Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If that's what you want, that's your business, but there is the reason why BBS', Usenet, forums, email clients designed to handle mailing lists, text-/image-boards and basically every other way of interacting with people has favoured simple listings and made threading optional.

Indenting threaded comments are explicitly designed to foster echo chambers, and sites that implement it are doing it because they think this is a good idea.

As for letting what's important be designed based on an algorithm that is, at best, opague - well, have you seen how bad search engines are now? Yeah, that's the future of every algorithm.

“Opague”, indeed.

I think it’s a little silly to argue about the “best” comment UI. An aggregator serves a different purpose than a forum. Their comment structure is going to be different to reflect that. I agree that Reddit doesn’t foster community in the same way SA does, and I do think their UI reflects that.

However, there are clearly advantages to reddit’s user experience. That’s why it was so useful to append “Reddit” to the end of a google search. Reddit’s UI is focused on sourcing the *best* comments, and allowing users to find them easily. That sacrifices community, sure, but it still accomplishes the goal it set out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Yeah, going from for-profit service to another is definitely going to go well.

that's mostly the whole history of social media. users migrating from one ruined for-profit site to the next that hasn't been ruined yet.

e: i will say that discord is probably the only other social media service aside from these forums that i've had an overall good experience on in the past decade. it's inevitable that it will get bought and ruined eventually, but i hope it's got some good years left.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 17, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

“Opague”, indeed.

I think it’s a little silly to argue about the “best” comment UI. An aggregator serves a different purpose than a forum. Their comment structure is going to be different to reflect that. I agree that Reddit doesn’t foster community in the same way SA does, and I do think their UI reflects that.

However, there are clearly advantages to reddit’s user experience. That’s why it was so useful to append “Reddit” to the end of a google search. Reddit’s UI is focused on sourcing the *best* comments, and allowing users to find them easily. That sacrifices community, sure, but it still accomplishes the goal it set out for.
I mean opague in the sense that the algorithm that powers things is proprietary - nobody but its engineers know how it works; any explanation that's available has been fed through a PR department, besides which it's probably not very up-to-date.

There's nothing unique to what Reddit does, Digg did it before - and I'm pretty sure there were a few other social news aggregator sites before that.
If they hadn't failed to be bought by Alphabet, and then subsequently implemented a very controversial new design, Reddit might've never taken off.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

that's mostly the whole history of social media. users migrating from one ruined for-profit site to the next that hasn't been ruined yet.

e: i will say that discord is probably the only other social media service aside from these forums that i've had an overall good experience on in the past decade. it's inevitable that it will get bought and ruined eventually, but i hope it's got some good years left.

Discord is already the loving worst, so I guess the good news nobody could ruin it

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

They’re both shitposting forums but one is nice and one is mean. They have very specific cultures analogous to nothing else. Read it and if you feel like you don’t get it you’re right and move on.

I will say that someone probably can become a BYOB poster. But FYAD posters are born, not made.

fyads more or less freeform creative writing/improv where if you suck people will let you know, and the only thing that matters is that your postings funny or doesn't gently caress up the flow of things that are

thats really all there is to it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Discord is already the loving worst, so I guess the good news nobody could ruin it
Well, eventually Discord is going to run out of venture capitalists money, at which point they'll either do an IPO or attempt to be bought by Amazon, Alphabet, Microsoft or some other multi-national data conglomerate that makes money off knowing way too much about people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Awkward Davies posted:

Hahaha, no. The upvote system frequently means that the best answers are buried beneath the earliest and snappiest answers. It's very bad at identifying the best and most useful comments.

Reddit isn't the default go-to for Google because it is effective, it's the default go-to because it's popular. The "advantage" to reddit's user experience is that our monkey brains make the feel good chemicals when we see numbers go up on a post we made, which makes people post there more, which makes it a good place to search for answers as long as you're willing to wade through 5 near-identical Q&A threads to find the one that has the correct answer.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you get banned in FYAD you get banned IRL

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i haven't had good luck with adding 'reddit' to google searches for a long time now, which is probably not because the answer doesn't exist in some reddit thread, but because google does a really terrible job of ranking results when it gets 100 hits from the same website

e: also, the result snippet shown on the google page often exists in an auto-collapsed comment thread when the post loads and good luck finding it

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 17, 2023

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I mean opague in the sense that the algorithm that powers things is proprietary - nobody but its engineers know how it works; any explanation that's available has been fed through a PR department, besides which it's probably not very up-to-date.

There's nothing unique to what Reddit does, Digg did it before - and I'm pretty sure there were a few other social news aggregator sites before that.
If they hadn't failed to be bought by Alphabet, and then subsequently implemented a very controversial new design, Reddit might've never taken off.

I, uh....

Think they meant....

Well:

opaque. Not opague

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Bananana posted:

I, uh....

Think they meant....

Well:

opaque. Not opague
Welp, that went so far over my head, I didn't even feel the breeze. :v:

And I would've appreciated the gust of air, because it's way too loving hot here. :mad:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I do feel some sympathy for people dismayed by Reddit's decline, and maybe even a little for people mourning Twiter (Twitter is so bad I struggle with sympathy for its users, though). For me, the biggest loss was when Yahoo! shut down the Yahoo News Message Boards. Like with so many other things, Yahoo! was pretty much first to implement something that later took off when done by somebody else. The News Message Boards accidentally became a huge social media site, but Yahoo! didn't know what they were doing and axed it, and know that big chunk of online history is effectively memoryholed.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Threaded comments are loving dogshit and we should ban anyone who admits otherwise here.

In the entire history of Reddit 3 people have never been able to have a discussion like you've had take place 4 times in the past few pages alone.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 17, 2023

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Yahoo would own the entire internet if they hadn't been so grossly incompetent

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

feel like pure poo poo just want yahoo pool back

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe jeffrey could add voice chat to forums threads? thoughts??

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i checked out the federated reddit clones, but man, i think anything with a downvote button just brings out the worst people

god forbid you just respond with words and stuff

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

gotta burn down the old horrible thing to make room for the new horrible thing

it’s

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bad Purchase posted:

What I:d like to see is audio smilies that play .wav files when you click on them

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I do feel some sympathy for people dismayed by Reddit's decline, and maybe even a little for people mourning Twiter (Twitter is so bad I struggle with sympathy for its users, though). For me, the biggest loss was when Yahoo! shut down the Yahoo News Message Boards. Like with so many other things, Yahoo! was pretty much first to implement something that later took off when done by somebody else. The News Message Boards accidentally became a huge social media site, but Yahoo! didn't know what they were doing and axed it, and know that big chunk of online history is effectively memoryholed.

I really 100% wish legitimate organizations, like news, politicians, and businesses, would stop using Twitter.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

let us fully customize every post we make with myspace style html editing

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Bad Purchase posted:

I just use the voices in my head.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I have AI presidents narrate all gbs posts

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Yahoo would own the entire internet if they hadn't been so grossly incompetent

Truth.

It was so bizarre to watch them introduce new cool thing, fail to actualize on it, and have it slowly fade away and die. They had online storage years before Dropbox or Google Drive, had online notes years before Google Keep or OneNote, and had viable webmail before drat near anyone but Hotmail. But they never managed to actually do much of anything with it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

kliras posted:

i checked out the federated reddit clones, but man, i think anything with a downvote button just brings out the worst people

god forbid you just respond with words and stuff

the idea's to automate forums janitorial functions. like, the assumption being that a spam post will just get downvoted into annihilation. the actuality is something different

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Hey we got that extra season of Community out of Yahoo, that was a nice donation to the nerd community on the way out

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

they should make it so the downvote button hurts the user in real life

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

whenever i read a comment thread of some people doing a bit that they saw on tv 10 years ago i want to launch them out of a cannon into the loving sun

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

If that's what you want, that's your business, but there is the reason why BBS', Usenet, forums, email clients designed to handle mailing lists, text-/image-boards and basically every other way of interacting with people has favoured simple listings and made threading optional.

Indenting threaded comments are explicitly designed to foster echo chambers, and sites that implement it are doing it because they think this is a good idea.

As for letting what's important be designed based on an algorithm that is, at best, opague - well, have you seen how bad search engines are now? Yeah, that's the future of every algorithm.
I think my last message has misled one or two people. For me , hierarchical/indented comments are better. I have my own preferences as you do, and I'm not sure either of us are wrong. I see it as a preference from my point of view, because it arranges all these micro-discussions within threads into neat sections. The benefits of that I'd see in so many threads I've participated in just this evening - one top-level comment per 'post' in the /r/relationships thread, and all of the chat about it happening underneath. The direction of the theme changing every few comments in the UK thread, too - I've found myself going back pages and pages in the past, to find the origin of a set of comments that one guy quoted. Individual scenarios would help me out too, like if I get to a thread thousands of comments in and genuinely have no clue what in the horse tits is going on.

I've realised that whole nerd spaff blancmange of a paragraph could've been summarised in one word: 'context'.

I think the two points you made though, are very separate things. Echo chambers are bad across the board, I don't like them and will always do my best to not be in one. This is a risk within any sort of structure though, and that's solved somewhere totally differently (policing comment quality) rather than laying it out like that. Couldn't agree more on the upvoting/downvoting thing though - I don't think anyone uses it properly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bus hustler posted:

Threaded comments are loving dogshit and we should ban anyone who admits otherwise here.

In the entire history of Reddit 3 people have never been able to have a discussion like you've had take place 4 times in the past few pages alone.

The worst part is instead 32 people have a slice of that same conversations split among continually splintering threads with some new goober occasionally barrelling in to miss the point and bring up something irrelevant or wrong. That and basically every post and discussion does and goes unseen after a day

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

The Voice of Labor posted:

I would respect the conclusion more had op nailed the last piece of the research puzzle, that anyone can be a byob poster if they smoke enough weed

okay then I'm a shoo-in

I'll post later. (never)

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Lusty Grundles posted:

I think my last message has misled one or two people. For me , hierarchical/indented comments are better

I'm with you.

Threads are great when you match the general population of the forums.

Subreddits with stacked/hierarchical comments are better to see further conversation with multiple points of view which is what I prefer. I also check out the controversial dumped on comments,

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

feverish and oversexed posted:

I also check out the controversial dumped on comments,

why?

when you have a downvote system, anyone who would contribute unpopular but reasonable comments in a community won't stay there long if they keep getting downvoted because why waste their time? so once the culture of a place is established, the only controversial posts you find regularly are either from trolls or just completely unhinged weirdos who can't take a hint

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
hacker news still don't know how to use their threaded system for conversations, and it's usually just everyone replying to some branch of the biggest comment

to be fair, it's hacker news, so not necessarily a flaw in the general system, but they should probably just (...) the branches at some point like reddit

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

kliras posted:

hacker news still don't know how to use their threaded system for conversations, and it's usually just everyone replying to some branch of the biggest comment

to be fair, it's hacker news, so not necessarily a flaw in the general system, but they should probably just (...) the branches at some point like reddit

It's because people clout-chase upvotes and visibility. No use replying to some thread halfway down the page when 90% of people are gonna just read the top parent comment and some of the top threads off it before hitting their back button.

It's one of the things I don't like about threaded comments. At least with linear poo poo, you get equal visibility of all input. Hyperlinked replies aren't the best solution, but at least you can use them to trace some semblance of discussion.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Bad Purchase posted:

why?

when you have a downvote system, anyone who would contribute unpopular but reasonable comments in a community won't stay there long if they keep getting downvoted because why waste their time? so once the culture of a place is established, the only controversial posts you find regularly are either from trolls or just completely unhinged weirdos who can't take a hint

because often the downvoted stuff is just people that got bandwagoned and I actually agree with them so I like to check out reality (local subreddits)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the only solution to social media discussion is for mods to have to approve all comments before they appear, and only let the good, non-duplicate ones through

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Welcome back old goons and welcome refugees of reddit and Twitter

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Bad Purchase posted:

why?

Just something they like to do. It's all good. Some folks slow down to look at car crashes when they go by.

Fair point though, but there is a hidden third option. The court of popular opinion, where folks en masse decide they don't like someone (I distinctly remember that Gallowboob guy got a lot of poo poo for a while because of the volume of content he contributes) and take it upon themselves to bury their contributions. I have the same opinion of Steve Huffman as pretty much everyone else here, he's a land-dwelling bellpiece but seeing every comment of his sat at -2000 minimum isn't an indication of the quality of each comment or their relevance to the discussion (as they're supposed to be). They're nothing more than "we think you're killing the site, and we don't like you for it at all". They're not wrong, but that's absolutely not what the function is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the downvote button is for whatever the users use it for, though, you have to design the system based on what people actually do with it