Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Russia making GBS threads its pants at the thought of our 3 ships, 4 land rovers, and 10 wheelbarrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Sorry the only new housing we can afford is for American nukes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Recognize the Kurdistan Workers Party as the only legitimate government of Turkey and you can avoid NATO membership forever.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1669290511822200833

He made the same sly accusations at Mick Barry about hating free speech and democracy. Without naming more than one speaker who isn't fully pro-NATO.

It's obvious why they want to end neutrality. Our nations excess income will be directed to buying more weapons from NATO block defense companies. Funneling our money into the US. And just so some at the top will get cushy paid gigs with same defense companies in the future.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

gonadic io posted:

Sorry the only new housing we can afford is for American nukes

The only way you get a granny flat application through Planning is by having it open up to reveal a missile silo.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
100 years with no wars was too much lads, come on

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

100 years with no wars was too much lads, come on

Are we finally attacking the English?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PowerBeard posted:

Getting rid of neutrality would decrease our soldier surplus...

On the other hand, we will get mocked for our poo poo army and military gear...

Man, this decision is so hard!
This is a less than accurate assessment of the Irish army. We're internationally well regarded and part of that is because our neutrality means that when our units are deployed on peacekeeping operations the locals trust that there's no secret agenda at play to favour one side over the other. This goes all the way back to Niemba in 1960. I wouldn't be opposed to allocating budget for modernisation of kit (subject to my usual "money is imaginary" position) and I approve of paying soldiers a living wage so that we're better at UN peacekeeping, (and also because everyone deserves a living wage). Us joining NATO means that we'd be worse at peacekeeping in places where there's a NATO or Major non-NATO ally power involved, like, say, the UNIFIL mission that we are permanently assigned to. Being super loving cynical about it, Ukraine proves that even outside of NATO if a power that NATO considers to be an enemy were to invade Ireland then we'd get plenty of enemy-of-my-enemy help from NATO powers anyway, since it's in their best interests to quagmire poo poo down. Plus realistically the most likely power to get notions and invade Cork is the Brits anyway, and invoking Article 5 against a member state just means that NATO implodes instantly and we're on or own anyway.

But I guess the idea that we'd be at all well served by joining NATO is just our good rep hitting the civil service mandatory retirement age or something :shrug:

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I'm not living in Ireland right now but I thought neutrality was pretty much untouchable from a public opinion standpoint, isn't a potential breach of neutrality what killed the Lisbon Treaty the first time? Or has the consent-manufacturing machine gone into overdrive since the invasion of Ukraine?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
It was and it is.

It started with lobbying by the arms industry in Brussels and suddenly Michael and the rest are saying we need to pull our weight by joining NATO and diverting a set % of our GDP to defense spending.
Of course they wouldn't want it to go to referendum because it would fail so suddenly they get constitutional advice that it wouldn't actually need a referendum to change it. They could put it to a debate of experts and make a decision from that. Which is where these tweets came from as the opposition is correctly accusing these debates of being stacked with pro-NATO voices.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The answers to your question are "yes" and "yes".

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

This is a less than accurate assessment of the Irish army. We're internationally well regarded and part of that is because our neutrality means that when our units are deployed on peacekeeping operations the locals trust that there's no secret agenda at play to favour one side over the other. This goes all the way back to Niemba in 1960. I wouldn't be opposed to allocating budget for modernisation of kit (subject to my usual "money is imaginary" position) and I approve of paying soldiers a living wage so that we're better at UN peacekeeping, (and also because everyone deserves a living wage). Us joining NATO means that we'd be worse at peacekeeping in places where there's a NATO or Major non-NATO ally power involved, like, say, the UNIFIL mission that we are permanently assigned to. Being super loving cynical about it, Ukraine proves that even outside of NATO if a power that NATO considers to be an enemy were to invade Ireland then we'd get plenty of enemy-of-my-enemy help from NATO powers anyway, since it's in their best interests to quagmire poo poo down. Plus realistically the most likely power to get notions and invade Cork is the Brits anyway, and invoking Article 5 against a member state just means that NATO implodes instantly and we're on or own anyway.

But I guess the idea that we'd be at all well served by joining NATO is just our good rep hitting the civil service mandatory retirement age or something :shrug:

The issue is with neutrality is we can only do so much for our soldiers before we hit the effort / cost value. Wanna pay them more, okay but now we need them to go on riskier missions to recoup that money. Wanna get better gear, now you've fallen into the arms race trap that sees budgets explode for weapons and gear that barely function as advertised.
I've known a few cadets that wanted to get into the REAL action and vets who will talk you out of ever wanting to do any form of peacekeeping. Coming out of neutrality in this day and age is foolish and dangerous.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/nwl88444048/status/1669637779142180865

Good thing Martin had this published now and not yesterday because it completely blows his argument out of the water. It's a who's who of pro NATO. The names I recognize I've seen arguing on Twitter about the war proving Ireland has to join NATO. The names I don't recognize all seem to work in or adjacent to the security industry, an industry which would profit from our joining NATO.

One of the speakers comes from something called the Azure Forum for Contemporary Security Strategy, a 2 person outfit created only a few years ago who's most recent filed accounts showed it only had €345 cash on hand. Wonder how they got an invitation. It's two members consist of a British OBE who advised the UK government on homeland security and a woman who's linkedin says she has worked with the UN, NATO, military colleges and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Plus realistically the most likely power to get notions and invade Cork is the Brits anyway, and invoking Article 5 against a member state just means that NATO implodes instantly and we're on or own anyway.

I feel like there is a fairly decent chance that you could get more of nato to side with you than with the uk just because the uk spends all its time pissing off everyone else on the planet.

Especially if biden was president, he'd ride into london on top of an abrams and rename it londonderry.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 16, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lol the UK doesn't even want the bit of Ireland it still has :confused:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
well... sort of has

the bit that largely thanks to the DUP pushing Brexit it now has to share custody of with the EU :hehe:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PowerBeard posted:

The issue is with neutrality is we can only do so much for our soldiers before we hit the effort / cost value. Wanna pay them more, okay but now we need them to go on riskier missions to recoup that money.
Imma stop you at this point.

We do not need to recoup any money via the military. They are not a profit-driven organisation and under no circumstances should they be. The only way they could become one is by looting the places they are supposed to protect. Plus the other thing about pay that the government loves to ignore is that they take minimum 30% of that straight back from employees. Government employees in particular have their employer, the government, withhold tax to give to the government on the employee's behalf. The remaining 70% of that goes to buy poo poo, which is taxed at upto 21% straight away, so the government already has ~45% of that cash back in their pockets. Anyone who was involved in the buying process pays their 30%+ back to the government, so now the government's got all but 38% of the wages back, and so on and so forth until the turtle escapes the arrow.

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like there is a fairly decent chance that you could get more of nato to side with you than with the uk just because the uk spends all its time pissing off everyone else on the planet.

Especially if biden was president, he'd ride into london on top of an abrams and rename it londonderry.
Please, us local diaspora prefer the name "Derrylondon".

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
yeah what do you think happens, you complete a mission and then each bad guy has 50k in their pockets that you get to pick up and return to the government

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

lol the UK doesn't even want the bit of Ireland it still has :confused:

Has anyone actually planned how a transition over to RoI laws would work without it being a major clusterfuck?
For example 1.8 million suddenly with no health insurance, used to get everything free on healthcare.
Anyone suggested how thats going to get sorted?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Has anyone actually planned how a transition over to RoI laws would work without it being a major clusterfuck?
For example 1.8 million suddenly with no health insurance, used to get everything free on healthcare.
Anyone suggested how thats going to get sorted?

See if the EU can foot the bill for all living residents over 18 in NI with everyone born after reunification automatically being on the Ireland model.

All the paperwork should keep the NI paper pushers in work for decades. :shrug:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is there precedent for this kind of stuff? I know there's a heap of stuff out there about all the work it took to set up the country and reshuffle after the War of Independence and the Civil War were over, and a good few countries have had to do similar over the last century. But when would the last time something like this would have happened? Crimea? Could you even count that?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's easy, simply start a national Irish health service that covers all residents in the south too.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

gonadic io posted:

It's easy, simply start a national Irish health service that covers all residents in the south too.

I'm currently at the Dalkey book festival today to spend a bit of money and pretend to be bougie for a day. The latest panel mentioned yesterday's one on the housing crisis where literally everyone threw their hands up and said Better Things Aren't Possible (ofc Pat Leahy was on both). I'd imagine the same would be said for an Irish NHS.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
If we had a proper health service then private healthcare wouldn't get as much business. Can't have that Denis OBrien and his type deserve that money.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Tánaiste Leo Varadkar defended the Government’s record on medical costs, said there needed to be “a balance” between regulating medical costs and doctors’ income.

“One person’s medical cost is another person’s income - it might be their pension, it might be how they pay their mortgage.”

Mr Varadkar told the Dáil he was not a doctor but others relied on medical incomes, adding that 86 per cent of doctors have either one or two practices and the number of available practice open slots was falling.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Ciara Ahern the Garda press officer has deleted her twitter.

https://twitter.com/dliodore/status/1670071247001010177

I only caught the start of it, and this. But she retweeted about her office winning the best PR award, received some mild criticism to which she responded very flippantly, but was getting liked and retweeted by lots of far right accounts, some of who she follows. Some people did a quick dive into her past and found she worked on Creightons Renua election campaign. Once that came out she deleted her account.

The AGS being ran by the far-right would explain why they are such a gentle touch on the far-right but crack down hard on the left and workers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

gonadic io posted:

Even easier. Wait for the UK to sell off the NHS to American Medical Companies.

People in NI can't refuse to join a United Ireland on the grounds they'd lose access to the NHS if it's already gone.
(Taps Head meme.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Marenghi posted:

Ciara Ahern the Garda press officer has deleted her twitter.

https://twitter.com/dliodore/status/1670071247001010177

I only caught the start of it, and this. But she retweeted about her office winning the best PR award, received some mild criticism to which she responded very flippantly, but was getting liked and retweeted by lots of far right accounts, some of who she follows. Some people did a quick dive into her past and found she worked on Creightons Renua election campaign. Once that came out she deleted her account.

The AGS being ran by the far-right would explain why they are such a gentle touch on the far-right but crack down hard on the left and workers.

Is that not just a universal truism of the police under capitalism? Their job is to defend property rights and who wants to Abolish private property? The left? Who has the least property to defend? Workers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hiring the PSNI lad, probably didn't help matters either. He sees the fash marching and just feels like it's a nice July at home for him.

Shoehead posted:

Is there precedent for this kind of stuff? I know there's a heap of stuff out there about all the work it took to set up the country and reshuffle after the War of Independence and the Civil War were over, and a good few countries have had to do similar over the last century. But when would the last time something like this would have happened? Crimea? Could you even count that?
German reunification is the most obvious one.

School Nickname posted:

I'm currently at the Dalkey book festival today to spend a bit of money and pretend to be bougie for a day. The latest panel mentioned yesterday's one on the housing crisis where literally everyone threw their hands up and said Better Things Aren't Possible (ofc Pat Leahy was on both). I'd imagine the same would be said for an Irish NHS.
How were you in the same room as Pat Leahy and not kicked out for screaming at him to just shut the gently caress up for once?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Even easier. Wait for the UK to sell off the NHS to American Medical Companies.

People in NI can't refuse to join a United Ireland on the grounds they'd lose access to the NHS if it's already gone.
(Taps Head meme.)

Living here in N.I. it's absolutely the last thing that makes being linked to the UK worthwhile.

And here i am watching it being slowly destroyed by useless twats in Westminster.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It is weird how even being deliberately mismanaged by the most useless and malicious clowns for decades the NHS system still manages to return 3-4x its cost to the community in terms of improved health outcomes, and yet other people insist that such a system would be unaffordable.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Just Another Lurker posted:

Living here in N.I. it's absolutely the last thing that makes being linked to the UK worthwhile.

And here i am watching it being slowly destroyed by useless twats in Westminster.

oh HSC has been destroyed by plenty of local twats over the last 25 years

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

forkboy84 posted:

Is that not just a universal truism of the police under capitalism? Their job is to defend property rights and who wants to Abolish private property? The left? Who has the least property to defend? Workers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1445134/Revealed-the-race-crimes-detective-who-goes-home-to-a-Nazi-shrine.html

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

oh HSC has been destroyed by plenty of local twats over the last 25 years

Not unsurprising but if they both end up privatised then that's just another pillar of UK usefulness gone.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1671793841983172610?s=20

A week after calling the opposition jack booted fascists who want to stifle debate at this one-sided NATO forum. MM has the guards haul off anti-NATO protesters. Glad his little NATO jolly is being disrupted. They know the people oppose it, that's why he chose a biased closed shop debate rather than a citizens assembly.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Who is NATO supposed to be fighting atm?

Unless russia triggers Article 5 nowt's happening.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically the entire military culture of the western world is built around twitching and frothing for getting to kill indiscriminately for a couple hours into the nuclear extinction event, and impatiently waiting to murder brown people in the meantime.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
They were in Iraq, Libya, and Afghanistan. Afghanistan only ended recently but the situation in Ukraine has the US occupied for the moment. Once that's resolved I'm sure they'll find an excuse to invade another third world and keep the war machine running.

US hegemony requires forever wars to maintain power. It also has the benefit of making money for the elite few. The latter is why Michael and the rest want in on the action. If were are locked into paying 4% of GDP to defence companies they'll surely be offered some kickbacks by way of consultancies, directorships or paid speaking arrangements.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 22, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Don't forget the headpats! Our parties are motivated by being told they're very good boys by the big international organisations. That's why Leo tried to save money on the COVID response even though we were told that spending to keep the workforce healthy was the best option by the IMF and the ECB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
With Irelands help, we can turn that Millions Dead into Billions! [Dabs the gently caress out]