Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the grifters at parler had kanye on the hook at one point, but couldn't reel him in before he self destructed

could've been a huge win for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Tiny Timbs posted:

What appeal does Reddit have in an IPO, anyway? They have failed year after year to demonstrate they can make a profit. 3rd party apps were, by their own admission, too minor to matter to their revenue stream. What’s changing?
Maybe they're banking on someone like Musk to come in with more money than sense, and just have something (or a slice of something) without any real attention or care towards how well it performs. Vanity, potentially.

If I was a little bit rich and wanted to turn that little bit into a lot more, I wouldn't go near Reddit with someone elses' ten-foot pole. If I was stupendously, obscenely rich and wanted a pet project I could screw around with like Musk did with Twitter, I'd probably buy the whole thing out and focus on making the community the best it could be rather than the most profitable. Revert all the API baloney, revert to old.reddit, focus on moderation tools, wipe out bots and shills. Hire Apollo guy, give him an office with big windows and tell him he can record whatever the heck he wants.

Maybe even pay people. Yikes, what a bonkers concept.

Lusty Grundles fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 18, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Maybe they are literally just planning to sell Reddit to Elon and telling him things like "you can control the whole internet bro"

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

deep dish peat moss posted:

Maybe they are literally just planning to sell Reddit to Elon and telling him things like "you can control the whole internet bro"
This is what concerns me. Step one: get close to (and suck up to) Elon.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Lusty Grundles posted:

This is what concerns me. Step one: get close to (and suck up to) Elon.

I see Jefferies' plan now

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
It's all connected :tinfoil:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

good. the sooner everything is run off of one server farm in china and china pulls the plug, the better

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Awkward Davies posted:

True, best is definitely subjective, and depends on the community. That’s what the experience is aiming for though. It’s just a fundamentally different set up than threads of posts like in SA. Who the gently caress knows whether someone said something really helpful on page 500 of a 1000 word thread. That answer is very, very hard to find.

To some extent, yeah. SA's got a more conversational structure, which is great for having conversations but not so much for creating an accessible reference. I definitely get the theory behind why reddit is laid out the way it is, but it undermines its own usefulness. An unreliable sorting mechanism for answer quality is worse in many ways than having no sorting mechanism, and if the best answer shows up deep in a comment chain after some back and forth then it takes a lot of digging to get to and also there's really not a great way to link to it if you need the context of the conversation. (Maybe the 3rd party apps fix this problem, at least, I don't use reddit enough to know.)

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
All the posts I deleted with Power Delete suite have come back. lmao

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The Reddit IPO plans pre-date Musk’s time at twitter, by a while.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
every loving thread

!remindme 2 weeks
u/stabbot
u/savevideo

ugh

thin blue whine posted:

reddit sucks rear end guys

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Hilarious, the comment section is just endless dunking on reddit mods

Kolkhoz
Nov 18, 2004
do you want karate?

feverish and oversexed posted:

who else is back because of it lol

😎

Kolkhoz fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 18, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Toxic Mental posted:

happy licking, everyone

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

welcome back, lowtax is dead

everything else is the same apparently

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Something I appreciate about this place is that most of us have not just been here for a while, but many of us have been online since the 90s, which as a % of the population is becoming alarmingly rare. This is pretty recent history and some of it is already totally lost.

Also we're old people and we want to swap the same old stories to people who affirm them

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

It's kinda funny that the only actual threat the admins have to levy is "we'll get someone else to do this unpaid yet necessary labour using our lovely tools".

It says a lot about the human condition that people are this driven to keep doing such an unpleasant job with no compensation. Is such a thin facade of power really this appealing?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Further Reading posted:

Is such a thin facade of power really this appealing?

I'd say for a lot of people it's all they have that gives them that lovely dopamine

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

losing the plot is integral to any interhuman conflict

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I BLAME THE VOLUNTEERS HOW DARE THEY MAKE MY GOOGLE SEARCHES WORSE loving SELFISH ASSHOLES! Capitalism sure has learned that as long as people aren't inconvenienced they don't give a poo poo. They can do whatever the gently caress they want because in the end people want to consume that chicken sandwich, that video game, that movie, etc.

Ghostaga
Jan 12, 2021
I’m happy Reddit is making GBS threads it’s rear end. I was way too addicted to it for years. At least lurking here I don’t feel compelled to spend my whole day mindlessly scrolling.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Just read the Wired article and I’m left confused why redditors are so upset.

Are the moderators rebelling because Apollo had tools not available in the main app? That seems like an easy fix of Reddit just copying that functionality, which I thought the ceo said they’d do in the verge interview?

From what I understand the issue is that the CEO has been saying that they would do that for years now and there's a pretty good chance he'll still be saying it for years to come.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
What are they gonna do if they don't implement the features? Stop browsing for 48 hours?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

As far as ceo brainworms go reddit guy wanting to be elon musk is way less interesting than when eddie lampert tried to turn sears employees into randian supermen by making store departments fight over resources

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 18, 2023

Bass.exe
Apr 17, 2023

by vyelkin

zetamind2000 posted:

As far as ceo brainworms go reddit guy wanting to be elon musk is way less interesting than when eddie lampert tried to turn sears employees into randian supermen by making store departments fight over resources

Oh god, is that still going on? The sears libertarian battle royale ceo was a riot.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Bass.exe posted:

Oh god, is that still going on? The sears libertarian battle royale ceo was a riot.

Sear's and Kmart finally went down the drain they had been circling for years. It's all extremely stupid because Sears and Kmart really did not need that much of a nudge to get back on course, it's just that Lambert absolutely refused to listen to anyone who told him what he didn't want to hear and made sure to fill his inner circle with people who's chief qualification was their A+ butthole tonguing game.

Lick Joe
Sep 30, 2000
Forum Veteran

turn off the TV posted:

From what I understand the issue is that the CEO has been saying that they would do that for years now and there's a pretty good chance he'll still be saying it for years to come.

Yeah uhh here's a Reddit CEO post from the Obama years apologizing for their lack of progress on moderation tools, so I suspect you may be right there. If the current CEO had a smidge of awareness he should probably just drop that apology into ChatGPT and ask it to rewrite it.

Also I find it funny that people have been wanting a solution for powertripping mods for well over a decade, but two days of a protest and suddenly it's a huge issue to the point where they're suddenly planning on deploying systems for voting them out.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Sear's and Kmart finally went down the drain they had been circling for years. It's all extremely stupid because Sears and Kmart really did not need that much of a nudge to get back on course, it's just that Lambert absolutely refused to listen to anyone who told him what he didn't want to hear and made sure to fill his inner circle with people who's chief qualification was their A+ butthole tonguing game.

My experience with the company was getting hired to work at a kmart store's newly opened online department, which mostly meant running around the store trying to find stuff that wasn't on shelves because there weren't enough employees and having to run what I could find by a layaway department that had one employee and a line of customers every second the store was open. Corporate policy was that if an order was picked and scanned within ten minutes (maybe less) then the store was fined until the employees did better

I quit a few weeks in because they never finished training me and expected me to clear an unending list of orders meant for multiple employees. I probably cost the store a lot of money because I can't imagine that corporate would shut down the program just because no one would work there

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 18, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Further Reading posted:

It's kinda funny that the only actual threat the admins have to levy is "we'll get someone else to do this unpaid yet necessary labour using our lovely tools".

It says a lot about the human condition that people are this driven to keep doing such an unpleasant job with no compensation. Is such a thin facade of power really this appealing?

I've said it before ITT and I'll say it again, I am absolutely sure that some people would pay for the privilege of being a reddit mod on big subs. If not some wackadoodle terminally online obsessive weirdo, it would be people with corporate affiliations

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 18, 2023

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've said it before ITT and I'll say it again, I am absolutely sure that some people would pay for the privilege of being a reddit mod on big subs

I wouldn't take this bet. You're right.

Power is its own sort of narcotic.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

zetamind2000 posted:

There was a longread about him and how he ran Sears regarding that that I've been searching for the past few months.

It detailed the meetings he was holding with his c suites I think as well

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: misunderstood the question

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 18, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Another thing that made eddie lampert special was pointlessly spending his own money to keep the company going long after anyone else would have dynamited every store on the list

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 18, 2023

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/aejleslie/status/1670201127701209088

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

feverish and oversexed posted:

I'd say for a lot of people it's all they have that gives them that lovely dopamine

Someone in the comments described mods getting forcibly removed as “neckbeard 9/11”.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

lol @ "neckbeard 9/11"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

About threads and nesting and such - I do think that SA is much better from a desktop interface, although the Awful apps are great. Once you're more used to our weird spin on vBulletin on desktop and have the hang of threads and lore then the apps become more useful.

Sorting a thread by a single user, judicious use of tabs, and knowing where to look for stuff all make the unthreaded approach here more usable.

I'm not familiar enough with Reddit to know if modship there is as much as a weird powertrip as has been described, but as an SA mod I already went mad with power a long time ago. :unsmigghh:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

2023 and goons still somehow pretend they're better than reddit

Lol, lmao even

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Son of Rodney posted:

Lol, lmao even

We just lucked out that our dipshit CEO hosed off and then did his deed for society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

Lol, lmao even

yeah if you go to the /r/relationships thread on here, that steals reddit posts and talks about them, it may actually somehow be even worse than reddit.