Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Biden made some claim about a trans-oceanic train that would be built, don't know if it was a gaffe or reference to an existing project but RWM gonna chow down on it.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

bird food bathtub posted:

For large enough or close enough motors, no not really. Not simple, straightforwardly, or cheaply. Electric motors, kinda by definition, will create an electromagnetic field around them. It's, like, what makes them go. If that field is large enough or close enough to a receiver it is going to cause interference. AM radio, using Amplitude Modulation, is going to get poo poo tons of interference out of this as the signal they are receiving is going to have it's amplitude dicked around with left, right, and center by that changing electromagnetic field. FM is largely immune to this as the amplitude is a constant and the frequency is what is used for signal encoding.

Theoretically you could apply system hardening to filter some out but that's a lot of extra poo poo to add to a radio for a consumer level car. That stuff is not even common on hardened, military grade hardware. You could also put the antenna further away from the source but you're limited by the size of a car, so not a solution. Best possible solution I can pull out of my rear end with 30 seconds of thought that could maybe work is to have some kind of software filtering built in to clip out the interference generated by the motor itself but I can see a lot of things that would make that probably not work either. You would need to develop a profile of known interference generated by the motor at every stage of operation, and unique to every vehicle set up based on things like exact proximity and layout of the radio components, to even get started. I'm also not certain that, even armed with that exact profile, you would be able to separate out the noise generated. I'd have to dig back in to my radio commo theory books to be certain but I'm not sure on the receiving end there's any way to pull down the signal in a given area by a known amount and have coherent output resembling the original signal.

Pennsyltucky is closer, we're pretty far from Alabama.

You're correct, but you're also making it sound like a challenge that carmakers hadn't already largely overcome. We've had AM radio in hybrid and electric cars for years, but manufacturers realized this was a place where they could cut production costs because it's a feature that few customers would miss.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Def voting for whoever is pro-ocean train tbqh

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sticksy posted:

I will often listen to AM talk radio when I drive somewhere to hear what brokebrained nonsense they’re pitching to their angry senile listeners and you’re right, Hannity just has the same spiel over and over and over.

I would say it’s tiring but it’s the repetition that his fans need to recall and get continually worked up over Hillary’s 30,000 emails and bleachbit and the Russian Collusion Delusion and Fake Dossier and the rest of his greatest hits.
I listened to some Hannity on a car trip and he gave me "pastor" vibes (or maybe priest is more accurate) that was different from television. I thought he was good at talking to his audience and sounding empathetic but he was doing the equivalent of holding their hands and walking them into voting for DeSantis while saying "I know Trump was the greatest president we've ever had... but... we can't afford four more years of radical Democrats in the White House..."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Def voting for whoever is pro-ocean train tbqh
Biden working to win back the LaRouche vote.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
A high speed train rocketing across the Atlantic sounds badass as hell and this is another instance of the GOP making Biden and the Dems look way cooler than they actually are.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Space Fish posted:

Biden made some claim about a tran-oceanic train that would be built, don't know if it was a gaffe or reference to an existing project but RWM gonna chow down on it.

The problem is they never know how not to run a meme into the ground, so whatever it was at first, "Ocean train" is just going to become an abstract symbol wholly separate from its origins within a week

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Space Fish posted:

Biden made some claim about a tran-oceanic train that would be built, don't know if it was a gaffe or reference to an existing project but RWM gonna chow down on it.

While talking about a rail line, he said "We’re talking about building — and I had my team putting together with other countries as well — to build a railroad from the Pacific Ocean — from the Atlantic Ocean all the way to the Indian Ocean."

People who want to attack him immediately went all in on calling it the amazing underwater railway by ignoring the immediate correction. The railway is actually supposed to go across sub-Saharan Africa and does indeed go from the Atlantic Ocean to the Indian Ocean.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's wild how there is no middle ground with regard to that subway strangler. Chuds are convinced if you get in trouble for choking a crazy person to death than it's just total anarchy because law abiding citizens will be too afraid to do anything if someone gets threatened or attacked.

Then there's the chuds that are completely fine with the idea of train stations being totally lawless because it's libs getting what they (voted for) and deserve.

Here's the thing-if I cared so much about heroically stopping some rapist from menacing an innocent woman on the subway, my own conviction would surely exceed my hesitation due to possible consequences to me. I'm not going to worry about being arrested or "canceled" for stopping the assailant.

So the fact that they would straight up let a crime happen out of principle is very telling. They're upset that the injustice takes place but they're too cowardly to back up their words with actions.

Meanwhile you have lots of other scenarios that happen which they never consider-there was the guy who was harassing a Muslim woman and stabbed two good Samaritans to death when they tried to intervene. Conversely you have a fair number of straight up mass shootings eventually foiled by unarmed people dogpiling the assailant but still keeping him alive to stand trial. So "it's either murder the guy or do nothing" is a ridiculously binary take.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He literally murdered a guy in front of tons of witnesses who hadn't done anything threatening beyond saying some random things. It's unfortunately very telling that the right holds this clown up as some kind of hero.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
More crucially, they envision a reality where that was the only option. It's all-or-nothing to them because any kind of hesitation suddenly puts the responsibility of the crime on the bleeding heart too squeamish to strangle that mentally ill man to death. It got me thinking of the bizarro dystopia that is their "ideal" situation and I suddenly remembered something.

I recalled a video from liveleak or reddit or somewhere that took place in south America. A robber on a dirt bike is holding up someone and taking their wallet. A local cop happened to be nearby, saw what was happening, and casually executes the guy right on the spot, just straight up domes him from behind. That's the scenario that conservatives want-that crime gets dealt with swiftly and brutally. But here's the thing about that scenario-in spite of that, the robber was still stupid/desperate enough to rob someone! Even living in a country/culture where people will murder you on the spot for committing a crime doesn't stop brazen crimes from happening, in fact it's quite the opposite it seems. So no amount of strangled mentally ill homeless people will stop this from happening, really.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Panfilo posted:

But here's the thing about that scenario-in spite of that, the robber was still stupid/desperate enough to rob someone! Even living in a country/culture where people will murder you on the spot for committing a crime doesn't stop brazen crimes from happening, in fact it's quite the opposite it seems. So no amount of strangled mentally ill homeless people will stop this from happening, really.

Pence got put on the spot on this very subject a few days ago. The exchange went basically:

Pence: I believe we should increase use of the death penalty because it's the ultimate deterrent, especially for mass shootings.

Interviewer: Research has shown time and again it deters nothing, and especially not mass shootings since most of those guys go into it not expecting to survive.

*awkward pause as Pence squirms and sweats*

Pence: Well I believe it does have a deterrent effect and we just have to trust in that.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Once again the thing that stands out to me about the subway strangler story is how incredibly routine the victim's behavior was by NYC subway standards. I didn't live there very long but probably saw something similar play out at least a dozen times.

Also, there is a pretty fuckin' long interval between when someone in a chokehold goes limp, and when they are at risk of death. And that fuckin' rear end in a top hat had to keep holding on like a maniac that entire time. Even if you somehow thought the only possible response to an Angry Black Man was to choke him, doing that non-leathally should be incredibly easy for a combat-trained person.

Space Fish posted:

Biden made some claim about a trans-oceanic train that would be built, don't know if it was a gaffe or reference to an existing project but RWM gonna chow down on it.
I encourage the GOP to continue to organize their messaging around dumb poo poo that nobody who doesn't mainline RWM would even understand!

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Pence: Well I believe it does have a deterrent effect and we just have to trust in that.

This really sums up the Republican worldview:

"I believe it's true, so it is true. Trust me"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mellow Seas posted:

Once again the thing that stands out to me about the subway strangler story is how incredibly routine the victim's behavior was by NYC subway standards. I didn't live there very long but probably saw something similar play out at least a dozen times.

Also, there is a pretty fuckin' long interval between when someone in a chokehold goes limp, and when they are at risk of death. And that fuckin' rear end in a top hat had to keep holding on like a maniac that entire time. Even if you somehow thought the only possible response to an Angry Black Man was to choke him, doing that non-leathally should be incredibly easy for a combat-trained person.

I encourage the GOP to continue to organize their messaging around dumb poo poo that nobody who doesn't mainline RWM would even understand!

Not always true re chokeholds, if you cut off the carotid artery you can go from alive to dead real loving quick, and that's the way they learn choke holds in the USMC. Guy had it beaten into him at boot camp that "HEY THIS IS A REALLY loving DANGEROUS CHOKEHOLD, BE SUPER CAREFUL WHEN PRACTICING WITH YOUR FELLOW RECRUITS." Not disagreeing with you, what he did was awful and he had to know he was killing that guy based on his training, it's just that it can happen pretty fuckin fast.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
You guys don't understand. It's always acceptable to murder those people. You know who I mean. It's admirable, even. Really it's the only moral thing to do, if you think about it. Decent people should never have to feel uncomfortable. Summary vigilante executions are a valuable public service.

It's like a citizen's arrest but with murder. A citizen's execution, if you will. That's just justice, right?

...! fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 17, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I listened to some Hannity on a car trip and he gave me "pastor" vibes (or maybe priest is more accurate) that was different from television. I thought he was good at talking to his audience and sounding empathetic but he was doing the equivalent of holding their hands and walking them into voting for DeSantis while saying "I know Trump was the greatest president we've ever had... but... we can't afford four more years of radical Democrats in the White House..."

Agree. There's a ton of cross over with the tactics that churches use and the things RWM does and I've posted about it at length before.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Not always true re chokeholds, if you cut off the carotid artery you can go from alive to dead real loving quick, and that's the way they learn choke holds in the USMC. Guy had it beaten into him at boot camp that "HEY THIS IS A REALLY loving DANGEROUS CHOKEHOLD, BE SUPER CAREFUL WHEN PRACTICING WITH YOUR FELLOW RECRUITS." Not disagreeing with you, what he did was awful and he had to know he was killing that guy based on his training, it's just that it can happen pretty fuckin fast.

In this case we don't even have to suppose, other passengers warned him he was killing the guy
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65578905

quote:

After two minutes, a passerby who had entered the train warns Mr Penny and the other men that Mr Neely might be dying.

One of the men replies that Mr Penny has stopped "squeezing" Mr Neely's neck.

The passerby says that Mr Neely had defecated on himself, and that this could be a sign he is dying.

He warns Mr Penny had that if he does not let Mr Neely go, he could face a murder charge.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

In this case we don't even have to suppose, other passengers warned him he was killing the guy
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65578905

Yeah I read that too. Seriously hosed up and I think they could really make a case for murder here.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Prism posted:

While talking about a rail line, he said "We’re talking about building — and I had my team putting together with other countries as well — to build a railroad from the Pacific Ocean — from the Atlantic Ocean all the way to the Indian Ocean."

People who want to attack him immediately went all in on calling it the amazing underwater railway by ignoring the immediate correction. The railway is actually supposed to go across sub-Saharan Africa and does indeed go from the Atlantic Ocean to the Indian Ocean.

That does sound like a potentially good and useful piece of infrastructure, and I'm always in favor of trains, but I do still kind of wish I lived in the Dark Brandon universe where the US government was leading a multinational consortium to build an intercontinental undersea railway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Have Joe Biden make Sealab and install himself as Captain Murphy

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Have Joe Biden make Sealab and install himself as Captain Murphy

AI Biden voice: "there go my nipples again"

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
do not make me think about biden's nipples again

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Do you want the moustache on or off, America?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Republicans: Off, please!
Brandon: Too bad!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1669834209526005761

Its still a wonder he got fired.
Instead of praised.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

OgNar posted:

Instead of praised.

Fox had 787.5 million reasons to fire him. The Dominion settlement not only has the suits at Fox News spooked that they'll suffer even more similar losses in the future if they don't clamp down on such shenanigans, but it's also shown them how vulnerable the Fox News brand has become. They were just beaten in the ratings for the first time in like 120 weeks, thanks to a surging MSNBC on the left and the battering Fox News is taking from the likes of OAN and NewsNation on the right.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There is also the pending lawsuit against Fox from former producer Abby Grossberg, who is alleging all kinds of awful treatment at the hands of Fox higher-ups (including McCaskill) and had enough receipts that she's on the verge of landing a big settlement.

It's possible Fox was in the process of firing McCaskill (for his involvement in the Carlson and Grossberg messes) and the "Wannabe Dictator" thing was his parting shot on his way out the door.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mellow Seas posted:

I live in San Francisco, that's just street theater. Perfectly normal.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

FMguru posted:

There is also the pending lawsuit against Fox from former producer Abby Grossberg, who is alleging all kinds of awful treatment at the hands of Fox higher-ups (including McCaskill) and had enough receipts that she's on the verge of landing a big settlement.

It's possible Fox was in the process of firing McCaskill (for his involvement in the Carlson and Grossberg messes) and the "Wannabe Dictator" thing was his parting shot on his way out the door.

This is completely believable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OgNar posted:

Instead of praised.

Why is he carrying a scythe or whatever that thing is?

EDIT

Also, rather oddly, very few outcries from RWM about NBA player Ja Morant's suspension for openly carrying and brandishing firearms. Kinda weird since there are so many members of congress and poo poo that do it all the time for publicity photos. I honestly thought there's be some 2nd ammendment outrage over it but if there is I haven't heard it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 17, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought it was a cane at first, but looking at it more closely it looks like it might be a picture frame. Dunno why it's at the angle it's at though, might have slipped out from underneath his arm or something

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

I hope she doesn't just take a settlement and disappear like Gretchen (or maybe she had to because of arbitration or something?). We need those receipts and the repeated embarrassing/expensive stories like we got from the Dominion suit.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

EDIT

Also, rather oddly, very few outcries from RWM about NBA player Ja Morant's suspension for openly carrying and brandishing firearms. Kinda weird since there are so many members of congress and poo poo that do it all the time for publicity photos. I honestly thought there's be some 2nd ammendment outrage over it but if there is I haven't heard it.
Remember a few years back when a black guy got shot point-blank in his car for trying to get his ID (as instructed) right after telling the cop he legally has a gun in the car? The NRA certainly doesn't, complete silence from them when it happened. Gotta be white for them to care.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Islamic Shock posted:

Gotta be white for them to care.

That's right. Gotta remind myself that Morant is not a real patriot but, rather, an overpaid entitled NBA thug.

Seriously wonder if there'd be any noise if it had been...I dunno...Brett Farve, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Burrow or Tom Brady. Some baseball player or something. I'm not sure which white NFL QB's are way into guns but if one of them posted a video of them open carrying and talking about how they carry this weapon everywhere they go because it's their constitutional right USA USA USA and the league suspended him, I have a feeling we'd be hearing some different things.

Disclosure: I think that Morant is behaving like an idiot and fully support the NBA suspension.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So now chuds hate Fox News lol?
https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1669457286677291008?t=ZlroZpK46nvHXlI2rRe_ww&s=19

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ah yes, sterilization of people is very "woke" :psyduck:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Angry_Ed posted:

Ah yes, sterilization of people is very "woke" :psyduck:

By sterilizing hormones, they mean the ones for helping people transition.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It wouldn’t surprise me if Fox acknowledged pride by giving out anti-gay propaganda that talks about things like glory holes and forcing children to transition.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

By sterilizing hormones, they mean the ones for helping people transition.

I sort of had a feeling but at the same time the part about it being homeless youth made me think of America's horrible past with eugenics and sterilizing "undesirables"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Angry_Ed posted:

I sort of had a feeling but at the same time the part about it being homeless youth made me think of America's horrible past with eugenics and sterilizing "undesirables"

No they're on board with that