Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can get symmetric connections by paying out the rear end for them because then you’re obviously buying a bigger pipe to push all your poo poo through.

Yeah I always thought it was a purely artificial limitation. The only people who want to upload more than they download are businesses and they can pay 100x more for it because :capitalism:

CapMoron posted:

Anyone have any idea what happened to NZBCat?

Not just me then:

Found a question about it on Reddit from 4 hours ago but no replies yet. Guess this is why we preach overlapping services for most things.

Taima posted:

Yeah that's fair. Torrents make me paranoid as gently caress, I know it's irrational but here we are. It makes me feel like an old in some ways, since it feels like everyone has a VPN. But it's not just that; torrenting never sat right with me because I have zero interest in giving back to the system, so it makes me feel ethically dirty to get something off torrent with no intention to then seed it after, right?

My most complex setup is my Transmission/OpenVPN jail with a firewall killswitch to block all network traffic that isn't through the VPN. It gets used pretty rarely compared to Usenet but still comes in handy every once in a while, if nothing else than for grabbing actual proper Linux ISOs or stuff off archive.org.

And if 'giving back' is really a concern for you, any modern torrent client will have options to set how long or to what ratio to auto-seed to, and the *arrs even have the ability to either symlink or just copy a file once it's done so it can seed and be used by your media player simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Takes No Damage posted:

My most complex setup is my Transmission/OpenVPN jail with a firewall killswitch to block all network traffic that isn't through the VPN. It gets used pretty rarely compared to Usenet but still comes in handy every once in a while, if nothing else than for grabbing actual proper Linux ISOs or stuff off archive.org.

This type of VPN-killswitch torrent client setup has become much easier thanks to the advent of Docker containers like docker-transmission-openvpn.

I think it took me all of 10 minutes to add it to the Docker setup on my home server, plug my VPN details into the configuration, and get a working Transmission client that only runs when there is an active VPN tunnel.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 18, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

This type of VPN-killswitch torrent client setup has become much easier thanks to the advent of Docker containers like docker-transmission-openvpn.

I think it took me all of 10 minutes to add it to the Docker setup on my home server, plug my VPN details into the configuration, and get a working Transmission client that only runs when there is an active VPN tunnel.

The cool thing with that one if it’s the one I’m thinking about is you can use omega proxy chrome extension to pop into the vpn or specify on the Linux command line: docker run —network container:vpn and any container will come up just using the VPN.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s 11 years old, so probably in the most general way as nothing major has really changed in that time period but maybe the specifics aren’t all correct.

Takes No Damage posted:

A usenet account (Frugal is one of the better ones IMO)
An indexer to actually search usenet (NZBGeek is a good place to start)
A download client (SANbzbd or NZBGet)
Whatever media managers you need (Sonarr, Radarr etc)

I'm glad someone else is asking for newbie setup guides, cause I'm in the same boat.

My mate installed the following on my NAS ages ago:
SABnzbd
Sonnarr
Prowlarr

It seems Radarr is always mentioned so I suppose I should get that too.

Then it's a case of getting usenet account and indexer (is Prowlarr an indexer or is that a media manager?)? Do I just google those things or do i search for them through one of the things i have installed on my NAS?

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 18, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm glad someone else is asking for newbie setup guides, cause I'm in the <<same boat>>.

Post/username does not compute :pirate:

Looten Plunder posted:

Then it's a case of getting usenet account and indexer (is Prowlarr an indexer or is that a media manager?)? Do I just google those things or do i search for them through one of the things i have installed on my NAS?

Prowlarr is an indexer manager, so instead of setting each indexer you have up on each *arr app, you set them up once in Prowlarr then point all your other *arr's to it. Not necessary but convenient.

For just getting started look through some Youtube vids, there's follow-along tutorials for just about everything. Right now you've got:
SABnzbd > downloads from Usenet
Sonnarr > TV
Prowlarr > index manager

You still need accounts for both Usenet itself (which you'll enter into SABnzbd) and an indexer (which can go directly into your *arrs or into Prowlarr as mentioned above).

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 18, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Post/username does not compute :pirate:

Hey, I sail the high seas regularly but the death of rarbg has made me finally take the plunge.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How safe is it to download public domain movies, virus-wise? Does this eventually turn into what I saw on my friends laptop after several months of limewire?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sometimes things get packed with .url and .exe files which id never touch out of caution, but having a download manager handle everything pretty much takes the worry out of things. I’m in a Mac environment personally so less to worry about, but I’ve only seen one thing in forever that wasn’t what it claimed to be and I think that was simply down to someone’s dumb mistake rather than anything nefarious.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah I always thought it was a purely artificial limitation. The only people who want to upload more than they download are businesses and they can pay 100x more for it because :capitalism:

It's only an artificial limitation on full duplex physical medium.
When you have an inherently half-duplex medium like a single pair of copper wires or a cable loop the upload bandwidth has to be multiplexed with the download, meaning every bit of frequency/time dedicated to upload reduces download.
In the case of fibre this apparently still holds true and they use different wavelengths of light to get full-duplex down a single strand fibre.

And the business thing is because businesses being businesses are also paying for *guarantees* that the bandwidth is always available to them and not oversold like a residential connection. Effectively buying both the connection from the business to the ISP and again from the ISP to the upstream peering point. If it's symmetric they are effectively paying for two of these connections.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

buglord posted:

How safe is it to download public domain movies, virus-wise? Does this eventually turn into what I saw on my friends laptop after several months of limewire?

Never seen anything like this from Usenet. As said above some will pack the vid in a folder with other stuff that i just delete anyway.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

CapMoron posted:

Anyone have any idea what happened to NZBCat?

Official status page: https://status.nzb.cat/

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

“Problems detected” indeed.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I’m down to three indexers now with cat down. I like to keep four at all times because of stuff like that, have to go scrounge up some new ones. Still missing nzbs.org :(

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Cat has been pretty bad for a while according to my ARR's so it's no big loss to me. Geek and Drunken Slug are very good.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Takes No Damage posted:

Prowlarr is an indexer manager, so instead of setting each indexer you have up on each *arr app, you set them up once in Prowlarr then point all your other *arr's to it. Not necessary but convenient.

It also can function as a decent way to search for content across all your indexers without having to log in and do it on each. Good for items you are looking for but don’t want to be assed with setting up in *arr.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I broke my Synology on migration, and I'm needing to start fresh. What's the current docker setup? I was using linusserver io before. But looking around I fell into https://mariushosting.com/ which uses primarily ghcr.io.
The big diff so far is the default user. Any guidance if one should be preferred?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

deong posted:

I broke my Synology on migration, and I'm needing to start fresh. What's the current docker setup? I was using linusserver io before. But looking around I fell into https://mariushosting.com/ which uses primarily ghcr.io.
The big diff so far is the default user. Any guidance if one should be preferred?

They have pretty much all of them on the syno community app store now and tbh they work just fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Gunslinger posted:

Still missing nzbs.org :(

Oh dude, when org went down one of the bigger, more private ones gave amnesty to the users and let everyone move over. It was essentially seamless and tbh I forget the differences between the two as it’s run so similarly. I use it for 99% of my hits.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
God drat it I'm just learning this now??

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

deong posted:

The linuxserver versions have been fine for me for a while so I haven’t felt the need to look elsewhere. But I’m not needing any fancy addons beyond the basics.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

It also can function as a decent way to search for content across all your indexers without having to log in and do it on each. Good for items you are looking for but don’t want to be assed with setting up in *arr.

This is a good point. A lot of times for series I'll search for an entire season directly in Prowlarr to make sure I'm getting the same group release and then just manually import the files when it's done. Unless I've been vigilant in setting up filters and tags in Sonarr it will grab whatever it finds first.

e:

buglord posted:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 20, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'm up and running but everything around configuring/setup i'm confused as gently caress.

Despite watching multiple videos and reading a ton of guides I can't quite translate them to my current setup.

My main confusion is setting up SABnzb and Sonarr and having them talk to each other. I currently have a System warning in Sonarr that said something about downloads are going to root folder which is a no-no (I've since deleted the root folder path in the Sonarr -> Setting ->Media Management tab which has removed the error but I assume that has now broken the connection to SABnzb as well.)

Now to actually formulate some questions so I don't just sound like a complete rambling idiot.

1. In SABnzb, the guides tell me to set up the completed downloads folder to be something like "/volume1/downloads/complete" and then configure the Categories tab to point to the same place for TV shows and Movies, so folder paths are /volume1/downloads/complete/TVShows and /volume1/downloads/complete/Movies

Is this where I should be putting in the path of where all my media is stored for my Plex Library or should i leave it like this as the guides say and point to my Plex server somewhere in Sonarr instead (perhaps the individual show folder when I add a new series?)

2. When I downloaded my first show - it added it to the "Completed/Movies" folder istead of the TV one. I added SABnzb to the Download Clients in Sonarr and entered "tv" as the category as per the guides (to match the "tv" category i created in SAB, which I assumed was the instruction to add it to the TV folder) but it hasn't seemed to work.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Late reply but I happened to see this. I also recommend that Docker container. I pretty much have the same setup, using it with PLEX, Nefarious and NGINX in a set of VM microservices. I'm still kind of a container noob, so it took me a few hours of tinkering, but I got it working.

The hard part for me iirc was setting the HOST_PATH to a good directory where transmission could specify further down that dir path.

Also making sure it had correct privileges to actually write, though that may have actually been fixed by my HOST_PATH stuff not the thing I did.

If you're better at reading and following directions than me it's probably quite simple. In any event, its super cool and I love having it even though my friends don't really take advantage of it like I wish they would :ohdear:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Post your docker-config file. Also I'd strongly suggest going through the TRaSH guides walkthrough for this as it handles all the "put the downloads here" stuff pretty well.

Also gluetun is a pretty good "I want this container to use a VPN" solution as well. Works out of the box with a bunch of providers and has stuff like healthchecks set up as well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Alright, I'm up and running but everything around configuring/setup i'm confused as gently caress.

Despite watching multiple videos and reading a ton of guides I can't quite translate them to my current setup.

My main confusion is setting up SABnzb and Sonarr and having them talk to each other. I currently have a System warning in Sonarr that said something about downloads are going to root folder which is a no-no (I've since deleted the root folder path in the Sonarr -> Setting ->Media Management tab which has removed the error but I assume that has now broken the connection to SABnzb as well.)

Now to actually formulate some questions so I don't just sound like a complete rambling idiot.

1. In SABnzb, the guides tell me to set up the completed downloads folder to be something like "/volume1/downloads/complete" and then configure the Categories tab to point to the same place for TV shows and Movies, so folder paths are /volume1/downloads/complete/TVShows and /volume1/downloads/complete/Movies

Is this where I should be putting in the path of where all my media is stored for my Plex Library or should i leave it like this as the guides say and point to my Plex server somewhere in Sonarr instead (perhaps the individual show folder when I add a new series?)

2. When I downloaded my first show - it added it to the "Completed/Movies" folder istead of the TV one. I added SABnzb to the Download Clients in Sonarr and entered "tv" as the category as per the guides (to match the "tv" category i created in SAB, which I assumed was the instruction to add it to the TV folder) but it hasn't seemed to work.

I have separate paths for downloads and the media itself, something like:
/downloads/usenet/incoming
/downloads/usenet/complete
/downloads/torrents/incoming
/downloads/torrents/complete

Then Soarr/Radarr just monitor the /complete folders and move new files over to:
/media/movies/...
/media/television/...

Can take some screenshots of my config later on if needed, I forget what I used to set things up initially (not trash) but yeah hooking all the folders together took a while to wrap my head around.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Looten Plunder posted:

Are you following this guide?

https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/Hardlinks-and-Instant-Moves/

If not it should really help you untangle all of this.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Are you following this guide?
https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/Hardlinks-and-Instant-Moves/
If not it should really help you untangle all of this.

I'm surprised I didn't paste this in all of my rambling, but yes, i stumbled across that. I was getting confused by it because it's all focused on; and keeps mentioning, Docker and I'm not using Docker. I'll give it another go tonight know that I know I'm on the right track.

Takes No Damage posted:

Then Soarr/Radarr just monitor the /complete folders and move new files over to:
/media/movies/...
/media/television/...

Knowing this also helps. I wasn't sure if I sposed to be handling that in SAB instead.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm surprised I didn't paste this in all of my rambling, but yes, i stumbled across that. I was getting confused by it because it's all focused on; and keeps mentioning, Docker and I'm not using Docker. I'll give it another go tonight know that I know I'm on the right track.

Knowing this also helps. I wasn't sure if I sposed to be handling that in SAB instead.

https://drfrankenstein.co.uk/category/initial-setup/
This guide has a pretty good set up of **arr on synology dockers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Looten Plunder posted:

For the "how to set up for" page pick "native"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Don't know if this will help or hurt as I'm doing everything through separate jails in my NAS, but my folder setup looks like this:

SABnzbd:

Those are mounted back to my /usenet/incoming/ and /usenet/complete/ folders in my NAS. Any torrent client will have similar settings for its downloads.

Sonarr:

Under Download Clients, monitoring the download folders for Usenet and torrents.

And the root folder:

This is mounted to /media/television/ in the NAS.

Radarr:

Looking at the same places as Sonarr.

Root folder:

And then obviously have stuff like /media/movies/ and /media/television/ added as libraries in Plex or whatever.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m just starting and tinkering around with geek and giga news (3 day and 14 day free trials) and probably will try to use an old laptop as a media centre (?)

but it is very funny how people keep referencing downloading linux isos, dude must have 1000s on his nas

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Jel Shaker posted:

i’m just starting and tinkering around with geek and giga news (3 day and 14 day free trials) and probably will try to use an old laptop as a media centre (?)

but it is very funny how people keep referencing downloading linux isos, dude must have 1000s on his nas

I’m not sure there’s anything *else* on Usenet.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

quick question, is jellyfin better than plex? or just different?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jel Shaker posted:

Just different as far as I can tell. After you ignore the religious types they pretty much do the same thing and preference tends to be based on what works/doesn't work for you.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Charles Leclerc posted:

Just different as far as I can tell. After you ignore the religious types they pretty much do the same thing and preference tends to be based on what works/doesn't work for you.

Mostly this.
Plex tends to be better at sharing with non technicals. Otherwise it almost feels like a different skin to me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

It's a bit basic in some UI elements and was on less client devices, though the gap has narrowed considerably over the past few years so most major platforms should be supported. On the flipside it's open source and there is no expensive pass required for any functionality. I've used both but was more comfortable with Plex and had a lifetime pass so I just stayed with it. Plus it's easier to explain to friends and family to get Plex as opposed to "oh hey get JELLYFIN" which sounds like you're trying to infect them with malware or something.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Plexamp is quite good, that might be the one big advantage I think plex has. Only applicable for music though.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I like how you can disable episode descriptions in Jellyfin. Every time I tried Plex some spoiler was shoved in my face, and I didn't see any way to turn that garbage off.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

I’ve never found anything Jellyfin is better at. But plex is much better at some edge use cases that if it matters to you, you’ll never use anything else. (For me, I YouTube-dl tech channels then watch at 2x speed on a iPad. Jellyfin and Emby are both horrible for organizing YouTube dl content)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Plex wanting me to pay for a license to stream my own content from my own network made me bin it off pretty much immediately, and I’ve never looked at the alternatives.