Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NocnaShada
Nov 10, 2015

Moey posted:

... epomaker budgerigar switches.

Similar feeling, lighter, super quiet.

Gearman posted:

Boba U4 ... won't feel as tactile, but it will be incredibly quiet.

Ooh! I heard of Boba U4, have been eyeing them, but I've never heard of the budgerigar. Will check them out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Apparently there are Kailh Mute Jades, though the sound tests I can find make them still sound pretty loud, but certainly more muted than regular Jades. This is probably the closest you'll find to a "silent" clicky. Novelkeys should be restocking them soon: https://novelkeys.com/products/kailh-box-switches?variant=41869263372455

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MuadDib Atreides posted:

What color way are you copping op ?

Single Chip: https://kprepublic.com/products/dom...-xd84-bm60-bm65

I was also interested in their Choco Donut set, but it looks like it was a group buy I missed. I hope they put some on their store, but I don’t know if that’s how group buys work.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Moey posted:

I was primarily using a board with box navy. Grabbed a new prebuilt with epomaker budgerigar switches.

Similar feeling, lighter, super quiet.

Have not tried them side by side in the same board with anything else yet, but I doubt this cheap board is this much quieter than my gmmk pro.

Here's the setup I randomly grabbed.

https://a.co/d/bzwF2D4

I'll add on to this post to say that if anyone wants some epomaker budgerigar switches, I'm selling some on SA-Mart and Mercari for a good price. If I manage to sell the budgerigar switches, it'll help with my next move on trying out some nuphy aloe switches which I heard were lightweight and low-profile (they are also charmingly green).

edit: wait, are nuphy switches not compatible with any other keyboard?

god please help me fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 18, 2023

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Single Chip: https://kprepublic.com/products/dom...-xd84-bm60-bm65

I was also interested in their Choco Donut set, but it looks like it was a group buy I missed. I hope they put some on their store, but I don’t know if that’s how group buys work.

They always have extras after the group buy orders are shipped out. The price is higher than the GB cost, though.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

NocnaShada posted:

Ooh! I heard of Boba U4, have been eyeing them, but I've never heard of the budgerigar. Will check them out. Thanks!

They are the best key switch in existence. I have them on three boards, and by summers end it will be 5

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

NocnaShada posted:

I've never heard of the budgerigar.

Yeah, me neither, just randomly rolled the dice.

I'm not upset with the outcome.

LionArcher posted:

They are the best key switch in existence. I have them on three boards, and by summers end it will be 5

U4T is also on my list. Is 65-68 cents a switch the standard going rate?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Moey posted:

Yeah, me neither, just randomly rolled the dice.

I'm not upset with the outcome.

U4T is also on my list. Is 65-68 cents a switch the standard going rate?

For Gazzew switches, that's about the going rate. There are other switches out there at half that price (JWICK, KTT, Haimu) and some closer to $1/each (Creams, Gateron Inks, every Zeal switch).

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

god please help me posted:

I'll add on to this post to say that if anyone wants some epomaker budgerigar switches, I'm selling some on SA-Mart and Mercari for a good price. If I manage to sell the budgerigar switches, it'll help with my next move on trying out some nuphy aloe switches which I heard were lightweight and low-profile (they are also charmingly green).

edit: wait, are nuphy switches not compatible with any other keyboard?

I'm interested in the epomaker budgerigars based on that prior post, but I'm finding mixed reviews about whether or not they're actually quiet. Does anyone have personal experience with both those and boba U4s, in order to give me a comparison?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Kramering in to ask if their are any good wireless mechanical keyboards that don’t cost a fortune?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Koirhor posted:

Kramering in to ask if their are any good wireless mechanical keyboards that don’t cost a fortune?

The Keychron K series of keyboards are hotswap and have wireless and come in around $100. You can find a bunch here: https://www.keychron.com/collections/keychron-k-series-keyboard

Just a note, that I recommend ordering from Amazon if you can because Keychron's customer service is awful on a good day. It's much easier to get refunds/returns/replacements through Amazon should you need it.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I just pulled out my budgerigar switches to test things out. A couple of caveats in the facts that I don't have boba U4s to compare with, and I also use O rings on my keycaps, but I didn't find the budgerigar switches that much louder than my silent linear Gamakay Phoenix switches. Yes, I find them louder than the dedicated silent Phoenix switches, but only slightly which is impressive to me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i have the boba u4s and my estimate of its noise level is that it will be soft enough not to be picked up by discord calls naturally, but emits enough noise to wake up a cat who insists on sleeping next to the keyboard

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/cursedsetups/status/1670615425200029697

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Gearman posted:

Apparently there are Kailh Mute Jades, though the sound tests I can find make them still sound pretty loud, but certainly more muted than regular Jades. This is probably the closest you'll find to a "silent" clicky. Novelkeys should be restocking them soon: https://novelkeys.com/products/kailh-box-switches?variant=41869263372455

I have a few. Turns out when you silence the clicky part, they just sound and feel like an average heavy tactile switch.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Ugh. I can hear the switches clacking

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

Ugh. I can hear the switches quacking

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Friends, I am fed up with this eternal wandering from brand to brand, dropping $100 to $150 on a keyboard only to find I hate it for some reason or another and then frantically trying to find a buyer or a return policy.

Are Duckys and Filcos still good? because I think I want to just drop one last thing on some good old fashioned cherry browns and be done for a long rear end time.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Friends, I am fed up with this eternal wandering from brand to brand, dropping $100 to $150 on a keyboard only to find I hate it for some reason or another and then frantically trying to find a buyer or a return policy.

Are Duckys and Filcos still good? because I think I want to just drop one last thing on some good old fashioned cherry browns and be done for a long rear end time.

I think Filco and Ducky are still making almost the exact same thing they've been making for the past decade+. That is to say, great very solid standard boards. I think the Ducky One 3 is a pretty solid all rounder that ticks all the boxes one could want these days. They just get less chatter because their models are not some insanely hosed up new tiny form factor milled out of exotic grades of aluminum released every other week.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gwaihir posted:

I think Filco and Ducky are still making almost the exact same thing they've been making for the past decade+. That is to say, great very solid standard boards. I think the Ducky One 3 is a pretty solid all rounder that ticks all the boxes one could want these days. They just get less chatter because their models are not some insanely hosed up new tiny form factor milled out of exotic grades of aluminum released every other week.

Good enough for me. Gonna order one during lunch.

(Keychrons are overrated)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Can anyone recommend some tactile switches? I currently use Boba U4Ts in my work keyboard but I find them pretty scratchy and lubing them didn’t help a whole lot in that regard. They’re fine but I don’t love them. I also don’t want something heavier (I have some White Jades and while they’re neat, they’re too heavy for me for daily use). I’m looking for something light with a rounded bump that feels relatively smooth to type on.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm a huge fan of these, but the lightest ones are currently sold out: https://zealpc.net/products/zilent?variant=5894832291878

Maybe available elsewhere? Or worth waiting for.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Get a Leopold. They’re the best feeling stock keyboards.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Is it possible to use Home Row Mod with the VIA firmware? I haven't figured out how to do that on the usevia.app.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

It's been awhile since I was messing around with home row mods, but I don't think mod-tap is available in the GUI. You'd have to write the code yourself.

I used this as a reference: https://precondition.github.io/home-row-mods

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Saukkis posted:

Is it possible to use Home Row Mod with the VIA firmware? I haven't figured out how to do that on the usevia.app.

Disclaimer, I only messed with this a bit and had never heard of home row mods before reading your post. But when setting the keymap, under the 'SPECIAL' tab there is an option called 'ANY' which lets you put whatever code you want on that key.

Using that I put MT(MOD_LGUI, KC_A) on a the 'A' key and it seems to work but was causing some weirdness while just trying to type normally. I'm guessing this is because of how the tapping_term is set by default so you'll probably need to write the code anyway.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

CRAYON posted:

Disclaimer, I only messed with this a bit and had never heard of home row mods before reading your post. But when setting the keymap, under the 'SPECIAL' tab there is an option called 'ANY' which lets you put whatever code you want on that key.

Using that I put MT(MOD_LGUI, KC_A) on a the 'A' key and it seems to work but was causing some weirdness while just trying to type normally. I'm guessing this is because of how the tapping_term is set by default so you'll probably need to write the code anyway.

Thanks, that did it, got it to work the way I'm used to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I want to do something unwise and get the Geist ASP.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
what is that layout

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

death cob for cutie posted:

what is that layout

a crime

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

death cob for cutie posted:

what is that layout

Finnish DAS with minor modifications. This gives a better view on it.

No, the crime is all these obsolete layouts people are forced to learn when they don't know any better.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 21, 2023

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

E: posted here by mistake instead of the mouse thread but still kind of relevant in the end. I got a Keychron C1 as my first exploration into mechanical keyboards after using regular old membrane ones my whole life and I love it already. It was a hot-swappabble version with gateron brown switches and feels great to use as a total beginner. Going to do my best to not look into or read anything more about keyboards for a very long time now, because I've seen where that road leads.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 22, 2023

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Gwaihir posted:

Ironic you'd mention chatter on a Ducky One 3 because that was a huge problem when we ordered one. Every so often certain keys would do a double input when pressed. Couldn't tell if it was a firmware issue or the switch itself, so we ended up returning it and getting a Keychron.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I recently picked up a HHKB Pro Hybrid for occasional work days at the office after not knowing that it official supports reprogrammable keymaps now. Topre is still nice! The remapping tool isn't as configurable compared to VIA/QMK but offers enough flexibility.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think my durgod fusion is dying. Is there any recommendation for a similar board in terms of style and features (65%, multimodal wireless, nice looking) that isn't absurdly priced? I found keychrons but I don't like them as much.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe stuff from NuPhy fit's the bill? They have both slim keyboards and full size switches.

https://nuphy.com/collections/keyboards/products/halo65

I think a number of Goons liked a few boards from them, although I'm not sure how programmable they are if that matters to you.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Lord Stimperor posted:

I think my durgod fusion is dying. Is there any recommendation for a similar board in terms of style and features (65%, multimodal wireless, nice looking) that isn't absurdly priced? I found keychrons but I don't like them as much.

I liked Keychron’s K7 - it’s a slim board because Keychon’s standard boards are too thick and will always need a wrist rest if you’re doing any extended amount of typing. The K7 is slim, good variety of switches, can be hot-swappable, can do Bluetooth (but no WiFi), and is insanely portable. Price is under $100

Royal Kludge also has a line of 65% keyboards that are BT/WiFi capable, also hot-swappable. RK’s boards are generally under $100 as well.

I still like my Durgod Fusion but the lack of hotswap is keeping it on my shelf - I don’t have the means to desolder so dealing with spring ping and scratchy switches (I got Silver Silent for night-gaming) was rough.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

I liked Keychron’s K7 - it’s a slim board because Keychon’s standard boards are too thick and will always need a wrist rest if you’re doing any extended amount of typing.

Isn't that the truth. I switch between a K10 with blues and a K3 Pro with reds. I'm really preferring the K3 95% of the time. The SO hates "how loud the red switches" are, though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Can anyone recommend some tactile switches? I currently use Boba U4Ts in my work keyboard but I find them pretty scratchy and lubing them didn’t help a whole lot in that regard. They’re fine but I don’t love them. I also don’t want something heavier (I have some White Jades and while they’re neat, they’re too heavy for me for daily use). I’m looking for something light with a rounded bump that feels relatively smooth to type on.

Late reponse but: my fav tactiles are durock T1s, they have a holy panda-esque tactile bump but they are affordable. They are fairly light at 67g. There's also super cheap versions with JWICK branding but opaque housings.

Clear housing for RGB:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000472141414.html

Ludicrously cheap JWICK version, opaque housing:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004226805283.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Just got a Keychron K8 Pro with browns that I am absolutely in love with! What you get for the price is astounding compared to big brand stuff, and it just sounds so deliciously thocky mmmm

Anyway, I really like the shine-through keycaps it has but then I saw this beautiful set https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004613521387.html

Does anyone know if these are available in ISO layout? I have looked on aliexpress but couldn't find any. :-(

Also, do keycap sets from AE tend to be decent quality-wise? There is a LOT of them on there for next to nothing.