Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The "we're forced into CT raids because cheaters take off their gear" thing happens but it's not nearly as common as angry goons and redditors make it sound. Even if you managed to come up with a perfect system without side effects to fix this, you'll still be doing LotA very, very often because all it takes is the single guy who's responsible for the first timer bonus you're seeing, or one of the folks in Ironworks gear.

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

a cartoon duck posted:

of course that assumes whatever duty has a min ilvl in the first place. for whatever strange reason, trials that don't sync you to a level divisible by ten don't have min ilvls, so once i got the level 83 trial in roulette with some random red mage still wearing level 70 artifact gear.

This is still such a baffling decision. Last time I saw this there was a RDM in their starter gear in the first Shadowbringer's trial. They did everything up to that point in POTD/HOH, and couldn't survive normal raidwides.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

GloomMouse posted:

I love the rework but in your case just make sure you're in the single ice/fire aoe rather than the double fire and you'll live with a vuln. It's botching the mech and eating double fire that kills (or super botching it and eating ice AND double fire)

This was what happened in the run where we finally cleared due to good rng, yes. The problem was that I kept being clipped by a double fire at least each pull once no matter how fast I reacted, because I literally did not have the time to haul rear end before the snapshot happened on my end.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm not sure how they missed that. Maybe they think it's no big deal but in general the MSQ leveling trials have been fairly challenging at expansion launch, and it doesn't need to be made worse with people whose gear is 10+ character levels old.

That said, they only added the leveling dungeon item level requirements in ShB so we're still early. Spaghetti code etc.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Like Clockwork posted:

This was what happened in the run where we finally cleared due to good rng, yes. The problem was that I kept being clipped by a double fire at least each pull once no matter how fast I reacted, because I literally did not have the time to haul rear end before the snapshot happened on my end.

I meant that you can preposition north or south outside of where the double fire aoes will happen and eat the ice donut for both forms of the mech, since the bad-but-not-lethal donut area will be in the same place regardless whether fire or ice pops first. You'd get a vuln and your crew will have to do it right but you can still survive the stacks with one vuln and it'll be gone before the next fire/ice. No rng, and at least as the healer you can heal thyself and prep for vulns. Bonus points if you yell "Healer adjust!" to yourself

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 16, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

1stGear posted:

Yeah, the only time tanking can be tricky is in the earlier dungeons before the "two packs then wall" design philosophy became entrenched. Even then, as long as you're pulling at least two packs at a time, most people won't cause problems.

This video is pretty shitpost-y, but its also a pretty succinct guide to everything that matters about tanking.

Lucy Pyre is a living shitpost, and she's absolutely wrong about tanking and main character syndrome (don't let anyone take it away from you, you beautiful blue brick), but she's right about Arm's Length. Any tank who rotates through all their mitigation, including the secret Arm's Length button, will have the healer fawning over them. Or the healer will be bored out of their skull because they don't have to do anything other than mash glare and kinda feel redundant. I guess.

I've gotten more "wow I usually have problems healing gunbreakers" comments than I've gotten commendations, I'm pretty sure. The secret is pressing Heart of Corundum on cooldown and remembering Arm's Length exists.

Tekopo posted:

DPS taking non-lethal damage is extra mitigation!

Yes. Someday I'll make a Tanking Onion shitpost, but one layer of the onion is simply 'don't lose a party member' and the next layer after that is 'don't lose all the party members.' You've only failed if you wipe. And if the wipe is funny enough, it's not a failure. And even then, oh no you might need to spend an extra minute in here. The horror.

The only way you can be kinda good at something starts with sucking a little at it. So get out there, put a brick on the accelerator, and lead your party into wipes. You'll get better each time, and the worst thing that'll happen is some dude you'll never see again starts malding in party chat. I was going to say that the worst thing that can happen is everyone leaves silently and you don't get any commends, but no. The malding dude isn't doing DPS while he's essaying about you, and I guarantee the rest of the party will be so fixated on him being the load that they won't give whatever tiny mistake you made another thought.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Also, reminder that if you fall flat on your rear end that:

- Nobody is going to care because the healer will just rez you back up and wipes only lose you like a minute tops
- The FF14 community is well behaved enough to not give you poo poo about it (most of the time)
- And if people do care it doesn't matter because you will never see them again after you complete the duty

Even the best savage tanks started out as a sprout that got steamrolled in Aurum Vale once upon a time.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
There are also at least a few melee DPS who enjoy seeing if they can survive a pull after a tank goes down (by using sprint and mits smartly, and killing things as fast as they can). I'm one of them! A botched pull is just an opportunity for a different kind of fun.

Similarly, if the main tank goes down in a trial or raid or whatever: a) if I'm DPS, I'll have a little chuckle at worst and barely give a poo poo otherwise, b) if I'm healer, it was probably my fault, c) if I'm off-tank, it's My Time To Shine and I get to feel self-satisfied. :smugbert:

Dying is far from the worst thing you can do as a tank. That's pointing bosses towards teammates, because it gets people cleaved and keeps melee DPS from hitting positionals. Everything else--even bad enemy positioning that cuts into damage uptime--is barely a blip on the radar. Go forth and tank!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
And honestly?

If you're really nervous? Start tanking in Duty Support first.

It is genuinely a fantastic practice tool. They're slow and don't AoE, but they are COMPETENT and RELIABLE, and they won't judge you for going as slowly as you are comfortable with. When you get more comfortable, then you can try going faster, or move on to playing with real people.

And as a bonus, if you're doing your Duty Support practice tanking in a high enough level dungeon, you can have named NPCs along for the ride! :)

Alphinaud will not judge you while learning to tank. He believes in you, and will support you while you practice.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

BlazetheInferno posted:

And honestly?

If you're really nervous? Start tanking in Duty Support first.

It is genuinely a fantastic practice tool. They're slow and don't AoE, but they are COMPETENT and RELIABLE, and they won't judge you for going as slowly as you are comfortable with. When you get more comfortable, then you can try going faster, or move on to playing with real people.

And as a bonus, if you're doing your Duty Support practice tanking in a high enough level dungeon, you can have named NPCs along for the ride! :)

Alphinaud will not judge you while learning to tank. He believes in you, and will support you while you practice.
The duty support healers are also competent enough to carry you through double pulls reasonably well if you rotate your mitigations properly, so you can use that to get comfortable with the concept.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Best way to start tanking is normal mode raids, imo. That’s how I started after accidentally queuing up for one after using WAR to solo old content, and that taught me how easy it is.

All you do for normal raids is hit some mitigation buttons when you get a tankbuster marker and hold the boss still for melee positionals. Other than that it’s just like dps. Normals have no tank swaps and no real role specific mechanics other than clearly marked tankbusters.

If you’re L90 I think P7N is the easiest to start with because the boss doesn’t move. All you need to do is your rotation and avoid hitting people with the tankbuster. Easy and painless, and there’s a mount achievement for tanking enough of them.

Won’t get you better at trash pulls, but as far as beating tanxiety goes, it’s imo the easiest way to start tanking for actual players.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I find tanking raids to be more relaxing than DPSing them, largely because your mits and your role HP/defense makes it way more survivable to beef mechanics/get vuln stacks. You can make a lot of mistakes as a tank and not die! The important thing is just avoiding making mistakes that make other people die, so be careful on stuff like tankbusters with line/AoE attacks.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BlazetheInferno posted:

Alphinaud will judge the hell out of you, the little poo poo

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Rarity posted:

Alphinaud will judge the hell out of you, the little poo poo

ARR Alphinaud is the one who will judge you, and he never deigns to join you in dungeons. Post-ARR Alphinaud will not judge because he has taken a Humble Pie in the face.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

The duty support healers are also competent enough to carry you through double pulls reasonably well if you rotate your mitigations properly, so you can use that to get comfortable with the concept.

I'd argue they're just bad enough when doing wall pulls that they force you into the proper mindset for rationing your cooldowns properly while making sure you use all of them. It's an amazing practice tool even after you're comfortable as a tank to break yourself of bad habits, because the combination of a middling healer with a group that never heard of AOEs means you'll be taking damage far longer than you will in a human party, forcing you to eek out all that extra EHP to ensure you can stay up long enough for the NPCs to reduce the pack size to a sustainable number.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My first community event! They say this procession has no end, and no beginning, it ends where it begins and begins where it ends...

I was finishing the White Mage questline for ARR and saw this massive wave of players on shiny mounts passing me by and I asked in local chat, "What's going on!?" and then they were like "Join us!" and I'm like "Sure!"

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Warmachine posted:

I'd argue they're just bad enough when doing wall pulls that they force you into the proper mindset for rationing your cooldowns properly while making sure you use all of them. It's an amazing practice tool even after you're comfortable as a tank to break yourself of bad habits, because the combination of a middling healer with a group that never heard of AOEs means you'll be taking damage far longer than you will in a human party, forcing you to eek out all that extra EHP to ensure you can stay up long enough for the NPCs to reduce the pack size to a sustainable number.

Yeah, Duty Support NPCs are about as bad as you can get with human players who aren't actively griefing—which means they're great practice for fundamentals once you're comfortable enough to try to wallpull, because they will absolutely force you to learn if you want to avoid the walk of shame from the beginning of the dungeon. If you can survive with duty support, you can survive with actual humans in most cases.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so Gunbreaker question-

Is there ever actually a good time to use Superbollide?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Maxwell Lord posted:

every time it comes off cooldown

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

10 seconds of invincibility for all of your health(that the healer can bring back anyway)? When isn't a good time to use it?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

But for real it's just like the other tank's invincibility button. In casual content you'll most likely use it during a mob pull. I think stuff like Savage raids has parts that expect you to use it to not die.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tank invulns are used to cheese savage tankbusters a lot of the time.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly, any time you are low on health and there's still a lot of stuff hitting you (or you have multiple vuln stacks and a particularly nasty tankbuster is about to smack you). Especially if the healer is not a WHM, or if you know their Benediction is on cooldown.
And even if it isn't and they Benediction you half a second before you Superbolide, yeah it's a wasted big heal but also you still have your 10 seconds of damage immunity. If you are worried about it, just type in chat that you are planning on using it before turbo-pulling.

Edit: just make sure when you do choose to pop it, you repeatedly smash the skill button until it actually activates, since sometimes Instant activation skills decide not to

radintorov fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 17, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just make sure to macro it with "/p A test of your reflexes!"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7MZI47nAfg

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

man I am not a fan of the ShB master role quest being locked behind a bunch of old ARR and HW Extremes. No one in my FC wants to run that old content and it seems like the only people who are going to join a PF ad for those trials (after several hours of wait times sometimes) are the ones who need to be taught the fundamentals of their job in addition to the mechanics of the fight. I'm hitting a brick wall here

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Unsync it. You don’t have to do them at level, you can crush all of them solo at L80+ and it’ll count.

Edit: Do Sephirot as your tank class, he’s still a motherfucker to solo as dps.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

God Hole posted:

man I am not a fan of the ShB master role quest being locked behind a bunch of old ARR and HW Extremes. No one in my FC wants to run that old content and it seems like the only people who are going to join a PF ad for those trials (after several hours of wait times sometimes) are the ones who need to be taught the fundamentals of their job in addition to the mechanics of the fight. I'm hitting a brick wall here

Unsync them. Even an 80 job in full Cryptlurker gear should be able to kill them quickly.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Oh crap that counts? I had no idea lol

you just made my day

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Don't try to solo Bismarck ex unless you can one-shot one of the big adds

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

Don't try to solo Bismarck ex unless you can one-shot one of the big adds

You actually got some time before the other one aggros just keep to one side of the island and never stop pressing buttons.

But yeah the second the other goes aggro and the one you're fighting is still alive it's pretty much over because no amount of DPS can tear through the damage reduction when they're together.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Bismarck is a little fiddly because sometimes he drops puddles right on you as you're trying to hit the harpoons, and with a very tight window for sprinting between both, it's easy to miss it. Just bring a friend and two-man it if you have trouble, makes things 10x easier.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

oh I just blasted through all of them in 30 minutes, didn't encounter any issues with Bismarck as a lvl90 fun breaker but I did notice the two serpent adds seemed invulnerable for a bit before they eventually went down. Probably helped that I got one to like 1% before they came together

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

God Hole posted:

oh I just blasted through all of them in 30 minutes, didn't encounter any issues with Bismarck as a lvl90 fun breaker but I did notice the two serpent adds seemed invulnerable for a bit before they eventually went down. Probably helped that I got one to like 1% before they came together

Yeah, if the snakes on Bismarck Extreme get close together they take much reduced damage so you want to murder one of them before they can move if you're alone. It's not too bad if you know it is coming, although Bismarck is still a very annoying Extreme for other reasons.

An unsynced L90 can solo all the ARR and HW Extremes no problem, plus all the ARR raids. The HW Savage raids are technically soloable as well now, but some require a very bursty job or are otherwise finicky.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I recently did all (minus 1, 5, and 9) of the Alex Savage raids solo (for glam), and the only one that gave me any trouble was A4S, but once you know you need to save burst for the last leg, it's fine. You have about 2 GCDs to take it from full to zero, but that's very doable at level 90. Everything else went down before any dangerous mechanics happened. Only caveat is, this was as SAM in 640+ gear; I don't know how tight the dps checks are for avoiding the bad stuff.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The A4S burst requirement is pretty tight still. I know SAM, DRG, NIN, SMN and DNC have done it on the DPS side, and DRK on the tank side. That was with at best last tier's gear so I expect a few other jobs are at least close to it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, if the snakes on Bismarck Extreme get close together they take much reduced damage

They tether in the "hard" normal Bismarck too which sucks if one of the tanks doesn't know / refuses to play their role right

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
ShB patch trials: I was not expecting a giant robot fight. Moreover, I was not expecting it to be good. I've played entire games in that subgenre that had worse mechanics than that solo duty.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Dareon posted:

ShB patch trials: I was not expecting a giant robot fight. Moreover, I was not expecting it to be good. I've played entire games in that subgenre that had worse mechanics than that solo duty.

I hope you enjoyed it, because THAT'S THE ONLY TIME YOU EVER GET TO PILOT IT!

Yeah! They give you a giant fuckin' robot with a complete moveset and you only ever get to use it the one time! It's infuriating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

tanking is easy as poo poo and if you are not going fast you are doing it wrong. 3 dps 1 tank parties are pretty common tbh