Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
He's in an entirely different multiverse.

I saw the movie. Some stuff worked. Supergirl was rad and Batman cooking spaghetti I liked. A person that can run fast enough to move through time is just a cool concept. Most of the movie didn't, though. I never really got invested in Barry as a character, he's kinda off-putting, so the big emotional beats didn't register much. Also, there were some confounding CGI choices and a few of the cameos (if that's what you can call them) were pretty crass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god, I already knew about most of the deepfake cameos but I just found out about the one for George Reeves.

Hague.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

kiminewt posted:

I went through the same poo poo with these multiversal movies as I did with comics many years ago. Super into it at first, thought it was cool and imagined more possibilities then got completely sick of it, wondering the hell when they'll be back to telling actual stories.

I quit comics because of the interconnected universe crap making it impossible to tell a coherent story over more than 5 issues, and I'm very much nearing that edge with mcu crap. Multiverse stuff is taking the interconnectedness up to 11.

Man, I'm so the opposite of you. Feed me multiverse stuff!

Admittedly, the only comic I ever subscribed to as a kid was "What If...?" so maybe that just says more about me.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Since I have no plans to watch it anytime soon, is the second Barry Zoom or that ugly Flash that looks like a chunk of coal? Or is he neither?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Joe Fisto posted:

Since I have no plans to watch it anytime soon, is the second Barry Zoom or that ugly Flash that looks like a chunk of coal? Or is he neither?

Worse,they’re Ezra miller.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Worse,they’re Ezra miller.

Goddamnit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

My theory here is that Scientology correctly identified Ezra as a nutter with delusions of grandeur, and the org wants to lure them into joining Scientology.

Scientology is ridiculously homophobic, so while maybe this is a thought, I doubt it would work out particularly well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven’t seen Flash so I don’t know but it doesn’t really feel to me like an even test for the future of multiverse movies. It’s cameos sound especially cynical and shallow and the entire nature of its reality is in question with the state of the DCEU. It can’t be a status quo changing movie because coming out of it you don’t know what the gently caress the future is for the DCEU or where if at all it fits.

The Flash is just a weird artifact like these other DCEU movies. I don’t know what they mean for anything because they’re all weird zombie films.

Also somewhat related I watched Shazam 2 the other day and I thought it was fine. A totally generic and forgettable super hero film that entertained me for its run time and number my brain. Nothing special and didn’t make the most of what it had. But totally fine popcorn.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think the original intention before all of the crazy Ezra Miller stuff was to make The Flash a swan song for the DC cinematic universe started by Zack Snyder.

But thanks to all of the stuff surrounding Miller they couldn't really market the movie around him, and every trailer I saw for the movie spent more time showing the Michael Keaton Batman stuff than anything else.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just got back from the movie. I enjoyed it. It had its issues but overall I thought it was solid.

I think I'm in love with Sasha Calle now though. I very much hope she gets to play Supergirl somehow again in the future.

I popped hard for when Nic Cage fought the goddamn Thanagarian Snare Beast.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

So, obviously, Across the Spider-verse has a metric ton of references to MCU and Sony properties, but I think I may have been the only person to catch the extremely oblique Morbius reference when Miles and Gwen were first swinging around and catching up.

Gwen: Miguel is like... A Spiderman vampire, kinda. But don't worry, he's a good guy.

Miles: A good guy vampire? I'd pay money to see that!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SlimGoodbody posted:

So, obviously, Across the Spider-verse has a metric ton of references to MCU and Sony properties, but I think I may have been the only person to catch the extremely oblique Morbius reference when Miles and Gwen were first swinging around and catching up.

Gwen: Miguel is like... A Spiderman vampire, kinda. But don't worry, he's a good guy.

Miles: A good guy vampire? I'd pay money to see that!

I excitedly nudged my wife after that line and she was amused by how much I loved that stupid joke.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed The Flash, and I got to see Nic Cage as Superman fight a giant spider in the third act, something I've been waiting 20 years for. It was fun and maybe half of the jokes made me laugh which isn't a bad ratio for me and cbm jokes. I don't regret giving money for this but also I don't really care, I paid for Money Plane and that went to Kelsey Grammer. I enjoyed it but I'm glad this universe is almost dead, especially if this was the best they could come up with to pivot to.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Space_Butler posted:

I enjoyed The Flash, and I got to see Nic Cage as Superman fight a giant spider in the third act, something I've been waiting 20 years for. It was fun and maybe half of the jokes made me laugh which isn't a bad ratio for me and cbm jokes. I don't regret giving money for this but also I don't really care, I paid for Money Plane and that went to Kelsey Grammer. I enjoyed it but I'm glad this universe is almost dead, especially if this was the best they could come up with to pivot to.

It wasn't a giant spider!

It was a Thanagarian Snare Beast! :argh:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flash is apparently DOA. Tracking for a 55-60 million domestic opening weekend. That's less than Black Adam. And worst of all, the movie got a B Cinemscore. That's lower than Suicide Squad or even Justice League. So word of mouth is pretty bad which bodes very poorly for the moving having sticking power and making money over the long term. It looks to be a massive bomb at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was really really bad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CelticPredator posted:

It was really really bad.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

X-O posted:

Flash is apparently DOA. Tracking for a 55-60 million domestic opening weekend. That's less than Black Adam. And worst of all, the movie got a B Cinemscore. That's lower than Suicide Squad or even Justice League. So word of mouth is pretty bad which bodes very poorly for the moving having sticking power and making money over the long term. It looks to be a massive bomb at this point.

95% audience score!!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don’t even care about if the movie is good or not, it needs to burn on principle.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arist posted:

Oh my god, I already knew about most of the deepfake cameos but I just found out about the one for George Reeves.

Hague.

Yeah I saw about that and Jesus Christ. Especially since apparently they had planned cameos they cut because they wouldn’t fit. Why keep this one?

And they still thought Batgirl was too bad for release. They cancelled the wrong movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What uh

What's happening here

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

X-O posted:

Yikes that’s impressively bad! Gunn has a lot of work to do to make the DCU viable as a profitable film franchise again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hey they can always rerelease it for streaming recut to 4:3, 4 hours long, with some CGI Darkseid at the end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BrianWilly posted:

What uh

What's happening here

Flash is rewatching the baby scene

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

The "Chronosphere" is some of the worst CGI that has ever been put into a super hero movie, and anyone who uses "well it's SUPPOSED to look weird and offputting and trippy" an an excuse for the uncanny valley horror is not worth arguing with.

X-O posted:

This made me genuinely curious about exact grades. Justice League / Wonder Woman 84 / both Suicide Squads / Black Adam all were previously tied for "lowest" in the DC movies with a B+. Flash gets to join Eternals and Ant Man: Quantumania with that B.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The chronosphere is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time to represent time travel but they should've made them paintings or even comic book panels. Like, have the first few rows be body doubles that eventually become Ivan Reis panels or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

I've honestly been surprised with the amount of people itt who know better pay to support Ezra Miller, so we'll see

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It really doesn't help that all of the ads for The Flash look like poo poo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

I've honestly been surprised with the amount of people itt who know better pay to support Ezra Miller, so we'll see

Why are you surprised? People love their treats.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t give a poo poo honestly. I needed to see the death of comic book movies with my own eyes

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My conscience is clear!

:colbert:

(I saw a freebie preview screening, even the popcorn was free)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Who's it for?
Gunn announced he was redoing the universe (except not, in true DC fashion). So anyone who hated the Snyderverse wont want to watch the flaming end of a redo of Zod.

People who enjoyed Snyder's poo poo obviously jumped ship after ZSJL and the characterization wont be anything like what he worked on (just look at the fuckin suit ffs).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My dad saw it and cried when the corpses at the end showed up so idk. I guess him lmao

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

This looks like one of those AI generated images where everything resembles a real item but you can’t discern anything, and then somebody slapped Ezra Miller’s head on top of it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why is his body 20ft behind him

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why is his body 20ft behind him
The movie opens with him saving a bunch of babies from a collapsing hospital. This scene is when he first learns to time travel and accidentally revisits that moment.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BrianWilly posted:

What uh

What's happening here

"Nothing's wrong with the sun, he just got older."

"The Teletubbies Baby is all grown up now."

"Look into his dead dog eyes..."

"My mortal enemy is the moon."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well I'm glad the explanations made the screenshot even more confusing so thanks :xd:

Vandar posted:

The movie opens with him saving a bunch of babies from a collapsing hospital. This scene is when he first learns to time travel and accidentally revisits that moment.
Did only his head learn to time travel and not the rest of him?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He Pokes his head in like the spot only it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably the weirdest thing in a movie of weird things is how Barry talks about how he could only save a kid but not his dad when Zod originally attacked and then they show the kid and his dad again but nothing happens with it. Why bring it up and revisit it if you're not doing anything with it?

Also I paid no money to see this so I'm doing my part of not contributing.