’m close but I’ve read not to do it until you have over 25%

I made the swap in WT4 with ~30% CDR and relying on Prodigy for mana (especially with the codex version) is an iffy prospect even then.

I think more than raw CDR, the things that really help with mana are:
- stacking some amount of mana cost reduction
- stacking a ton of lucky hit

I have the Avalanche procs twice, one Lucky Hit regain resource, and with frost shards at ~21% lucky hit, it's pretty trivial to keep topped off except for boss fights. I think having the Lucky Hit stuff is really what pushed me over to being able to sustain frost shards.

But it's super worth it, the damage you can put out is insane, clearing packs is pretty much instant. It's like always having Unstable Currents in terms of speed.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Extract aspect (I assume above 800 ilvl) costs 553k gold, greed shrine gives a few k gold, side quests 2,500 gold. I just can't wrap my head around these design decisions.

Do like... four t40 or above nightmare dungeons and you'll never be worried about this again.

Also non sacred & ancestral aspects (that can have the same roll) are infinitely cheaper.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
u have to sell items and not just salvage them, too

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Astryl posted:

Do like... four t40 or above nightmare dungeons and you'll never be worried about this again.

Also non sacred & ancestral aspects (that can have the same roll) are infinitely cheaper.

I have the gold to do it, because I sell all my yellows. It's just the fact selling one trash yellow gives miles more gold than any quest or greed shrine makes no sense.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RCarr posted:

Nowhere near. There’s some clear downtime to the build without it if you’re not careful but right now I have just enough to make it work on most content. I have to be slow and careful with bosses but anything with more than a couple of mobs it will completely destroy and tear through.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I have the gold to do it, because I sell all my yellows. It's just the fact selling one trash yellow gives miles more gold than any quest or greed shrine makes no sense.

Yeah gold isn't a problem, but gold rewards seem like an afterthought. Ideally, doing a side-quest should award you with a little more than what you'd get for killing and selling for roughly the same amount of time.

Some of the gold costs seem like an afterthought too. It's just kind of nonsensical to pay 1500 gold or whatever to upgrade a potion when I have millions in the bank.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah. Having monsters scale HP and loot but not the quest content they so desperately want us to do... Very odd.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah. Having monsters scale HP and loot but not the quest content they so desperately want us to do... Very odd.

It definitely feels like they thought more people would do side quests during the campaign but even in their dev stream it seems like most of us are considered hardcore gamers by their standards.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Shocked Pikachu face that players zipped past story content barely worked in 2000s MMOs, it's baffling they are trying it here in an ARPG in 2023.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I levelled my alt in pvp. Basically had the zone to myself and grabbed a bunch of cosmetic doodads while I was at it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I think side-quests are neat because they, along with random events, make the world more fun to explore, but they're gonna have to let me pick up all of them at once. Let my quest log be 200 entries long, I don't care, I am the author of my own pain.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

It's fine? Do side quests near whispers and you'll get up to speed quickly.

Is there a brief summary of the important stuff from the fireside chat anywhere? Tried watching some of it and it was like some mandatory interminable work meeting put on by HR.
each small whisper gives roughly the equivalent of 10 skeletal archers worth of experience and each grim favour contributes 30 skeletal archers worth of experience per whispering tree hand-in. Just about possible for one screen clearing ability to net you the exp you get for running around hunting for a corpse and then waiting for the elite to spawn

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

I think side-quests are neat because they, along with random events, make the world more fun to explore, but they're gonna have to let me pick up all of them at once. Let my quest log be 200 entries long, I don't care, I am the author of my own pain.

I prefer them to dungeons for renown. They get you across most of the map (exploration renown), pair up nicely with tree poo poo if the area is tagged, and some are literally a quick "go to the blue zone, kill a dude, have 20 renown". the 20 side quest limit is very annoying but not as annoying as simply not knowing where your missing side quests are (because some of them are item drop triggers so there's no way to have them marked on the map)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I didn’t mind the side quests but the quality is wildly uneven across zones, with Scosglen and Hawezar getting much better writing and activities.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

acumen posted:

I levelled my alt in pvp. Basically had the zone to myself and grabbed a bunch of cosmetic doodads while I was at it.

If my current HC character dies I'll do this for ~ultra HC mode~ on my next character :geti in

Hashy posted:

each small whisper gives roughly the equivalent of 10 skeletal archers worth of experience and each grim favour contributes 30 skeletal archers worth of experience per whispering tree hand-in. Just about possible for one screen clearing ability to net you the exp you get for running around hunting for a corpse and then waiting for the elite to spawn

Tree give orange thing make brain happy

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Have you seem the state of affairs in sanctuary? I mean these people don’t have alot of cash

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I had fun doing the side quests and hunting them down!... once. I think it's going to be a slog doing them again. I suspect season 2 and onwards they are going to make it way easier to get renown though, I just feel like it's going to be way more annoying than some people here are thinking.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Koirhor posted:

Have you seem the state of affairs in sanctuary? I mean these people don’t have alot of cash

Inarius' greatest sin is that I'm walking around with the GDP of Sanctuary in my pockets with no method of wealth redistribution except for the confusingly wealthy blacksmith/enchanter middle class, who seem to be doing nothing with the millions I pour into their businesses.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol @ doign mmo stule side quests in an arpg. im here to slam through the campaign as fast as i can and get to monster killing, not runnign around helping people collect their loving lost husbands or money they're owed

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

queeb posted:

lol @ doign mmo stule side quests in an arpg. im here to slam through the campaign as fast as i can and get to monster killing, not runnign around helping people collect their loving lost husbands or money they're owed

The lost husband begging for more was pretty funny though

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ur gonna explore this rich world we designed for you and you're gonna love it

*gallop my horse into a single pixel and gets stuck*

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking to stream. Im early in the game folks

https://twitch.tv/epic_core_count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Perhaps they can kill two birds with one stone with the battle pass by making some of the milestones "complete 10 sidequests in Scosglen" or "complete 10 unique dungeons in Hawezar".