Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's because SU is an RNG mode where you can push a lot through if you're doing well with buffs. Not that I care about MoC much either, but SU performance feels like a meaningless metric to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Walla posted:

Is it though? Every time I bring up various characters and teams the discussion inevitably shifts to endgame MoC content. Which is understandable, it's just not the content I engage in.

You love to declare x characters are trash, yet

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i have lots of fun in SU

I don't find MoC particularly engaging

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It's just because any discussion on character strength outside of MoC is kinda irrelevant. It's an easy game to the point where most of us are auto battling everything else (even SU except the 2nd/last bosses) and even a bit more investment will overpower any character differences anyway

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Walla posted:

Is it though? Every time I bring up various characters and teams the discussion inevitably shifts to endgame MoC content. Which is understandable, it's just not the content I engage in.

People usually mention it since is the only content were having enough dps actually maters. The rest of the game is designed to be easily clearable with the f2p squad. Overworld squad building is about just having fun or optimizing auto clears.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zenostein posted:

It'd be nice if it was every 25% or something, even though that would probably be slightly broken against anything that isn't a boss.

The game does have a few mechanics where it works differently on bosses. Like Himeko for example gets more stacks for weakness breaking bosses. Herta probably could have used that in her kit, but... she doesn't.

haypliss posted:

It's because SU is an RNG mode where you can push a lot through if you're doing well with buffs. Not that I care about MoC much either, but SU performance feels like a meaningless metric to me.

After a certain point SU is so trivial that you'll win regardless of RNG.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

acumen posted:

It's just because any discussion on character strength outside of MoC is kinda irrelevant. It's an easy game to the point where most of us are auto battling everything else (even SU except the 2nd/last bosses) and even a bit more investment will overpower any character differences anyway

To be fair, you can absolutely auto even the last boss with decent relics.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Walla posted:

It's because that's the only hard content right now, you can just slam SU with your main squad until you RNG through it

Everything else, like overworld or calyxes, isn't part of the convo when rating a character because you can do it with basically anyone

E: sorry didn't see new page with answers already provided

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

All that stuff about MoC and that vs SU makes sense. I guess I just don't really think about MoC when posting because I've pretty much have hit a wall on Forgotten Hall until I get better traces and gear.

Hell, right now Cocolia is kicking my rear end in 6-1 and I'm pretty sure it's because of overall gear and traces. But I cleared 3-2 with relative ease and that requires a similar character level.

Tae posted:

You love to declare x characters are trash, yet

?

If you're talking about my post about Dreamy's post about Herta, it's because I see those characters as completely viable against most content the same way she does. When I say trash characters, it really should be in quotes. There's not a single character I've used or posted about that I think is bad. Otherwise I'm not sure what you're pointing out.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
SU had it charm when it was about pushing underdeveloped squads against bosses we didn't know using tools we didn't understand. Now most people have figured out their own easy path to victory so it just a farming routine.

It would be nice if later on they regularly shake it up like they do with ER mode in honkai impact, as long they don't make it as optimized around full build chars as that one.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

If you don't mind some Youtube Enthusiasm™ Volkin also experimented with built Herta (the gimmick of the account he's playing on is that he only uses 4* E0 characters) and saw some success on frost-vulnerable enemies. He was also on the standard focus of trying to make things hit as hard as possible, but you can see both the positives of what the character can do when you give her a full suite of +12-15 relics and the limitations (even in optimal cases with everything set up, full combos were still doing significantly less damage than her peers would do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9JAZTrcOKk

At the end of the day the game is about doing cool poo poo with characters that make you happy, eventually we'll be autoing MOC with E6S5 DPS that one-round everything.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

AParadox posted:

SU had it charm when it was about pushing underdeveloped squads against bosses we didn't know using tools we didn't understand. Now most people have figured out their own easy path to victory so it just a farming routine.

It would be nice if later on they regularly shake it up like they do with ER mode in honkai impact, as long they don't make it as optimized around full build chars as that one.

I still like SU but yeah it was much more challenging and satisfying around tb30-40 when you're 10 levels lower than the boss and not all the blessings/curios were available. Even with only 2/4 of my team at 80 I'm stomping the tier that just unlocked at tb60.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

wodin posted:

If you don't mind some Youtube Enthusiasm™ Volkin also experimented with built Herta (the gimmick of the account he's playing on is that he only uses 4* E0 characters) and saw some success on frost-vulnerable enemies. He was also on the standard focus of trying to make things hit as hard as possible, but you can see both the positives of what the character can do when you give her a full suite of +12-15 relics and the limitations (even in optimal cases with everything set up, full combos were still doing significantly less damage than her peers would do).

At the end of the day the game is about doing cool poo poo with characters that make you happy, eventually we'll be autoing MOC with E6S5 DPS that one-round everything.

time to twirl bitch

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

wodin posted:

Thanks for this. I look forward to watching it later.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

wodin posted:

If Genshin is anything to go by, you will probably never be able to auto MoC.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Genshin actually pissed me off with how much it tried to keep its MoC equivalent challenging for long-term players. The enemies change every cycle so we will never outlevel them, they'll just keep making higher level enemies with more annoying abilities and more HP.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I know they keep the lower floors easy enough despite that, but stuff like those Consecrated Beasts were enough of a breaking point I just stopped trying, yeah. Hopefully MoC can avoid being so demoralizing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

But the game gives you all (most?) of hertas cons so keeping her at e0 even for a freebie guide is weird imo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You get up to E3 with Herta for free. E4 through E6 are gacha.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

memory of chaos's stats will probably also keep going up but unlike genshin they cant make a boss that goes underground and unhittable for 45 seconds randomly

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I bet they could if they tried.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

You get up to E3 with Herta for free. E4 through E6 are gacha.

poo poo I've gachad a lot of hertas apparently!

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

memory of chaos's stats will probably also keep going up but unlike genshin they cant make a boss that goes underground and unhittable for 45 seconds randomly

My first encounter with SU Gepard group shield kinda felt like that tbh.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Clarste posted:

Genshin actually pissed me off with how much it tried to keep its MoC equivalent challenging for long-term players. The enemies change every cycle so we will never outlevel them, they'll just keep making higher level enemies with more annoying abilities and more HP.

I kept up with Spiral Abyss in Genshin way longer than I probably should have because of Mihoyo's obsessive need to keep floor 12 completely agonizing but eventually I just stopped and my engagement with the game got a lot better as a result. The rewards you give up aren't really that much in the long term.

At the end of the day this one specific piece of content lets the mask slip a bit too far for my tastes where it's less about challenging you to complete difficult content with the bench you have, and more about subtle pressure to roll (and spend money) on new meta characters to be remotely successful. I haven't got deep enough into MoC to see if it's going to fall into the same patterns but I expect that it eventually will, and I'll drop it just as fast if the scaling challenges outpace my ability to grab new characters through f2p.

Honestly one of the reasons I'm taking more to Star Rail endgame at the moment is that simulated universe fills a niche of providing a proving grounds for endgame teams without being quite as strict and punishing as MoC and as such I find it a lot more enjoyable.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

At the very least they're already tailoring the MoC bonus effects to the banner 5 stars. In the first patch cycle it was "give a Hunt or Erudition character an immediate turn with a damage boost" which was obviously aimed at Seele and Jing Yuan, and this cycle it's a bonus for applying up to 5 status effects, which is obviously aimed at Silver Wolf.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The Hunt/Erudition one was at least nice and universal, this current one does feel a bit too SW tuned considering she can singlehandedly max it vs other Nihility characters being much more limited in number of debuffs they can apply.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

regin is obnoxious and I want to fire him out of an airlock

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
They also swapped out the MoC room 6 boss with a unique one I hadn't seen before, A deer who summons twigs because, I don't know, nature? Let me tell you this guy really loves to summon twigs. I got 2 stars, I couldn't see getting 3 stars on this guy with a whole pack of 80s.

I guess some of that is the bonus sucks cultivated balls this week. Generally MoC is a go for the jugular contest and taking like 2-3 turns to charge up a 20% damage reduction is about as lame as it gets.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Meowywitch posted:

You just don't understand true science :colbert:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

i'll take him over the stalker actress lady or the jerk who keeps mind-wiping the android after i teach her the joys of being human

quitting your job to watch bad tv is exactly what humanity is all about, thank you very much

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

i'll take him over the stalker actress lady or the jerk who keeps mind-wiping the android after i teach her the joys of being human

quitting your job to watch bad tv is exactly what humanity is all about, thank you very much

Sheila owns, I'm going to steal her and have her be my head of PR:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I started her daily teaching quests after her normal quest chain and I feel bad that I'm teaching her after that

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Araganzar posted:

They also swapped out the MoC room 6 boss with a unique one I hadn't seen before, A deer who summons twigs because, I don't know, nature? Let me tell you this guy really loves to summon twigs. I got 2 stars, I couldn't see getting 3 stars on this guy with a whole pack of 80s.

I guess some of that is the bonus sucks cultivated balls this week. Generally MoC is a go for the jugular contest and taking like 2-3 turns to charge up a 20% damage reduction is about as lame as it gets.

It is frankly weird that you've gotten so far into MoC without advancing the plot at all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
some people in this thread don't understand the motif of creative types who get obsessive with their competitors and supplant their own identity with a copy of their rival's in a pyschosexual way and it shows

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I can't remember, is the battle pass Erudition lc worth getting? I only have 2 Erudition lcs and I apparently salvaged my copy of Breakfast because I am dumb and bad at this game.

Wait, poo poo. Nevermind.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 18, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Walla posted:

I can't remember, is the battle pass Erudition lc worth getting? I only have 2 Erudition lcs and I apparently salvaged my copy of Breakfast because I am dumb and bad at this game.
erudition is probably the best battle pass light cone yeah

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

wodin posted:

If you don't mind some Youtube Enthusiasm™ Volkin also experimented with built Herta (the gimmick of the account he's playing on is that he only uses 4* E0 characters) and saw some success on frost-vulnerable enemies.

I first found this channel when I was stuck on FH14. Definitely not a Youtuber who knows how to market themselves, but I'm def impressed: https://www.youtube.com/@zmm1337/videos

The guy is currently on MoC5 with a zero-pull account (though not sure if their LCs are no-pull; I think they got some 4* LCs and I don't remember if you can get those for free). They're using Herta mostly because you literally don't have any other free units.

The biggest flex is when they show their giant pile of pull tickets and stellar jade at the end.

Walla posted:

Hell, right now Cocolia is kicking my rear end in 6-1 and I'm pretty sure it's because of overall gear and traces. But I cleared 3-2 with relative ease and that requires a similar character level.

It should be clear-able with garbage gear/traces. I went into 5-1 and 6-1 with zero expectations (I did 'cheat' and looked up boss weaknesses I suppose) and cleared them on my first or second try. Most of traces were level 2 (except for Asta and Serval, on whom I blew a bunch of trace mats in the beginning before I realized you had to farm for them), in +6 to +9 4 star artifacts (with decent main stats), and half my team was 50/50 while the other half was 60/60.

The thing is, it's really the path bonuses carrying you. Your team doesn't really matter that much, though for instance you should bring a team that actually applies DoTs to a Nihility run, of course.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

facepalmolive posted:

(I did 'cheat' and looked up boss weaknesses I suppose)

It's hard to call that cheating when it tells you that on the screen before you start.

facepalmolive posted:

Your team doesn't really matter that much, though for instance you should bring a team that actually applies DoTs to a Nihility run, of course.

Eh. The resonance does enough dots on its own to carry you.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Meowywitch posted:

It'd be fine if it wasn't the mondstadt cathedral design, where you have to teleport over, walk in, walk out, do something meaningless, and then walk back in.

At least he only ever wants you to go to one place, so you don't have to memorize/look up/guess where you need to teleport to, rather than go load outside so the quest marker updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I think the only SU path where you 'have' to pick an appropriate team for is Elation, because unless you get the specific 3* blessing that turns ultimates into follow-ups, it will do literally nothing for most of the cast. Anyone can put out dots from weakness breaks, even without the resonance.