Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Finished System Shock Remake. I really liked it, it don't know how it compares to the original in terms of difficulty, but as a seasoned scrounger I ended up with tons of ammo and health items. I had to consult a walkthrough a couple of times, it would have helped to be able to make text notes on the map and maybe favorite emails/logs. Combat could use a bit more hit reactions from the enemies. Cyberspace is bad, should have put that on Easy.

For a first proper game release from a studio and a remake of a beloved classic it hits it out of the park imo. If you take into account the development troubles (NoClip has a short documentary about it I think) it's a bit of a miracle tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

GhostDog posted:

Finished System Shock Remake. I really liked it, it don't know how it compares to the original in terms of difficulty, but as a seasoned scrounger I ended up with tons of ammo and health items. I had to consult a walkthrough a couple of times, it would have helped to be able to make text notes on the map and maybe favorite emails/logs. Combat could use a bit more hit reactions from the enemies. Cyberspace is bad, should have put that on Easy.

For a first proper game release from a studio and a remake of a beloved classic it hits it out of the park imo. If you take into account the development troubles (NoClip has a short documentary about it I think) it's a bit of a miracle tbh.

mostly how I feel about it too, it was pretty entertaining and well done. Must have been not as easy to hit the sweet spot between an over 20 year old game and today.

I didn't play the original back then, but it still gave me the great feel of 90s games trying to explore a world on your own. Something a lot of new games don't achieve anymore (regardless of production value really)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah I am really enjoying System Shock Remake. I think they did a great mix of modernization but remaining true to the original.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

GhostDog posted:

The only thing they really changed was the final boss to make it more cinematic. It worked pretty well!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

so BattleBit Remastered came out the other day and it might be the best battlefield game ever made.

I guess I’m buying this game. It looks good AF

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I'm unironically tempted to buy it just to spite BF2042.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's much more fun than any recent battlefield game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The visual style keeps putting me off but yeah the gameplay looks really good.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They reduced prices for third world countries and I might just buy it out of appreciation.

How friendly is it for casual players?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

They reduced prices for third world countries and I might just buy it out of appreciation.

How friendly is it for casual players?

It’s a little heavier than you might expect from the graphics; it leans a little harder into the team play than BF, more towards Squad in terms of everything has a really defined role.

That said, it’s 100+ people on each team so ultimately if you just wanna spawn and shoot dudes for an hour it’s very easy to not really care too much about all the rest.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

SGF demos

Surmount is pretty silly fun, and I'll have to play Jusant to see how it compares, as Surmount's climbing gameplay is more arcadey and reminds me of Heave Ho, where you are planting your hands on the wall (one for each trigger button) and then flinging yourself around. You can also find spots to tether yourself to so you won't fall and lose major progress (ie Getting Over It). The style is also cute, with sort of Mii-adjacent character creation and easily readable use of color so you always know what is grab-able and what isn't. However, when I finished the tutorial area and went to start the actual roguelite part, the game softlocked on the loading. Woops! I'm not a roguelite-head but this is interesting enough to draw my attention. Grade: B+

Go Go Town is not quite what I was expecting. I figured Go Go Town was Animal Crossing with far more town management, but the reality is that this game is purely town management that you just so happen to be able to run around in. Yes, you chop trees and mine rocks, but there is no life sim progression here, the tools are just there for you to pick up, use, and put back down when you're done. And the furnaces/machines are already there (although this might just be a demo consideration). So what is the actual gameplay? Largely, opening up shops and functions around the town, which involves paying for and marking an area of land, then gathering the resources to build the building. Lastly assigning a role to the building, a worker to the building, and deciding on what it will sell. These items also require resources so you'll be doing more gathering and then dropping them off at the stores so they can, well, operate, and put some money back into your town's budget. There is also automation where you hire workers to gather resources for you, which I imagine will be pretty important the larger your town gets. I dunno if this is 100% the game for me, it's an odd feel so far. I don't know if being a character running around is all that useful for a game like this, vs just being a point and click god-style interface like your average builder. Grade: C

Welp, I played the Steamworld Build demo for over an hour so that must mean it's at least pretty good. It checks a lot of boxes for me, by mixing the city building and resource gathering of a traditional builder with the additional mining component that is inherited from the Dig series. Yeah you're clicking to dig on cubey tiles rather than jumping around and digging yourself, but it's still similar enough that it works well with the building gameplay. This is a story-based builder so you're gonna be hunting down 6 pieces of a rocket ship in the full game, and I presume that means multiple floors of the mine, as well as expanding your town beyond what was just available to you in the demo. Only question is just how long is the game going to be? I got the first piece of rocket after an hour, so... surely a city builder's not gonna have a 6-7 hour campaign? But then again, Steamworld games are not known for being super long either, usually in that 10-12 hour range. So I guess the price point will be pretty important on this one. Grade: A

Go Go Town looks super cute but shame about the gameplay

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

so BattleBit Remastered came out the other day and it might be the best battlefield game ever made.

I seem to have to connect to a match in order to tweak my various load outs?

That's annoying. Otherwise yea the game is fun.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is there a big ol list of pc couch multi-player games? Just got my old pc connected to the TV with playnite, and even though I have like 500 games, only like 30 show up as local multi-player. It seems like a ton of games have console coop but not pc :(

Just looking to for some games for the wife and I to play.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Is there a big ol list of pc couch multi-player games? Just got my old pc connected to the TV with playnite, and even though I have like 500 games, only like 30 show up as local multi-player. It seems like a ton of games have console coop but not pc :(

Chicory: A Colorful Tale
Divinity: Original Sin
Earth Defense Force
Guacamelee
Haven
Human Fall Flat
Jydge
Knights and Bikes
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Magicka
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
PHOGS!
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
Spiritfarer: Farewell Edition
Untitled Goose Game

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I wish there was a mod for the SS remake that reduced how much inventory space guns take up so I could carry more of them.

GhostDog posted:

I ended up with tons of health items too, never felt really flush with ammo though. I ended up using the melee weapons most of the time. It's even the best weapon for fighting cortex reavers (with a berserk patch).

The recycler mechanic is pretty anti-fun, but as long as you only buy mods you probably don't need to interact with it much. I wish I had enough self-control to not pick up everything and haul it back. Even scraping stuff feels bad because you usually get half as much credit after scrapping as you'd get if you recycled something directly (scrapping items usually gives 5 scrap for each credit it is worth recycled, scrap gives 1 credit per 10 scrap, i.e. half value).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The 7th Guest posted:

Go Go Town is not quite what I was expecting. I figured Go Go Town was Animal Crossing with far more town management, but the reality is that this game is purely town management that you just so happen to be able to run around in. Yes, you chop trees and mine rocks, but there is no life sim progression here, the tools are just there for you to pick up, use, and put back down when you're done. And the furnaces/machines are already there (although this might just be a demo consideration). So what is the actual gameplay? Largely, opening up shops and functions around the town, which involves paying for and marking an area of land, then gathering the resources to build the building. Lastly assigning a role to the building, a worker to the building, and deciding on what it will sell. These items also require resources so you'll be doing more gathering and then dropping them off at the stores so they can, well, operate, and put some money back into your town's budget. There is also automation where you hire workers to gather resources for you, which I imagine will be pretty important the larger your town gets. I dunno if this is 100% the game for me, it's an odd feel so far. I don't know if being a character running around is all that useful for a game like this, vs just being a point and click god-style interface like your average builder. Grade: C

This one looks like they were going for the Animal Crossing gameplay loop and then gave up on it halfway due to complexity, but left all the engine and running around mechanics. Damned shame.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The go-go town demo does have the residents say "I would give you a quest, but this is just the demo", to be fair to them. Their previous games were very much more in line with your expectations, and I'd be surprised if this demo is representative of the intended experience.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They haven’t programmed in saving/loading yet, so yeah it’s early in development

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Harminoff posted:

Cassette Beasts. A really fun Pokemon-like where your coop partner is in the overworld with you and you share combat controls.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Casette Beasts. A really fun Pokemon-like where your coop partner is in the overworld with you and you share combat controls.

I second this recommendation. It massively improves on the gameplay of Pokemon and also the soundtrack loving slaps.
It also has one of my favorite game features. Dynamic Soundtrack.
You can activate super mode where you combine together with your partner and when you do that loving lyrics kick in.
https://streamable.com/ctmz4k

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Impermanent posted:

battlebit remastered is incredible and in less than a month its going to become one of those games with a thread that rarely leaves the first two pages of the games subforum

Feels more like something like Red Orchestra/Insurgency than Battlefield to me, you die in like 2 or 3 shots and there's a whole lotta pixel sniping with iron sights.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Feels like they’re trying to find a medium between battlefield and squad but it kind of clashes. I have to manually check how many rounds are left in my magazine but I can blow up almost any building with the six RPGs I’m carrying.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I started playing Cassette Beasts this past week, most fun I've had with a Pokémon since Blue.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Was there always a hold on certain steam items being sold at unusual prices?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

goferchan posted:

Cross posting from the Roguelikes thread. Not sure how long the free playtest is going on, but if you click "request access" you should get in immediately. I am loving hooked on this game!

Also crossposting from the Roguelike thread after I just got my first victory. Balatro is super entertaining and should at least be on people's radars even if you don't want to do the playtest/demo.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Leal posted:

EA getting their lunch stolen by a game made by 3 people is hilarious

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey this is an incredibly nitpicky thing that is very silly to be irritated by.... but has the latest Steam update removed the ability to make the client remember your username but not your password? Basically the entire time I've had Steam I've told it not to remember my credentials because don't like auto-logging in, but it always saved my username and I just had to put in my password. Since the latest update, it's not remembering either the username or the pass unless I tell it to auto-login, which I don't want to do, so I have to put my username in each time.

It's like literally 0.3 seconds to do that so it's certainly not a gamebreaker or anything, it's just weird to me that it's been 15 years of one way and now it seems to be gone unless I'm missing a REALLY obvious fix?

God, this is the most weirdly minor thing I think I've ever been bothered enough to post about.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Whoever recommended Battlebit: Remastered - Thank you.
This game recaptures that chaos magic that was the older Battlefield games.
It's like BF3 and Squad had a baby - which then fell through a Roblox filter.
It looks chunky but the performance is slick, the massive playercounts are chaotic, the fact that anyone can revive (but only medics can heal) keeps the action going.
Oh and the RPG slaps - already sniping people with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYHC36DmaQ8
.... or deleting them up close:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHT9_9qGv90

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 18, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Having never played a battlefield game, what's the selling point of "No Jets" ?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Jets, and choppers, are generally played by people who do nothing to advance the objectives of the map or game mode, and just endlessly kill people for no other reason to up their K/D ratio. That, and the people that tend to play them are obsessives who do nothing but play jets and choppers, and become "sky gods" that bring gameplay to a halt as they fly around in nigh-unkillable vehicles snipping people from half the map away.

You can look at it with a jaundiced eye and view their extreme skill as commendable, but when a single player in a jet or chopper can single-handedly shut down an opposing team of 60 players, then no one is having fun except the pilot. If you want to see it, watch Silks videos, or when he's streaming. He does nothing but play choppers and jets, and keep can keep the entire opposing team locking down with his skills.

https://www.twitch.tv/silk

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 18, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

if you're one of the 95% of players in a match that isn't a jet yourself, your experience with their inclusion in the game is that you will sometimes just instantly die out of nowhere because of something that can cross the map in seconds and that you have basically no way to fight against.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

At least in the older BF games, jets were the ideal vehicle for "lone wolf playing for K/D, instead of actually playing the objective". You basically spend the entire game making 10-second strafe runs and getting a couple kills, then spending another 60-90 seconds zooming to the edge of the map while you rearm, slowly loop around, and then do it again. The only thing that can reliably kill a jet is another jet, because they're so fast that ground AA launchers can't stay locked onto them before they get out of range. (You usually can get one missile off but every jet has regenerating countermeasures so you need at least two, and it'll be gone by then.) So you basically have jet pilots playing an entirely separate game from everyone else, killing random people with impunity, and doing nothing to help the team win.

Choppers have this problem to a lesser degree, because while you can theoretically take them out with ground AA (or a lucky dumbfire rocket, which is a quintessential Battlefield Moment™), a smart pilot will dick around until their countermeasures are gone and then go camp in the friendly spawn until they regenerate. But at least they can stick around and actually focus on an objective.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't play Battlefield games but can't you solve that problem by making jets a bit slower and louder, to let people react to them, and maybe also buffing anti-air options?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Jack Trades posted:

I don't play Battlefield games but can't you solve that problem by making jets a bit slower and louder, to let people react to them, and maybe also buffing anti-air options?
You'd still need to have players willing to scan the skies and be ready to take down a jet making a run, while also keeping track of what's happening on the ground so they don't get shot. And lol if you think the average pubbie can handle that.

Jets are simply antithetical to the core Battlefield gameplay of "play the loving objective". Every other vehicle, choppers included, has to at least be physically present to help with an objective; jets meanwhile spend 90% of games nowhere near any of them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The other problem is that the anti air weapons don't really have any amount of interaction or skill. You just have to happen to be the right class and then point your rocket launcher up at the jet in the sky long enough to lock on. So there's no chance to really "outplay" them, you just take the literal one option available to you and then they either notice the big homing-missile-incoming warning on their screen and press the chaff button to live or they don't (probably because it's on cooldown) and they die. Even if you buffed antiair to make jets less annoying you wouldn't really fix that gameplay dynamic to be not bad.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Battlebit is great. $15 for what is essentially a better BF2042 but Roblox style.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Jets were fine in Desert Combat, but DC also wasn't infested with lock-on idiocy.

Battlefield has steadily regressed from its high point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ghostlore is really fun and by virtue of feeling good to play on controller, and its unique flavor, easily makes it my fave Diablo-like that I’ve played in, well, a while

I just wish there was more enemy variety.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

err posted:

Battlebit is great. $15 for what is essentially a better BF2042 but Roblox style.

Does it have an alternative to the Titan gamemode? I'm gonna be honest, that's the only thing I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The other problem is that the anti air weapons don't really have any amount of interaction or skill. You just have to happen to be the right class and then point your rocket launcher up at the jet in the sky long enough to lock on. So there's no chance to really "outplay" them, you just take the literal one option available to you and then they either notice the big homing-missile-incoming warning on their screen and press the chaff button to live or they don't (probably because it's on cooldown) and they die. Even if you buffed antiair to make jets less annoying you wouldn't really fix that gameplay dynamic to be not bad.

Don’t forget every time a Battlefield game stumbles it’s way into the MANPADS being good they are swiftly and brutally brought back into line before they can cause any kind of trouble for the sky lords.