Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

As long as Ukraine lays down all arms and turns all air defense off we will negotiate without haste

we have some bad news about the patriot's capabilities in passive standby mode, mr president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

we have some bad news about the patriot's capabilities in passive standby mode, mr president

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tai posted:

Still seeing very little of russian footage owning ukraine despite the 160(?) tanks lost now. Usually people back up these claims with evidence...

Gee, it's almost like tankie twitter/telegram is just making poo poo up in hopes gullible idiots believe them

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

zone posted:

Since when did the Flintstones become a belligerent party in this war?

That goes back forever

Syria

There should be sandbags in there too, though.

Bonus nightshift video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blaedMu7eaI

Edit: have some improvised Sherman armor. Including concrete. https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2-usa-improvised-armor-on-m4-shermans-in-the-pto/

That being said, that was the Pacific Theatre where the Japanese didn’t have big anti=tank shells.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 17, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I am actually surprised tbh that Ukriane hasn't had some form of rear end handed to them on at least one of the fronts they are attacking.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
They are only delivering rear end.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Karate Bastard posted:

They are only delivering rear end.

I dunno. It's a slow start. If they do start going wild and russian front collapses like last year not even the op sec of stuff is going to hold and you'll see lots of footage.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Meant they are handing out rear end, not doing pick ups. Shan't have opinions on delivery times. Russia go home.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

I am actually surprised tbh that Ukriane hasn't had some form of rear end handed to them on at least one of the fronts they are attacking.

Info blackout cuts both ways for losses and victories, and Russia is always going to say Ukraine lost 48 Leopards and a squadron of x-wings so that's pointless to even consider

Also, people are incredibly spoiled by the offensives last fall. That was a massive aberration and is so far out of the norm that it really set a bad set of expectations for further offensives. As bad as Russia is, they got pantsed last time and that's going to happen on this offensive. It's going to be slogging and a lot slower, barring some sort of miraculous event. It's still possible of course, but everyone needs to temper their expectations; occupying Melitopol on this offensive would be an outstanding outcome and will be a judge of what it's likely to be able to do. If Ukraine can't take Melitopol, they can't take Mariupol and can't cut the land bridge to Crimea. It will take time and a lot of fighting to know anything useful.

The key thing to watch for in this offensive is Russian morale. We've already seen video footage of blocking units shooting down Russians running away. Whether or not that is widespread or an isolated incident (personally I lean towards that being an isolated incident. We just really do not know enough of anything concrete to extrapolate out the offensive's success or failure; if we wanna write fanfiction though i've got some great ideas for anime zelenskyy

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 18, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Drone_Fragger posted:

Stones are hard so will deflect apdfs rounds and stop them hitting well, and the (weighty) stones being scattered and smashed will waste a huge amount of kinetic energy. It also spaces out the detonation of HEAT rounds, and I suspect the mass of the stones will mean two-stage heat rounds won't be as effective - They rely on the first explosion pre-detonating the tanks ERA and busting it's spaced slat armour, and the stones won't move as much due to their mass.

Like it's still dogshit, but that's at least going to marginally more effective than the cope of random tree trunks, bits of scrap or nets that's been fitted previously.

I think this overstates the case. it isn't nothing but it isn't much. stone isn't used in vehicle armor for a reason.
composite armors do sometimes use ceramics to absorb energy by fracturing but that's ceramics, stone just isn't as hard to shatter (I used to do it as a kid!). I'm pretty sure tandem warhead will still set off ERA even if it goes through a rock first.
I'm sure these are better (for very low values of better) than nets at stopping AP rounds but the nets are really for stopping grenades and drones, which they can.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lmao jackson hinkle has gone certifiably insane. he blocked me on twitter a long time ago and he was bad back then but lmao this has to be a bit right?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

lmao jackson hinkle has gone certifiably insane. he blocked me on twitter a long time ago and he was bad back then but lmao this has to be a bit right?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Something to notice is the Kherson and Kharkov offensives were far more brute force in terms of their attack. The newest offensive against melitpol is far more meticulous in its approach. Because it has to be, even if the Russians are just retreating as soon as the party starts. Russia lacks ATGMs compared to the number that Ukraine was fielding at the beginning of the war which stunted the tank advances that Russia conducted.

So with those things in mind, while Ukraine can flex maneuverability they need to be really serious about advances and do so in a manner that is tactically superior to what they did before. I would surmise that in this we will see the counteroffensive last a few months instead of a few weeks like last time.

Partially because kherson and Kharkiv were definitely not War ending victories by themselves. We are kind of at the end stage of this war or the possible end stage depending on what occurs in the counter offensive if melitpol is taken it will basically and permanently cripple the Russian force. As it is the supply hub of the entire occupation. So losing it would be a strategic collapse. The lines would no longer be able to protect themselves and Hasty defenses will not be able to be erected at the speed of which Ukraine can advance. One city can change the entire face of the war and determine the future of Ukraines reconquest of Crimea.

It's going to be slow and low information for a while but keep track of Beryansk. 20 helis were just reallocated to beryansk to shore up the CAS capabilities of the southern front. Kinda tells you what the Russians expect to happen next.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Something to notice is the Kherson and Kharkov offensives were far more brute force in terms of their attack. The newest offensive against melitpol is far more meticulous in its approach. Because it has to be, even if the Russians are just retreating as soon as the party starts. Russia lacks ATGMs compared to the number that Ukraine was fielding at the beginning of the war which stunted the tank advances that Russia conducted.

So with those things in mind, while Ukraine can flex maneuverability they need to be really serious about advances and do so in a manner that is tactically superior to what they did before. I would surmise that in this we will see the counteroffensive last a few months instead of a few weeks like last time.

Partially because kherson and Kharkiv were definitely not War ending victories by themselves. We are kind of at the end stage of this war or the possible end stage depending on what occurs in the counter offensive if melitpol is taken it will basically and permanently cripple the Russian force. As it is the supply hub of the entire occupation. So losing it would be a strategic collapse. The lines would no longer be able to protect themselves and Hasty defenses will not be able to be erected at the speed of which Ukraine can advance. One city can change the entire face of the war and determine the future of Ukraines reconquest of Crimea.

It's going to be slow and low information for a while but keep track of Beryansk. 20 helis were just reallocated to beryansk to shore up the CAS capabilities of the southern front. Kinda tells you what the Russians expect to happen next.

Speaking of helos, Ukraine claims to have shot down another near Robotyne today, making it 4 Ka-52s lost in the last five days. Or, already a fifth of what was available.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
So what the hell was with South Africa bringing a huge spec-ops team and a mountain of guns with the president to Ukraine? Like I get the impression is was for nothing good and that's why Poland hosed with them over it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Kchama posted:

So what the hell was with South Africa bringing a huge spec-ops team and a mountain of guns with the president to Ukraine? Like I get the impression is was for nothing good and that's why Poland hosed with them over it.

"Security detail and associated equipment"

When the US president travels abroad there's an associated military cargo plane that comes too and transports all of that stuff, including the presidential convoy vehicles. For reference, the US details include the personal secret service detail as well as other Secret Service teams whose job it is to secure a perimeter around the president, it leads to things like sniper teams being posted and all kinds of Clancy poo poo.

It's funny more because it was clearly Poland just loving with South Africa for being Putin's stooges rather than anything real, solely because heads of state routinely travel with massive amounts of security and associated equipment and the South African president's stuff was almost certainly routine to the relevant Polish authorities.

They just wanted to dick around with a vatnik, more or less.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

"Security detail and associated equipment"

When the US president travels abroad there's an associated military cargo plane that comes too and transports all of that stuff, including the presidential convoy vehicles. For reference, the US details include the personal secret service detail as well as other Secret Service teams whose job it is to secure a perimeter around the president, it leads to things like sniper teams being posted and all kinds of Clancy poo poo.

It's funny more because it was clearly Poland just loving with South Africa for being Putin's stooges rather than anything real, solely because heads of state routinely travel with massive amounts of security and associated equipment and the South African president's stuff was almost certainly routine to the relevant Polish authorities.

They just wanted to dick around with a vatnik, more or less.

gotta say, that owns, if just a little

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

In WW2, soldiers of every nation tried to come up with solutions to add extra armor to their vehicles in the form of slapping spare tracks, logs, sandbags, etc.. Most of the measures didn't really work, and added extra strain onto the powertrains. Some nations like US and Germany allowed the practice if it gave the crews more confidence.

George Patton specifically hated the practice and there are pictures of him admonishing crews for putting sandbags on their tanks. He did approve of programs that welded bits of salvaged armor onto tanks, as these applique armor bits were supposedly tested and showed that they provided adequate extra protection. German units used bits of skirt and extra armor to counter anti-tank rifles. These became parts of official upgrade packages and were used up until the end of the war. Soviet units had their famous "bedspring" screens that were designed to counter early HEAT rounds, but I never looked into how effective those were.

I can't talk too specifically about my credentials, but I'll say that modern anti-tank rounds are not stupid enough to be deterred by measures like this.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that the practice continues to this day. American units in Iraq specifically came up with proactive (extra firepower) and reactive measures (lining their vehicles with salvaged materials) to compensate for their vehicles having inadequate protection. Famously, Phillipine soldiers also nailed wood to their vehicles for use against guerillas. But something like this will not deter a modern chemical or kinetic penetrator beyond something like old RPG-7 or western AT-series rockets.

I'm pretty sure it was in our own GIP subforum I recall a story out of Iraq where guys put claymore mines on the front of their humvee as a redneck hackjob explosive reactive armor/crowd clearer. Dummies all got their asses chewed out because if it had actually gone off it would have turned all the occupants of the vehicle into chunky salsa because while yeah, MOST of the damage goes in front of the claymore, you still need to consider SOME backblast.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm pretty sure it was in our own GIP subforum I recall a story out of Iraq where guys put claymore mines on the front of their humvee as a redneck hackjob explosive reactive armor/crowd clearer. Dummies all got their asses chewed out because if it had actually gone off it would have turned all the occupants of the vehicle into chunky salsa because while yeah, MOST of the damage goes in front of the claymore, you still need to consider SOME backblast.

This was a protier strat in Battlefield 2142

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

gotta say, that owns, if just a little

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1669988917913763842
Blow up an alleged Bradley, get monopoly money in return, I see nothing wrong with this

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
certified Cringe (TM)

https://www.hs.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000009662881.html

quote:

Russian media: Alcohol consumption among the Kremlin's elite has increased sharply since Putin's arrest warrant was issued in the spring

The increase in alcohol consumption by Russia's economic and political elite represents a broader, parallel trend among the people.

THE KREMLIN'S elite have fallen into increasingly serious alcohol abuse as Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine puts increasing pressure on them, reports the independent Russian online media Vorstka .

Its anonymous sources close to the Kremlin tell of extensive and deepening alcohol use among prominent government and business leaders.

According to an extensive article published by Vorstka, the situation has worsened especially since March, when the International Criminal Court (ICC) said it was preparing two war crimes charges against Russia and issued an arrest warrant for President Vladimir Putin .

Ukraine's counterattack has also pressured many in the Kremlin to open the bottle cap.

THE ALCOHOL LIMIT FOR ONE person has been increased from one bottle to two at official state celebrations organized by the Kremlin, a political strategist with connections to the Kremlin tells Vorstka.

"Not all persons belonging to the presidential administration started their day with a glass of vodka. Now I know more and more people are doing this. And some start their day with a bottle instead of a glass," says another unnamed source.

Many officials, politicians and governors are late for more and more meetings, skip them or arrive drunk. According to the article, some use illegal drugs in addition to alcohol.

ONE OF the sources interviewed by Vorstka describes a typical day for the governor of a region in central Russia. According to the interviewee, the governor was considered an alcoholic even before the latest twists and turns of the war, but now he has "completely messed up".

The days begin with the governor's subordinates having to look for this in their hands wherever the evening happened to end. An employee has even been appointed exclusively for this task.

Next, the governor is transported to the workplace if his presence is needed. Throughout the working day, the governor drinks "only cognac". He attends several meetings, but he sits quietly "like a snowman".

The governor in question usually goes to a local restaurant or spa after lunch, where the late evening begins again.

ACCORDING TO VORSTKA, THE FAVORITE DRINKS OF THE KREMLIN party crowd have included cognac, champagne and wine. Nowadays, hard liquors have also been added to the list. According to the article, the elite drink "a lot and all mixed up".

A drink order from a catering company serving the Kremlin included vodka imported from abroad for five million rubles, or more than 50 thousand euros at the current exchange rate, Vorstka says.

This means that Putin's speeches last summer, in which he urged both the elite and the people to moderate their drinking, have been ignored by the Kremlin elite. At the time, the Russian news media Meduza reported on Putin's hints to curb alcohol consumption .

Putin himself is known for at least some degree of abstinence from alcohol.

THE INCREASE IN ELITE alcohol consumption represents a broader trend in Russia.

The state regulatory agency for alcohol sales, Rosalkogolregulirovanie, said at the beginning of June that the production of mild alcoholic beverages has increased by 23 percent this year.

At the same time, the demand for strong alcoholic beverages has decreased. However, according to the expert interviewed by Vorstka, this is probably due to the fact that people can no longer afford to spend as much money on booze. Instead, many have started cooking pontika.

According to Vorstka, the Russian Ministry of Health has planned to respond to the increase in alcohol consumption with new restrictive measures, such as raising the age limit for alcoholic beverages to 21 from the current 18 and prohibiting the sale of alcoholic beverages between eight in the evening and eleven in the morning.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

French Ambassador Maurice Paleologue, 14 January 1917 posted:

I am obliged to report that, at the present moment, the Russian Empire is run by lunatics.

155th Naval Infantry Brigade,WW2 posted:

“This isn’t war,” Mikhail said, struggling to speak through heavy, liquid breaths. “It’s the destruction of the Russian people by their own commanders.”

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone please remind me, are you russian/in russia? I don't remember

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

zone please remind me, are you russian/in russia? I don't remember

I live in India.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

I live in India.

Gotcha! If you're open to it. would love to talk to you some time about indian politics and political history, has been an area of interest for me for a while and i don't know nearly enough about it as i'd like.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

Gotcha! If you're open to it. would love to talk to you some time about indian politics and political history, has been an area of interest for me for a while and i don't know nearly enough about it as i'd like.

Any time.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/DerAktenfresser/status/1669970899284443137?s=20

I'm not a weapons knower, but even I can tell that's not a Bradley.

Someone named it Bradley, it counts :lol:

Russian Blue Laws, but they're daily :psyduck:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

zone posted:

Any time.

I would appreciate an effortpost on any aspect of Indian politics you care to make. I watched this recently and it's only whetted my appetite. I'd be interested in any critique on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CMVbASedPk

Great channel btw, they're paired with The Operations Room. Ops breaks down what happened, and the Intel Channel goes into the whys.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

HonorableTB posted:

the complaint is russia is getting its poo poo kicked in and they dont like it

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/05/29/two-weeks-at-the-front-in-ukraine

Two Weeks at the Front in Ukraine, a good article.

nthing that this is required reading, drat

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mllaneza posted:

I would appreciate an effortpost on any aspect of Indian politics you care to make. I watched this recently and it's only whetted my appetite. I'd be interested in any critique on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CMVbASedPk

Great channel btw, they're paired with The Operations Room. Ops breaks down what happened, and the Intel Channel goes into the whys.

Other posters would probably do better at politics effortposting than I when it comes to the tangle of local and loco-regional politics here! But I'll do my best if we're discussing it somewhere else, because we'd be going off topic. As far as the video is concerned they more or less have everything right in the bullet point format. For the sake of brevity there's some stuff that got cut out, like the American carrier incident, but otherwise it's pretty solidly done, especially speaking of the perspective of all parties involved in the conflict.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1670286580546777089
An unfortunate smoking accident appears to have happened in occupied Kherson.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1670135688098922497
"We never refused negotiations, as long as Ukraine hands over all the territory we invaded and more to us." gently caress off baldy.

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617?lang=en

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Imagine if Ukraine had top of the line high-tech Japanese toilets when Russia invaded.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*turns on rocket mode*

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2023/06/widespread-use-torture-russian-military-ukraine-appears-deliberate-un-expert

Torture bad.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

But but but azov

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What does TASS mean? I mean I understand rear end, but what does the T stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

What does TASS mean? I mean I understand rear end, but what does the T stand for?

Turd