Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

So we asked an AI Generator what the worst possible combination of words could be, and anyway here's Monopoly Scrabble

I mistook this for an actual AI post because of the JPEG artifacts and nearly reported it.

For those that haven't heard, check out the TG rules for new rules about posting about AI. Basically, it's been causing bad derails in several threads (not here thankfully) so probably don't post about it outside of the containment thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I wish for a version of Monopoly but without the roll and move mechanic.

finger curls on the cursed monkey paw

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Magnetic North posted:

I mistook this for an actual AI post because of the JPEG artifacts and nearly reported it.

just when I thought there couldn’t be less funhaving than monopoly scrabble

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
actually, if you mix the top two games on BGG you get Brass: Pandemic so maybe I stand corrected

Infinitum posted:

Hey kids it's me, your good friend Uncle Hasbro!

So we asked an AI Generator what the worst possible combination of words could be, and anyway here's Monopoly Scrabble

funpla? Is that like a dollar store version gundam model?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 17, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why call it Monopoly Scrabble, when Scrabbopoly was right there

Morbidly curious if this is a Monopoly Deal situation, where it's actually good, or if it's just a straight up abomination.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Gotta make it a Legacy thing

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Hell, I'd be down with Scrabble Legacy. Remove one of the triple word scores. Cs are now worth 4 but someone deleted one of the Hs.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Hell, I'd be down with Scrabble Legacy. Remove one of the triple word scores. Cs are now worth 4 but someone deleted one of the Hs.

start with a base smaller letter set, when someone makes a particular word, open the envelope with new letters in it.

winners of each game get to remove or add letters to the bag.

EDIT: start with a blank/smaller board and let players add the bonus spaces to it in between games according to the storyline.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PRADA SLUT posted:

actually, if you mix the top two games on BGG you get Brass: Pandemic so maybe I stand corrected

funpla? Is that like a dollar store version gundam model?

There's a blank so it's funplay. What confuses me is that all the tiles on that cover are making fun and exciting words to suggest the game has those qualities, and then there's "revoiqh".

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fate Accomplice posted:

start with a base smaller letter set, when someone makes a particular word, open the envelope with new letters in it.

EDIT: start with a blank/smaller board and let players add the bonus spaces to it in between games according to the storyline.

my brother, let me introduce you to illiterati

Bruceski posted:

There's a blank so it's funplay.

no, the blank spells PAINFUL

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jewmanji posted:

Gotta make it a Legacy thing

Monopoly: Legacy. The winner gets to keep all their properties from the previous game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Kazzah posted:

Monopoly: Legacy. The winner gets to keep all their properties from the previous game.

But watch out for the chance card, États Généraux

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

my brother, let me introduce you to illiterati

I hear good things; my copy lies unplayed.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

I hear good things; my copy lies unplayed.

It's very good.

A friend plays his copy with young kids on easy mode and highly recommends it for collaborative play.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Suffering from a Too Many Games + Adult Plans Take Forever To Organise situation ATM
Currently trying to schedule regular game days, Frosthaven game days, and war game days at the same time.

Good situation to be in, but oof planning has game days ballooned out until August now.

Next month looking like we'll have another 8 player Twilight Imperium day, and might try floating the Alliance Variant idea to the table for some hot hot 2v2v2v2 action
August tentatively has me finally getting Western Empires to the table with a full 9 players. Players already aware this'll be a hard elimination type game potentially, and will be instructed to be merciless :gritin:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Infinitum posted:

Players already aware this'll be a hard elimination type game potentially, and will be instructed to be merciless :gritin:
Don't forget about respawns through empire-splitting events.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Infinitum posted:

Next month looking like we'll have another 8 player Twilight Imperium day, and might try floating the Alliance Variant idea to the table for some hot hot 2v2v2v2 action

So in an alliance game do alliances sit together or opposite?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I know in card games, they traditionally sit across from each other. That way they alternate turns.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want to play TI but barely any of my friends enjoy games that take 8 hours+

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

TI4 is actually reasonably quick, compared to earlier editions. I've played multiple 6 player games, including teaching new players, in 4 hours or less.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

rydiafan posted:

TI4 is actually reasonably quick, compared to earlier editions. I've played multiple 6 player games, including teaching new players, in 4 hours or less.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want to play TI but barely any of my friends enjoy games that take 8 hours+

yeah there's a local monthly meetup that almost every time finishes 6/8 player games in a comfortable 4-5 hours

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Went to a big boardgaming event over the past few days, played a ton of games including many of mine which I hadn't previously played much. Thoughts:

Hansa Teutonica Big Box: Mid weight Euro game with tons of player interaction and different ways to play based around building trade routes in Hanseatic Germany, while trying as hard as possible to passive-aggressively block the other players at every turn and acquire the most prestige points. I've had this for a while but this is the first time I've been able to get multiple plays in a short space of time with different player counts (unfortunately my partner absolutely hates "nasty" games with heavy direct interference with other players, and the 3 player minimum also makes this harder to get to the table). This is now by far my favourite game; even with only playing the base board plus the mission cards it's had a good amount of variety. So far I played a different strategy every game, purely based on changing tactics on the fly in order to accomodate the other players' actions, and in one game was upset by a new player trying an unexpected strategy, which is surely a good sign of depth. I've not played it with 5, but so far I think the 4 player game is better than the 3 player, which feels like it has a tighter start, in particular surrounding the bonus actions city. I'm looking forward to getting many, many more plays under my belt and hopefully trying out the other boards some time. As well as being a delightful and continually thought-stirring experience, this game also plays faster than you might expect from such a thinky game compared to other Euro games of similar weight, which endears it to me even further. Please play this game if possible unless you are sure you will hate it!

Furnace: I'd heard good things about this game and it's a cute engine builder with a really clever bidding mechanic with a 19th century capitalist / industrialist theme (obviously the objective is to get the most money). We played the easy mode where you're allowed to reorder your buildings; I'd imagine that the advanced mode can be pleasingly tricky at times, but could also be quite frustrating to handle. Not sure if I'd buy it as it's quite light but it's a very slick design and I would certainly play it any time if offered.

Babylonia: A Mesopotamian city state themed tile laying game where you score points mostly by building chains of tiles connected to cities of types matching the tiles. This is another one of mine, I'd only played it 2 player before; I played a few 3 and 4 player games. I'm now very glad that I added it to my collection as it plays much better at those counts and really comes into its own especially at 4 players. It's extremely different to anything else I have with something of a "classic boardgame" feel to the way you play tiles to the board and the very simple rules, and quick to play while still being interesting. For some reason this game felt really relaxing to play; possibly just the pretty art on the board or the gentle colour pallete, but it was a great space filler between longer, more intense games. I'd love to play more Knizia games if they're anything like this.

Concordia: Venus: A mid weight Euro game set in the Pax Romana where you try to become the wealthiest family in the Empire (i.e. get the most victory points) by trading, building up your resources and influencing people. One of my most played games, the shine has started to come off a little but this game still stands out as being extremely approachable for new players while still being interesting for experienced ones. I'd recommend HT or Troyes over this, but Concordia plays a better 2 player game than either of those, is easier to teach, and has a more typical low interaction multiplayer solitare feel to it, with the only interactions being over the purchase of personality cards and increased cost to be the 2nd or 3rd person to build specific trading posts. Still one of my favourites and while I've come to enjoy more interactive games, this does succeed in still being fun for me to play with some meaningful interaction, while also accomodating those who prefer a chiller experience without so much player on player aggression. Strong recommend due to its broad appeal and easy learning curve.

Res Arcana: A slightly strange beast tableau builder Euro game which at a glance pretends to be a deck builder wearing MtG's clothes. I went to this same event last year and this was my most popular game so I picked up the Lux et Tenebrae expansion recently; this seems to improve the game with more variety and options, and extends it to 5 players, although the game still feels best to me at 3 or 4. Once a few people had got used to the game we played with drafting, which predictably made things better, but my general perception remains the same: it's a clunkier game than its clear inspirations (such as Dominions and RftG) and the main reason I keep it around is that the colourful art and attractive chunky components make it more attractive to those who would usually not play a light-mid weight Euro game. This was originally a gift and I don't think that I would have bought it myself since I have RftG which is a similar game in some ways but IMO superior in gameplay and plays much faster for a full game.

Troyes: A somewhat thematically awkward Euro game set in Medieval France with fantastic art and unique gameplay, where you're "supposed" to be building the drat cathedral, but actually just engage in a variety of actions to show who's the best family of the city. I still think that this is one of the finest games I have played, but the somewhat unusual design seems to make it hard for new players to pick up in spite of it not being extremely rules heavy or complex; it falls slightly outside of what's generally considered to be normal (it's certainly not intuitive in many ways) and there's no easy objectives to point new players at to work towards except building the cathedral which isn't exactly a game winning or competitive strategy by itself. I am sure that if I had a regular group who played this occasionally it would develop into a really fun experience, but it's not as new player friendly as most of the rest of the games here which does make it harder to get a quality game in when you're always teaching. I still love the art and I think that the dice rolling / buying mechanic is absolutely inspired, and would thoroughly recommend.

Wingspan: That very popular light-mid weight Euro game with the birds. Finally played this game and it's everything I'd heard: an aggressively mediocre, stripped down and rethemed version of Terraforming Mars which still manages to copy the greatest sin of its progenitor, which is that it well outstays its welcome. Almost zero player interaction and excessive play time with multiple unnecessary time sink mechanics makes this a definite no from me; I still played multiple games since it wasn't bad enough to go into the "never play" category, and it at least rarely plays longer than 2 hours even at max player count, but it was one of the worst games I played at the event and it would have to play in 30 minutes for a full game for me to consider it even half decent. I don't understand how some people (even other experienced boardgamers!) rave over this game and say it's great when it's so average; presumably there's a drafting mechanic (which we didn't play) to spice things up, but I couldn't see where the interesting part comes in.

Runebound: The first game on this list which leans anywhere near the Ameritrash end of the spectrum; a big fantasy questing epic (but non-campaign) game where you work together with the other players to defeat some big threat to the land (the game is by default competitve but we played with an expansion which adds full coop). I was surprised by this game; unfortunately the guy teaching it was pretty poor at explaining - I got the impression that he'd not played it for some time - and we realised at the end that we'd got extremely poor luck with the distribution of items available for sale (they were mostly very expensive which made it hard for us to upgrade our characters as the items only cycle when you make a purchase) but I did have a lot of fun and the exploration and battle mechanics were interesting and something different from those I've seen in this kind of game before. I'd seriously consider picking up this game if it came with the co-op by default, but it's apparently very difficult to find this expansion for sale and I'm not sure it would be as good without full coop.

Contra: The Board Game: Another Ameritrash-y game, which I mostly played out of morbid curiosity because it seemed like such a weird franchise to have a board game. It was OK, but incredibly swingy in ways which weren't fun, and it really did just boil down to playing a bunch of cards to deal damage while rolling dice to see if you win. Not my type of game at all so I might be biased but I'd avoid.

Possibly I played more games I can't remember right now, will edit in if required. 4 days of boardgaming is a lot and it took some effort to avoid getting stuck in a 4 hour game of TM or the essentially permanent game of Galaxy Trucker which was running in the background.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 18, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Red Arcana can be very fast at 2p, comparable to RftG for us.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I finally got to play Inis; it was a weird introductory game where none of us knew what we were doing and all played extremely badly, but I can see that it is very good and I'm excited to get deeper into it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Poopy Palpy posted:

I finally got to play Inis; it was a weird introductory game where none of us knew what we were doing and all played extremely badly, but I can see that it is very good and I'm excited to get deeper into it.

Inis is my number one. "Draft and then thing" is a compelling pitch, and deterministic area control is a good thing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

CitizenKeen posted:

Inis is my number one. "Draft and then thing" is a compelling pitch, and deterministic area control is a good thing.

In our case it wasn't so much an area control game as a bards singing enough songs about how good my iron swords are game.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fate Accomplice posted:

Hidden packet underneath the inset unleashes the Elder Futhark and now you've got þ, ŋ, and ï floating around

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Don't forget about respawns through empire-splitting events.

Yeah I'll probably do a "what rules to look out for" post closer to the date, but thank you.

So many sheets to pop and cards to organise :negative:

Triskelli posted:

So in an alliance game do alliances sit together or opposite?

I'd put it to a vote if the players want to go for it, but personally I'd have them sitting in pairs to make strategy whispering easier.
https://twilight-imperium.fandom.com/wiki/Alliance_Game_Variant

I'd probably also do the player & pre-game draft differently as well:
- Draft player teams randomly
- Teams can remove 1 faction each from the draft
- Teams will be randomly given a choice of factions, instead of players individually
- Teams get to chose the best combo pair for their play style

We might have some new players at the table for the full 8, which might put a kibosh to an Alliance game

ActingPower posted:

I know in card games, they traditionally sit across from each other. That way they alternate turns.

In TI4 turn order isn't determined by seating order.

However in an Alliance game I'd probably have the teams, if they were sitting together, choose one Strategy card and then let the draft go around the table, and then choose their second.

rydiafan posted:

I mean yeah if you wanna do just straight competitive play, but table chat is half the fun.

Particularly when someone does something obviously dickish.

"I just need to do a thing, and I promise I'll leave."
"Oh do ya mate? Do you just have to come into my system"
"...yeah"
:v:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
drat, the Race for the Galaxy app tutorial does not do a great job of explaining the game. I think I’ll try and track down a copy of the rulebook.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Anonymous Robot posted:

drat, the Race for the Galaxy app tutorial does not do a great job of explaining the game. I think I’ll try and track down a copy of the rulebook.

What's not to get?

I
II :fork:
III :taco:
IV
V
VI :weed:
VII

Perfectly intuitive.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Sokani posted:

What's not to get?

I
II :fork:
III :taco:
IV
V
VI :weed:
VII

Perfectly intuitive.

Yes, you see in phase one you :eyepop: :gay: unless you are picking other phase one in which case you :eyepop: more but :gay: same, of course. Then, clearly, when you :10bux: phase IV, you and only you :10bux:, but everyone else and you also :munch: which you must if you can. It’s so simple we don’t even need words on the cards!

Elysium fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 18, 2023

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bottom Liner posted:

Red Arcana can be very fast at 2p, comparable to RftG for us.

It's one of the only games I have where it's been played significantly more at 3+ than it has at 2, so I might be underselling it as a 2p game

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Hey kids it's me, your good friend Uncle Hasbro!

How about instead we all suffer through a rousing game of COMMUNOPOLY??!!

https://youtu.be/jkN6xxyEgZc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poopy Palpy posted:

And once you do you'll realise that it's Munchkin with a map.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
This may be the wrongest Jedit opinion so far. I guess it's because of the nature of the red cards that you can hoard, which can result in a flurry of things happening. But those cards are clearly written and comprehensible. And Inis ends, quickly, which Munchkin famously does not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nah I get it, the endgame is the same genre. Can this person win? If yes, everyone tries to stop them. Winner is based on who's winning when all that runs out.

The rest of what you said is true though, and Inis actually ending is a key point in its favor.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jiro posted:

How about instead we all suffer through a rousing game of COMMUNOPOLY??!!

https://youtu.be/jkN6xxyEgZc

I will link this comic at basically any opportunity: Anarchist Monopoly from Existential Comics.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mr. Squishy posted:

This may be the wrongest Jedit opinion so far.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

Nah I get it, the endgame is the same genre. Can this person win? If yes, everyone tries to stop them. Winner is based on who's winning when all that runs out.

The rest of what you said is true though, and Inis actually ending is a key point in its favor.

Oh, I'll definitely agree with that. And I suspect we all agree that Munchkin is closer to Exploding Kittens than to Inis. But that doesn't mean Inis is good, and it's certainly not great.

A subgroup at my old game night played Inis obsessively every week for a month. Week 1 was "I don't know what's going on but I look forward to finding out", week 2 was "this is really good and clever", but by week 4 they'd seen that it always ended with several players one step from victory and the winner was inevitably decided by kingmaking. It never hit the table again and the owner sold it a few weeks later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

RabidWeasel posted:

Went to a big boardgaming event over the past few days, played a ton of games including many of mine which I hadn't previously played much. Thoughts:

*snip*

I was actually thinking about picking up Troyes. I loved Concordia and Hansa so it seemed like a logical next purchase but if it's hard for new players to grasp I'm not so sure now - my group gets together twice or so every month and except for the lightest stuff it always involves a bit of relearning so we're not at our most competitive usually :v: Haven't had the chance to play it on BGA because there's barely anyone playing whenever I'm looking for matches. I did do the tutorial there (which is sadly very poorly written) and I liked the dice mechanism but I could see it being very confusing