Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

spookygonk posted:

Great fun.

you suck at intervention.

order placed.

BTW. OG 1999 coolpix 950 or the P950 modern one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

frumpykvetchbot posted:

BTW. OG 1999 coolpix 950 or the P950 modern one?

Did pick up a higher spec CP990 later on (for pennies when technology had moved on), but that's not as sensitive as the CP950. Was originally looking for a Minolta Dimage 7 for digital IR, but second hand prices were ridiculous in the early 2000's even when it had been superceded by two newer models. Then a 'boxed as new' CP950 turned up.

Only 2.1mp, but great fun (still in a box somewhere).

When I get my health and finances sorted out I'll get a new Nikon DSLR converted by LifePixel.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Two new Z lenses from Nikon: 70-180mm F2.8 and 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR

dpreview posted:

The Nikkor Z 70-180mm F2.8

The Nikkor Z 70-180mm F2.8 is the third lens in Nikon's trio of affordable F2.8 zooms, joining the Z 17-28mm F2.8 and Z 28-75mm F2.8 zoom lenses in Nikon's lineup, and Nikon says it's optimal for applications like weddings, portraits, sports and video. On paper, like the other two lenses, it's strikingly similar to the specs of a recent Tamron lens. In this instance it's the Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD, though the Nikkor version uses a stepper motor, rather than the Tamron's linear actuator.

Its optical formula consists of 19 elements in 14 groups, including five ED elements, one Super ED element, and three aspherical elements. Nikon says it's about 40% smaller than its Z 70-200mm F2.8 zoom (albeit with slightly less reach at the telephoto end), and at 795g (1.75 lbs) it's about half the weight.

dpreview posted:

Nikkor Z 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR

The Nikkor Z 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR is the spiritual successor to Nikon's F-mount 200-500mm F5.6 lens. Its optical formula includes 25 elements in 17 groups, including six ED glass elements to reduce chromatic aberration. All that glass means it's a relatively hefty lens, coming in at 1955g (4.3 lbs), or 2140 (4.7lbs) with the supplied tripod foot.

It features an internal zoom mechanism, nine aperture blades, and two custom function buttons. To better support video use, the lens includes a click-less control ring and suppresses focus breathing when shooting video. A stepping motor provides quiet autofocus.

The lens supports up to 5.5 stops of vibration reduction and has a minimum focus distance of 1.3m (4.3 ft) at the wide end. The zoom ring has a short, 70-degree throw, allowing for quick zooming between extreme focal lengths. The 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR is compatible with Nikon's TC-1.4x and TC-2.0x teleconverters, allowing for a reach of up to 1200mm. Nikon describes the lens as dust and drip resistant.

So the replacement for the F 200-500 5.6E has arrived: It got a little lighter, a little longer, picked up some extra range, and the zoom mechanism is all internal so no more dust pumping. Looks like it also picked up the short zoom ring throw from the Z 100-400 which is nice.

dpreview posted:

The Nikkor Z 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR will be available in August at a price of $1699 and the Nikkor Z 70-180mm F2.8 will be available from mid-July for $1249.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah the new consumer super zoom is pretty bang on excellent from the previews. Real nice.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Woah, that 180-600 will be very popular.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

If it's as good as the Sony 200-600 then the Nikon would be an easy buy.

Unfortunately where I am all of the Nikon Z stuff is ~33% more expensive than the Sony equivalents

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Recall for some Z8s because of a "rare" scenario where a lens cannot be locked into place during mounting:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/technical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-8-cameras.html

Nikon posted:

Technical Service Advisory for users of the Nikon Z 8 Cameras

Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs.

Users of the Z 8 camera have informed us that in some rare cases, a lens cannot be mounted on the camera because the lens cannot be rotated to the locked position.

Based on our investigation into the matter, it has become clear that this issue may occur with Z 8 cameras. We have identified a range of Z 8 camera serial numbers with which the issue may occur and will address the issue as follows.

Nikon will repair affected Z 8 cameras at no cost to the customer, including the cost of shipping affected Z 8 cameras to Nikon, as well as their return to customers, even if the warranty has expired.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Identifying Affected Products and Requesting Service

To check whether or not your Z 8 camera is one of those affected by this issue, click Affected Product Serial Numbers below and enter your Z 8 camera’s serial number as indicated.

> Affected Product Serial Numbers

If your Z 8 camera is one of those affected, instructions for requesting service, including receiving your free return shipping label, will be displayed onscreen. If your Z 8 camera is not one of those affected, then this will be displayed onscreen and you may continue using your camera without concern for this issue.

Locating Your Z 8 Camera’s Serial Number

To locate your Z 8 camera’s serial number, open the camera's monitor on the back of the camera and the product serial number will be the 7-digit number printed on a label affixed to the camera body as indicated by the red frame in the image above.

Please understand that Nikon will collect personally identifiable information as necessary to facilitate the service and shipping of affected Z 8 cameras. This information will not be used for any other purpose.

Once again, thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs.

Mine's on the poo poo list, welp :marc:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I don’t pay attention to other camera companies as much. Do they have as many recalls as Nikon? Seems like they have a fair amount.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

Recall for some Z8s because of a "rare" scenario where a lens cannot be locked into place during mounting:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/technical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-8-cameras.html

Mine's on the poo poo list, welp :marc:

Me too :(

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I bought the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DI VC USD AF Lens for Nikon F Mount to be used with my FTZ II adaptor on my Nikon Z5. When I connect everything, the camera automatically switches to manual. It looks like I'll need to buy an adaptor from Tamron to load new firmware on the lens to be able to use it. is that correct?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have the same issue with a 24-70 f2.8 G2, only it errors out... So yes, you need to get it updated. Some camera shops can do it for a nominal fee, as well.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Well that’s dumb, for this specific lens you need to mail it in to get the firmware update.

https://www.tamron.com/global/consumer/support/download/firmware/a011/nikon_f/

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ah, that sucks :smith:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

More Z8 doom and gloom: Some people are reporting the camera strap anchors are failing.

https://petapixel.com/2023/07/17/several-nikon-z8-owners-are-reporting-broken-or-loose-strap-lugs/

Petapixel posted:

Photographer Bart Ros explains in a private Nikon Z8 Facebook group that they were shooting an event in early July with their Nikon Z8 camera, alongside Peak Design’s popular anchors and strap.

“The anchor point on the camera broke. And the body fell. And it does not turn on anymore. Something audible is broken inside the body. But there is no external damage,” writes the photographer.

“Nikon plans to check it during the mount recall,” Ros says. He received a brand new Z8 under his warranty and is “happy with the service” but unhappy with the build quality of the Z8 so far.

While Ros’ unfortunate incident may be rare so far, it is not unique. Another Nikon Z8 group member, Ling Boon Kok, posted a photo of someone in China having a similar issue of the strap attachment lug detaching from the Z8 body.

“Well, this is possibly evidence of one case in China. Will wait for US tech support to let us know if it is really an issue,” replies Christina Brittain.

Fellow commenter John Ktistis says this is the third instance of the lug issue he has seen online.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

quote:

Hi huhu,

The A011 will not autofocus on the Z series cameras, even with the firmware update, unfortunately.

Kind regards,
Tamron Support

Sweet :tif:

I leave for Alaska next week and I can't find a decent lens to substitute and get in time. And the new Nikon lens doesn't release until I'm on the road. Ahhhhhh.

huhu fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 20, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Fabulousity posted:

More Z8 doom and gloom: Some people are reporting the camera strap anchors are failing.

https://petapixel.com/2023/07/17/several-nikon-z8-owners-are-reporting-broken-or-loose-strap-lugs/

The strangest thing about this to me are all the Nikon fanboys online wondering why people would ever use a camera strap. Are we not supposed to be doing that? I assume that’s what it’s there for.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All of my straps go to the tripod lug. Not saying the straps shouldn’t hold up the camera obviously but for heavy stuff I find it much nicer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brrrmph posted:

The strangest thing about this to me are all the Nikon fanboys online wondering why people would ever use a camera strap. Are we not supposed to be doing that? I assume that’s what it’s there for.

I ALWAYS use a strap. That’s why the lugs etc are there!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I want to get an L-bracket and wrist strap for my Z7II, I guess it's time to shell out some more money to feed the GAS monster :v:

My tripod is also a 15 year old alu piece of poo poo, that's going to cost a bit to upgrade, must have a proper ball head with a quick release that works with the L-bracket. RIP wallet?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

huhu posted:

Sweet :tif:

I leave for Alaska next week and I can't find a decent lens to substitute and get in time. And the new Nikon lens doesn't release until I'm on the road. Ahhhhhh.

I’m now the proud owner of the Nikon Z 100-400.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

huhu posted:

I’m now the proud owner of the Nikon Z 100-400.

I was going to recommend this, or a 70-300 AF-P + FTZ :v:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

And there's the strap lug recall:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2188257634/nikon-acknowledges-z8-strap-lug-failures-and-offers-repair

quote:

Nikon has acknowledged the stories of Z8 strap lug failure and said it will repair units in the affected serial number range.

The company says it received reports of problems with the metal strap eyelets on some cameras and has discovered that they: 'may become loose or separate from the camera body... this issue may occur if a Z 8 camera strap eyelet is subjected to conditions such as a strong impact or continuous heavy stress.'

Nikon Rumors reports a Z6/Z7 III isn't pending but instead a Zf is being cooked up using a new sensor. Can't find it now but there was also a newer rumor that the Zf would have Nikon's first pixel shifting implementation.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Seems sensible.
They have limited manufacturing capability so probably better pushing those holding out for a Z6/7 iii up to a Z8.
Meanwhile a Zf would be more niche and not take much at all away from Z8 sales.

(Still annoyed no D7xxx/D500 replacement though)

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Is this ZF sensor maybe just another tweak of the D750/Z5 sensor?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I gotta say, I’m intrigued. I’m a sucker for retro bodies with dials and knobs that don’t necessarily make the shooting experience any better.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

Nikon Rumors reports a Z6/Z7 III isn't pending but instead a Zf is being cooked up using a new sensor. Can't find it now but there was also a newer rumor that the Zf would have Nikon's first pixel shifting implementation.
Oh lord that looks so loving good.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'd be the coolest looking motherfucker shooting concerts with one of thems god drat

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

is it gonna be like three grand or something

e. wait this is the crop frame right? the Zfc is like $1100 and the Z38 is $800 or so? So it should be in a similar price point?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 10, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

e. wait this is the crop frame right? the Zfc is like $1100 and the Z38 is $800 or so? So it should be in a similar price point?
What? Nooooooo

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

is it gonna be like three grand or something

Full frame, somewhere around a 25 MP sensor that isn't shared with the Z6, and supposedly around $2000 for body only. No new lenses will be released along side it but a kit with the Z 40mm f/2 SE is expected.

This all via NikonRumors so who really knows, but they did get the details about the Z8 and Z 180-600mm pretty close to reality before they dropped.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh so Zfc is c=crop frame so the Zf (no c) is full frame OK I get it
although it's bizarre that a Zfc exists way ahead of the Zf, isn't it?

I'm constantly forgetting all the arcane alphabet soup of Nikons, even the poo poo my own camera is and isn't compatible with, it's just too much.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

Full frame, somewhere around a 25 MP sensor that isn't shared with the Z6, and supposedly around $2000 for body only. No new lenses will be released along side it but a kit with the Z 40mm f/2 SE is expected.
loving :getin:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Oh so Zfc is c=crop frame so the Zf (no c) is full frame OK I get it
although it's bizarre that a Zfc exists way ahead of the Zf, isn't it?

I'm constantly forgetting all the arcane alphabet soup of Nikons, even the poo poo my own camera is and isn't compatible with, it's just too much.

I think the Zfc is just a Z50 in a different body? Apparently the retro thing makes enough money for Nikon to return to the well once in a while.

The Zf is getting a new sensor and pixel shifting so it's more than a Z6 body swap. Supposedly the body won't have a full on grip but a grip-ish nub like the Df. I've never held a Zfc but it seems like the total lack of a grip would make it ergonomically unpleasant to use with anything bigger than a small prime lens.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the Zfc seems to be heavily marketed to "content creators" as like a webcam and as a crop frame lens buyer I can say with overconfidence that we don't splurge on super huge expensive lenses to mate to our discount bargain bin bodies all that much so I guess they don't care

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Zfc is more or less a Z50 refresh with "old styling".

I'm not sure a Zf is what's really needed - the Z6II and Z7II are aging and the competition has better/newer cameras out already, but a new sensor sounds interesting.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’ll day 1 buy a Zf as my dick around camera. I have a Zfc and it’s fun, but lack of ibis makes using it with little pancake primes that also don’t have VR a pain in the rear end.

It’s perfect as well, because 24mp is ‘fine’ when I’m out and about, but if I’m on holiday and can pixel shift that landscape shot up to 48mp or whatever that’s a rad compromise.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I tried a Zfc expecting to like it but after my Fuji film ZE3 it felt like crap.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I want to spend a few hundred bucks on a "normal" lens for the D500 so I can try more subjects that aren't small and far away.

Been looking at the 17-55mm 2.8 and 16-80mm 2.8-4 VR DX zooms, is it dumb to spend that much on crop format lenses? The only half-decent lenses I have so far are the 35mm f/1.8 DX and a Tamron 150-600 G2.

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 18, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
If you’re going to use it a lot, I think it’s good to invest in a lens like that. Though you may not be able to get what you paid for it if you want to sell it in six months, as the F mount glass is dropping in price pretty quick.

You could also check to see what Tamron and Sigma have to offer. These are under $200 and have good reviews.

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/product/sigma-17-50mm-f-2-8-ex-dc-os-hsm-nikon-fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
This looks cool. I’m still curious about the guts.

https://twitter.com/nikonrumors/status/1692391861439082642

Edit: how do I embed tweets these days?

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 18, 2023