Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dancing Peasant posted:

Using the Maps app while driving around LA (and anywhere else really) was useless. For example, I’m driving on I-5 in my car with Carplay and it thinks I am idle at a parking lot. Hell, sometimes it looks like I’m strafing myself on freeway. And it will freeze randomly for a few minutes until I get back to my place when it magically updates itself like nothing happened.

Google Maps is less worse as it will correct itself faster than Apple Maps but it is still a problem overall.

We use CarPlay and maps all the time and I’ve never had that happen. The only time maps freaks out is when we are in the carpool lane and take the interchange on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If both apps are doing it, that would be more of a problem with your gps signal quality than an app problem.

The phone's compass is going to be mostly useless in the car too, the big metal box you're sitting in interferes quite a bit with it. All apps pretty much always get my heading wrong when I'm in car.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I got kind of an AirPods question. Don’t think we have a iOS devices thread that I know of.

I bought AirPods Pro 2’s when they were first announced probably about a year ago or so? I also got AppleCare+.

I feel the noise cancelling and battery life is already suffering. Is apple pretty cool about just diagnosing and swapping stuff like that out pretty easily or is that considered just a side affect of use? I feel they used to be pretty generous with apple care + but wasn’t sure if that’s still the case.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

If both apps are doing it, that would be more of a problem with your gps signal quality than an app problem.

The phone's compass is going to be mostly useless in the car too, the big metal box you're sitting in interferes quite a bit with it. All apps pretty much always get my heading wrong when I'm in car.

We use our phones in the car for nav and the GPS is pretty consistent ?

For LA specially it could just be volume of people.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Disappointing Pie posted:

I got kind of an AirPods question. Don’t think we have a iOS devices thread that I know of.

I bought AirPods Pro 2’s when they were first announced probably about a year ago or so? I also got AppleCare+.

I feel the noise cancelling and battery life is already suffering. Is apple pretty cool about just diagnosing and swapping stuff like that out pretty easily or is that considered just a side affect of use? I feel they used to be pretty generous with apple care + but wasn’t sure if that’s still the case.

Apple AirPods Pro 2 were announced in september 2022, so if yours have issues you are still on the first year of warranty, apple care or not you have coverage. Noise cancelling issues are usually a AirPods Pro 1 item so if it's a mk2 i would fly to the apple store where you picked yours.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reminds me I have a weird AirPods query too. If I put just my left pod in, I get the ‘ding’ noise in my ear and it switches over to them for my audio. If I put just the right one in, no ding and doesn’t auto select it. I have to go to the output selector and manually pick it (so it knows it’s connected, it just kinda ignores it). Can’t see anything in the menus to differentiate behavior like this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EL BROMANCE posted:

Reminds me I have a weird AirPods query too. If I put just my left pod in, I get the ‘ding’ noise in my ear and it switches over to them for my audio. If I put just the right one in, no ding and doesn’t auto select it. I have to go to the output selector and manually pick it (so it knows it’s connected, it just kinda ignores it). Can’t see anything in the menus to differentiate behavior like this.

I would try things in this order until you get it working:

-Update firmware on AirPods/ OS on phone
-Toggle BT off/on on phone
-Hard reset phone
-Forget/re-add Airpods
-Forget AirPods, reset them, re-add them

After that, it's probably time for a visit to Apple Store.

Related to all that, I installed the beta firmware for the AirPods Pro to try out the adaptive noise cancellation. It's cool but also weird.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll go through the list, thanks. Not the worst issue just a slightly perplexing one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Apple Maps in Italy: Not even once.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FlapYoJacks posted:

Apple Maps in Italy: Not even once.

They work fine OP. They just lack public transport and moovit fill that hole nicely.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Does anyone ITT use a HomePod mini? I bought one on the basis that it would probably have the best sound quality for small speakers but It seems like it’s limited in what it will play audio from? I specifically want it to play the audio from FaceTime video calls, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to transfer the audio? I can do it during an Audio call but not during a video call. Is this some weird limitation of the HomePod? I can play audio to it when I’m watching a YouTube video for eg

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

They work fine OP. They just lack public transport and moovit fill that hole nicely.

When I was in Venezia and Marche they were awful for walking directions.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
What iOS 17 feature is everyone most interested in? For me, it’s the new journal / mental health aspect.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

~Coxy posted:

Alright, you got me.
What the hell would be the point of that?
The two main ones for me are:
- working out the total walking time if I have to run errands and visit a bunch of different shops so I can estimate how long I’ll be out for
- planning out a little walking tour of locations I want to see when I’m travelling solo along with headphone navigation when I’m actually out on the walk

For both it’s just kind of a nuisance to work out ten different journeys with the clunky interface, rather than one journey with ten stops.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FlapYoJacks posted:

When I was in Venezia and Marche they were awful for walking directions.

Most nav software will get you lost in Venice, be it Apple, Sygic or Here(I usually switch to mountaineering apps and just drop way points to walk back). Never been in Marche in recent years so I don't have any metrics for that.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

The bed is for three things:
Sleeping
Group physical exercise
Enjoying your iPhone caseless

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also dropping your phone on your face

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

The Dave posted:

Also dropping your phone on your face

True.
*smiles with chipped teeth and blacked eyes*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had a cat curled up against me in bed and dropped the phone on her, made me feel like a loving monster because she ran off and hid under the kitchen table.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

xzzy posted:

I've had a cat curled up against me in bed and dropped the phone on her, made me feel like a loving monster because she ran off and hid under the kitchen table.

Same, same

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

You haven’t gotten your cat her own iPhone ? That makes you a monster for sure.

Also, I think we need a cat picture of this cat posted here. Just for more context.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People asking me to put cat pics on the internet?? Sure!

It’s the tortie that had a phone impact trauma. She has clearly not recovered because she’s constantly upside down.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah cat pictures.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Duckman2008 posted:

Hell yeah cat pictures.

Ah the new Apple iMeow. In gold, good choice. Better get a case for it though so you don’t get scratched.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can’t wait until I can send everybody stickers in iOS 17.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

catte

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

xzzy posted:

It’s the tortie that had a phone impact trauma. She has clearly not recovered because she’s constantly upside down.

After coparenting a tortie for 2 years I’m afraid to say I think they’re just Like That.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Tortie? More like upside-tortie.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Lord Bude posted:

Does anyone ITT use a HomePod mini? I bought one on the basis that it would probably have the best sound quality for small speakers but It seems like it’s limited in what it will play audio from? I specifically want it to play the audio from FaceTime video calls, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to transfer the audio? I can do it during an Audio call but not during a video call. Is this some weird limitation of the HomePod? I can play audio to it when I’m watching a YouTube video for eg

HomePod mini and the whole product line seem…. Not very good or competitive. I’ve never recommended them and the only time they might be competitive is some pretty specific use cases.

For small speaker with sound quality I’ve been very happy with Sonos and almost every part of their lineup except ecosystem integration and Bluetooth, is better than HomePod and the same price.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 18, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Catte Portrait Mode

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inner Light posted:

HomePod mini and the whole product line seem…. Not very good or competitive. I’ve never recommended them and the only time they might be competitive is some pretty specific use cases.

For small speaker with sound quality I’ve been very happy with Sonos and almost every part of their lineup except ecosystem integration and Bluetooth, is better than HomePod and the same price.

They are the cheapest HomeKit bridge unless you purchase an used appletv. Other than that there are little use for them.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Refurbed HomePod Minis (used to be $55 on Ebay, now closer to $70) are a good value. In a pair, they’ll sound better than a single Sonos.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

bobfather posted:

Refurbed HomePod Minis (used to be $55 on Ebay, now closer to $70) are a good value. In a pair, they’ll sound better than a single Sonos.

Yes but then you’re getting to decreasing marginal returns hunting small amounts of savings buying second hand electronic devices, to end up very close to in cost, possibly worse in results, and spending more time than biting the bullet on what you want. I do not find “refurbished” (put in a box) HomePod minis at $70 American dollars to be a good value.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My biggest Apple maps disappointment is how they show all those fancy walking route things then I try to use them in lower Manhattan and the GPS reception is so terrible they are useless.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smackfu posted:

My biggest Apple maps disappointment is how they show all those fancy walking route things then I try to use them in lower Manhattan and the GPS reception is so terrible they are useless.

Have you tried turning on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth? Really just Wi-Fi. A few cities have put thought into infrastructure beacons and the phones use SSIDs, which tends to improve location accuracy in dense urban areas. But it still may fail and show you 2 streets over.

In Chicago the GPS can be way off but when I re enable wifi in control center it corrects it, or tends to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone getting a bunch of false positives from Find My left-behind notifications? When I change locations, carrying my AirPods Pro, I routinely get a “no longer with you, last seen at Place You Just Left” message and panic lightly.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Subjunctive posted:

Anyone getting a bunch of false positives from Find My left-behind notifications? When I change locations, carrying my AirPods Pro, I routinely get a “no longer with you, last seen at Place You Just Left” message and panic lightly.

Non stop since they turned the feature on.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, I also get this for my AirPod Pros sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I posted in another thread but now it's on topic here.

I haven't had any problems with the feature though, when I leave something behind it's actually left behind. That message only popped up because I turned my ipad off when on a ferry.