Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You also have to manually mute @here and @everyone

And I could be wrong, but there's still exceptions you have to mute specifically sometimes such as @everyone from the #announcements channel or from mods, etc.

LinkedIn is the king of unwanted notifications though. They're constantly adding new ones, I just turned off six new notification categories. I don't care when some self-absorbed "CEO" of a ten employee company goes live to talk about themselves, I'm just here to look for a job and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LifeLynx posted:

And I could be wrong, but there's still exceptions you have to mute specifically sometimes such as @everyone from the #announcements channel or from mods, etc.

LinkedIn is the king of unwanted notifications though. They're constantly adding new ones, I just turned off six new notification categories. I don't care when some self-absorbed "CEO" of a ten employee company goes live to talk about themselves, I'm just here to look for a job and it sucks.

I only let LinkedIn email me about incoming messages and connection requests, and otherwise I rarely actually open the website. Did NOT install the app on my phone.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I've only ever used discord for finding or communicating with teams in vidya games. Any chance of using it regularly was long ago and abandoned once I realized how many alerts and stuff it would send me, and how none of them were things I actually needed to see. I never bothered to familiarize myself with it, and every now and again a team will ask me to join their discord and then start going "well you coming?" as it inevitably updates (cuz I almost never use it).

Kind of resent having to join a discord in a game that has built in voice comms, but it's better than no communication. Once somebody starts pushing their twitch/social media suite or seems to be live streaming, I bail pretty quick because I'm a cranky old bastard and the newfangled stuff frightens me.

Reddit has answered a few questions for me via Google results, but i hate the format where I have to constantly keep hitting "show replies", pretty sure it punishes you for using it in a browser rather than app. It's even worse with Twitter, and given everything else going on I'm at the point where I won't click Twitter links, and just try to get the gist of it contextually via the conversation.
(I don't know how I did it, but Twitter embeds have been disabled for me as long as I can remember).

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Twitter embeds don't work for me on Firefox for some reason

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

BRJurgis posted:

Kind of resent having to join a discord in a game that has built in voice comms, but it's better than no communication.

I mean, even back in the 2000s we used Teamspeak or Skype instead of integrated voice comms. Voice codecs have always been hit or miss in games so it's nice to have a service on hand that works out the box for most people.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Twitter embeds don't work for me on Firefox for some reason

That's likely Enhanced Tracking Protection blocking embeds on most sites by default. You can turn it off on a site by site basis with the pink and purple shield icon next to the address bar.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Teratrain posted:

I mean, even back in the 2000s we used Teamspeak or Skype instead of integrated voice comms. Voice codecs have always been hit or miss in games so it's nice to have a service on hand that works out the box for most people.

I remember using TeamSpeak and ventrilo (wish I could go back and experience Planetside again). Fewer games had voice comms back then though, and those programs were pretty simple and straightforward. Discord seems to want to be much more, and I guess I kind of resent the assumption that I'm already all plugged into it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Same poo poo as imgur, everyone wants to be social media, and they all think Musk is a genius

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

BRJurgis posted:

I remember using TeamSpeak and ventrilo (wish I could go back and experience Planetside again). Fewer games had voice comms back then though, and those programs were pretty simple and straightforward. Discord seems to want to be much more, and I guess I kind of resent the assumption that I'm already all plugged into it.

There are plenty of critiques about the scope of Discord to be made but I think calling Vent and TS "simple" hugely downplays how much less user friendly they were.

It has some social media-adjacent features but the lack of a central global "feed" of any kind means it doesn't sit in the same niche as social media services with attention-based economies.

Honestly, for the most part, it's just a group chat I use with my friends that has voice chat we can drop in and out of as needed.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Discord is an order of magnitude easier to use than older voice platforms. I’m sorry to tell you this, but you’re now an Old Fuddyduddy

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I, for one, will never miss the days of getting into a raid and then having to wait ten min while everybody tries to figure out which set of ports the leader actually set for vent, and then find the one guy who needs to be set to -2000 volume.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

OK good point I never had to manage a server, and I was a teen and internet nerd poo poo wasn't the thing yet. I probably felt bad rear end navigating computer bullshit when it was some new frontier.

whydirt posted:

Discord is an order of magnitude easier to use than older voice platforms. I’m sorry to tell you this, but you’re now an Old Fuddyduddy

It rings true.

I have to admit to being anti social media at large these days/the way it is, and I should probably consider my nostalgia and old man "back in my day" levels"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Discord also works best when you're just hanging out with your friends in a reasonably small chat room that can switch to voice chat at a moment's notice. Sounds like you were trying to use it as a way to join random people in one-off voice chats, which is not really what it's designed for.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Not to date myself but I remember using Roger Wilco and teamspeak back in the day and I thought it was as easy as typing in a password

Discord is easy though except when it just refuses to connect me (which is fairly often)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have some people in my network that like to use TeamSpeak among themselves, but they all have being old af and general hatred of change in common. Sort of a Winamp diehard thing.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Can confirm, moderating a Discord is still easier than moderating a subreddit. One's not a suitable replacement for the other though.

Seems like the roadmap for a good community involves having

-a forum
-a chat room
-a sufficient userbase, with a decent amount of regulars
-mods/admins who are part of the community, not above it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hypothesis here but any goons who went from no discord to joining lots of goon discords in 2020 prolly kinda jumped into the deep end of endless pings from 20 different overlapping groups

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Name Change posted:

I have some people in my network that like to use TeamSpeak among themselves, but they all have being old af and general hatred of change in common. Sort of a Winamp diehard thing.

this is Winamp slander. it is free, lightweight, does everything it needs to do and in total really whips the llama's rear end

also iTunes could never have something like this https://skins.webamp.org/

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 18, 2023

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I can't figure out how to use discord in a casual way for a community. It feels more like IRC did where you have to be significantly engaged to really enjoy it, but I don't want to be that engaged.

It makes sense given what discord actually is, thought. Like, of course that's what it focuses on.

I'm annoyed that discord is replacing slower form communities and forums more than being annoyed that it exists. Where you would have had a forum (or a linkserv going further back) you now have a weird medium speed chat room. My experience as a general community space is that It's too slow for me to sit down and have a good conversation if I have an hour to kill but too fast to write a thought out thing in. Plus a community will have 15 different rooms because there's not a good way to hold topics apart otherwise, but how are you going to follow that?

I just can't engage.

Fine as a game voice chat thing though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

T.C. posted:

I can't figure out how to use discord in a casual way for a community. It feels more like IRC did where you have to be significantly engaged to really enjoy it, but I don't want to be that engaged.

It makes sense given what discord actually is, thought. Like, of course that's what it focuses on.

I'm annoyed that discord is replacing slower form communities and forums more than being annoyed that it exists. Where you would have had a forum (or a linkserv going further back) you now have a weird medium speed chat room. My experience as a general community space is that It's too slow for me to sit down and have a good conversation if I have an hour to kill but too fast to write a thought out thing in. Plus a community will have 15 different rooms because there's not a good way to hold topics apart otherwise, but how are you going to follow that?

I just can't engage.

Fine as a game voice chat thing though.

None of this is really inherent to Discord itself. It's a product of the communities you're in. If it were a forum instead of a Discord server, people would still be posting at basically the same annoying speed, and there would be fifteen different threads instead of fifteen different channels.

The main differences Discord brings to the table are the fact that the admin creates channels rather than users, the fact that old channel history is difficult to navigate, and the fact that push notifications are a supported option.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Main Paineframe posted:

None of this is really inherent to Discord itself. It's a product of the communities you're in. If it were a forum instead of a Discord server, people would still be posting at basically the same annoying speed, and there would be fifteen different threads instead of fifteen different channels.

To a degree. The media format influences the form of content though. The format pushes towards extremely short form, so it's not like forum threads, it's like being in ten chat rooms moving slowly.

That can work if they're people you know and you understand their context. Not ideal if you don't.

That being said, I'm sure there are communities that have structures that work better than what I've seen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Discord is terrible at a usage model where people quickly drop in, get one basic question answered, and drop out. This doesn’t stop people from trying to get their users to do it, or course. Even though a forum or printed faq is way, way better

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's for talking for your friends. It's built for the size of a WoW guild or whatever. It's not a forum.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

It's for talking for your friends. It's built for the size of a WoW guild or whatever. It's not a forum.

Yeah, that's what we've been saying, too many places are using it to replace forums and not as an additive thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not sure if anyone has been following this dumb bullshit, but a bunch of Blue Checks, Joe Rogan, and some rear end in a top hat who works for The Blaze have been harassing a famous immunologist who works at a children's hospital and created a free Covid vaccine for poor countries because he didn't want to debate loving RFK Jr on Rogan's show. This started on Twitter but then this morning the same rear end in a top hat who harassed Brittney Griner at the airport a week or so ago showed up at the doctor's house to harass him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not sure if anyone has been following this dumb bullshit, but a bunch of Blue Checks, Joe Rogan, and some rear end in a top hat who works for The Blaze have been harassing a famous immunologist who works at a children's hospital and created a free Covid vaccine for poor countries because he didn't want to debate loving RFK Jr on Rogan's show. This started on Twitter but then this morning the same rear end in a top hat who harassed Brittney Griner at the airport a week or so ago showed up at the doctor's house to harass him.

Could you name the doc or the harasser? I want to look into the organizations involved a bit more.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Could you name the doc or the harasser? I want to look into the organizations involved a bit more.
It's Dr. Peter Hotez, who works in Houston

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Harasser is Alex Stein. He's a particularly evil shithead with the Blaze. He's been part of the anti-drag protests in Dallas and the like.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Okay, interesting, thanks. It doesn't appear so much coordinated by any larger group as that Rogan and Stein (not, notably, higher ups at the Blaze; there's no broader coverage push) have realized there's synergy in feeding each other's viewergroups.

I've not covered RFK in detail, but I've got some effortposts on the origins, causes and methods of the antivax movement over in the covid thread that may be of interest.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 19, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Okay, interesting, thanks. It doesn't appear so much coordinated by any larger group as that Rogan and Stein (not, notably, higher ups at the Blaze; there's no broader coverage push) have realized there's synergy in feeding each other's viewergroups.
I saw Elon was replying to some of Rogan's tweets about this thing

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
For a short breakdown.

Hotez makes a comment about Rogan spewing his anti vax disinformation.
Rogan offers him $100k to come on his show and debate RFKjr as some form of validation to turn it around and to use it to further their own ends.
Which he has no intention of doing.
Elon joins in on the childish taunting, because he's a child.
A follower of those 2 then sits outside of Hotezs house so he can confront him and make a video about it for clicks.
It looks like Hotez will be on Mehdi Hasans show tonight to discuss it.

https://twitter.com/axidentaliberal/status/1670279426787901441

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1670594524937084928

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 19, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

God I'm so tired of this 'DEBATE ME!' bullshit. It started with clowns like Ben Shapiro, and now it's just devolved into a bunch of very rich men harassing someone who is a serious scientist because he won't play their dumb games.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Clarste posted:

In practice you have 1-2 Discords you use and 20 you look at once and never visit again

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Name Change posted:

In practice you have 1-2 Discords you use and 20 you look at once and never visit again

This is it.

There's a bunch I join solely to see if they have any emoji worth stealing lol

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Tales of Twitter Dungeon
e: drat Mastodon doesnt embed
Stories of how they bought Gnip, expanded into its basement and 'desk buddied' 2 people per desk.

A thread
https://mastodon.social/@rodhilton/110561579833908574

"People were asked to come into the office, largely so photos could be taken without it looking abandoned. It didn't work, even the grand opening of the space only brought about 15 people in, 2 of whom were required to be there to staff the front desk.
3 days later, Elon Musk was invited to a company-wide all-hands AMA where he was repeatedly asked about remote work and layoffs, to which he was noncommittal about his plans, though he did talk a bit about alien civilizations."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/06/judge-ruled-twitter-must-be-evicted-from-colorado-office-over-unpaid-rent/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 19, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

God I'm so tired of this 'DEBATE ME!' bullshit. It started with clowns like Ben Shapiro, and now it's just devolved into a bunch of very rich men harassing someone who is a serious scientist because he won't play their dumb games.

I'll never get Joe Rogan's appeal. His best work is being a UFC commentator and even that I am sure there are way better people who could do it.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I think you have to be one of those people that buys a monster truck/F-150 because everyone else is doing it or you saw a commercial that made you feel less like a man for not getting one to "get" Joe Rogan.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Name Change posted:

you have 1-2 discords you use, 20 you look at once and never visit again, and a stable of game discords you fire up whenever you have questions

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hank Green had a reasonable take on this

https://twitter.com/hankgreen/status/1670423800842969088?s=20

https://twitter.com/hankgreen/status/1670430204727267329?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻