Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
oh wow, hey thread! I see you were just discussing Microcenter bundles!

I'm wondering how this scores on the value spectrum:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006265/intel-i9-13900k,-asus-tuf-z790-plus-wifi,-gskill-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-bundle

I'm just looking to upgrade my current dev box. I run VMs, multiple instances of visual studio, Vscode, docker, etc. Currently I have a Core i7 6700K with 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz(?)

Some of the reviews say that the RAM is tight to install... I'll just return it if that's the case. Microcenter is like 10 minutes away.

Mostly I want to know if the above is worth $250 more than this:
https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

I plan to upgrade to 64GB of RAM as well. I'll get a cheap cooler and have most of the other parts lying around.

Any thoughts? You guys helped me get my current machine and build one for my little brother-in-law and I really appreciate that your feedback :)

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

namlosh posted:

oh wow, hey thread! I see you were just discussing Microcenter bundles!

I'm wondering how this scores on the value spectrum:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006265/intel-i9-13900k,-asus-tuf-z790-plus-wifi,-gskill-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-bundle

I'm just looking to upgrade my current dev box. I run VMs, multiple instances of visual studio, Vscode, docker, etc. Currently I have a Core i7 6700K with 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz(?)

Some of the reviews say that the RAM is tight to install... I'll just return it if that's the case. Microcenter is like 10 minutes away.

Mostly I want to know if the above is worth $250 more than this:

I plan to upgrade to 64GB of RAM as well. I'll get a cheap cooler and have most of the other parts lying around.

Any thoughts? You guys helped me get my current machine and build one for my little brother-in-law and I really appreciate that your feedback :)

Thanks!

I'm not an expert on dev stuff, but the i9 I think is worth it for that use case. I do some ml on cpu and the more cores the merrier. However, you may need a better cooler as the i9 is a thirsty chip and without thermal headroom, a lot of perfomance gets left on the table. You should consider the price of a new cooler (maybe an AIO as 250w is alot for air) as you evaluate the value of bundles.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
just came into a 512gb nvme, only have a single slot on the mb, but have open pcie slots. Is there any reason not to get something like

https://www.amazon.com/M-2-Adapter-...07JJTVGZM&psc=1

and add for more game storage?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Nooner posted:

just came into a 512gb nvme, only have a single slot on the mb, but have open pcie slots. Is there any reason not to get something like

https://www.amazon.com/M-2-Adapter-...07JJTVGZM&psc=1

and add for more game storage?

I used one for a bit. It worked fine. I didn't bother with the heatsink.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Gaming and Shitposting.
What's your budget? 1000 but if it is significantly better by spending and extra 300 - 500 dollars I will.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I have a Viewsonic VA2465mh, Full HD 1920x1080 resolution, 3000:1 static contrast ratio (not sure on refresh rate)
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I would like to be able to play Diablo 4 with reasonable high settings.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? No.

My first question is the post on the front hasn't been updated in 7ish months, so is everything there still accurate enough to build a computer with?

You all helped me years ago when I built my current computer and honestly it has been great for the last 7 years but with newer games coming out, it just isn't making it anymore.

(copy pasted from specy)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz 40 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-35)
Motherboard
MSI B150M BAZOOKA (MS-7982) (U3E1) 35 °C
Graphics
VA2465 SERIES| (1920x1080@59Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (ASUStek Computer Inc) 34 °C
Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) 32 °C
3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 (SATA ) 38 °C
931GB Seagate ST31000528AS (SATA ) 35 °C
57GB Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device (USB )

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have an i7 8700k that’s functional but seems to be on the tail end of being a capable work/gaming machine. I’m gonna extend its life as part of a proxmox cluster but now am thinking about a complete replacement, minus the 3080 I’ll harvest from the PC.

I live in the US about three hours from a micro center.

1440p at 144

I’d like to be able to run Phantom Liberty very well but will also probably run VMs and such for work.

How’s this look in the general direction of spending $1,000 or so without a video card update?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($239.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($122.23 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X PLUS OC GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR 10 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case ($158.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1129.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-17 11:36 EDT-0400

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

I live in the US about three hours from a micro center.

There’s a Microcenter bundle linked up thread for CPU, motherboard, and RAM. Like $450 total for the set. Compare to the amount you’re spending in your list and see if it’s worth the three hours each way.

Edit: here’s the link. It’s AMD rather than Intel, but that matters less nowadays than it used to.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 17, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Been quite awhile since I last built a PC, I need a replacement for my home theater/gaming setup. Last time I used a bigass nofan passive cooler, and just a few additional fans to power up when gaming.

Seems like there are very few choices now for that, I'm only seeing a noctua NH-P1. Are decent fans really that quiet now? The case will sit just a few feet from my head, and I'll use it about 60% of the time for movies, so....

This is what I'm eyeballing right now btw (I should look at microcenter bundles huh, only about half hour drive).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-P1 Fanless CPU Cooler ($109.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M K Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Zenith Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory ($73.97 @ Newegg)
Storage: Silicon Power A60 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($65.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Asus Prime AP201 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($66.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1043.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-17 14:28 EDT-0400

Grundulum posted:

There’s a Microcenter bundle linked up thread for CPU, motherboard, and RAM. Like $450 total for the set. Compare to the amount you’re spending in your list and see if it’s worth the three hours each way.

Edit: here’s the link. It’s AMD rather than Intel, but that matters less nowadays than it used to.

Ahh man, this is pretty good too, but full size motherboard eh. Almost tempted to just get the bigass case, but I do like to have it on a shelf. But they do have a deal with just the 7700X and ram for pretty much what I have down for a 7600 and shittier ram.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 17, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You do not need a passive cooler for quiet operation these days. A case with lots of mesh and several fans that spin very slowly will cool things quite well while still being extremely quiet. I'd just get a big chonker heatsink with fans like the Noctua NH-D15, DeepCool AK620, or Thermalright Peerless Assassin, and have the fans spin at 30% speed if you really want to be obsessive about silence. That graphics card will probably be louder than any other fan in your system anyway.

edit: If you do go with a 7700X, I'd set it to Eco mode in the bios if you really value quiet operation. That CPU can run pretty hot at its stock settings. Eco mode limits the TDP to 65W, which doesn't sacrifice nearly as much performance as you'd think.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 17, 2023

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Yudo posted:

I'm not an expert on dev stuff, but the i9 I think is worth it for that use case. I do some ml on cpu and the more cores the merrier. However, you may need a better cooler as the i9 is a thirsty chip and without thermal headroom, a lot of perfomance gets left on the table. You should consider the price of a new cooler (maybe an AIO as 250w is alot for air) as you evaluate the value of bundles.

Thanks so much for the reply

Anyone recommend a heatsink or AIO that’s available at microcenter, can dissipate the 250W and that they like? I can certainly just look and pick one, but if others have had bad/good experiences I’d like to hear them

Also I’ll mention that I’m not too concerned with silence/quiet… I live in Texas and with the network gear, homelab of old laptops and the A/C kicking on every 30 minutes I realized it was a losing battle

namlosh fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 17, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Grundulum posted:

Ah bummer, it’s sold out at the store closest to me, but that deal was tempting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Professional tea leaf readers, your time has come. What year (and time of year for extra bonus points) should i expect to see AMD RX 8000 GPUs and R5/7 9000 CPUS? Hoping maybe my i7 8700 won’t get murdered by starfield, and hoping my 3070 won’t choke on 8GB VRAM.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

namlosh posted:

Thanks so much for the reply

Anyone recommend a heatsink or AIO that’s available at microcenter, can dissipate the 250W and that they like? I can certainly just look and pick one, but if others have had bad/good experiences I’d like to hear them

Also I’ll mention that I’m not too concerned with silence/quiet… I live in Texas and with the network gear, homelab of old laptops and the A/C kicking on every 30 minutes I realized it was a losing battle

I have the 12900k in one build and an arctic liquid freezer 2 360. At full blast it can still hit mid 90s because it's pumping out 250+ W, but at idle it actually sips power pretty nice (like <20W idle)

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Well Played Mauer posted:

Ah bummer, it’s sold out at the store closest to me, but that deal was tempting.

In my case, it was sold out at my MC too, but it came back in stock after about a week or two.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Shipon posted:

I have the 12900k in one build and an arctic liquid freezer 2 360. At full blast it can still hit mid 90s because it's pumping out 250+ W, but at idle it actually sips power pretty nice (like <20W idle)

Ok cool! Looks great! I do have some experience 2 machines ago with water cooling so maybe it’s time to go back into it, lol

Last question i swear: what’s the thread consensus on those kryonaut graphene sheets? Are they a no brainer as long as I don’t plan to remove the heatsink from the cpu for years and years after I use it? The GN and Derbauer recent video makes it seem like there’s no reason to use paste anymore unless you are going to be taking it apart all the time

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Alrighty went with the Lian Li III case.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You do not need a passive cooler for quiet operation these days. A case with lots of mesh and several fans that spin very slowly will cool things quite well while still being extremely quiet. I'd just get a big chonker heatsink with fans like the Noctua NH-D15, DeepCool AK620, or Thermalright Peerless Assassin, and have the fans spin at 30% speed if you really want to be obsessive about silence. That graphics card will probably be louder than any other fan in your system anyway.

edit: If you do go with a 7700X, I'd set it to Eco mode in the bios if you really value quiet operation. That CPU can run pretty hot at its stock settings. Eco mode limits the TDP to 65W, which doesn't sacrifice nearly as much performance as you'd think.

I can confirm.

I have our GPUs turn their fans off at 55C and case fans settle in at around 30%.

You basically cant even tell if it is on without looking at it.

Some other advice: I use a setting on the motherboard to delay speeding up the CPU fan until the CPU is hot for 10 seconds. this way if I’m loading websites or launching programs none of the fans speed up until I’m doing something stressful.

I also have all of the case fans listen to the GPU temperature so outside of gaming they never speed up.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

buglord posted:

Professional tea leaf readers, your time has come. What year (and time of year for extra bonus points) should i expect to see AMD RX 8000 GPUs and R5/7 9000 CPUS? Hoping maybe my i7 8700 won’t get murdered by starfield, and hoping my 3070 won’t choke on 8GB VRAM.

*Wild guessing*:

These chips are all on new advanced nodes. Rumor is that TSMC 3nm is on track in terms of yields, but then that is one of the most closely guarded secrets in the semiconductor industry and bullshit abounds.

New AMD cpus: summer/fall 2024. Everything Zen 5 has been positive.

AMD GPUs: much harder to anticipate. The AI boom is going to pull a lot of wafers away from consumer chips. There is still a huge inventory of RDNA2 and rdna3 (amd ordered something like 4x 7900xt gpus to 7900xtx gpus, which due to their greed = lol). I'm going with q1 2025 for mass availability, with very high end skus q4 2024 at the earliest. Same for Nvidia.

Again, all of the above is speculation of the worst type. More's Law is Dead and Red Gaming Tech on youtube deal in these sort of leaks if you want a better oracle.

ssds are historically inexpensive right now, so don't wait on storage should you need more.

namlosh posted:

Ok cool! Looks great! I do have some experience 2 machines ago with water cooling so maybe it’s time to go back into it, lol

Last question i swear: what’s the thread consensus on those kryonaut graphene sheets? Are they a no brainer as long as I don’t plan to remove the heatsink from the cpu for years and years after I use it? The GN and Derbauer recent video makes it seem like there’s no reason to use paste anymore unless you are going to be taking it apart all the time

I don't know what the thread consensus is, but your new cooler will likely come with free paste. Free is a very good reason to to stick with goop.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

As far as I can tell (i.e. don't take this as a "consensus") the pads are easier to work with, which is one of those "that's nice but it doesn't really solve a problem anyone has" things, and they tend to run slightly warmer than paste. They aren't typically reusable more than like once or twice, so unless you're seriously concerned about your ability to apply a correct amount of paste I don't really see the point. And as Yudo says pretty much every cooler that isn't some ultra-budget thing will come with "good enough" paste anyway.

GN's had other videos about these things in the past that roughly concluded "we aren't sure who these are for"; just that derbauer actually sells these things so steve can't really poo poo on them in front of him.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The points they made about directionality of the graphite influencing heat distribution and performance were super interesting and I'd love to see some real-world tests with these new pads vs paste and liquid metal, but I also wouldn't pay twenty bucks for a single-use application of any thermal interface unless I was involved in competitive overclocking or something

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zen 5 CPUs (Ryzen 8000) are rumored to be arriving Q1 2024, and RDNA4 (Radeon 8000) have no rumored arrival date, but Q3 or Q4 2024 seem likely to me.

Yudo posted:

Again, all of the above is speculation of the worst type. More's Law is Dead and Red Gaming Tech on youtube deal in these sort of leaks if you want a better oracle.

lmao, no, do not do this. they are not reliable, especially not RGT.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Zen 5 CPUs (Ryzen 8000) are rumored to be arriving Q1 2024, and RDNA4 (Radeon 8000) have no rumored arrival date, but Q3 or Q4 2024 seem likely to me.

I don't think they are reliable per se, but this is all they pay attention to. We are all speculating. May well sift through the poo poo to find some gold.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think the re-usable thermal pads are cool because they cut down on waste. Not by much lol but it’s a philosophy that I wish was applied more often in hardware.

E-waste recycling helps but not throwing stuff out would help more.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Yeah I know of those other sites, but I can only follow so many rumor sites actively (macrumors my beloved). Looks like I'll probably pounce when Zen 5 releases and see if the hypothetical 8 core R7 8700 is a big enough upgrade over my i7 8700 and see how it compares to the then older 7800X3D. And hopefully by that point AM5 ITX boards have come down in price too.If I post in this thread about my shiny new CPU before this period, you'll know I failed the mission of waiting.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

My mum's looking to get a new PC. I've volunteered to build it for her to save her some money.

• What country are you in? UK
  • Do you live near Microcenter? No
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming, she mainly plays MMORPGs
  • What's your budget? £1800 tops, but cheaper preferably
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 3440x1440 @ 144Hz. High settings will be fine rather than ultra. I seriously doubt she gives a poo poo about ray tracing (probably wouldn't notice if it was turned on)

She's picked out this pre-built as being something she's interested in, I'll list the specs below so people don't have to click through to the site:

• 7800X3D w/ AIO cooler
  • 4070Ti
  • 32GB DDR5 5600
  • B650 Motherboard
  • 1TB NVMe drive
  • 850W PSU

I can't do an exact comparison as the site doesn't list the make/model of any of the parts (other than I think the GPU is Zotac branded) however filling in the gaps as best I can on pcpartspicker I can get the price down to about £1800 (from £2150). What I want to know is is there a better setup from a cost/performance perspective? The computer seems a little overkill to me based on her use case, she may be trying to future-proof (she's recently retired and my dad is retiring soon so I think she's thinking that this might be the last chance where she has the money to buy something decent). I'm fine to replace components as I see fit but one thing she's told me is that she does specifically want an Nvidia GPU, not entirely sure why but I suppose DLSS would potentially extend the life of the card if she's not going to be upgrading it in the next 5+ years.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dang your mum is gonna put this thread to shame

Is there a decent PC shop nearby? If she isn't super technical it might save her (and by extension you) some grey hairs by buying it from a local - that way returns are easy and if there's a problem she can just bring it in to them.

It'll probably be slightly less powerful for the same price but seeing as budget isn't a concern, I'd go for the option that provides the best customer service.

E: the prebuilt looks like it has kinda crap RAM compared to everything else, I think AMD cpus like fast RAM for reasons I don't entirely understand so its weird to pair that with the top-of-the-line gaming cpu

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 18, 2023

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah got drat I do tech stuff for a living and even I’m not on a 40-series card yet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

moms are tough in 3DMark

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
so does anyone else have the thing where the vga error light will turn on and stay on on your motherboard if you boot the pc with the monitor turned off? it still boots just fine into windows without a problem but the light stays on even after turning on the monitor, until a reboot.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Fragrag posted:

I kitted out this build last night and I'm going to need a sanity check. I work with VR and Unreal Engine 5 for my job. While I don't do that at home, I do sometimes like to dive into Unreal Engine 5 or Blender in my free time. I'd also like to occasionally bring a VR headset home and do some "research" too.

I'll probably switch the case out with a Meshify 2 Compact. For some reason my vendor's configurator does not include it but I'll have to double check the GPU and cooler clearance first.
I'll be transferring a 2.5″ SSD from my old computer to the new one so the case should support that.

I'm also thinking of boosting the PSU to 850W to get a bit more headroom.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X, 4,5 GHz (5,4 GHz Turbo Boost) socket AM5 processor
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti OC 12GB
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B650M-PLUS, socket AM5
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Lite Black TG Light Tint Tower
RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR5-5600 Kit
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO, 1 TB SSD
PSU: NZXT C750 80+ Gold 750W ATX voeding

Several months on and I still haven't pulled the trigger. It did allow me to go for a higher tier of items as it's become clear that I'll be working a lot more in VR and Virtual Production and I could use the extra grunt.

Are there any red flags to the build below. Someone replied that I should check out whether the PSU has ATX 3.0 standard which it does. I'm just not familiar with be quiet! as a PSU vendor, though I've been really happy with their coolers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4080 16GB WINDFORCE
Motherboard: ASRock X670E PG Lightning
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2
RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR5-6400 Kit
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO, 2 TB SSD
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 12M 850W PSU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

change my name posted:

Yeah got drat I do tech stuff for a living and even I’m not on a 40-series card yet

To be fair 40 series cards are not an amazing upgrade from a 30 series if you got one. Except for the 4090 but they're all basically bad value for the performance

I got a 3080 and I'm not even considering a 4090 or anything yet. I wish I had more than 12GB of VRAM but I don't have a huge pile of cash to splash down on something with more VRAM

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 19, 2023

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?

Microcenter: No.

What will I use this for: Gaming, some newer big stuff and indies. Want to try some light art and video editing.

Budget: Around 2000.

Monitor: starting fresh.

Professional work: none, but want to mess with drawing software and maybe blender.

Been reading the thread for a few weeks to get my building knowledge back a bit. This will be my first build in over ten years, I am looking for mid to low-high performance. Will get a windows 11 key off of SA Mart.

I don't have to buy right now, but would like to have a system by the end of August for the new Armored Core game.

I know I want the 13600k processor, and a 3060ti, and from research it seems this msi would suit me, but am open to suggestions on other brands of gpu.

Specific questions for the thread have to do with the motherboard and psu, are these all compatible/do I need to go up or down a step with either? Do I need additional fans for the Lian Li with this setup, and which ones if so? Do I need a mounting kit for the cpu cooler and if so which one?

My last question is about timing. I know ssd's are stupid cheap right now with ram right behind them, if I do wait a month or two would it be prudent to grab those sooner?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($7.65 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($254.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB Video Card ($339.99 @ B&H)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1645.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-19 10:38 EDT-0400

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($164.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($105.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Silicon Power UD85 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($39.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case ($189.00 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1229.82

This seems really good, what did I forget? If I just replace the graphics card in a year or two, this should be good to go, right? I might even upgrade to a i7 at this price.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
For both the previous two builds I'd say you're going too cheap on the GPU - certainly on the first build, just dump the rest of your budget in the best GPU you can get for the money which would be the 4070 or 4070ti. Second poster, again, unless you've specific uses for a better processor the 13600k is more than sufficient for any high resolution gaming and the 3060 will be far and away the bigger bottleneck.

The current gen of graphics cards aren't terrible, they just don't represent as good value as the previous gen was (at RRP anyway), but that doesn't mean it makes sense to buy the cheaper last gen cards while splurging on the rest of the system.

Also fozzy I'm having trouble believing that a $40 PCIe 4 1TB drive isn't going to have some serious compromises to be that cheap.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 19, 2023

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fickle Isthmus posted:

My last question is about timing. I know ssd's are stupid cheap right now with ram right behind them, if I do wait a month or two would it be prudent to grab those sooner?

It’s generally recommended not to buy parts over weeks, unless you have the ability to test the parts as they come in to ensure you’re not getting a defective component. You don’t want to finally get the last piece of your new build, put it together, find out the first piece is DOA, and then discover that the return period ended a few days ago.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Grundulum posted:

It’s generally recommended not to buy parts over weeks, unless you have the ability to test the parts as they come in to ensure you’re not getting a defective component. You don’t want to finally get the last piece of your new build, put it together, find out the first piece is DOA, and then discover that the return period ended a few days ago.

seconded +1 ask me how I know heh

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also fozzy I'm having trouble believing that a $40 PCIe 4 1TB drive isn't going to have some serious compromises to be that cheap.

Yeah, I was thinking that too, I'll upgrade it to something ~$100. Thank you.

e: only $60: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Yudo
May 15, 2003

SSD prices likely will not increase until later this year or q1 2024. There is too much nand in inventory and no one is buying; large production cuts by micron et al. are fairly recent. An $800+ card with 12gb of vram is terrible value. There are some nice deals on RDNA3, RDNA2 and the 4070 out there, that for the latter in particular, makes those cards palatable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I was checking Aliexpress and you can get NVMe SSDs that appear to have fine speed test results, both under random I/O and sequential, for $30/TB all day long now. I'm probably going to pick up a 2TB disk or two and see how they age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yudo posted:

SSD prices likely will not increase until later this year or q1 2024. There is too much nand in inventory and no one is buying; large production cuts by micron et al. are fairly recent. An $800+ card with 12gb of vram is terrible value. There are some nice deals on RDNA3, RDNA2 and the 4070 out there, that for the latter in particular, makes those cards palatable.

I'd wager that we will see a price rebound in the second half of the year. This is not a sustainable situation. Either demand will return, or factories will close/mass layoffs will occur. Either way, the supply gap will narrow.