Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

This is perfect for one of those parody twitter accounts like OneLessThanPerfectShot or OneImperfectShot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I laughed so hard in the empty theater. I had to take that pic. It was just so insane

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So what's the story with Superman in the film? What is the explanation for him not being there and it instead being Supergirl? Was Superman there and just killed by Zod or was he never there at all?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

X-O posted:

So what's the story with Superman in the film? What is the explanation for him not being there and it instead being Supergirl? Was Superman there and just killed by Zod or was he never there at all?

Zod was able to track down and intercept baby Kal-El's ship and kill him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-O posted:

Basically yeah, Kara does the standard thing where she was supposed to look after Kal but his pod goes off course and then Zod tells her that they found it and in the process of trying to get the genetic stuff that Jor-El put in there it killed him. Also apparently in this universe Jor-El hid it in Kara instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The dumbest part of the cameo-fest late in the movie is how it is all Supermans (other than one Batman) which leads to all the dead person CG. Like maybe they should have focused on actors they could actually get from the various DC movies.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Zod was able to track down and intercept baby Kal-El's ship and kill him.

muscles like this! posted:

Basically yeah, Kara does the standard thing where she was supposed to look after Kal but his pod goes off course and then Zod tells her that they found it and in the process of trying to get the genetic stuff that Jor-El put in there it killed him. Also apparently in this universe Jor-El hid it in Kara instead.

So how did Zod get to Earth then? Clark is the one that brought him to Earth in Man of Steel when he activated the distress call on the ship.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

X-O posted:

So how did Zod get to Earth then? Clark is the one that brought him to Earth in Man of Steel when he activated the distress call on the ship.

Magic

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The movie is fine when it is being dumb and having fun (like I know it is getting dragged online but I though the baby scene was funny just for how over the top it was) but it definitely has problems when it is being serious. Like how the conclusion of the movie is Barry just giving up on Flashpoint Earth and declaring that it is their fate to die by Zod.

Edit: Also it is clear they spent a LOT of money on the double effects and it works as they are constantly interacting and there's only a couple shots where it looks fakey.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 17, 2023

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Movie was decent mainly for Michael Keaton, but it was overlong. I enjoyed watching Michael Shannon not giving a single gently caress about turning in an imposing performance. Dude acted like he read his lines right before walking on set and delivered them with all the intensity of someone ordering coffee. The main change I would've made is cut Barry losing his powers. That could've trimmed about half an hour off the runtime.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Cause people loved the special effects in Love and Thunder so much.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I like this take

quote:

In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, “Spider-Verse” producers and writers Phil Lord and Chris Miller said “superhero fatigue” is not to blame for certain comic book movies falling below expectations.

“I don’t believe it’s super superhero fatigue, I believe it’s ‘a movie that feels like a movie I’ve seen a dozen times before’ fatigue,” Miller said. “If you’re using the same story structure and the same style and the same tone and the same vibe as movies and shows that have come before, it doesn’t matter what genre it is. It’s going to be boring to people.”

“And the audience in the theater cannot be sustained on Easter eggs and reveals,” Lord added. “Or even these big, crazy multiverse stakes. They only care about, like, the relationship between Rocket Raccoon and Groot.”

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The new Clone High is great so there's no denying Lord and Miller.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're right

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol they filmed three different endings for Flash and chose the worst one

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...d9da6937cf0601a

Spoilers and all that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's definitely one of the main issues with the MCU right now. The early stuff was good because they were all their own things taking place in a shared universe, but more and more they have the same look and tone.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Codependent Poster posted:

lol they filmed three different endings for Flash and chose the worst one

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...d9da6937cf0601a

Spoilers and all that.

Lol let's replace the ending that was screen tested and gave some resolution to characters featured in the movie with an idea based on a dumb joke

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

muscles like this! posted:

Probably the weirdest thing in a movie of weird things is how Barry talks about how he could only save a kid but not his dad when Zod originally attacked and then they show the kid and his dad again but nothing happens with it. Why bring it up and revisit it if you're not doing anything with it?

Also I paid no money to see this so I'm doing my part of not contributing.

lmao. Yeah, I wondered about that, too. Why??

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Like it doesn't even fit into the theme of Barry learning he can't save everyone because he's nowhere near them the second time they appear.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Opopanax posted:

It's definitely one of the main issues with the MCU right now. The early stuff was good because they were all their own things taking place in a shared universe, but more and more they have the same look and tone.

People being lukewarm on the TV shows when they were trying to launch new stuff probably didn't help. I have legit doubts that we ever see anything from those moving forward apart from Ms. Marvel and Captain Falcon

It's a shame to because I really liked Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

OnimaruXLR posted:

Captain Falcon

gently caress.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm sure we'll get more Moon Knight in one way or another. She Hulk too I imagine but I'd almost rather they keep her as her own kind of side thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I'll give WB for The Flash is that they credit both Golden and Silver Age creators of the character and they do it during the initial end credits.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I didn’t go see Flash and I don’t care, so I’ve been reading the spoilers, and lol. Sounds awful.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I'm sure we'll get more Moon Knight in one way or another. She Hulk too I imagine but I'd almost rather they keep her as her own kind of side thing.

She Hulk's on the banner on Disney+.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's been some confusion regarding one of the cameos in The Flash with multiple sites saying that Jay Garrick was played by Teddy Sears but he says it wasn't him.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I liked The Flash quite a bit. There, I said it. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So brave

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

and so bold

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fangz posted:

Lol let's replace the ending that was screen tested and gave some resolution to characters featured in the movie with an idea based on a dumb joke

Cutting Supergirl from the ending sounds very bad. Like I get that Gunn and Sarfan probably don't want to commit to Calle as their Supergirl as they didn't cast her, and want a clean break, but it seems lovely that they bring in a Hispanic actor playing her, and she dies in the same movie and that's it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xenomrph posted:

I liked The Flash quite a bit. There, I said it. :colbert:

You and me both. :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vandar posted:

You and me both. :)

Hell yeah, friend. :hfive:

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Rewatching No Way Home really does The Flash no favors. Alfred Molina scenes are more tailored to his character than any of Michael Keaton's.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This Flash buzz has got me wondering, have Johns' effect on DC generally just been a lot of failure outside of the comics stuff? I guess there was that long-rear end CW Flash TV series which seems to be well-liked, as far as that sort of thing goes. But beyond that?

Green Lantern bombed (although hilariously, adjusted for inflation, not as much as Flash)
Green Lantern cartoon was a modest success but ultimately died without much fanfare
Cyborg on Doom Patrol because they can't use Beast Boy seems to have gone over way better than Cyborg on the Justice League so they can use Hal as Green Lantern
People liked the Watchmen follow up show, but it also had basically squat to do with the sequel comics

And now this

I dunno, he's feeling a bit like an anti-Bendis at the moment.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

OnimaruXLR posted:

This Flash buzz has got me wondering, have Johns' effect on DC generally just been a lot of failure outside of the comics stuff? I guess there was that long-rear end CW Flash TV series which seems to be well-liked, as far as that sort of thing goes. But beyond that?

Green Lantern bombed (although hilariously, adjusted for inflation, not as much as Flash)
Green Lantern cartoon was a modest success but ultimately died without much fanfare
Cyborg on Doom Patrol because they can't use Beast Boy seems to have gone over way better than Cyborg on the Justice League so they can use Hal as Green Lantern
People liked the Watchmen follow up show, but it also had basically squat to do with the sequel comics

And now this

This seems impossible to quantify because stuff Johns has made has gotten into a lot of adaptations and sometimes things that do use his ideas only bare a sparse resemblance to the original. Like this movie has basically nothing to do with Flashpoint other than the idea of "The Flash changes the past and fucks everything up".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Opening weekend projections have Flash making $55 million; $12 million less than Black Adam did in its opening. It's a hilarious bomb.

Also Elemental barely managed second place, only $2M ahead of Across The Spider-Verse to avoid the humiliation of getting beat by a movie in its third week, but that one's so close that we've gotta wait for the actuals.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CapnAndy posted:

Opening weekend projections have Flash making $55 million; $12 million less than Black Adam did in its opening. It's a hilarious bomb.

Also Elemental barely managed second place, only $2M ahead of Across The Spider-Verse to avoid the humiliation of getting beat by a movie in its third week, but that one's so close that we've gotta wait for the actuals.
Elementals especially seemed like the most uninspired Pixar movie yet

Flash was probably headed for a bomb between the crowded time for movies and the fact that he's not as big of a draw as bigger characters

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

OnimaruXLR posted:

And now this

Stargirl was good, but you are kinda right. It is funny too because his current comics are pretty good atm.

His new JSA seems to be the pre-coie earth-2 and the first arc is something he has teased going all the way back to his original justice society run. His new stargirl mini was cool and he helped create a shitload of new interesting sidekicks that I hope aren't destined to die.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 18, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also weird thing about the Flash ending stuff: The glimpse of Jay Garrick is using the costume design from the TV show, and LOOKS like Teddy Sears... who actually played Zoom PRETENDING to be Jay... but it's apparently just some random background artist. Meaning instead of just using archival footage like they did for most of the other stuff... they shot new footage, of a guy wearing a costume and looking like... an actor who didn't actually play that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Elementals especially seemed like the most uninspired Pixar movie yet

Flash was probably headed for a bomb between the crowded time for movies and the fact that he's not as big of a draw as bigger characters

Flash can be cool but too bad his first movie has to be about time travel and the multiverse of a dead universe, with multiple Batmen to upstage him, and links to a Superman movie that doesn't actually bring Superman along with it but does bring back a villain we've already seen before, and played by a person associated with some seriously non-heroic IRL garbage behaviour.