Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larryb posted:

Hell, aside from stuff like Marvel/Star Wars cartoons and Miraculous Ladybug serialized animated programming on Disney basically died with The Owl House
Why waste the time and money plotting something when you can just replay shut lile CN did with TTG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah I guess now that Disney's wrapped up their other projects and there's no real word on anything else coming down the pipe, that might be it for a while. Cartoon Network had the excuse that Zaslav hated it slightly more than he hates most of his company, so it kind of bottomed out (and word is that CN doesn't exist internally anymore). Nickelodeon never really joined the trend of longterm narratives, and it doesn't seem like any other companies have much of an interest in investing into young adult cartoons.

I guess in theory Hilda is still in the pipeline at Netflix?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah I guess now that Disney's wrapped up their other projects and there's no real word on anything else coming down the pipe, that might be it for a while. Cartoon Network had the excuse that Zaslav hated it slightly more than he hates most of his company, so it kind of bottomed out (and word is that CN doesn't exist internally anymore). Nickelodeon never really joined the trend of longterm narratives, and it doesn't seem like any other companies have much of an interest in investing into young adult cartoons.

I guess in theory Hilda is still in the pipeline at Netflix?

I haven’t heard anything about Hilda Season 3 in a long time though (I forget, is that an in house show or is it done by another company?)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Guessing that Summer Camp Island's final season is also still in weird limbo.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

serialized animated programming on Disney basically died with The Owl House
Moon Girl S1 is about as serialized as Star Vs S1 was and I would expect the second season to be a little moreso

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

Moon Girl S1 is about as serialized as Star Vs S1 was and I would expect the second season to be a little moreso

Technically that falls under the Marvel category I mentioned though

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
If i recall correctly, CN studios got folded into Warner Animation.
Most likely Zaslav decided to sacrifice it in favor of expanding Adult Swim.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do get the sense that while Zaslav hates all good things on this earth, he seems to hate children and women more, so adult animation with a strong male audience is gonna be safer.

Adult Swim also is harder to fold in with the other animation divisions and has a weird side gig as a videogame publisher.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/theseantcollins/status/1669496709389459462

i'll admit, i never really watched this show cause it seemed kind of weird back in the day. but all the same, really sucks since it was THE original AS series

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

i'll admit, i never really watched this show cause it seemed kind of weird back in the day. but all the same, really sucks since it was THE original AS series

It certainly wasn't for everybody but if you clicked with it, you really clicked with it. For a long stretch one year this bizarre little half hour of repurposed Hanna-Barbera shows was one of the few things I genuinely looked forward to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like it hits a lot different if you didn't grow up with at least loose familiarity with the talk shows it was taking the piss out of.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

"Hey what if we took a sledgehammer and smashed the rosetta stone?"

gently caress that. SG:C2C is like, so fuckin historically important to understanding a lot of young adult media and 2000s humor.

loving rip, I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkup4zo97E0

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

still up on the adult swim website at the least. (edit: not all the episodes though; poo poo)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

adult animation with a strong male audience is gonna be safer
Infinity Train Season 5: we say "gently caress" now

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do get the sense that while Zaslav hates all good things on this earth, he seems to hate children and women more, so adult animation with a strong male audience is gonna be safer.

Adult Swim also is harder to fold in with the other animation divisions and has a weird side gig as a videogame publisher.

I'm not sure about that. Reality TV shows are much more popular among women than men which is part of the reason he tried to justify a focus on non-scripted stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We have our first teaser for the ATLA Netflix series:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QOg9LUIvaig

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1670191089259536386

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Not feeling it. Was this the one the creators were kicked off?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Beachcomber posted:

Not feeling it. Was this the one the creators were kicked off?

They left of their own volition due to creative differences. Their statement is brutally candid and rather alarming.

It's hard not seeing this going the way of the Cowboy Bebop adaptation where they took a show that wove between a lot of different tones and genres and flattened it into paste. But I'm not going to be watching it so who cares what I think :shrug:

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 18, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mycot posted:

They left of their own volition due to creative differences. Their statement is brutally candid and rather alarming.

It's hard not seeing this going the way of the Cowboy Bebop adaptation where they took a show that wove between a lot of different tones and genres and flattened it into paste. But I'm not going to be watching it so who cares what I think :shrug:

One knew the CB series was doomed when the showrunner said "I don't see the crew as living in a dystopia."

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

We have our first teaser for the ATLA Netflix series
I have admittedly only watched one episode of Avatar so far in my life but the question these pictures raise is me is "why?"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I don't need to see any actual footage. This is going to implode so hard.

And that makes me sad. :(

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
What is #TUDUM? Is it pronounced #TooDumb?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

I have admittedly only watched one episode of Avatar so far in my life but the question these pictures raise is me is "why?"

https://youtu.be/iHZQ70_U92E

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inkspot posted:

What is #TUDUM?
I googled it and I am pleased to inform you that I still can't understand what it is

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think that works better if you're making a spinoff movie where once you get people in the theater, you already have their money, and less well if you're Netflix and you're just adding another show that people will turn off after 5 minutes

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Inkspot posted:

What is #TUDUM? Is it pronounced #TooDumb?

I'm guessing they intend it to be an onomatopoeia for the sound that plays when you start playing a Netflix original on Netflix

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently TUDUM is the annual Netflix event where they show off their upcoming new shows/seasons/movies.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Looks bad. Though if I'm being completely honest they already lost me way back when they announced the project wasn't going to be animated.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Larryb posted:

Apparently TUDUM is the annual Netflix event where they show off their upcoming new shows/seasons/movies.

I hope they have an In Memoriam section for all the shows they killed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

I hope they have an In Memoriam section for all the shows they killed.

That's the other thing. Let's say they luck out and have another Edgerunners on their hand or whatever series you happen to like. The odds are even if it's good it'll last a season, maybe two, because Netflix.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

AlternateNu posted:

I don't need to see any actual footage. This is going to implode so hard.

And that makes me sad. :(

On the positive side, this is so terrible that Nickeldon is already making an animated film and sequel to try and potentially erase the stink of this show before it even happens.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Larryb posted:

galenanorth posted:

I'm guessing they intend it to be an onomatopoeia for the sound that plays when you start playing a Netflix original on Netflix

I'm guessing they should have spent less on their hashtag budget and more on conventional marketing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On the Superman opening trying to identify the villains.

The left is Silver Banshee, Rough House, and Intergang. Don't know who power armor guy on the left is. That is undoubtedly Waller next to Intergang. Don't know who Skullguy with Swords is. The armored person with electric hands could be Livewire. Mechanical Kaiju thing could be Metallo. Big face on the right is Mxyzptlk. I am guessing shadow in the back is Brainiac. Superman look alike in the center could be Eradicator or Cyborg Superman. Surprised no Lex.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The left is Silver Banshee, Rough House, and Intergang. Don't know who power armor guy on the left is. That is undoubtedly Waller next to Intergang. Don't know who Skullguy with Swords is. The armored person with electric hands could be Livewire. Mechanical Kaiju thing could be Metallo. Big face on the right is Mxyzptlk. I am guessing shadow in the back is Brainiac. Superman look alike in the center could be Eradicator or Cyborg Superman. Surprised no Lex.

Brainiac already has a confirmed VA so he’s definitely in at least, I’m assuming we’ll get a Lex as well (it’d be kind of weird if we didn’t)

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't know who Skullguy with Swords is.

Atomic Skull?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

He looked so different from the flaming head Atomic Skull that I am used to, that he did not cross my mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been a long while since there's been Superman media actually doing stuff with the villains besides Lex, Zod, and Doomsday. And maybe a bit of Brainiac if you're lucky.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Krypton, the show, was all Braniac all the time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Between this and One Piece I'm not sure what will be the breaking point for Netflix but it has to come soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i used to think that the animation age ghetto was a mostly a thing from out of touch suits and execs, but maybe there's a decent % of "normal" consumers just cant enjoy stuff if its animated and has to be live action. like it has to be real so theyre real serious grown ups with real serious tastes.