Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
^^^ Get a decent scale.
As far as recipes, the PizzApp is fun to play with, I tend to stick to a 65% hydration lean dough, and I usually let it go for 24-48 hours before use. I use mostly King Arthur special patent bread flour, but the same ratio works with any other flour I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ihop posted:

I use the NYT pita recipe, which is essentially pizza dough. Roll them out, put them on a floured peel and straight onto the stone. They cook the same as a pizza, except in a 3rd the time and sometimes I have to flip them.

I tried the NYT pita recipe
1) I absolutely hate the way they give measurements in it
2) that doesn't excuse how badly I hosed up every step
3) still turned out ok though

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The Guardian one is good.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/jul/13/how-to-cook-the-perfect-pitta-bread

Pizza dough for me atm is 150g spelt, 350g bread flour, 10g salt and sugar and olive oil, 5-7g yeast. I've been doing around 70% hydration but I think it's a little much, and the dough gets too thin. I can get 4 pizzas out of that though.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Nettle Soup posted:

Pizza dough for me atm is 150g spelt, 350g bread flour, 10g salt and sugar and olive oil, 5-7g yeast. I've been doing around 70% hydration but I think it's a little much, and the dough gets too thin. I can get 4 pizzas out of that though.

Never thought about adding spelt to pizza dough, but I like it in my sourdough. How pronounced is the flavor in this recipe?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

distortion park posted:

I tried the NYT pita recipe
1) I absolutely hate the way they give measurements in it
2) that doesn't excuse how badly I hosed up every step
3) still turned out ok though

Yeah the recipe is written pretty terribly, I should probably find a different one. I don't know if it's that recipe or pitas in general but I also find them pretty forgiving. Under/over proofed/hydrated doesn't seem to matter much. The flavor does improve with slower proofing though, as to be expected.

For useful tools, I immediately bought a turning peel and an extra normal peel. The turning peel is way easier to use for maneuvering stuff around inside the oven, and the extra peel is useful for preparing multiple pizzas. Both of mine are the cheapest pieces of poo poo off amazon but they do the job. I've also heard that an infrared thermometer is useful for checking the stone temperature and getting a perfect crust but I'm not particular enough about my results to care yet.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Random Hero posted:

Never thought about adding spelt to pizza dough, but I like it in my sourdough. How pronounced is the flavor in this recipe?

I'm not sure because I've never made it without it, but it is noticable, and I think better for it. I think more would be too much though, and I do use wholemeal.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I made a square of pizza then cut a smaller square out of it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That crumb and the cheese crust is lovely. A+

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I burnt my first pizza and cheese bread I made. Just not turning them fast enough. Bought a pizza turner peel, I was trying to use the big peel and a grill spatula. Otherwise it worked well and I am looking forward to many more pies in the future.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Anyone have a pizza cutter they love? I have had a generic OXO one for a long time but it finally broke and I want to get a good one.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
After using garbage wheels forever I got a Dexter Russell / DR Cutlery 4" that is amazing. The model number is P177A!

Dexter-Russell 4" Pizza Cutter, P177A-4PCP, SANI-SAFE Series White

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ishamael posted:

Anyone have a pizza cutter they love? I have had a generic OXO one for a long time but it finally broke and I want to get a good one.

Lol how did it break? My OXO just broke two days ago and it did so by completely snapping off the wheel when I went to press down on a crust edge.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ishamael posted:

I really need to get a proper rocking knife, I started using this salad chopper with 2 blades (you have to hold it at a weird angle to not gently caress your pizza up), and it works great but yeah it's awkward.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
If you are wanting a short blade to rock to cut pizza, consider getting a cheap #1 Chinese cleaver. It’s the right size, you can use it for rocking with two hands, but it’ll make short work cutting and it’ll be useful for other things too. Also easy to sharpen. Stainless steel would do great and they’re cheap enough to be in the same cost category.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

My OXO cutter fell apart a year or two ago, I think I'm using some generic walmart thing now. No complaints.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I just use kitchen scissors.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Chef's knife :effort:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Amazon says I bought this in 2010 and I still like it a lot

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E2GT5

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Just go to a restaurant supply store and buy one for $12. It will work great and last forever.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

yeah I'm about to get one of those sub 20 dollar rocker knives.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I just made dough by hand for the first time. Hooray!

I hosed up and added way too much wate. Instead of 400-something grams for a 71.3% hydration, I misread the column and added 713 grams instead. I didn't realize until I mixed everything together and it was goop.

I adjusted and mixed in an equivalent amount of flour, salt and oil to scale the recipe. However, I forgot to add yeast in the addition, and when I mixed it all together, it didn't seem especially homogenous. I kneaded it around for another 5-6 minutes and the consistency looked right (sticking to the bottom but not the sides), but now I'm worried things aren't mixed enough, and there might not be enough yeast all throughout.

Should I worry about this? I dunno. I can always throw out the batch and try again

bengy81
May 8, 2010

HolHorsejob posted:

I just made dough by hand for the first time. Hooray!

I hosed up and added way too much wate. Instead of 400-something grams for a 71.3% hydration, I misread the column and added 713 grams instead. I didn't realize until I mixed everything together and it was goop.

I adjusted and mixed in an equivalent amount of flour, salt and oil to scale the recipe. However, I forgot to add yeast in the addition, and when I mixed it all together, it didn't seem especially homogenous. I kneaded it around for another 5-6 minutes and the consistency looked right (sticking to the bottom but not the sides), but now I'm worried things aren't mixed enough, and there might not be enough yeast all throughout.

Should I worry about this? I dunno. I can always throw out the batch and try again

You can always make a slurry of yeast and a small amount of water (like a couple tsp.) And mix it in. Or you can just let it ferment longer. It doesn't take much yeast to make dough. As an example, I made 1.5kg of dough (2 batches) yesterday and I think I used 2g of yeast total, and that was only because my scale won't measure less than a gram or I would have done like 1.2g instead. I wanted the dough for today, but if I were going to ferment it for 48 hours or longer I could have split a gram between the two batches.

Edit: if I wanted the dough to be ready the same day, I would want to use like 14g of yeast or something absurd like that, but that's only if I'm desperate, pizza dough is much better if it has time to ferment properly.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 18, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

bengy81 posted:

You can always make a slurry of yeast and a small amount of water (like a couple tsp.) And mix it in. Or you can just let it ferment longer. It doesn't take much yeast to make dough. As an example, I made 1.5kg of dough (2 batches) yesterday and I think I used 2g of yeast total, and that was only because my scale won't measure less than a gram or I would have done like 1.2g instead. I wanted the dough for today, but if I were going to ferment it for 48 hours or longer I could have split a gram between the two batches.

Gonna take the second option. This dough is going to ferment for about 48 hours, hopefully it's enough. My pizza is usually really solid, but this is a different flour, slightly different recipe, and usually it ferments for 1-2 weeks.

I added like a teaspoon of yeast into ~550g flour for the initial mix, hope it got mixed in properly. When I added the extra flour and worked it into the goop, it was immediately very chunky, but seemed to smooth together a bit as I adjusted the water and went through the knead

bengy81 posted:

pizza dough is much better if it has time to ferment properly.

Seconded. Speaking of which, last week's pizza night~~

bengy81
May 8, 2010

HolHorsejob posted:

Gonna take the second option. This dough is going to ferment for about 48 hours, hopefully it's enough. My pizza is usually really solid, but this is a different flour, slightly different recipe, and usually it ferments for 1-2 weeks.

I added like a teaspoon of yeast into ~550g flour for the initial mix, hope it got mixed in properly. When I added the extra flour and worked it into the goop, it was immediately very chunky, but seemed to smooth together a bit as I adjusted the water and went through the knead

Seconded. Speaking of which, last week's pizza night~~

That's some good looking pie!

1tsp in 550g of flour is plenty for 48hrs, you should be fine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Anybody shopping for those rocker knives aka Bat'leths aka Klingon Weapons should check the edge on them. We bought a few from Williams Sonoma some time back--the might have even been Oxo. They didn't have any edge at all.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Anybody shopping for those rocker knives aka Bat'leths aka Klingon Weapons should check the edge on them. We bought a few from Williams Sonoma some time back--the might have even been Oxo. They didn't have any edge at all.

that won't bring me glory at all!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the one I linked isn't knife sharp but it cuts pizza fine. it lives in a drawer and I'm glad I don't have to treat it like a deadly weapon

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

LifeSunDeath posted:

that won't bring me glory at all!

Today is a good day for pie.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Castelvetrano olives, red onion, mozzarella and feta with a same day dough.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Clark Nova posted:

Amazon says I bought this in 2010 and I still like it a lot

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E2GT5

I bought one almost the same as this from Meijer. It came with a plastic guard thing to put on it when not in use. Seems to both protect the blade and probably anyone's hands from the blade when stored.

I think it was around the same price, not sure the brand though.

I have a 20+ year old wheel cutter too from when I worked at a Mozzarella factory. It's large and works good still, i just like new toys...

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Lol how did it break? My OXO just broke two days ago and it did so by completely snapping off the wheel when I went to press down on a crust edge.

Haha sounds similar to mine, besides becoming dull as dirt it just broke at the wheel connection point eventually.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! I will check out some options and let you know what I get.

Human Tornada posted:

Also, this looks awesome, that is all.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Human Tornada posted:

oh man that looks good

in my house I would be eating that by myself due to the olives but that is a feature and not a bug

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

Just go to a restaurant supply store and buy one for $12. It will work great and last forever.

Agreed. I have one I bought from Acemart so long ago that I can't look up the model or price without figuring out my Hotmail password :effort:, and it's still going strong. It somehow ended up with a couple small chips on the edge but they don't affect its performance. And it looks like the blade is even replaceable...not sure if they sell replacements though.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
This is the one I got. :10bux: if you have a Meijer near by.

https://www.meijer.com/shopping/product/fw-bbq-pizza-rocker-cutter/2413148264.html

bengy81
May 8, 2010
12" Pizza oven havers: how big are your (dough) ballz? I normally end up between 230 - 240g. I can get them thin, but they run right to the edge of the peel, and it makes turning them exciting. I think next cook, I'm gonna try to aim for 215g, not sure if that is gonna make much of a difference though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I would have to do some note digging to verify, but I think that amount takes me 14+ inches.

Edit: You might have to reduce more. Surface area is a mindfuck like that.

Edit edit: No, it looks like my dough balls land at 344 grams, excluding starter. So if that makes me at least 14 inches, then 240 grams would make me at least 11.7 inches. So I guess it lines up. If your working space is literally 12" then yeah, getting within a quarter inch of the edges is a real pain.

Edit edit edit mania: I guess if 240g gives you 12" then 215 grams would give you 11.35". I guess you'd know better than anyone what your working wiggle room is. The chaos option would be to build a 36" dome and then none of this would matter muahahaha!

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 22, 2023

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I use about 270-290g for 14" pizzas but it depends on how thin you make your pizza and how much cornicione you aim for. It probably also has a dependence on hydration since a wetter dough is probably going to be less forgiving about being stretched too thin

bengy81
May 8, 2010

StarkingBarfish posted:

I use about 270-290g for 14" pizzas but it depends on how thin you make your pizza and how much cornicione you aim for. It probably also has a dependence on hydration since a wetter dough is probably going to be less forgiving about being stretched too thin

I've been trying to burn through a ton of bread flour, and I've found I can't consistently get a good crust with it if I go over 65% hydration, especially if I have more than 48 hrs of fermentation. It's a nightmare to handle, but if you can get it in the oven without ruining it, it makes a great pie.

The more I think about it, the more I should probably aim for a 10-11" pizza, so maybe 200g is what I should be going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I have just been gifted a costway wood-pellet pizza oven. Anyone have experience with this one? I can't find any documentation on it, and the manual only shows how to assemble it.